What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Ameer Abdullah rushed twice for seven yards in Thursday's preseason game against the Redskins.

Theo Riddick again got the "start" in place of Joique Bell, but Abdullah was featured on the first drive. Neither player was in the game for long, as Matthew Stafford played just two series. Abdullah has been impressive all offseason, including last week's preseason opener. He has 74 yards on just nine exhibition carries (8.2 yards per carry). He's going to have a big Week 1 role.

Aug 20 - 9:31 PM

I think roto is doing another rookie love (sankey last year). I think its a 3 headed rbbc with bell getting goal lines

Also, any homers here that go to Lions training camp? Has he been monopolizing goal line carries in practice?
For what it's worth (sorry no link) the local beat writers are saying Bell is the starter with Abdullah getting plenty of work and Reddick as the 3rd RB. Reddick was emulating Bell in last night's game. Beat writers are speculating Bell to get the goal line carries and Abdullah in the Reggie Bush role. Nothing concrete just the current vibe around here.

Crap! Ameer plays his 3rd pre-season game next Friday night against the Jags and I draft next Saturday. :wall:

What am I missing here? I keep hearing seemingly everyone rave about this guy and I watched last night and nothing really stood out to me. I mean, he looks good and did what was expected but is this a case where one highlight big run has people running away with it a bit?

Reading tea leaves, however, it does look like he is going to have a big role and that by itself maybe justifies it but I guess I was just expecting to tune in and watch him (against the Redskins, for sure) just get 4-5 straight carries and just chop of 6-7 yards a pop and look like he was crushing guys while doing it.

What am I missing here? I keep hearing seemingly everyone rave about this guy and I watched last night and nothing really stood out to me. I mean, he looks good and did what was expected but is this a case where one highlight big run has people running away with it a bit?

Reading tea leaves, however, it does look like he is going to have a big role and that by itself maybe justifies it but I guess I was just expecting to tune in and watch him (against the Redskins, for sure) just get 4-5 straight carries and just chop of 6-7 yards a pop and look like he was crushing guys while doing it.
people like him overall, then in preseason game 1 he rips off a big run against the jets.

We really don't know the regular season usage between him/Bell/and Theo Riddick, but talent usually rises, however I think Lombardi has roles carved out for these guys like he did in NO, think Ingram/Sproles/Pierre Thomas

He will likely be over drafted.

They kept him out of practice a couple of days ago in addition to only giving him 2 carries last night. Smells to me like they're protecting him because they know what they have already (and their presumed starter is already recovering from injury).

They kept him out of practice a couple of days ago in addition to only giving him 2 carries last night. Smells to me like they're protecting him because they know what they have already (and their presumed starter is already recovering from injury).
This is correct.

The two carries last night is a very good sign. I agree with rotoworld's take which is essentially, he's going to be a big part of the gameplan week 1.

I think the other x-factor is he is one of the few rookie RBs generating any buzz right now...Gurley still has injury questions, Gordon appears to be off to slow start, Duke and Yeldon have been banged up and the rest of the crew doesn't seem to have anyone really lighting it up...

Here is my view and I'm counting on Abdullah to be a decent RB2 in one league where I am pretty stacked almost everywhere else.

It seems the Lions were most successful a couple years back using Bell as the main carrier/short yardage back and Bush splitting and also playing a fair amount in more of a receiving role. They probably get back more to that. Bell's numbers might be more variable each week if they are running more and I think they would like to get him 15 carries a game if they are running well. Abdullah is probably more in that 5-10 carries plus receiving role and he sees a pickup in weeks where they are passing a lot.

Add: In 2013 in our scoring Reggie Bush finished as RB#10 with 190 points and Joique Bell was RB#17 with 157 points. I think both guys can offer RB#2 type numbers and will assuming they both stay healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, any homers here that go to Lions training camp? Has he been monopolizing goal line carries in practice?
For what it's worth (sorry no link) the local beat writers are saying Bell is the starter with Abdullah getting plenty of work and Reddick as the 3rd RB. Reddick was emulating Bell in last night's game. Beat writers are speculating Bell to get the goal line carries and Abdullah in the Reggie Bush role. Nothing concrete just the current vibe around here.
Thanks Lionsfan. That's what I was afraid of.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Shutout said:

people like him overall, then in preseason game 1 he rips off a big run against the jets.

We really don't know the regular season usage between him/Bell/and Theo Riddick, but talent usually rises, however I think Lombardi has roles carved out for these guys like he did in NO, think Ingram/Sproles/Pierre Thomas
The Saints let their QB coach determine their RB rotation? No wonder their running game was always so screwed up!

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Shutout said:

He will likely be over drafted.
Brandon Oliver had a big game against the Jets last year.

Is it just me or are the Lions being weird about Bell's status? Isn't the hype on Abdullah at this point based at least partly on the notion that Bell is not healthy now and might never be or even if he gets out there he might not be effective? If Bell is out, is it still a committee? Or is it Ameer as bellcow and Riddick for change of pace once in a while?

If Bell is healthy I'd expect about a 50/50 split with Bell getting GL carries

I'd expect Abdullah to see more early game carries and Bell more of a closer to eat clock when they have the lead late in game

Riddick will likely be the guy in any 2 minute drills

I'd expect Abdullah to see more early game carries and Bell more of a closer to eat clock when they have the lead late in game

I have a feeling Riddick will be the 2 minute guy also. That's significant. If Abdullah is a force catching the ball and running with it, he might replace him in that role eventually. But Riddick performed very well in those situations last year, he has good hands and has a knack for getting first downs.

This is the perfect type of situation to make a bet on. Good offense, a short term injured RB as a starter and he's shown some electric ability and people have been raving about him all camp. He's certainly getting to an expensive point though.

People that got him early have a nice little chip. I was in a keeper / dynasty draft today and didn't think I'd get a shot at him due to his hype but not only did I have a shot at him somehow Gurley inexplicably dropped to me as well. So I had the choice between the two and had to go Gurley otherwise I'd be an Ameer owner today. Hope I made the right call.

I have a feeling Riddick will be the 2 minute guy also. That's significant. If Abdullah is a force catching the ball and running with it, he might replace him in that role eventually. But Riddick performed very well in those situations last year, he has good hands and has a knack for getting first downs.
So does Abdullah. Here's another from his Junior year showing the rare occasion that Nebraska let him run down the field on a route

So, while I fully acknowledge that Gurley and Gordon and Ajayi are very good prospects and could also end up as good starters in the league, Ameer is my #1 RB target (and really overall player) in this draft.
As someone with the 1.02, I hope the 1.01 in my league is also a Nebraska homer.
Where is everyone seeing him go in rookie drafts?
He went at the 1.01 two days ago in my rookie draft.
:oldunsure: It wasn't me, I swear.

I think roto is doing another rookie love (sankey last year). I think its a 3 headed rbbc with bell getting goal lines
I am going to go with the LESS we see of Ameer in the preseason, the HIGHER his chance of being used heavily in the regular season.

Only two carries last night? Positive sign. In general, limited play time may keep his draft stock down but I think the cat is out of the bag.

I'll admit I jumped on this train after seeing just one carry and now realize the risk involved.

Are there any reports out there of Bell coming back? It's always on the timeline but I've seen nothing about his conditioning or getting close to practicing. Somehow I just don't see that gimp returning to the practice field after not having played much all off season and training camp, who knows what his physical condition is now. And then suddenly Bell is going to return as the starter week 1? This has all of the look of a timeshare from the very beginning. And with 40-50% of the touches to start off with, Abdullah should be at least flex-worthy.

Taking a hard look at Abdullah on Fanduel ta $5,900 week 1 @ SD. A lot of risk given it's his first game and due to the unclear timeshare, but could be a nice tourney play.

Where is everyone seeing him go in rookie drafts?
He went at the 1.01 two days ago in my rookie draft.
Big fan here but this is insane, no way I would take him over Cooper or Gordon, perhaps it's a tossup with Gordon but 1.03-1.04 at the most.
Todd Gurley says hi.
I should clarify that in my rookie draft, we include developmental players from college, so Gurley, Gordon and Cooper were already spoken for prior to the 1.01. Kind of a big difference.

I got him at 1.05 a couple weeks ago just after his first preseason game. Ours went Gordon-Gurley-Yeldon-Cooper-Abdullah.

Could you guys put who were drafted before him.

Thnx,

GM
I got him at 1.06 in early July. I had a need at RB, but probably would've taken him here anyways as I was higher on him than Agoholor, Parker, Coleman, and DGB (who went next in that order).

12 team ppr dynasty 22 roster slots, (1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 2flex, 1pk, 1dst), 4 taxi squad (1-2nd year players only), 2 IR (nfl IR only)

Draft went:

1.01: Gurley

1.02: Cooper

1.03: Gordon

1.04: Yeldon

1.05: White

Love this kid, and was debating whether or not I might "stretch" and grab him at the 3/4 turn in a 12 team redraft.

Never had the chance...he went at 2.11 (NON PPR!)

No upside at that point, IMO. Hype train has jumped the rails.

10-team PPR Dynasty, 24-man roster, draft on 8/23/2015 :

01.01 RB Todd Gurley
01.02 RB Melvin Gordon
01.03 WR Amari Cooper
01.04 RB T.J. Yeldon
01.05 RB Ameer Abdullah
01.06 WR Kevin White
01.07 WR Nelson Agholor
01.08 QB Marcus Mariota
01.09 WR Dorial Green-Beckham
01.10 WR DeVante Parker
02.01 RB Duke Johnson
02.02 WR Breshad Perriman
02.03 RB Tevin Coleman
02.04 RB David Cobb
02.05 RB David Johnson
02.06 WR Devin Funchess
02.07 QB Jameis Winston
02.08 WR Tyler Lockett
02.09 RB Matt Jones
02.10 RB Jay Ajayi
03.01 WR Phillip Dorsett
03.02 WR Sammie Coates
03.03 RB Javorius Allen
03.04 RB Josh Robinson

Love this kid, and was debating whether or not I might "stretch" and grab him at the 3/4 turn in a 12 team redraft.

That's one of the worst picks i've ever seen.

Not that it is related to Abdullah, but last night I did a live local league draft. Worst pick, Kevin White at 5.05. We all laughed and said are you sure? He is going to be out at least 6 games. This guy said yes, you gus just let me win the league because he is going to go OBJ the second half of the season. No alcohol was involved!

I think at the end of the season, a 2nd round pick will look just about right.

With that said, I'm VERY high on him and there's plenty of downside at 2.11.

:blackdot:

Grabbed him as my RB3 at 7.3 in a 12 team redraft the other night. I wasn't even really targeting him but he kept falling.

Not that it is related to Abdullah, but last night I did a live local league draft. Worst pick, Kevin White at 5.05. We all laughed and said are you sure? He is going to be out at least 6 games. This guy said yes, you gus just let me win the league because he is going to go OBJ the second half of the season. No alcohol was involved!
Wait, live draft and no alcohol involved?

Wait, live draft and no alcohol involved?
There was alcohol, this person just doesn't drink.

I think Abdullah has a very real chance at becoming what we all hoped Jahvid Best would become a few years ago before all the injuries.

Just my opinion, but to my untrained eye and he's got all the makings of a prototype PPR fantasy running back. I'm buying the hype...with or without Bell in the lineup.

I think Abdullah has a very real chance at becoming what we all hoped Jahvid Best would become a few years ago before all the injuries.

Just my opinion, but to my untrained eye and he's got all the makings of a prototype PPR fantasy running back. I'm buying the hype...with or without Bell in the lineup.
Why did you have to bring that up? Now I'm probably going to spend $30 on Abdullah. I hope you are right.

12 team PPR dynasty, 23 man roster, drafted 8/23.

1.01 - Gurley

1.02 - Abdullah

1.03 - Cooper

1.04 - Gordon

1.05 - Agholor

1.06 - Yeldon

1.07 - Parker

1.08 - White

1.09 - Perriman

1.10 - Du. Johnson

1.11 - Da. Johnson

1.12 - Coleman

I had the 2nd and 5th picks. Went back and forth between Cooper and Abdullah. I think Cooper is the safer choice, but Abdullah wasn't going to make it to the 5th pick.

I end up with AA/Agholor, would have gone Cooper/Yeldon had I gone the other way. Feel like I chose the higher ceiling players with lower floors.

Users who are viewing this thread