What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

Dropped him this week for Michael. Good riddance.
I'd much rather own AA. Even if DMC were to go down I doubt Michael would be relevant (Rod Smith saw snaps last week, Michael did not). There's clearly something very wrong with Michael. We now know why SEA essentially gave him away for free.

My expectations for AA are now unbelievably low, but there's still a real shot he contributes this year. DET's season is lost so it makes sense that they may want to get their 2nd rounder more involved coming out of the bye.
Agree with this 100%.

In redraft, I think this is likely a lost year for him, but I think this weeks usage will tell us more. I fear that Caldwell, however, will continue to remain conservative and thereby put the veterans out there (Bell and Roidick) limiting Ameer's touches because he is fighting for his NEXT job and wants to remain credible as a potential NFL Head Coach (which he is not).

I still see Ameer as a hold in dynasty for most owners. For me he is a firm buy in dynasty. While Detroit is a train wreck, we have seen in the NFL that teams can turn it wound quickly. Admittedly, Detroit seems to be the annual exception to that rule.

Ameer has talent. If he is just used properly he could easily give you RB2 numbers in ppr leagues as a floor when/if DET gets their "stuff" together.

Last edited by a moderator:
The VP of Sales and I made a bet in August. We do this every year, making a prop bet on FF projections.

2012: I took Roddy, he took Julio, winner is whoever had the most PPR points. Man, that was a delicious steak dinner from Benjamins.

2013: Who will be the RB1 in PPR? I took Charles, he took Shady. I chose Keens for my steak dinner that year

2014: Who will be the WR1 in PPR? Loser always gets first pick. He chose DT. I took Antonio Brown. Sparks.

This year, we were discussing how I always love young fresh legs at RB but older (3rd to 7th year) guys for WR. Obviously this worked out really badly for me in 2014 (scrap leftovers like ARob and Charles Johnson.) So this year's prop bet: I pick one rookie RB, he would take a RB over 30. Whoever ends up with the highest FF points wins.

He took Gore. I thought long and hard about Gurley, but elected to go with Ameer Abdullah. We both recognized that wasn't a great comp, so let's make it fun. You project your guy, I'll project mine. The one who with the closest projection to actual stats wins. Deal. He wrote down: Gore, 1100 rushing yards, 42 receptions, 270 yards, 8 TDs. I wrote AA 1475 yards YFS, 60 receptions, 6 TDs, 2000 All-purpose yards. Not straight apples to apples but we'd make it work.

The bet is on my white board. Every Tuesday, that mother####er comes into my office faithfully and updates the YTD and the projections, whistling and smiling. It's right across my office just above my monitors. I stare at this worthless ####s stats almost every day.

/CoolStoryBruh
At least you learned never to doubt Gurley again.

The VP of Sales and I made a bet in August. We do this every year, making a prop bet on FF projections.

2012: I took Roddy, he took Julio, winner is whoever had the most PPR points. Man, that was a delicious steak dinner from Benjamins.

2013: Who will be the RB1 in PPR? I took Charles, he took Shady. I chose Keens for my steak dinner that year

2014: Who will be the WR1 in PPR? Loser always gets first pick. He chose DT. I took Antonio Brown. Sparks.

This year, we were discussing how I always love young fresh legs at RB but older (3rd to 7th year) guys for WR. Obviously this worked out really badly for me in 2014 (scrap leftovers like ARob and Charles Johnson.) So this year's prop bet: I pick one rookie RB, he would take a RB over 30. Whoever ends up with the highest FF points wins.

He took Gore. I thought long and hard about Gurley, but elected to go with Ameer Abdullah. We both recognized that wasn't a great comp, so let's make it fun. You project your guy, I'll project mine. The one who with the closest projection to actual stats wins. Deal. He wrote down: Gore, 1100 rushing yards, 42 receptions, 270 yards, 8 TDs. I wrote AA 1475 yards YFS, 60 receptions, 6 TDs, 2000 All-purpose yards. Not straight apples to apples but we'd make it work.

The bet is on my white board. Every Tuesday, that mother####er comes into my office faithfully and updates the YTD and the projections, whistling and smiling. It's right across my office just above my monitors. I stare at this worthless ####s stats almost every day.

/CoolStoryBruh
Hope you didn't have to step over any dead bodies on the way in.

/CoolStoryBruh
Hope you didn't have to step over any dead bodies on the way in.
:lol:

No, but if you ever want to meet some old-time crew members, I know some people.

Highly recommend a visit to Sparks Steakhouse in Midtown East when you come to New York.

This is the week imo.
From your mouth to the FF gods ears.

I still have him in my Redraft and one dynasty after dumping him in another for Shady (a deal I am fine with).

I still believe he can be a nice PPR back. But his coaches have to believe. Right now they don't.

Dropped him this week for Michael. Good riddance.
I'd much rather own AA. Even if DMC were to go down I doubt Michael would be relevant (Rod Smith saw snaps last week, Michael did not). There's clearly something very wrong with Michael. We now know why SEA essentially gave him away for free.

My expectations for AA are now unbelievably low, but there's still a real shot he contributes this year. DET's season is lost so it makes sense that they may want to get their 2nd rounder more involved coming out of the bye.
As much as I would like your last paragraph to be true, we have to remember we are talking about the Lions. This organization does everything wrong. It wouldn't surprise me to see Abdullah as 3rd string the rest of the year because he doesn't give us the best chance to win this year philosophy that Caldwell will spew after the beating the Packers give them this week.

I'd drop Michael back for him but need a fill in for Navorro this week so I wont. Next question would be should I drop Rawls for AA and I dont think so.

I'd drop Michael back for him but need a fill in for Navorro this week so I wont. Next question would be should I drop Rawls for AA and I dont think so.
I would certainly hang onto Rawls at this point instead of AA. AA at best will only produce a handful of points a game because of the committee work while if Lynch goes down then Rawls becomes a 20 point player. AA won't win you any championships, Rawls, Ajayi, Langford, Javorius Allen are all better lottery tickets that will produce RB1 #'s if given the chance.

/CoolStoryBruh
actually is a cool story...

This is the week imo.
From your mouth to the FF gods ears.I still have him in my Redraft and one dynasty after dumping him in another for Shady (a deal I am fine with).

I still believe he can be a nice PPR back. But his coaches have to believe. Right now they don't.
With their season going nowhere, this seems like the perfect time to give him more opportunities to showcase his talent

Any reason to keep rostering this guy? I haven't really used him so I can't blame my awful redraft team on him. But at some point you have to check for a pulse.

Any reason to keep rostering this guy? I haven't really used him so I can't blame my awful redraft team on him. But at some point you have to check for a pulse.
No chatter in the Detroit papers other than Coach Caldwell stating this week he's not in the doghouse. Saw a lockeroom interview with him after practice, AA got a little testy when they asked him to assess his usage & performance over the first half. Had to look it up, moved him for JStew back on October 22.

I would certainly hang onto Rawls at this point instead of AA. AA at best will only produce a handful of points a game because of the committee work while if Lynch goes down then Rawls becomes a 20 point player. AA won't win you any championships, Rawls, Ajayi, Langford, Javorius Allen are all better lottery tickets that will produce RB1 #'s if given the chance.
I can get on board with this. I just specifically believe Michael to be a lost cause even in the event of a DMC injury but you if you wanted to drop AA for a defacto #1 in the event their teams starter went down I think that's fine.

I cut him from my redraft last night for White (Patriots). IMO better chance I can get something out of White in a pinch in the New England offense than AA in this hot mess of a team this year.

Still holding him in one dynasty league.......and praying he improves next season.

Only place to go is up!

Michael Rothstein@mikerothstein 2m2 minutes ago

#Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter said Ameer Abdullah's role "will be growing." Only 1 carry vs. KC.
Lions OC: Ameer Abdullah's role will be growing
"At the end the end of the day, I know I'm one of the better playmakers on this team," said Abdullah. "So I just got to do a better job of staying on the field and making sure I'm helping my team, 'cause when I'm not on the field I'm not helping out and they need playmakers on the field and I am a playmaker."
Hey, at least he still has some confidence in his ability. It could be worse, he could've just given up like Lacy.

I've got him in one league and heaven help me- I'm starting him this week over M. Bryant at flex in a non-ppr. But it's a league that counts return yards so he almost always gets at least 10-12 points but I'm in no way happy or confident about it.

At this point the Lions would do well to kick the tires on him a bit more to see what they got, right?

LOL picked him back up in my redraft......WTF nothing else was out there.

You never know....may come in handy at any moment. I still think he has the talent. I am just trying to understand why they don't feed him at this point. They are out of it. See what you have? Oh wait coaches are trying to save their own jobs....so they have that agenda. But wouldn't you want your best players on the field? Bell? Come on on already. He is nothing but a aging vet who is brittle. Give Ameer the damn ball.

It's the Lions. They're the definition of incompetent. What they should do is irrelevant.

Team is dead last in the league in rushing yards and rushing attempts. Sad thing is...it's not even close.

Carried this guy all year. Starting him after losing Lewis and having no other viable option for a RB2.Best was the 104 yard run for no points whatsoever because we don't get return yards.

From watching AA all year I would say his niche in the NFL will be as a return man and occasional third down back. Lions don`t trust him in the second half of games due to his fumbling issues.

He's back on my WW in a 16-team, standard-scoring league. I'm hurting at RB -- will likely have to start James White again unless Forte can make it back -- and I'm still not sure he's worth a roster spot, even for the upside (say it with me: What upside?)

He's back on my WW in a 16-team, standard-scoring league. I'm hurting at RB -- will likely have to start James White again unless Forte can make it back -- and I'm still not sure he's worth a roster spot, even for the upside (say it with me: What upside?)
Talent - AA

Opportunity - probably Sweet Feet, I'm thinking he gets utilized more this week. I dropped White but might regret it later.

Talent - AA

Opportunity - probably Sweet Feet, I'm thinking he gets utilized more this week. I dropped White but might regret it later.
Should have clarified that I don't have to choose between them for a roster spot. I put in the claim for AA, but I'll almost certainly start White over him if it comes to that. Given that both of their roles are uncertain, gotta go with the better offense.

ETA: White has only one week of disappointing fantasy owners (maybe two, if you count Jets game). Abdullah has half a season's worth.

Utilized 14 times this week despite only playing on 25 snaps (Bell utilized 7 times on 13 snaps, Riddick utilized 12 times on 38 snaps). He also saw some work in the RZ and would have caught a TD if Stafford didn't overthrow him.

I'm in an interesting position where I'm essentially a lock for a first round bye in the two leagues I own AA. It just so happens that he plays NO in week 15 and SF in week 16 as well, two extremely soft match-ups. As of right now, of course I wouldn't lean on him in the playoffs but if things continue to trend up in any capacity I might change my tune. For instance, it would be hard for me to sit him if I knew he was going to be utilized 20 times vs. NO given what less talented players have been able to do vs. them.

The problem is he's rarely used in short yardage or passing situations. Riddick completely caps his upside in PPR. Even if Bell just rode the bench, Abdullah's upside would still be modest at best. Now if Riddick went down, then we're talking.

Having said all that, I may be forced to start him on turkey day.

Puke.

The problem is he's rarely used in short yardage or passing situations. Riddick completely caps his upside in PPR. Even if Bell just rode the bench, Abdullah's upside would still be modest at best. Now if Riddick went down, then we're talking.

Puke.
Was glad to see he was in on a 3rd and 2 play on the opponents 4 yard line and caught a pass for 2 yards to get the first down on the play.

Puke.
The Eagles just gave up 200+ yards to Doug Martin. Abdullah is a high upside play on Thanksgiving

He's got 406 total yards of offense and 1 TD thus far.

I guess anything could happen vs the Eagles but thinking he's still a nice high upside guy seems a bit of a stretch.

He's got 406 total yards of offense and 1 TD thus far.

I guess anything could happen vs the Eagles but thinking he's still a nice high upside guy seems a bit of a stretch.
This.

He wouldn't be a high upside play vs a pop warner team. He's a desperation flex at best.

renesauz said:

Puke.
The Eagles just gave up 200+ yards to Doug Martin. Abdullah is a high upside play on Thanksgiving
On the season, AA has 63 first half touches, 32 second half touches (9 in the 4th Q.) 4 of his 95 touches have come on 3rd down, and those were all short yardage situations.

Riddick's splits: 25 first half, 51 second half (39 in 4th.) He is the trusted option, and there is no indication that will change. Leads all NFL RBs in receptions.

For 2015, Ameer is a good play in return yardage leagues, and not much else. Applying your personal belief/wish to the situation ("season lost, they should see what they got, he's more talented" et al) won't change what it is.

renesauz said:

Puke.
On the season, AA has 63 first half touches, 32 second half touches (9 in the 4th Q.) 4 of his 95 touches have come on 3rd down, and those were all short yardage situations.

Riddick's splits: 25 first half, 51 second half (39 in 4th.) He is the trusted option, and there is no indication that will change. Leads all NFL RBs in receptions.

For 2015, Ameer is a good play in return yardage leagues, and not much else. Applying your personal belief/wish to the situation ("season lost, they should see what they got, he's more talented" et al) won't change what it is.
Right, it's exactly what many of thought it would be... A RBBC. The only real question moving forward, beyond this year, is can Ameer overcome that? Is he good enough to warrant a more leading role?

renesauz said:

Puke.

Right, it's exactly what many of thought it would be... A RBBC.The only real question moving forward, beyond this year, is can Ameer overcome that? Is he good enough to warrant a more leading role?
The whole team is in flux ATM. Next GM will decide on the HC, next HC will decide on AA (let's not talk about the possibility JC keeps his job.)

Super talented back. Definite hold in dynasty, and I'd draft him again next year if there are indications they'll use him in the passing game. If you had told me in August that after 10 games he would have zero touches when it's 3rd & 7 or more, I would have asked if you had considered a 12 step program to get off crack.

renesauz said:

Puke.
Martin is 2nd in the NFL in rushing. Youre not exactly comparing an apple to an apple.

renesauz said:

Puke.

Right, it's exactly what many of thought it would be... A RBBC.The only real question moving forward, beyond this year, is can Ameer overcome that? Is he good enough to warrant a more leading role?
The whole team is in flux ATM. Next GM will decide on the HC, next HC will decide on AA (let's not talk about the possibility JC keeps his job.)

Super talented back. Definite hold in dynasty, and I'd draft him again next year if there are indications they'll use him in the passing game.
I like Riddick a lot but the refusal to give Abdullah a legitimate and consistent role in the passing game is baffling. He's so good in space and has shown he can make plays as a receiver. I could understand it maybe if the offense was playing at a high level and everything was clicking but that clearly hasn't been the case. So why render one of your high-impact weapons useless like that? Just poor coaching.

Users who are viewing this thread