What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (3 Viewers)

Charged with DUI

:blackdot:
Broncos running back Melvin Gordon has been cited for driving under the influence by the Denver Police Department.

Gordon was cited late Tuesday night per court and police documents obtained by Mike Klis of KUSA. He was also charged with going between 25 and 39 miles per hour above the speed limit.

Neither the team nor Gordon has commented on the incident yet. Gordon is subject to league discipline in addition to anything that happens via the legal system.

Gordon is set to be arraigned on Friday, November 13. The Broncos play in Las Vegas two days later. 

The running back is in his first season with the Broncos and has run 65 times for 281 yards and three touchdowns through four games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/14/melvin-gordon-cited-for-dui-tuesday-night/

How many times do we have to say it: 

Pro football players can afford a Lyft or Uber. Or at worst, a taxi.

Why are they driving drunk?!

I hope he’s suspended 4 games without pay. He coulda killed a family of 5 or himself or both.

I hate drunk drivers. Just so irresponsible. And there is literally no excuse.

And maybe we should talk about where he was & who he was drinking with - and whether COVID protocols were observed. 

Anyone know or recall of similiar cases to other players and what was the outcome/suspension
Usually takes a week or 2. Typically 2-3 game suspension. Herndon got popped last year & they suspended him 4 games.

That said, COVID may change things. If it’s determined that he was acting counter to the NFL’s COVID policy, he could be made a poster child, since they JUST cracked down on the Titans this week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know or recall of similiar cases to other players and what was the outcome/suspension
Herndon got 4 games but he actually crashed into someone. I believe the minimum is 2, but fact he was driving at such a high rate of speed or at such a high rate over the limit leads me to think he might gets a third game added.

I don't believe any suspension is handed down until the case is resolved in court.

Thinking of replacing him with Lindsay who is sitting on the waiver wire when his owner had to scramble to field a team the last few weeks.

Thin benches and I lost Dak so grabbed Dalton to back up Tannehill.  Ugh.  Gordon is my least valuable guy right now (besides Dalton, I guess).
Titans already had their bye.  In theory you could probably get away with not having a backup qb, i often dont carry one.

Usually takes a week or 2. Typically 2-3 game suspension. Herndon got popped last year & they suspended him 4 games.

That said, COVID may change things. If it’s determined that he was acting counter to the NFL’s COVID policy, he could be made a poster child, since they JUST cracked down on the Titans this week. 
To be clear, Herndon got a DUI in the fall during the season.  His 4 game suspension took place the following NFL calendar year.

In scrambles the past few weeks Lindsey and Gaskin became available.  Right now I have Gaskin ahead of Lindsey...even after this news.  Hoping I can land at least one of them as I know I have zero shot at Mattison (and really don't need the one week rental).

steelwind said:
To be clear, Herndon got a DUI in the fall during the season.  His 4 game suspension took place the following NFL calendar year.
Yes, the NFL usually hands down suspensions after the court case is resolved. IIRC, Herndon managed to delay his proceedings until the offseason, no? 

Also, it is worth noting the COVID situation. It seems unlikely he went out drinking alone. If he was with people, did he violate protocol? This alone may be worthy of a suspension. Goodell seems bent on making examples right now. This seems like a ripe opportunity. 

Yes, the NFL usually hands down suspensions after the court case is resolved. IIRC, Herndon managed to delay his proceedings until the offseason, no? 

Also, it is worth noting the COVID situation. It seems unlikely he went out drinking alone. If he was with people, did he violate protocol? This alone may be worthy of a suspension. Goodell seems bent on making examples right now. This seems like a ripe opportunity. 
That would seem extreme. Plenty of opportunity to drink with others in a socially distant manner. Great breweries in Denver!

That would seem extreme. Plenty of opportunity to drink with others in a socially distant manner. Great breweries in Denver!
Just speculating. We don’t yet know where this took place.

regardless, I’m sure it’s not a “feel good” story for the Broncos. 

Denver only has about 3-4 games that they are going to compete in the rest of the way, they've lost so much already this season, seems like they still need a franchise QB or one with a higher ceiling perhaps. You cut Gordon, one less guy that can win a game and get in your way of really snaring a franchise impact player whichever side of the ball that is. 

All aboard the Lindsay train!! (he's the better back anyway) 
It's close. Gordon is a good all around back, but Lindsay is more explosive. Gordon had that nice receiving TD vs the Steelers and he iced the last game with a long TD run. But the coach could punish him with a reduced workload. 

Coach Vic Fangio said he's "undecided" on if Melvin Gordon (DUI Tuesday) will face the Patriots in Week 6.

Fangio admitted there "will be some consequences" following Gordon's DUI Tuesday night in Denver. He was sent home from practice Wednesday. "He’s one of us, we’re gonna love him but there will be some consequences to what happened last night," Fangio said. If Gordon doesn't play, Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman would handle the backfield work. It's a tough matchup against New England.

RELATED: 

Phillip Lindsay

SOURCE: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter

Oct 14, 2020, 3:16 PM ET

COP: drivers license & registration 

HSG: here ya go. hey uh....you got any Rice Krispy treats?

COP: wat?

HSG: just sayin’...it’d be a lot cooler if you did.
Seriously - how unfair would that be? 

Cop: say the alphabet alphabet backwards

me: zyxwvutsrq-

Cop: ok, ok, Stand on 1 foot (stands on 1 foot) tilt your head back (tilts head) touch your nose (touches nose) 

Cop: ok, now walk this straight line. (sets plate of cookies like 4' off the line) 

Me: (makes a bee-line to the cookies) D'OH! :doh:  

:shakes fist: 

Seriously - how unfair would that be? 

Cop: say the alphabet alphabet backwards

me: zyxwvutsrq-

Cop: ok, ok, Stand on 1 foot (stands on 1 foot) tilt your head back (tilts head) touch your nose (touches nose) 

Cop: ok, now walk this straight line. (sets plate of cookies like 4' off the line) 

Me: (makes a bee-line to the cookies) D'OH! :doh:  

:shakes fist: 
It would have to be 3 tacos to make any sense at all.🌮🌮🌮

JoeSteeler said:
Broncos running back Melvin Gordon has been cited for driving under the influence by the Denver Police Department.

Gordon was cited late Tuesday night per court and police documents obtained by Mike Klis of KUSA. He was also charged with going between 25 and 39 miles per hour above the speed limit.

Neither the team nor Gordon has commented on the incident yet. Gordon is subject to league discipline in addition to anything that happens via the legal system.

Gordon is set to be arraigned on Friday, November 13. The Broncos play in Las Vegas two days later. 

The running back is in his first season with the Broncos and has run 65 times for 281 yards and three touchdowns through four games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/14/melvin-gordon-cited-for-dui-tuesday-night/
THats a weird in-between numbers there 

40+ probably gets you in deep Doo doo 
Not Sure about where Gordon was busted, but CA has a different set of penalties per category. Like points for K in FF. 25-39 over the limit; 40-50 over; 50+

IIRC anything over 20 MPH over the limit can be considered reckless driving at officer’s digression, making it a potential felony.

and yeah - 40+, 50+ over you’re looking at multiple charges. They’re package deals.

I don’t know the details off hand, but you don’t want to be doing 105 in a 75 while drunk. 

Since Melvin has a base salary of $1 million this year and a base salary of $4.5 million next year, wouldn't he save a lot of money in lost wages if he serves his suspension this year instead of next year?  Also, serving his suspension this year puts him in a better position in terms of not getting cut next year or getting a better contract if he were to be cut in the offseason.

So is this bum gonna play this week, or not?

Ask Vic. Even if he does, expect a "will not start" notification to go out on Sunday AM which will really muddy the situation. It could be one of those "won't 'start', but, will play the second series", or, "will play in the second quarter on", or "will play in the second half on", or "won't play at all unless everyone else gets hurt".

Melvin Gordon returned to Broncos practice Thursday. 

Gordon was held out of Wednesday's session following his Tuesday drunk-driving arrest. Gordon almost certainly wouldn't be practicing if the Broncos were planning to suspend him for Sunday's game against the Patriots. We suppose that could still happen, but at most, Gordon will probably receive a token 1-2 series "ban" before entering for the must-win game. He remains in the low-end RB2 ranks. Even with Gordon seemingly on track to play, Phillip Lindsay has low-end PPR FLEX appeal for a contest where Drew Lock (shoulder) will be returning under center. 

Oct 15, 2020, 1:22 PM ET

Ask Vic. Even if he does, expect a "will not start" notification to go out on Sunday AM which will really muddy the situation. It could be one of those "won't 'start', but, will play the second series", or, "will play in the second quarter on", or "will play in the second half on", or "won't play at all unless everyone else gets hurt".
Ugh this is going to be a nightmare.

Broncos RB Melvin Gordon (illness) is questionable to play Week 6 against the Patriots. 

Gordon was sent home from Friday's practice with an illness that's apparently not COVID related. Broncos beat writer Mike Klis said Gordon has been tested for the virus and is negative. If he's inactive, Phillip Lindsay becomes a viable PPR option against New England. 

RELATED: 

Phillip Lindsay

Oct 16, 2020, 3:23 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Melvin Gordon (illness) needs to be symptom-free on Saturday to make the trip to New England for Week 6.

Gordon does not have the coronavirus, but he does need to shake his current illness to board the flight tomorrow morning. The Broncos will learn if they'll have their starting running back on Saturday and don't appear to be suspending Gordon themselves for his mid-week DUI. The NFL could suspend him games within the next few weeks, however. If Gordon is out this week, Philip Lindsay becomes a volume-based RB2/3 in an impossible road matchup.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Oct 16, 2020, 8:15 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread