Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon

EBF

I would love to own him in redraft this year because I believe in the talent but at this point his ADP is all ceiling and little risk. FFcalc shows he's moved up two full rounds since (6.01->4.01) since early Aug. and is sitting at RB16 in PPR.

If his ADP rises any further, you'll need a Bell injury (even then there'd likely be some type of committee) to get a return on your investment. Abdullah's predicted role currently just doesn't entail the volume necessary to keep up with his rising ADP.

In fact, Bell might be the real value play if the gap between the two continues to expand. I'd need to hear some positive news regarding his injuries first but if Bell drops any further I'll take a stab at him over the back-ups/cuffs going around him.

Edited by SameSongNDance
  • Like 1

Do people not realize the second preseason game does not usually feature starters? The third preseason game is where starters usually play a significant amount. With Bell out, Ameer will probably have an expanded role in this weeks game. Ameer will start the season in the Reggie Bush role and have an opportunity to expand that through performance or if Bell is not healthy. He should be considered around RB20 with good upside.

Do people not realize the second preseason game does not usually feature starters? The third preseason game is where starters usually play a significant amount. With Bell out, Ameer will probably have an expanded role in this weeks game. Ameer will start the season in the Reggie Bush role and have an opportunity to expand that through performance or if Bell is not healthy. He should be considered around RB20 with good upside.

Ok. So far he's had exactly one good carry, on the field, in a pseudo-NFL game. (preseason)

What happens if he gets starter reps this week and goes 10 carries for 30 yards? At what point will people stop anchoring on one good run in week 1 of preseason?

Ok. So far he's had exactly one good carry, on the field, in a pseudo-NFL game. (preseason)

What happens if he gets starter reps this week and goes 10 carries for 30 yards? At what point will people stop anchoring on one good run in week 1 of preseason?

The hype is based on he's having an outstanding camp and has looked good in what little pre-season he has been in. My point was more about the naysayers who are basing things incorrectly off a preseason game in which starters were not being featured.

The mportant thing about Preseason game 3 is that he rolls with the starters. Watch for if he can pick up blockers and does not make mistakes.

Edited by jon_mx

The hype is based on he's having an outstanding camp and has looked good in what little pre-season he has been in. My point was more about the naysayers who are basing things incorrectly off a preseason game in which starters were not being featured.

The only thing important about Preseason game 3 is that he rolls with the starters.

I haven't seen this naysaying you're referring too. I think the issue some are clinging onto is that he is 2nd on the depth chart, even behind Riddick. That in and of itself seems comical but it also could be a strong indication Det doesn't view him as a lead RB. Therefor, it's a placeholder until Bell returns.

Kid looks good tonight move him up to the 2 round

He does?

NFL.com has him at 2 carries for 7 yards 0 catches

Yeah I don't get it either. From his stats it was a pretty mediocre night. Is this really what all the hype is about? Did he have a couple of long runs called back that aren't showing up in the stats?

These were the type of comments I was referring to. If you really believe Theo is the #2 back in Detroit, then draft him.

He does?

Yeah I don't get it either. From his stats it was a pretty mediocre night. Is this really what all the hype is about? Did he have a couple of long runs called back that aren't showing up in the stats?

These were the type of comments I was referring to. If you really believe Theo is the #2 back in Detroit, then draft him.

I don't think Theo is the #2 back in Det and that wasn't the point.

I also don't see anything wrong with that exchange nor do I see it as naysaying on Ameer. Someone claimed he looked good. Others simply pointed out he didn't really do much, so how did he look good?

If anything, that looks like overzealous Ameer love. He hardly played, did nothing really worthwhile and yet got pimped. None of that deters him looking good in camp and otherwise. It just looks strange to pimp him at that juncture.

• Like 1

In looking at these recent dynasty rookie drafts the takeaway is how much drafters are weighing preseason injuries (Yeldon/Parker) in their selections - especially D.Parker.

Parker was pick 4 or 5 in most every PPR rookie draft up until 3 weeks ago. If he is falling to picks 9-12 he is a steal there.

• Like 1

12 team PPR dynasty, 23 man roster, drafted 8/23.

1.01 - Gurley

1.02 - Abdullah

1.03 - Cooper

1.04 - Gordon

1.05 - Agholor

1.06 - Yeldon

1.07 - Parker

1.08 - White

1.09 - Perriman

1.10 - Du. Johnson

1.11 - Da. Johnson

1.12 - Coleman

I had the 2nd and 5th picks. Went back and forth between Cooper and Abdullah. I think Cooper is the safer choice, but Abdullah wasn't going to make it to the 5th pick.

I end up with AA/Agholor, would have gone Cooper/Yeldon had I gone the other way. Feel like I chose the higher ceiling players with lower floors.

Good chance you could have gotten Abdullah at 5. Passing on A.Cooper at 2 is something you might regret for the next decade.

He does?

I don't think Theo is the #2 back in Det and that wasn't the point.

I also don't see anything wrong with that exchange nor do I see it as naysaying on Ameer. Someone claimed he looked good. Others simply pointed out he didn't really do much, so how did he look good?

If anything, that looks like overzealous Ameer love. He hardly played, did nothing really worthwhile and yet got pimped. None of that deters him looking good in camp and otherwise. It just looks strange to pimp him at that juncture.

I'm an AA pimper and I agree with this. One guy came out and said he looked good. He was either fishing or just blindly throwing that statement out there because I watched the game and it was impossible to get an idea of how he looked because he saw next to no action and the 2 runs he had were pedestrian at best. Not because he wasn't talented enough to get more out of them but simply because the plays were bottled up immediately and he (like most other backs in the league would) got what he could.

12 team PPR dynasty, 23 man roster, drafted 8/23.

1.01 - Gurley

1.02 - Abdullah

1.03 - Cooper

1.04 - Gordon

1.05 - Agholor

1.06 - Yeldon

1.07 - Parker

1.08 - White

1.09 - Perriman

1.10 - Du. Johnson

1.11 - Da. Johnson

1.12 - Coleman

I had the 2nd and 5th picks. Went back and forth between Cooper and Abdullah. I think Cooper is the safer choice, but Abdullah wasn't going to make it to the 5th pick.

I end up with AA/Agholor, would have gone Cooper/Yeldon had I gone the other way. Feel like I chose the higher ceiling players with lower floors.

Good chance you could have gotten Abdullah at 5. Passing on A.Cooper at 2 is something you might regret for the next decade.

My recent dynasty rookie draft:

1.01 Gurley, Todd STL RB ® Mon Aug 24 6:05:21 p.m. ET 2015

1.02 Parker, DeVante MIA WR ® Mon Aug 24 6:06:08 p.m. ET 2015

1.03 Cooper, Amari OAK WR ® Mon Aug 24 6:08:04 p.m. ET 2015

1.04 Abdullah, Ameer DET RB ® Mon Aug 24 6:08:14 p.m. ET 2015

1.05 Gordon, Melvin SDC RB ® Mon Aug 24 6:11:52 p.m. ET 2015

1.06 Agholor, Nelson PHI WR ® Mon Aug 24 6:12:02 p.m. ET 2015

1.07 Green-Beckham, Dorial TEN WR ® Mon Aug 24 6:12:48 p.m. ET 2015

1.08 Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB ® Mon Aug 24 6:14:48 p.m. ET 2015

1.09 Coleman, Tevin ATL RB ® Mon Aug 24 6:15:47 p.m. ET 2015

1.10 Funchess, Devin CAR WR ® Mon Aug 24 6:16:24 p.m. ET 2015

1.11 White, Kevin CHI WR ® Mon Aug 24 6:17:09 p.m. ET 2015

1.12 Dorsett, Phillip IND WR ® Mon Aug 24 6:22:23 p.m. ET 2015

I almost took AA #2 but I am higher than most on Parker. I think in the next 3yrs he's going to end up being the best WR in this class in the better offense. I also had the #8 and #12. I was trying to trade down to 3 or 4 (dolphins fan who wanted parker) and take AA there. I don't think he gets past #4 in most drafts.

Edited by mikmak8902

I don't get it, you want us to discount his good run in these pseudo games, but if he gets shut down in one of these pseudo games you want us to back off the hype?

The thing is he reminds a lot of people of Javhid Best when he was healthy, and when he was healthy for the Lions he was a borderline rb1 with upside to win you your game that week by himself. That is very valuable in fantasy football, especially a his current price.

The only thing important about Preseason game 3 is that he rolls with the starters.

I haven't seen this naysaying you're referring too. I think the issue some are clinging onto is that he is 2nd on the depth chart, even behind Riddick. That in and of itself seems comical but it also could be a strong indication Det doesn't view him as a lead RB. Therefor, it's a placeholder until Bell returns.

Naysaying: "Ok. So far he's had exactly one good carry, on the field, in a pseudo-NFL game. (preseason)"

Naysaying: "Ok. So far he's had exactly one good carry, on the field, in a pseudo-NFL game. (preseason)"

Which isn't the naysaying being referenced. It was the limited exposure in game 2.

I've yet to see anyone naysay him for that.

I don't get it, you want us to discount his good run in these pseudo games, but if he gets shut down in one of these pseudo games you want us to back off the hype?

The thing is he reminds a lot of people of Javhid Best when he was healthy, and when he was healthy for the Lions he was a borderline rb1 with upside to win you your game that week by himself. That is very valuable in fantasy football, especially a his current price.

I want people to be consistent.

I personally wouldn't overly anchor on good or bad preseason results. That single run told me almost nothing in isolation.

As an Abdullah owner, what I liked about that run was it reinforced everything I've read about him from training camp. His coaches and teammates clearly see something special, and that preseason run was the only tangible evidence I've seen to back up what what his coaches and teammates are staying.

But others in here......it is almost like people saw the long run, in isolation, and said "wow, Abdullah is amazing. He is now #3 on my rookie draft board."

I picked him #5 in a non-PPR rookie draft 3 weeks ago (behind Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, Cooper). Pretty sure he would go in exactly the same slot if we held the draft today. And that seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1

That isn't naysaying.

Love this kid, and was debating whether or not I might "stretch" and grab him at the 3/4 turn in a 12 team redraft.

Never had the chance...he went at 2.11 (NON PPR!)

No upside at that point, IMO. Hype train has jumped the rails.

That's one of the worst picks i've ever seen.
Not that it is related to Abdullah, but last night I did a live local league draft. Worst pick, Kevin White at 5.05. We all laughed and said are you sure? He is going to be out at least 6 games. This guy said yes, you gus just let me win the league because he is going to go OBJ the second half of the season. No alcohol was involved!

Wait, live draft and no alcohol involved?

There was alcohol, this person just doesn't drink.

Maybe he should start.

Love this kid, and was debating whether or not I might "stretch" and grab him at the 3/4 turn in a 12 team redraft.

Never had the chance...he went at 2.11 (NON PPR!)

No upside at that point, IMO. Hype train has jumped the rails.

That's one of the worst picks i've ever seen.
Not that it is related to Abdullah, but last night I did a live local league draft. Worst pick, Kevin White at 5.05. We all laughed and said are you sure? He is going to be out at least 6 games. This guy said yes, you gus just let me win the league because he is going to go OBJ the second half of the season. No alcohol was involved!

Wait, live draft and no alcohol involved?

There was alcohol, this person just doesn't drink.

He should start.

Did Zenner look better than Abdullah so far?

I guess. I mean he got more yards, but he also had more to work with in terms of the blocking. Ameer ran a wheel route and it was going to be a very big play but Stafford overthrew him.

Zenner has definitely looked better tonight.

I don't agree. Both looked good IMO. Ameer did get pulled at the GL.

Yeah, Zenner hasn't looked special at all for me tonight. Did what you'd expect an NFL RB to do on the plays that he had.

He didn't have to look special to look better than Ameer. Ameer didn't look special either. He looked, OK. Zenner looks, OK but slight better.

Yeah, Zenner hasn't looked special at all for me tonight. Did what you'd expect an NFL RB to do on the plays that he had.

He didn't have to look special to look better than Ameer. Ameer didn't look special either. He looked, OK. Zenner looks, OK but slight better.

Very much disagree, but kind of a pointless argument. Zenner is fighting to even make the team. Abdullah's role isn't in danger.

Very much disagree, but kind of a pointless argument. Zenner is fighting to even make the team. Abdullah's role isn't in danger.

You think Ameer looked special tonight... Well OK then. I guess there is no point.

I don't expect Zenner to do much of anything but I'm willing to give credit where it's due. He's looked pretty decent.

You think Ameer looked special tonight... Well OK then. I guess there is no point.

I don't expect Zenner to do much of anything but I'm willing to give credit where it's due. He's looked pretty decent.

Never even came close to saying that. Just said that Zenner's stats felt empty. Big holes, good blocking, ran straight ahead. Nothing to write home about.

tell me more about zenner. :popcorn:

Standout at SD state, set several school records

To be clear, that is South Dakota not San Diego. I think he could end up taking the Bell role if Joique isn't healthy enough to play. He is 5-11, 230 with speed.

Edited by Ilov80s

Zenner's big run wasn't "earned." It was just a wide open sweep around the edge. No moves required.

Ameer only got three carries tonight. I take it as a good sign that they're not using him much, as it suggests "we know what we have."

• Like 2

Zenner's big run wasn't "earned." It was just a wide open sweep around the edge. No moves required.

Ameer only got three carries tonight. I take it as a good sign that they're not using him much, as it suggests "we know what we have."

I agree with the "we know what we have" statement but I've been watching Zenner intently through the camp and first 3 weeks of the PS and he's legit. He has just enough power and wiggle to go with that speed to make him very effective as a #2 back. If Joique Bell doesn't return quickly, he may not return much this season if Zenner starts the year with touches.

Edited by Futz

I just worry when Ameer gets pulled inside the 5 when Bell is out. I don't play in ppr so lack of runs from close give me some concern. Still love his ability though..

Ameer is more of a PPR back as he should lead the RB's in recieving. I seriously doubt he gets the GL carries. Detroit will have two backs worth owning, but no too 10 stud.

thats who Zenner is. He doesn't shake. He goes straight ahead with power and speed.