What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

Pushed his per game average over 30 today with his stellar 8-43-0 performance. Oh, and zero targets.

Droppable in all redraft formats.
He will rot on my bench instead of dropping him and watching someone pick him up free and then go off after investing a high pick on him.
I invested a high redraft (3 keeper) pick on him, then took Foster late since everyone was afraid to pull the trigger. Last couple weeks have been starting Foster and Woodhead, with AA sitting on my bench...hoping. Now I'm screwed.

I have him in a 14 team league with decent size bench. Only draft pick I whiffed on but I feel like there is still time for him to get it and come on strong by playoff time. I doubt there's anything on the waiver wire either I'd rather have either with that many teams. A 12 team or lower league, I could maybe see cutting him loose. Overall I think there is still hope.

In a league where we only need to start 1RB - I'm dropping him and rolling with GB's backfield Lacy/Starks rest of season.

Even with guys like Jonathan Stewart on waivers in a short 12 team bench league.

Okay so, Lombardi was fired today and the former OL coach Cooter is taking over. Caldwell is still there but maybe a shake-up at OC can help AA. I also decided to go back and watch his film from last week and he still looks very good to me, I will be uploading the video shortly.

He's still not startable but I still feel like he deserves a bench spot in redraft.

Lombardi fired as well as OL coach. I'm guessing this is good news for Abdullah????? Any insight into Jim Bob Cooter, the new OC?

Okay so, Lombardi was fired today and the former OL coach Cooter is taking over. Caldwell is still there but maybe a shake-up at OC can help AA. I also decided to go back and watch his film from last week and he still looks very good to me, I will be uploading the video shortly.

He's still not startable but I still feel like he deserves a bench spot in redraft.
Well, he did average 5.375 per carry this week. Zero targets. Plus side, no fumbles.

Lombardi fired as well as OL coach. I'm guessing this is good news for Abdullah????? Any insight into Jim Bob Cooter, the new OC?
He's smart. No schtick, 35 on his ACT.Worked for Fox in Denver, Fox wanted to hire him in Chicago to be the OC.

UT guy.

Once was arrested for burglary.

That's all I got. But it's all true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am invested in him in a dynasty type league so I hope he works out. I'm no expert and don't watch film but it seemed to me like he tended to slam into the line a bit early and not wait to let the blocks set up. I could be wrong.

I am invested in him in a dynasty type league so I hope he works out. I'm no expert and don't watch film but it seemed to me like he tended to slam into the line a bit early and not wait to let the blocks set up. I could be wrong.
Although I think the OL played better vs. MIN I don't really think AA has the luxury of being able to be patient and let plays develop. IMO he either hits the first hole he sees or the play is going to get blown up. I'm no expert either, however.

BobbyLayne said:
ahartig said:
He's smart. No schtick, 35 on his ACT.Worked for Fox in Denver, Fox wanted to hire him in Chicago to be the OC.

UT guy.

Can't be too smart if you got caught stealing something.

BobbyLayne said:
ahartig said:

UT guy.

Can't be too smart if you got caught stealing something.
He didn't steal anything. ETA - 5 things

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25354693/who-is-jim-bob-cooter-five-things-to-know-about-the-new-lions-oc

It's not the talent...it's the situation. Kid has uber talent. His line has been dreadful and his QB looks awful so far.

Things can't get any worse. Hopefully the OC and OL coaching changes will be the shot in the arm the offense needs.

Redraft - moderate hold

Dynasty - über strong hold

I'm amazed at Miami's turnaround, and specifically Miller & Tannehill, since the coaching change.

But I don't expect the same kind of miracles in Motown.

Coming up: @KC, bye, @GB, Oak, Phi, GB, @StL

The rest of the fantasy regular season is mostly bad match-ups. Even if Oak/Phi aren't bad, can I bring myself to start this guy when he isn't showing much? Ugh.

I'm amazed at Miami's turnaround, and specifically Miller & Tannehill, since the coaching change.

Miami came off a bye and got to face Tennessee and Houston. It's not that amazing.

kOOk said:

Miami came off a bye and got to face Tennessee and Houston. It's not that amazing.
Well, let's review. During the bye week they were 30th in the Power Rankings. After the bye week they won by 28, and the next week they were up 41-0. Here's a complete list of NFL teams that have had back to back dominating games during the 2015 season:

Arizona

Miami

New England

One of these is not like the other two.

Back on topic: if Detroit, as expected, abandons the zone blocking scheme that cost three people their jobs, who benefits the most? Joique is healthier & still will see some work, Theo leads all NFL backs in receptions, and we kind of still don't know what AA is besides a fumbler with potential.

How does it play out from here?

Not sure what you're saying with that list. They aren't close to the other two, selective statistics is what I'd call it. Because they beat the Titans and the Texans convincingly somehow puts them up with AZ and NE?

They have 4 of their next 5 games on the road, including 3 in a row (Pats, Bills, Eagles). Then Dallas at home in W11 with Romo and Dez back. Then they play at the Jets. We will see if they are still amazing after that stretch.

kOOk said:

Well, let's review. During the bye week they were 30th in the Power Rankings. After the bye week they won by 28, and the next week they were up 41-0. Here's a complete list of NFL teams that have had back to back dominating games during the 2015 season:Arizona

Miami

New England

One of these is not like the other two.

Back on topic: if Detroit, as expected, abandons the zone blocking scheme that cost three people their jobs, who benefits the most? Joique is healthier & still will see some work, Theo leads all NFL backs in receptions, and we kind of still don't know what AA is besides a fumbler with potential.

How does it play out from here?
My prediction is that it's still going to be an RBBC. Caldwell seems to prefer some sort of committee based on his previous history with the Colts and Ravens and guys who's strength seems to be in scheming such as Cooter(lol) usually prefer a committee as well.

Although I think the OL played better vs. MIN I don't really think AA has the luxury of being able to be patient and let plays develop. IMO he either hits the first hole he sees or the play is going to get blown up. I'm no expert either, however.
The thing I am noticing is he seems to have a jet pack on. If he ever gets a crease, he'll be gone.

The thing I am noticing is he seems to have a jet pack on. If he ever gets a crease, he'll be gone.
Tremendous burst! We saw that twice in his very limited preseason, and first carry of the season (24 yard rushing TD.) Somehow they have gone almost half of a season & not figured out ways to get him the ball in space.

Such a wasted talent ATM. Hoping JBC finds a way to get him touches out wide & on screens.

Not a great top end burner, though. I wouldn't expect long home runs where he runs away from the crowd. But he's definitely got big play potential.

Tremendous burst! We saw that twice in his very limited preseason, and first carry of the season (24 yard rushing TD.) Somehow they have gone almost half of a season & not figured out ways to get him the ball in space.

Such a wasted talent ATM. Hoping JBC finds a way to get him touches out wide & on screens.

Not a great top end burner, though. I wouldn't expect long home runs where he runs away from the crowd. But he's definitely got big play potential.
Agreed, It's more about his first step than his top end speed. But if he jukes the first few guys out of their shoes, he'll be gone anyway.

Sadly Abdullah's decline doesn't seem to be as much about opportunity as it does ball security...gonna be a big "what if..." when the season ends. Think David Wilson

kOOk said:

Well, let's review. During the bye week they were 30th in the Power Rankings. After the bye week they won by 28, and the next week they were up 41-0. Here's a complete list of NFL teams that have had back to back dominating games during the 2015 season:

Arizona

Miami

New England
Not sure what you're saying with that list. They aren't close to the other two, selective statistics is what I'd call it. Because they beat the Titans and the Texans convincingly somehow puts them up with AZ and NE?

They have 4 of their next 5 games on the road, including 3 in a row (Pats, Bills, Eagles). Then Dallas at home in W11 with Romo and Dez back. Then they play at the Jets. We will see if they are still amazing after that stretch.
So yeah, Miami was a mirage. And the road ahead ain't pretty.

I just moved A.J. Green and Abdullah for Forsett and Cooks. I'm honestly shocked he drew any interest at all. I'm still infatuated because I watch his tape and still believe in him as a player but how anyone would willingly invest DET's backfield is beyond me. It's possible that the OC change may have changed his perceived value so I guess it can't hurt to shop him around some.

I just moved A.J. Green and Abdullah for Forsett and Cooks. I'm honestly shocked he drew any interest at all.
Are you sure that Abdullah drew interest?

AJ Green, by himself, is worth more than Forsett and Cooks.
Outside of one game Green really hasn't been all that great this year and obviously reflected in his rankings as the 18th best WR on a PPG basis.

Also, in the context of my team I had Julio, Hopkins, Green, J. Brown and Diggs and was in dire need of some RB help (I drafted Abdullah after all) so the trade makes a lot of sense for me. Value wise I really do think the trade was pretty lateral.

No one gives a #### about my team or circumstances, I just know Abdullah specifically drew interest from the dude I traded with.

I understand the interest in Ameer. He probably realizes that if the Lions coaching staff ever got their heads out of their asses, he could be a force to be reckoned with.

I just moved A.J. Green and Abdullah for Forsett and Cooks. I'm honestly shocked he drew any interest at all. I'm still infatuated because I watch his tape and still believe in him as a player but how anyone would willingly invest DET's backfield is beyond me. It's possible that the OC change may have changed his perceived value so I guess it can't hurt to shop him around some.
Redraft I hope. Cooks and Green are both drawing about the same amount of targets. It appears Green's days of 170+ targets/year are over, but he's still a better player than Cooks and has 8 red zone targets already this year. But Forsett is producing while Abdullah is not.

Personally, would've wanted to wait to see what happens with the new OC before moving him. I'm no scout, but like you said, the talent sure appears to be there.

Redraft I hope. Cooks and Green are both drawing about the same amount of targets. It appears Green's days of 170+ targets/year are over, but he's still a better player than Cooks and has 8 red zone targets already this year. But Forsett is producing while Abdullah is not.

Personally, would've wanted to wait to see what happens with the new OC before moving him. I'm no scout, but like you said, the talent sure appears to be there.
Redraft of course. I still own a share of AA somewhere else though so I'm not totally divested.

Ultimately, I think the change to Cooter its going to help Stafford/Calvin/Tate the most. Caldwell is still the head coach and Modkins is still the running backs coach (who was also just given the added duty of run game coordinator). Modkins is the only staffer who attempted to throw cold water on AA during the preseason saying "he still has a lot to learn" and etc. while everyone else was raving about him. It's certainly possible that the team decides to lean heavily on AA now but I don't think it's probable. Bell is still there and they love Riddick. I'd rather capitalize on the perceived mystery surrounding the situation and move him now if possible.

Rotoworld:

Ameer Abdullah - RB - Lions

Lions.com’s Tim Twentyman reports OC Jim Bob Cooter has simplified some of Detroit’s running and protection schemes.

The Lions are moving to a more traditional run scheme after using a Saints-based three-back committee under ex-OC Joe Lombardi. Lombardi’s firing should create more carries for Ameer Abdullah, but there might only be subtle changes on a short turnaround in London. Abdullah is our No. 29 running back for Week 8.

Source: detroitlions.com

Oct 31 - 7:58 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Ameer Abdullah - RB - Lions

Lions.coms Tim Twentyman reports OC Jim Bob Cooter has simplified some of Detroits running and protection schemes.

The Lions are moving to a more traditional run scheme after using a Saints-based three-back committee under ex-OC Joe Lombardi. Lombardis firing should create more carries for Ameer Abdullah, but there might only be subtle changes on a short turnaround in London. Abdullah is our No. 29 running back for Week 8.

Source: detroitlions.com

Oct 31 - 7:58 PM
Not even on the field the first drive. Sitting on the bench behind J Bell and Riddick.

I was struggling with what to do for my kicker's (Haushka) bye next week. Struggle no more. I'm dropping Ameer. Pathetic.

Well, I didn't know how I'd make room for a bye week pickup next week, just no one worth dropping.

Until now.

Users who are viewing this thread