What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

He isn't going to be the short yard back, and he isn't going to be the 3rd down back. Can you name anyone like that in the last 20 years who has been a rb1? He's also slow and not a homerun threat so how is this guy going to score points? To top it off he's on a horrible team that lost Calvin Johnson and really doesn't have a lot of talent around him. I don't get how anyone can like this guy right now.
There is an awful lot of presumptions in that ... I guess we'll just have to see.  If their line improves I could  easily see him being the starting back and splitting both of those duties with another back.  That would make him the main back in Detroit.

Again, as I have now stated three times though ... this all depends on Detroit improving their line.  A statement everyone seems to ignore in these posts.  

Again, his game is at the second level.  If he has (3) 15-20 yd gains a game (of his 10-12 rushes), which he can easily do with his agility against LB's and S's; then he's going to be a low end RB1 once he gets his 3-6 receptions and occasional TD.  A RB1 in today's NFL easily has a stat line of 75 rush yds, 40 rec yds, and 1 TD.  That will fluctuate (for better and worse), but is easily doable behind a good line.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really any assumptions. Riddick was the 3rd down back last year and there's no reason that changes. Abdullah is too small to be the goalline back. So he's not getting a lot of catches or tds. Of course an injury can change things but right now it's bleak. And i own him in dynasty, I wish it was better. Just realistic at this point regardless of their line.

He isn't going to be the short yard back, and he isn't going to be the 3rd down back. Can you name anyone like that in the last 20 years who has been a rb1? He's also slow and not a homerun threat so how is this guy going to score points? To top it off he's on a horrible team that lost Calvin Johnson and really doesn't have a lot of talent around him. I don't get how anyone can like this guy right now.

As long as everyone sleeps on his "potential", then he will likely stay at a bargain rate in redraft. If thats the case I am buying.

I tend to go WR-WR, and its these types of backs I like to target in the middle to late rounds. (the types that look to be low end RB2s or so with upside due to situation or workload questions)

Can he be an RB1? I don't see how that is unreasonable to be honest.

Most of the naysayers are saying "he won't get goal line touches, he won't get 3rd down work" etc. etc. The fact of the matter is, any "decent" NFL back can  be right near the RB1 or 10-14 range , IF he stays healthy and the team gives him 15-18 or more touches a a game. Of course that is a lot of IFs too.

There just isn't many of these left looking around the NFL right now, or at least not near the end of last season.

Now I do want to say I definitely agree with voice, in that he is on a bad team....but with one addendum.

As a Calvin Johnson owner last year, I know how he looked and it just wasn't the same. He had a few solid games and was a threat, but many of his traits were eroding.

Is the team better with  Golden Tate,Marvin Jones and Jeremy Kerley?? Well, that might be a stretch, but I think the difference in losing Megatron (with his recent skillset) is not nearly the difference as many here seem to think it is. The Lions may yet pick up another receiver in the draft too, let us not overlook that. I believe they have the 16th pick, but I am not certain, nor do I want to speculate on what they may be looking to acquire, as I don't know the team that well.

I for one think Abdullah the butcher  :ph34r:   is a fine sleeper pick, and I would prefer to keep the hype down to be honest.

I will most certainly get him somewhere, in some leagues. I won't necessarily draft him as my RB1, but I tend to go WR heavy and then load up on a bunch of RB2 types and then utilize my own fantasy RBBC anyway. He will fit in that just fine as far as I am concerned.

TZM

If he has (3) 15-20 yd gains a game (of his 10-12 rushes), which he can easily do with his agility against LB's and S's; then he's going to be a low end RB1 once he gets his 3-6 receptions and occasional TD. A RB1 in today's NFL easily has a stat line of 75 rush yds, 40 rec yds, and 1 TD.  That will fluctuate (for better and worse), but is easily doable behind a good line.  
No RB can "easily" get 3 15-20 yard runs per game.

You also keep saying if Detroit "gets a good line" - where are they going to do that so easily? I'm not sure if they signed anyone in free agency, and they can only do so much in the draft.

...and averaging 115 total yards and 1 TD once again is not "easily doable".

Abdullah has some talent, and I like him a bit - but if Detroit adds a power back from the available free agents (like Ridley) or in the draft or if Zenner steps up this looks to be another RBBC mess with Riddick getting the passing game love.

No RB can "easily" get 3 15-20 yard runs per game.

You also keep saying if Detroit "gets a good line" - where are they going to do that so easily? I'm not sure if they signed anyone in free agency, and they can only do so much in the draft.

...and averaging 115 total yards and 1 TD once again is not "easily doable".

Abdullah has some talent, and I like him a bit - but if Detroit adds a power back from the available free agents (like Ridley) or in the draft or if Zenner steps up this looks to be another RBBC mess with Riddick getting the passing game love.
Obviously, I disagree.  If Detroit gets a good O-Line, then I think Ameer's talent will shine

... and average about 115 total yds. and a TD on a weekly basis.

Obviously, I disagree.  If Detroit gets a good O-Line, then I think Ameer's talent will shine

... and average about 115 total yds. and a TD on a weekly basis.
Good oline dont grown on trees. They dont really have a rt on the roster. And riely rieff is a pretty poor lt. They just signed schwartz from nyg but i dont see a starting spot for him. As the guards are young in warfford and tomlinson. And swanson is the center. 

Throw in that rridick and his upside is limited. 

Papa John's said:
Again, his game is at the second level.  If he has (3) 15-20 yd gains a game (of his 10-12 rushes), which he can easily do with his agility against LB's and S's; then he's going to be a low end RB1 once he gets his 3-6 receptions and occasional TD.  A RB1 in today's NFL easily has a stat line of 75 rush yds, 40 rec yds, and 1 TD.  That will fluctuate (for better and worse), but is easily doable behind a good line.  
:lmao: at the idea that he would have 3 15+ yard runs per game, and that at least 25% of his runs would go for 15+ yards.

tangfoot said:
1840 yards and 16 TDs.  I'll take the under no matter how much they improve the Oline.
Again, if you read ... I said there would be weekly fluctuations, and I never said that would be his average.

I too, would take the under on those numbers.

"About"

used to express location in a particular place.
"there was a lot of flu about"

synonym

:

nearnearbyaroundhereabouts, not far (off/away), close by, in the vicinity, in the neighborhood

"I knew he was somewhere about"

(used with a number or quantity) approximately.
"reduced by about 5 percent"

synonyms:

approximatelyroughlyaround, round about, in the region of, circa, of/on the order of, something like; More

or so, or thereabouts, there or thereabouts, more or less, give or take a few, not far off;
informalin the ballpark of

"the explosion caused about $15,000 worth of damage"

So, in that proximity, yes. Actual average, no. 

"About"

synonyms:

nearnearbyaroundhereabouts, not far (off/away), close by, in the vicinity, in the neighborhood

sometimes it's better to admit that you were wrong, then to backpedal to the point where you look kind of mad.

All I pointed out was the adverb. No name calling. No sarcasm.  Actually agreed with the under too. 

Don't know how that is being mad?  
there are other definitions of the word - albeit in this instance I used its more antiquated definition (and it was a bit tongue in cheek).

Anyway, it's all good if you believe those numbers are easily obtainable - you're entitled to your opinion.

"About"

Wait, so are you arguing semantics over the word "about"?  You said "about 115 yards".  If you want that to be your proximity, I'll gladly give you +/- 15%.   That's still ABOUT 98 yards per game, and still completely unrealistic.

This guy took his first NFL carry to the house with a sweet open-field, ankle-breaking juke.  Lets not pretend like there's no path for him to get to the endzone.

It's not impossible for Abdullah to rip off a 2nd season like Shady Mccoy or Ray Rice.   And I think a lot of the notions about his game and role that people are citing as negatives about him are around the same thing people were saying about those guys after their rookie season. 

The fantasy hype on Ameer got a little higher than those guys for his rookie season because there was less in front of him than them (McGahee, Westbrook vs Bell/Riddick) so there'll prob be quite a few butthurt owners from last year that have nothing but negative things to post about him on here.  But that big-game potential is still there and he'll likely improve.

Mid RB2-low end RB1 is a very realistic chance. 

"About"

synonym

:

(used with a number or quantity) approximately.
"reduced by about 5 percent"

synonyms:

approximatelyroughlyaround, round about, in the region of, circa, of/on the order of, something like; More

or so, or thereabouts, there or thereabouts, more or less, give or take a few, not far off;
informalin the ballpark of

"the explosion caused about $15,000 worth of damage"

Dude there's no way he's averaging anywhere near or about the #s you projected.

Lions signed RB Stevan Ridley, formerly of the Jets, to a one-year contract.

The Lions were the only team he visited in free agency. Ridley missed eight games last season while recovering from a torn ACL. Even when Ridley played he was ineffective, averaging a career-worst 2.5 yards per carry. The 27-year-old has never been a big contributor in the passing game (just 27 catches in 60 NFL appearances) but he still has some power and could challenge Ameer Abdullah and Zach Zenner for early-down work. Ridley's relationship with GM and former Patriots scouting director Bob Quinn likely played a role in his decision

I'm not sure he is more than a camp body. If aa can't beat out zenner and Ridley for early down carries then it's yet again another wasted 2nd rd pick for the lions. The oline is one of the youngest in the nfl so they have some room to grow, not that you can count on it.

I'm not sure he is more than a camp body. If aa can't beat out zenner and Ridley for early down carries then it's yet again another wasted 2nd rd pick for the lions. The oline is one of the youngest in the nfl so they have some room to grow, not that you can count on it.
Ridley struggled coming back from his ACL tear but he's a talened back. He should take the Bell role. 

Ridley struggled coming back from his ACL tear but he's a talened back. He should take the Bell role. 
As long as by "Bell role" you mean "shell of a formerly good back who is plunged into the line for minimal gain an inexplicably high number of times" I'm inclined to agree with you.

As long as by "Bell role" you mean "shell of a formerly good back who is plunged into the line for minimal gain an inexplicably high number of times" I'm inclined to agree with you.
Ridley  isnt that old. He didnt look good last season, but maybe in his second season removed from the ACL tear he'll bounce back. I think Detroit likes their RBBC and Ridley fills the power back role. Guy has always scored TDs.

He didn't call Ridley old.
Yeah i know. Im just saying just because he looked bad last season doesnt mean hes a "shell of himself" because hes not old and he was recovering from an injury. It may turn out that he does never regain his form. Im just saying if he does i think he'll have the power back role. At one point he was a solid NFL back.

Ridley  isnt that old. He didnt look good last season, but maybe in his second season removed from the ACL tear he'll bounce back. I think Detroit likes their RBBC and Ridley fills the power back role. Guy has always scored TDs.
He scored TDs in New England because New England scores a ton of TDs.  Pretty sure they are top 3 in the league in rushing TDs over the last 10 years or something like that.  What a player is, or isn't, outside of that environment is very difficult to gauge.

I love how 3 of their top 5 draft picks were on OL with 2 of them in the interior -- and the one adjective I've seen describing them (at least the first 2) is 'tough'.

Tim Twentyman of the Lions' website expects Ameer Abdullah to get "every opportunity" to carry "most of the load" in the Detroit backfield.

Abdullah is still recovering from January shoulder surgery, but he's expected to be ready for the start of training camp. Even without seeing him this spring, Lions beat writers have been talking the sophomore up as a potential breakout candidate. Abdullah averaged a respectable 4.2 YPC as a rookie, but after the Week 9 bye and promotion of OC Jim Bob Cooter, Abdullah averaged 4.7 YPC to finish the year strong. Abdullah is currently being drafted as RB29 in MFL best-ball leagues. He's a strong mid-round flier with upside.

Source: detroitlions.com

Anyone else trying to sell this guy?  I can't wrap my finger around it but there's something about him that scares me away.  Looking to see what I can get but I'd like to hang onto Riddick as he has a solid RB3 floor in PPR.  

I think usage scares me a little, but I think he's very talented and has strong character. He had a couple bad fumbles last year, and a couple that were simply good plays by the defense. Not much you can do vs a well placed helmet or being stood up and have a 2nd defender come in and wrestle the ball away. If he continues to fumble he may get a quick hook. I didn't like the way Lombardi used the backs, no one could get in a groove. "You go run one, now you go run one, now riddick get in there for a screen, now you again" is no way to establish a run game. I'm hoping JBC is a little more patient and uses Abdullah and riddick primarily. I don't even mind if zenner or Ridley get some short ydg work, Abdullah could still get some tds from further out, if he's getting the majority of the carries. I'd also like to see aa and riddick in together, seems like it would be hard to defend 2 excellent pass catching backs. Of course coaches rarely act rationally in these instances. I guess the bottom line is there is risk- I can see a scenario where he is Jamal Charles lite and one where he's early fumbling tiki barber and getting benched. 

What worries me the most about Abdullah and all other Detroit RB's this year is the offensive line. The Detroit o-line has a lot of talent but is very young will likely go through some growing pains this year with the inexperience and needing time to gel together. They're likely to be in the bottom third of the offensive lines this year. There's a chance this could be a very good o-line in a year or two but I just don't see it in 2016. Below is the projected starters with " * " indicating the player was chosen as a 1st round draft pick.

LT: Decker* - rookie

LG: Tomlinson* - 1 yr, minimal playing time last year

C: Swanson - 2 yrs, graded as one of the worst starting centers last year

RG: Warford - 3 yrs, excellent when/if healthy

RT: Reiff* - 4 yrs, league average OT, is what he is at this point

Reserves: Schwartz - 7 yrs, all others are rookies - 2 yrs experience guys.

They're starting essentially 2 rookies and if Glasgow supplants Swanson then they're starting 3 rookies. Outside of Warford, the likely best case scenario for each starter is to improve enough to play at a league average level this season. The more likely scenario is likely to be somewhere between below average - average. The outlook for 2017 is more promising (if Warford and Reiff are re-signed) but I'd temper expectations for this o-line and the Detroit RB's this season

could he have a D.Freeman type year though ?

forgotten, talented higher draft pick, catches ball, runs shifty ..... could be a monster ?

What worries me the most about Abdullah and all other Detroit RB's this year is the offensive line. The Detroit o-line has a lot of talent but is very young will likely go through some growing pains this year with the inexperience and needing time to gel together. They're likely to be in the bottom third of the offensive lines this year. There's a chance this could be a very good o-line in a year or two but I just don't see it in 2016. Below is the projected starters with " * " indicating the player was chosen as a 1st round draft pick.

LT: Decker* - rookie

LG: Tomlinson* - 1 yr, minimal playing time last year

C: Swanson - 2 yrs, graded as one of the worst starting centers last year

RG: Warford - 3 yrs, excellent when/if healthy

RT: Reiff* - 4 yrs, league average OT, is what he is at this point

Reserves: Schwartz - 7 yrs, all others are rookies - 2 yrs experience guys.

They're starting essentially 2 rookies and if Glasgow supplants Swanson then they're starting 3 rookies. Outside of Warford, the likely best case scenario for each starter is to improve enough to play at a league average level this season. The more likely scenario is likely to be somewhere between below average - average. The outlook for 2017 is more promising (if Warford and Reiff are re-signed) but I'd temper expectations for this o-line and the Detroit RB's this season
Tomlinson started 14 games last year, how is that considered minimal playing time?  Moving Reiff to RT is a huge improvement and Swanson can't get any worst or Glascow would be better.  They should be improved from last year and will benefit from not having Lombardi around.  Probably not a top tier O-Line, but better than last year.

It is never good to be starting a rookie at LT.

Its good that they figured out Reiff cannot play over there. I never thought this was a good idea to begin with.

This may end up being a long term solution depending on Decker but I would expect rookie mistakes for sure, so hard to say he will be better than Reiff was last season.

The Lions will getting the ball out quick, which certainly helps the offensive line in pass protection. Question is if they can get it together with their run blocking.

I always thought if AA could get the ball in the flat or on some check downs that is where he would be effective in the pros. When I saw him play last year on a limited basis, it seemed they wanted to run him constantly between the tackles. Then take him out for Riddick to catch the passes.

He was a fumbler in college and teams will try to strip it more this year imo. Add the OLine issues and it does not look peachy to me. I see him as a guy who will get 20 points one week and then 7 or 8 points for the next two or three games. A dart board throw on which week he will do something.

Will the Lions be consistent/good enough to warrant Abdullah as a top 20 rb?  I'm not sure that will be the case, especially if they do end up using Zenner as the short option.

For no other reason that gut feeling, this, to me, has the vibe of one of those "off" years that Jamaal Lewis used to have where it made sense that he was the guy but he played for teams that simply weren't getting it done so you would end up with these games where some weeks he would go 136/2 and you'd think "wow, this is great" and other weeks the groove just never got etched and his stat line would be 13/46 and 2 catches for 8 yards or something. 

Overall, I think the buzz is too much for the actual value here. He will have to be drafted as something more than an intriguing player and is likely to be a "better than average" RB2.

Here are the offensive snaps for the 3 main Detroit RB in 2015

Abdullah 355 offensive snaps 32.9%

Wk 1 L @ SD 21 snaps 45% 7 rushing attempts 50 yards 1 TD 4 targets 4 receptions 44 yards
Wk 2 L @ MIN 31 snaps 40% 6 rushing attempts 9 yards 1 target 1 reception 9 yards
Wk 3 L DEN 34 snaps 46% 8 rushing attempts 23 yards 5 targets 2 receptions 19 yards 1TD
Wk 4 L @ SEA 30 snaps 54% 13 rushing attempts 33 yards 5 targets 2 receptions 11 yards
Wk 5 L ARI 15 snaps 16% 6 rushing attempts 16 yards 2 targets 1 reception 9 yards
Wk 6 W CHI 35 snaps 43% 14 rushing attempts 48 yards 4 targets 3 receptions 21 yards
Wk 7 L MIN 12 snaps 22% 8 rushing attempts 43 yards 
Wk 8  L KC 5  snaps 8% 1 rushing attempt 3 yards 2 targets 0 receptions
Wk 9 BYE
Wk 10 W @ GB 12 snaps 18% 5 rushing attempts 15 yards 1 target 1 reception 7 yards
Wk 11 W OAK 25 snaps 35% 12 rushing attempts 44 yards 2 targets 1 reception 2 yards
Wk 12 W PHI 28 snaps 39% 16 rushing attempts 63 yards 2 targets 1 reception 12 yards
Wk 13 L GB 20 snaps 31% 13 rushing attempts 67 yards 1 target 0 receptions
Wk 14 L STL 19 snaps 27% 7 rushing attempts 23 yards 2 targets 2 receptions 21 yards
Wk 15 W @NO 22 snaps 42% 9 rushing attempts 77 yards 1 TD 2 targets 2 receptions 12 yards
Wk 16 W SF 20 snaps 28% 8 rushing attempts 39 yards 4 targets 4 receptions 9 yards
Wk 17 W @ CHI 26 snaps 40% 10 rushing attempts 44 yards 1 target 1 reception 7 yards

What I see here is that the Lions used Ameer more at the beginning of the season than they did later on in the season. 

The Lions schedule at the beginning of last year was pretty difficult.with MIN, DEN, SEA, ARI and no surprise he struggled against these defenses. He had 2 games in a row where he was targeted 5 times against SEA and ARI but he only caught 2 of those 5 targets. That is not getting it done. He does rebound a bit against Chicago in week 6 but he seems to get phased out in the next 2 weeks before the bye. 

Riddick 470 offensive snaps 43.6%

Wk 1 8 17%
Wk 2 35 45%
Wk 3 15 20%
Wk 4 21 38%
Wk 5 52 55%
Wk 6 42 52%
Wk 7 30 56%
Wk 8 39 65%
Wk 9 BYE
Wk 10 17 26%
Wk 11 36 50%
Wk 12 26 36%
Wk 13 34 52%
Wk 14 37 52%
Wk 15 13 25%
Wk 16 34 48%
Wk 17 31 48%

Riddick is playing more than Ameer pretty much every week after week 5. The Lions pass the ball a lot and RIddick is much more efficient as a receiver. So while I would expect Ameer to improve this season, I don't think he is taking snaps away from Riddick.

Bell 243 offensive snaps 22.5%

Wk 1 18 38%
Wk 2 18 23%
Wk 3 25 34%
Wk 4 0
Wk 5 0
Wk 6 0
Wk 7 12 22%
Wk 8 17 28%
Wk 9 BYE
Wk 10 39 60%
Wk 11 13 18%
Wk 12 17 24%
Wk 13 14 22%
Wk 14 17 24%
Wk 15 21 40%
Wk 16 20 28%
Wk 17 12 18%

Ameer could pick up more snaps if a 3rd RB isn't used as much and that will help his numbers if it more of a 50.50 split between him and RIddick.

If the Lions are committed to a 3 RBBC like this it limits Ameers opportunity further, especially if another RB such as Zenner gets goal line opportunities.

I still think Ameer is a buy, but there are things that can keep him from putting up numbers I think he is capable of.

eta - after the bye week Ameer is used more when the Lions are winning and when they face a soft defense.

The Detroit Free Press' Dave Birkett writes "there's no reason" Ameer Abdullah "can't break 1,000 yards rushing" this season.
Beat writers are rarely good numbers forecasters, but we pass these things along nonetheless. Abdullah managed 597 rushing yards as a rookie. Birkett also foresees an "uptick" in Abdullah's receiving usage after a 25-catch first season. Birkett predicts Abdullah will play a "bigger role in the offense," citing Calvin Johnson's retirement and the Lions' "desire to run more." Birkett goes as far as to already crown Abdullah the eighth best player on the Lions' 90-man roster.

Source: Detroit Free Press 
Jul 17 - 8:53 PM

Lions RBs coach David Walker said the team does not "need" a 1,000-yard rusher.
"Whether we end up having a guy that rushes for 1,000, that’s really not our goal," Walker said. "Our goal is to be efficient when we run the ball." Ameer Abdullah improved down the stretch as a rookie, averaging 4.7 yards per carry over the second half of the season, but his path to even RB3 value is perilous. The Lions clearly plan to use a committee in the backfield, with Abdullah losing passing-down work to Theo Riddick and short-yardage work to either Zach Zenner or Stevan Ridley. With all of that competition, Abdullah's RB27 draft cost is tough to swallow.

Source: Detroit Free Press 
Aug 1 - 9:56 AM

Abdullah is one of the tougher players to project for...at his current ADP I'm likely to stay away in most drafts.

Here are the offensive snaps for the 3 main Detroit RB in 2015

Abdullah 355 offensive snaps 32.9%

Wk 1 L @ SD 21 snaps 45% 7 rushing attempts 50 yards 1 TD 4 targets 4 receptions 44 yards
Wk 2 L @ MIN 31 snaps 40% 6 rushing attempts 9 yards 1 target 1 reception 9 yards
Wk 3 L DEN 34 snaps 46% 8 rushing attempts 23 yards 5 targets 2 receptions 19 yards 1TD
Wk 4 L @ SEA 30 snaps 54% 13 rushing attempts 33 yards 5 targets 2 receptions 11 yards
Wk 5 L ARI 15 snaps 16% 6 rushing attempts 16 yards 2 targets 1 reception 9 yards
Wk 6 W CHI 35 snaps 43% 14 rushing attempts 48 yards 4 targets 3 receptions 21 yards
Wk 7 L MIN 12 snaps 22% 8 rushing attempts 43 yards 
Wk 8  L KC 5  snaps 8% 1 rushing attempt 3 yards 2 targets 0 receptions
Wk 9 BYE
Wk 10 W @ GB 12 snaps 18% 5 rushing attempts 15 yards 1 target 1 reception 7 yards
Wk 11 W OAK 25 snaps 35% 12 rushing attempts 44 yards 2 targets 1 reception 2 yards
Wk 12 W PHI 28 snaps 39% 16 rushing attempts 63 yards 2 targets 1 reception 12 yards
Wk 13 L GB 20 snaps 31% 13 rushing attempts 67 yards 1 target 0 receptions
Wk 14 L STL 19 snaps 27% 7 rushing attempts 23 yards 2 targets 2 receptions 21 yards
Wk 15 W @NO 22 snaps 42% 9 rushing attempts 77 yards 1 TD 2 targets 2 receptions 12 yards
Wk 16 W SF 20 snaps 28% 8 rushing attempts 39 yards 4 targets 4 receptions 9 yards
Wk 17 W @ CHI 26 snaps 40% 10 rushing attempts 44 yards 1 target 1 reception 7 yards

What I see here is that the Lions used Ameer more at the beginning of the season than they did later on in the season. 

The Lions schedule at the beginning of last year was pretty difficult.with MIN, DEN, SEA, ARI and no surprise he struggled against these defenses. He had 2 games in a row where he was targeted 5 times against SEA and ARI but he only caught 2 of those 5 targets. That is not getting it done. He does rebound a bit against Chicago in week 6 but he seems to get phased out in the next 2 weeks before the bye. 

Riddick 470 offensive snaps 43.6%

Wk 1 8 17%
Wk 2 35 45%
Wk 3 15 20%
Wk 4 21 38%
Wk 5 52 55%
Wk 6 42 52%
Wk 7 30 56%
Wk 8 39 65%
Wk 9 BYE
Wk 10 17 26%
Wk 11 36 50%
Wk 12 26 36%
Wk 13 34 52%
Wk 14 37 52%
Wk 15 13 25%
Wk 16 34 48%
Wk 17 31 48%

Riddick is playing more than Ameer pretty much every week after week 5. The Lions pass the ball a lot and RIddick is much more efficient as a receiver. So while I would expect Ameer to improve this season, I don't think he is taking snaps away from Riddick.

Bell 243 offensive snaps 22.5%

Wk 1 18 38%
Wk 2 18 23%
Wk 3 25 34%
Wk 4 0
Wk 5 0
Wk 6 0
Wk 7 12 22%
Wk 8 17 28%
Wk 9 BYE
Wk 10 39 60%
Wk 11 13 18%
Wk 12 17 24%
Wk 13 14 22%
Wk 14 17 24%
Wk 15 21 40%
Wk 16 20 28%
Wk 17 12 18%

Ameer could pick up more snaps if a 3rd RB isn't used as much and that will help his numbers if it more of a 50.50 split between him and RIddick.

If the Lions are committed to a 3 RBBC like this it limits Ameers opportunity further, especially if another RB such as Zenner gets goal line opportunities.

I still think Ameer is a buy, but there are things that can keep him from putting up numbers I think he is capable of.

eta - after the bye week Ameer is used more when the Lions are winning and when they face a soft defense.
Nice post. What you are not mentioning is that Ameer was fumbling away his use % and wasn't being fully trusted in his rookie year. Throw in the fact that a proven sure handed back in Joique Bell was around and now he's not which bodes well for Abdullah. He showed flashes last season and may be a lottery ticket at his ADP. It's a risk though but they all are there or have low ceilings.

Users who are viewing this thread