What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Washington comes in for a carry and immediately trots off holding his groin.

AA comes in and rips off a nice looking 24 yarder, followed by a nice screen catch that was again pulled back by penalty.

The ####ty part for AA owners is that even if Washington is hurt they'll just active ZZ next week. He'll get more carries tonight at least.

Speaking of which, I think he'll be a solid start next week vs. ATL. It's not particularly easy to run on ATL but they keep everything in front of them and force teams to dink and dunk if they want to move the ball. I think he'll have 3-4 targets.

Washington comes in for a carry and immediately trots off holding his groin.

AA comes in and rips off a nice looking 24 yarder, followed by a nice screen catch that was again pulled back by penalty.
Ticky tack holding call scratched that nice gain on the screen.   If this guy had less of a RBBC to deal with, he would be a fine FF RB.   Limited touches and no work near the goal line limits his point potential.   

The ####ty part for AA owners is that even if Washington is hurt they'll just active ZZ next week. He'll get more carries tonight at least.

Speaking of which, I think he'll be a solid start next week vs. ATL. It's not particularly easy to run on ATL but they keep everything in front of them and force teams to dink and dunk if they want to move the ball. I think he'll have 3-4 targets.
Perhaps he can do something in this second half to provide ZZ doesn't need any carries. Now is the time to reach up and grab the opportunity.

^^^ Not a nice run. That was his absolute best case scenario and he was too slow to house it. I think that run comvinced me to finally give up on AA. Farewell, sweet prince.

^^^ Not a nice run. That was his absolute best case scenario and he was too slow to house it. I think that run comvinced me to finally give up on AA. Farewell, sweet prince.
His inability to take it to the house via mediocre long speed was his most obvious knock to me coming into the NFL. It's not the deal breaker for me though, the deal breaker is Riddick. Without those receptions to pad his floor you just can't trust him.

On a positive note, I'm pretty sure 17 carries is the most he's ever had in a game.

Edit: And 86 yards is also a career high. God that's sad but the sample size isn't terribly large.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, no offense but why were you on the bandwagon in the first place then? He ran a 4.6, he's not a home run hitter.

I mean, no offense but why were you on the bandwagon in the first place then? He ran a 4.6, he's not a home run hitter.
It was the straw that broke the camel. I forgot that on top of everything else going against him, he also doesn't have breakaway speed. Actually, I was probably more in denial about that aspect than anything. I was wrong. He showed it on that run. Peace, Ameer. Good luck to ya brother.

Good game. The biggest problem from a FF standpoint is that they don't throw him the ball. He could be one of the better receiving backs in the NFL, but they don't use him.

Hope the injury wasn't serious. Looked like he twisted his knee.

Thought it was more his ankle..kind of rolled it.

From my perspective, AA just went 35/127 (touch/YFS) against 2016's #2 & #3 rush defenses (in terms of YPC).  He also got hosed on a nice screen where ticky-tack hold nullified a 20+ yard gain.

So long as he stays healthy, there is opportunity here and he's bound to hit an opponent not as stout.  He's not a sell, he's a buy low.

correct, AZ and NYG are tough run defenses

that he's the clear #1 is valuable, he'll get the TD's and receptions

he had a better week than Zeke did :)

Half of your top 20 backs would not have been able to take that to the house.  His usage is the biggest issue.  They pull him in obvious passing situations and short yardage.  I personally think he'd be more productive than Riddick in the receiving role, so it sucks that he is taken out of the game.

looking forward to next week's opponent, ATL is a concern. Not because of the rush D so much as the potential game script. If they are behind as expected, it leans more to a Riddick type of game.

Good game. The biggest problem from a FF standpoint is that they don't throw him the ball. He could be one of the better receiving backs in the NFL, but they don't use him.

Hope the injury wasn't serious. Looked like he twisted his knee.
Well, they did at least throw him the one screen that went for 19 yards but was called back on a BS holding call on Lang. Also worth keeping in mind that Stafford only threw 21 passes.

Do we worry yet? 

With grabbing Cohen, Abdullah is downgraded to my Rb4, so I don't have to play him at all the entire season I guess (especially with Ajayi's 1st week bye). But if I have an injury he could see some time... 

Just getting concerned right now. It's more of the same from Abdullah; how Detroit has been using him the first 2 weeks gives me no hope going forward- unless some homers see something different. I won't act like I watched either of their 2 games. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000847903/Ameer-Abdullah-powers-downfield-for-34-yard-gain

Well, it was a nice run, but he'd have finished it off better if he'd seen the guy to his left. He was focused on the guy on his right and decided to cut left... which unfortunately was right into a tackler. If he'd stayed full speed and took on the tackler on to his right (either stiff arm him or hope Marvin catches up and blocks), he'd have gotten at least another 10-15 yards.

But I really don't know who you think would've taken that to the house. Bell, DJ, Gordon, Freeman, Howard... none of those guys are burners. 

Do we worry yet? 

With grabbing Cohen, Abdullah is downgraded to my Rb4, so I don't have to play him at all the entire season I guess (especially with Ajayi's 1st week bye). But if I have an injury he could see some time... 

Just getting concerned right now. It's more of the same from Abdullah; how Detroit has been using him the first 2 weeks gives me no hope going forward- unless some homers see something different. I won't act like I watched either of their 2 games. 
Worry about a guy who got 18 carries at over 5 ypc?

shadyridr said:
Worry about a guy who got 18 carries at over 5 ypc?
Well when you put it that way...

It just seems like its what some in here kind of predicted... between the 20s but losing out on goal line and receptions. He had a heck of a day, but without a TD or receptions I could get that same production from some WW guys. I can pick up almost any WR on the WW and get 4/45

Dr. Dan said:
Do we worry yet? 

Do what? He has more rushing yards so far than Elliott, Gordon, Crowell, and Montgomery. He's coming off a career high in rushing yards and averaged 5.05ypc and you're worried about him?

Do what? He has more rushing yards so far than Elliott, Gordon, Crowell, and Montgomery. He's coming off a career high in rushing yards and averaged 5.05ypc and you're worried about him?
Worried about his usage. I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. He got a heavy work load but didn't seem to get opportunities to score on receptions or TDs. 

Maybe I am completely missing something here, likely am, but I don't really like to see <10 points from anyone that I start (I didn't start Abdullah but I'd like to see a game over 10 points before I get excited)

I'd be very happy if I am completely missing the boat here and everyone in here is excited about his ROS. Vroom vroom start the wagon sort of thing

Worried about his usage. I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. He got a heavy work load but didn't seem to get opportunities to score on receptions or TDs. 

Maybe I am completely missing something here, likely am, but I don't really like to see <10 points from anyone that I start (I didn't start Abdullah but I'd like to see a game over 10 points before I get excited)

I'd be very happy if I am completely missing the boat here and everyone in here is excited about his ROS. Vroom vroom start the wagon sort of thing
He had a nice catch and run called back late in the game for a hold. He had 17 carries. I wouldn't be too worried about usage. He's probably not a guy that is going to eclipse 20 carries very often, if it all.

I don't think anyone is in here claiming he's an RB1. He's definitely a nice flex guy and could be a bye week fill-in. That's what I drafted him for. I'm not too worried about him producing. He's coming of a good game for him usage and yardage wise. You can't predict TDs.

Well when you put it that way...

It just seems like its what some in here kind of predicted... between the 20s but losing out on goal line and receptions. He had a heck of a day, but without a TD or receptions I could get that same production from some WW guys. I can pick up almost any WR on the WW and get 4/45
I can see it both ways... he played 29 snaps with 17 rushes and 0 receptions. That's like Ingram earlier in his career. It's hard on a RB when the OC is tipping his hand every time he's in the game. I think 10 of his 17 carries came on first down. He's not being put in a position to excel, buuut he's played some tough defenses and he looked pretty good this week when he got a little blocking. He mostly got unlucky in that his one screen got called back on a phantom penalty and he was frequently swarmed by defenders at or behind the line of scrimmage, yet he still broke two carries for over 20 yards. 

I'm still cautiously optimistic. He looks quick and elusive - saw him make a few people miss yesterday. The blocking hasn't been good, but Decker is eventually going to return. Possibly as early as game #7 (week 8). The offense as a whole looks good, so the opportunities will be there as the year progresses (and as they play weaker defenses). 

He had a nice catch and run called back late in the game for a hold. He had 17 carries. I wouldn't be too worried about usage. He's probably not a guy that is going to eclipse 20 carries very often, if it all.

I don't think anyone is in here claiming he's an RB1. He's definitely a nice flex guy and could be a bye week fill-in. That's what I drafted him for. I'm not too worried about him producing. He's coming of a good game for him usage and yardage wise. You can't predict TDs.
Fair points. Sometimes I just need to be talked down a ledge

I drafted him as my bye week fill in and maybe flex. So if he can get 10 points a game I'd be happy. If that catch wasn't called back he'd be >10 in PPR. 

If he scores a TD he's in the RB2 discussion for the week (not ROS just yet). So I can see how a few broken tackles/good plays and I'd be feeling completely different. 

Fair points. Sometimes I just need to be talked down a ledge

I drafted him as my bye week fill in and maybe flex. So if he can get 10 points a game I'd be happy. If that catch wasn't called back he'd be >10 in PPR. 

If he scores a TD he's in the RB2 discussion for the week (not ROS just yet). So I can see how a few broken tackles/good plays and I'd be feeling completely different. 
I just wouldn't be getting worked up over this game. He looked pretty good and nothing I saw would make me think I need to get rid of him.

The Lions can only run effectively to the right side at the moment. When LT Taylor Decker comes back in mid-October they'll have a much better offensive line.

AA is what he is.  He is not a bell cow.   He is not a burner.  He is not involved in the passing game much.  He is a pretty good running RB though.  He seems to have pretty good vision at the LOS and the Detroit Oline has not done him many favors so far. 

AA is a good RB3 or flex.  As long as he is healthy, he is remaining on my roster. 

AA is what he is.  He is not a bell cow.   He is not a burner.  He is not involved in the passing game much.  He is a pretty good running RB though.  He seems to have pretty good vision at the LOS and the Detroit Oline has not done him many favors so far. 

AA is a good RB3 or flex.  As long as he is healthy, he is remaining on my roster. 
From a dynasty perspective, though, he is not what he is/has been in Detroit. He should be getting utilized in the passing game. Given his skill set, his lack of usage there borders on criminal. But it's just been 2 games. Maybe they'll find a way.

Not to be contrary, but he has 1 less attempt than Elliot, 2 less than McCoy... two "bell cows" 

Not sure how many RBs are on pace for 272 touches so far but I know that my "#1 RB" Jordan Howard isn't one of them.
This is a good point. He is currently rated 12th on attempts only (not touches). Above Hunt, Lynch, Montgomery, Crowell, Gordon.

I always felt like Crowell was a solid RB2/3 due to his pure volume. I didn't realize how much volume Abdullah is getting comparatively 

Yes, he may not be heavily involved in the passing game, and goal line carries may be an issue (although he seems to be getting some at least), but the volume is there I guess. Just haven't seen the points quite yet playing against 2 pretty good defenses. 

Not to be contrary, but he has 1 less attempt than Elliot, 2 less than McCoy... two "bell cows" 

This is a good point. He is currently rated 12th on attempts only (not touches). Above Hunt, Lynch, Montgomery, Crowell, Gordon.

I always felt like Crowell was a solid RB2/3 due to his pure volume. I didn't realize how much volume Abdullah is getting comparatively 

Yes, he may not be heavily involved in the passing game, and goal line carries may be an issue (although he seems to be getting some at least), but the volume is there I guess. Just haven't seen the points quite yet playing against 2 pretty good defenses. 
FTR I absolutely agree with your concerns inre: passing game & goal line touches but in this game the first thing you need is for your players to get opportunities in general and Abdullah is getting a lot of them right now. His reception upside is probably only 20-25 and his TDs will probably be capped around 6 but 272 opportunities is still really, really nice for your #3 RB (in my 12 team ppr, redraft he was drafted 6.11 as the 25th RB off the board).

Asssuming he stays healthy, I project him at 200-220 rushing attempts. He'll start getting more targets. They're so bland and obvious in their run play calling, but I think Cooter will recognize that and switch it up a bit.

Asssuming he stays healthy, I project him at 200-220 rushing attempts. He'll start getting more targets. They're so bland and obvious in their run play calling, but I think Cooter will recognize that and switch it up a bit.
I dunno - IMO it has more to do with health of Washington & Ridddick. 

They clearly prefer AA between the 20s. 

They clearly prefer Washington in the RZ.

They clearly prefer Riddick as the receiving back.

Kinda feel like last night is the ceiling for AA.  He could have scored a long TD, but apparently lacks the top end speed and was outrun by the defense.  

Now that said, Washington limped off, and someone in the game topic said AA tweaked his ankle. If Washington misses time, will it be AA at the stripe or a fullback? 

I'd say maybe it's time to sell high. If people are getting excited about AA based on his touches two games in a row, see what y'all can get for him from a RB-starved team.

He is a JAG...nothing special...hes a bit shifty other than that....meh
I much rather see Riddick get more snaps carrying the ball. Seems Riddick has way more power. 

Let Abdullah get more reps as the COP, I think he can be more productive. 

I much rather see Riddick get more snaps carrying the ball. Seems Riddick has way more power. 

Let Abdullah get more reps as the COP, I think he can be more productive. 
There's a reason Riddick's career ypc is 3.4, he's not a good at running in between the tackles despite what you saw last night. He'll never get a serious workload.

AA really isn't a JAG, he's just not elite. There's a grey area. 

Also Riddick only got 3 targets yesterday while AA got 1 (20 yard screen that got called back), so it's unfair to say AA gets "zero" passing work, as no one really got any touches there last night.

Users who are viewing this thread