What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

FF Ninja said:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000847903/Ameer-Abdullah-powers-downfield-for-34-yard-gain

Well, it was a nice run, but he'd have finished it off better if he'd seen the guy to his left. He was focused on the guy on his right and decided to cut left... which unfortunately was right into a tackler. If he'd stayed full speed and took on the tackler on to his right (either stiff arm him or hope Marvin catches up and blocks), he'd have gotten at least another 10-15 yards.

But I really don't know who you think would've taken that to the house. Bell, DJ, Gordon, Freeman, Howard... none of those guys are burners. 
Why compare him to players who get receptions and goal line? The reason left for me to keep him, since he doesn't get those was an idea that he had enough explosiveness to get some chunk and house gains from inside the 20s. He can get chunk. He won't get house. Add to the above that he seems proclive to get hurt. He has no fantasy legs left to stand on for me. At least not until his situation changes, and barring injury to other Lions, I'm not seeing that anytime soon. Watch uncle Theo go down now that I've jixed it. Hope not. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What is AA good at? He has plus short area burst, plus agility, plus pass blocker/catcher/route runner. Good but not great vision.

What is AA bad at? He doesn't break tackles, he has no breakaway speed/2nd gear.

Also Riddick only got 3 targets yesterday while AA got 1 (20 yard screen that got called back), so it's unfair to say AA gets "zero" passing work, as no one really got any touches there last night.
DET didn't need to throw. They will need to throw vs. ATL and ATL keeps everything underneath, he'll get 3-4 targets next week. Every team realizes that you're supposed to attack ATL in that fashion.

Why are we comparing him to players who get receptions and goal line? The reason left for me to keep him, since he doesn't get those was an idea that he had enough explosiveness to get some chunk and house gains from inside the 20s. He can get chunk. He won't get house. 
Yes, he can't house it but he can score from 20-30 yards out. I mean, AA's long of 34 yards is 8th best of all RBs so far this year. He has two 20+ gains on the ground which ties him with Hunt, Anderson, and Hyde. I think we're overselling the importance of long speed and underselling the importance of burst. If he is on the opponent's side of the field and sees daylight, he can score.

What is AA good at? He has plus short area burst, plus agility, plus pass blocker/catcher/route runner. Good but not great vision.

What is AA bad at? He doesn't break tackles, he has no breakaway speed/2nd gear.
Last night it also looked like he tried to break every run outside. Maybe that was the gameplan but I think not being a great runner between the tackles may be another in the (-) column for Abdullah.  Perhaps that changes when Decker returns.

Yes, he can't house it but he can score from 20-30 yards out. I mean, AA's long of 34 yards is 8th best of all RBs so far this year. He has two 20+ gains on the ground which ties him with Hunt, Anderson, and Hyde. I think we're overselling the importance of long speed and underselling the importance of burst. If he is on the opponent's side of the field and sees daylight, he can score.
Highly respect your opinion SSND and I think this assessment is spot on. Still not enough for me to keep him, but a very fair perspective here.

Last night it also looked like he tried to break every run outside. Maybe that was the gameplan but I think not being a great runner between the tackles may be another in the (-) column for Abdullah.  Perhaps that changes when Decker returns.
Absolutely. The hallmark of a good RB is one who realizes he has no angle to exploit if he continues to the edge and instead puts his foot in the ground and moves up field for 2-3 yards. He too often continues to the edge and it bugs me, especially when opposing lineman are constantly shedding their blockers and jumping on him for a loss. I mean a lot of the runs are designed to go outside but that doesn't mean they have to go outside.

Highly respect your opinion SSND and I think this assessment is spot on. Still not enough for me to keep him, but a very fair perspective here.
I think your perspective is spot on as well, as in no matter the talent the way he's utilized isn't always going to translate over to fantasy. I still think in the context of the current RB landscape, the volume he is seeing is valuable. He's currently tied with Hyde and Stewart as the 10th most utilized RB on the season. It's just that he really needs some percentage of his utilization to come in the form of targets or he will forever remain a low-floor RB3. I just don't buy into the narrative that he's bad in a vacuum. 

Yea, SSND's post is accurate. AA would be one of the most reliable FF backs in the league in PPR if the Lions didn't have this fascination with Theo Riddick. AA is a good receiver and very good at making people miss in 1v1 situations. He should be getting 4-5 catches per week, and probably would be on a lot of teams in the league.

He is not fast though and never has been. He has good acceleration and hits his top gear quickly, but his top speed is low. The way I described it when he was coming out of Nebraska was that he runs like he's in a wind tunnel. When he gets into his stride, he doesn't build speed at all. His speed over the first 10-20 yards is comparable to most backs in the NFL though.

In his last season at Nebraska, he ranked 8th in the country in 20+ yard runs despite ranking only 16th in carries. Only 6 RBs had more long runs that season and 4 of them are NFL players (Melvin Gordon, Kareem Hunt, Samaje Perine, Tevin Coleman). AA isn't going to break a lot of 80 yarders, but for the first 20-30 yards he's dangerous, and that covers the vast majority of plays.

DET didn't need to throw. They will need to throw vs. ATL and ATL keeps everything underneath, he'll get 3-4 targets next week. Every team realizes that you're supposed to attack ATL in that fashion.

Yeah and without those two long runs he's what, 2 ypc? Goes both ways. Hasn't scored much in his career yet, seems doubtful. Needs a Riddick injury.

I much rather see Riddick get more snaps carrying the ball. Seems Riddick has way more power. 

Let Abdullah get more reps as the COP, I think he can be more productive. 
If I were to rank RBs based on the trait of power, meaning the ability to gain yards after contact and possibly break tackles with force rather than elusiveness, Theo Riddick would rank Riddick as a two on a one to ten scale in the power category. 

Riddick is still a good player, but power is not one of his strengths at all.

Absolutely. The hallmark of a good RB is one who realizes he has no angle to exploit if he continues to the edge and instead puts his foot in the ground and moves up field for 2-3 yards. He too often continues to the edge and it bugs me, especially when opposing lineman are constantly shedding their blockers and jumping on him for a loss. I mean a lot of the runs are designed to go outside but that doesn't mean they have to go outside.
I didn't see last nights game, but what you describe about Ameer always bouncing plays outside is something I have observed and it bothers me as well.

There was one play from last week where the defense over-pursued to the outside as it was being blocked, and I saw a pretty wide open middle where if he would just cut back inside behind his wall of blockers, he would at least get back to the LOS and be in a one on one with the lone defender still back there, given Ameers ability to make defenders miss, I like his chances to be able to win that one on one.

Instead he follows his blockers right into the pursuit and gets tackled for a loss.

I mean, did you see last week? They tried to run inside repeatedly and Abdullah averaged 2 ypc because that line can't get any push at all. 

Riddick is a former WR, and I don't mean that in a Ty Montgomery kind of way.

Still amazed at how much chatter AA generates. He's a nice RB2 in standard and a bye week filler in PPR. His role won't change barring injury, and the "Riddick on passing downs / Bell-Washington-Zenenr inside the RZ" refrain has been on repeat three years running.

It's like people watch a guy play and then ignore that to project whatever they want. He's an OK back and I hope he continues to play effectively, but he's just one part of team that spreads the ball around to a lot of players.

Still amazed at how much chatter AA generates. He's a nice RB2 in standard and a bye week filler in PPR. His role won't change barring injury, and the "Riddick on passing downs / Bell-Washington-Zenenr inside the RZ" refrain has been on repeat three years running.

It's like people watch a guy play and then ignore that to project whatever they want. He's an OK back and I hope he continues to play effectively, but he's just one part of team that spreads the ball around to a lot of players.
For me, some of this stems from talk prior to the draft. I made a suggestion in the DET thread that DET might be in the market for a RB, in spite of having Zenner, Washington, Riddick, and Abdullah. My argument was that DET doesn't have a 3 down back. Collectively they have a complete back, but not a single one. I was met with some resistance there and specifically with Abdullah as the counter argument. I did think that after Zenner had a good showing to end the season that maybe they'd shy away because he looked pretty good in Abdullah's absence. 

So I was trusting some of the homers with the view that Abdullah could be better than an OK back. I agree with your assessment above. I drafted him as my RB3 in PPR for bye week fill in. I got him rather late in my draft (5.12... I don't remember specifically what RB# he was taken, but I think it was late 20s, possibly 27?). I was thrilled with that and felt like I got a good value that others were drafting 1-2 rounds ahead of me. I was hoping he'd emerge as a pretty good RB2, and he seems to be close to doing that. 

For me, some of this stems from talk prior to the draft. I made a suggestion in the DET thread that DET might be in the market for a RB, in spite of having Zenner, Washington, Riddick, and Abdullah. My argument was that DET doesn't have a 3 down back. Collectively they have a complete back, but not a single one. I was met with some resistance there and specifically with Abdullah as the counter argument. I did think that after Zenner had a good showing to end the season that maybe they'd shy away because he looked pretty good in Abdullah's absence. 

So I was trusting some of the homers with the view that Abdullah could be better than an OK back. I agree with your assessment above. I drafted him as my RB3 in PPR for bye week fill in. I got him rather late in my draft (5.12... I don't remember specifically what RB# he was taken, but I think it was late 20s, possibly 27?). I was thrilled with that and felt like I got a good value that others were drafting 1-2 rounds ahead of me. I was hoping he'd emerge as a pretty good RB2, and he seems to be close to doing that. 
If AA can get 3 or 4 receptions/week, he would be a solid RB3 or flex type player.  I think those receptions are coming. 

For me the only thing of note I see when watching him is the fact that he is getting 17.5 touches/game and Riddick is getting 9.5.  That could change but there is no bias in those numbers.  We can get into the nuance of where and how each back gets used but it seems pretty clear that Abdullah is the lead back in this offense.  That alone has value.

For me the only thing of note I see when watching him is the fact that he is getting 17.5 touches/game and Riddick is getting 9.5.  That could change but there is no bias in those numbers.  We can get into the nuance of where and how each back gets used but it seems pretty clear that Abdullah is the lead back in this offense.  That alone has value.
You don't see many RBs getting that many touches these days. I think with Abdullah it's always been "what if;" what if Riddick was hurt or didn't get those touches. The assumption is that would go to Abdullah because he has the skill set to take on those responsibilities. Whether that's true or not we don't know unless it happens. But if that did happen he'd be in the RB1 discussion based off the volume alone. Even 15-17 touches a game is enough to warrant starting consideration. 

My reservations earlier this morning were more due to his lack of fantasy production thus far. I was unaware he was getting so much volume; that changes my perception a lot

If AA can get 3 or 4 receptions/week, he would be a solid RB3 or flex type player.  I think those receptions are coming. 
 Not so long as Riddick is vertical.  An injury to Riddick would cause AA's value to blow up.  Short of that, and I think you're seeing his ceiling. 

With respect to workload/usage, the 2nd best RB in DET is Riddick.  It's really not close.

Given his skillset, the role you'll carve out for him is going to play to his strengths.  At the end of the day, DET is going to be conscious of not workhorsing Abdullah.  They appear to be content in giving him 50-60% of the offensive snaps which means over a season, he's looking at about approximately 550. This puts him in the 15-20 range against all other RB's (when measured against 2016).

It's not that Abdullah can't catch the ball - again, he's not Michael Turner in the backfield.  It's that the best tandem that leverages the talents of the two best RB's they have on the roster comes out to a split like we're seeing.

Why compare him to players who get receptions and goal line? The reason left for me to keep him, since he doesn't get those was an idea that he had enough explosiveness to get some chunk and house gains from inside the 20s. He can get chunk. He won't get house. Add to the above that he seems proclive to get hurt. He has no fantasy legs left to stand on for me. At least not until his situation changes, and barring injury to other Lions, I'm not seeing that anytime soon. Watch uncle Theo go down now that I've jixed it. Hope not. 
Because those are all situational things. From a talent/long-term standpoint, he still looks very promising. And he is quick and elusive enough that he could easily house it. I once saw LenDale White score an 80 yard TD. You don't have to be the fastest guy on the field in the 100 yard dash to score a long TD. In fact, being able to juke a DB and accelerate back up to top speed quickly (even if it's not that high end) is just as important for long gains as top speed is. A slow first gear will get you caught quicker than a slow top gear!

People act like his current usage is indicative of his abilities. To me, if Charles can be used for ~250 touches/year, including goal line, I don't see why Abdullah couldn't. Abdullah is a little more compact, but they are similar weights. Athletically they are quite different (Charles didn't have the same burst, but Abdullah lacks Charles' long speed) however from a usage perspective I think AA could be used similarly to JC in his prime. Another comparison I like is Tiki Barber.

But while he's stuck in this RBBC, people need to back off the binary thinking. It's like the naysayers want to say because his situation precludes him from top 10 numbers, that he's a waste of a roster spot. He was drafted around RB23. If we're down with analyzing a 2 game sample, my takeaway is that he's faced two tough defensive fronts and gotten some very promising workloads which indicate that, despite a slow statistical start, he has a high probability of returning good value (RoS) for his original RB23 price tag. I would feel a lot better about Abdullah at RB23 than CMC at RB12 or Lamar Miller at RB13. For reference, Mixon was RB19, Ingram was RB21, Powell was RB24, and Coleman was RB25. And really, just scanning the ADP list, I'm not seeing anyone below him that I'd consider an upgrade over him*. I'm sure I'm missing someone, but nothing that stands out at the moment. So to me that indicates that, while not a high upside RB this season, AA does appear to be good value... contrary to the narrative that he's fantasy garbage due to no goal line touches** and Riddick's presence.

*I think I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that CJA (RB22) and Martin (RB26) were other guys in AA's range that I liked - I still consider them good values, too. I'm not someone who views his lineup as fixed, so I like to take a shotgun approach and see who stands out and/or play the matchups. 

**As already mentioned by someone else, he's got 2 of the team's 5 carries inside the 10 yard line this year

The Lions have run 13 red zone plays so far. 4 have gone to Abdullah (from the 4, 8, 14, 14), 4 have gone to Washington (from the 7, 10, 10, 11), 1 has gone to Riddick (from the 7), and 4 have gone to non-RBs (from the 6, 7, 10, 19).

1-10-ARI 19(7:09) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short middle to 15-G.Tate to ARI 13 for 6 yards (56-K.Dansby).
2-4-ARI 13(6:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 21-A.Abdullah right tackle to ARI 10 for 3 yards (43-H.Reddick).
3-1-ARI 10(5:50) 79-A.Barrett reported in as eligible. 36-D.Washington right end to ARI 4 for 6 yards (43-H.Reddick).
1-4-ARI 4(5:09) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 21-A.Abdullah left tackle to ARI 6 for -2 yards (55-C.Jones).
2-6-ARI 6(4:30) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short left to 11-M.Jones for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
1-10-ARI 10(3:52) (Shotgun) 36-D.Washington left tackle to ARI 7 for 3 yards (97-J.Mauro).
2-7-ARI 7(3:15) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short middle to 25-T.Riddick for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
1-10-ARI 14(11:03) (No Huddle) 21-A.Abdullah left end to ARI 13 for 1 yard (27-T.Branch). PENALTY on ARI-98-C.Peters, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at ARI 13.
1-8-ARI 8(10:18) (Shotgun) 21-A.Abdullah right end to ARI 10 for -2 yards (43-H.Reddick; 92-F.Rucker).
2-10-ARI 10(9:33) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short left to 19-K.Golladay for 10 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
1-10-NYG 11(10:17) 36-D.Washington right tackle to NYG 7 for 4 yards (24-E.Apple, 98-D.Harrison).
2-6-NYG 7(9:35) 36-D.Washington up the middle to NYG 7 for no gain (21-L.Collins).
3-6-NYG 7(8:53) (Shotgun) 9-M.Stafford pass short right to 85-E.Ebron for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

^^^ Among other good points, I like the mention of the two tough defenses. Schedule eases up considerably the next few weeks to test that part of the theory. Maybe he's a matchup dependent spot start until the RBBC situation improves. I guess that's good for some opportunistic flex starts.

But still think he's kinda bummy all things considered - sake of fairplay and honesty.

He's just trying to ruin another thread. Don't acknowledge him

He says stupid stuff and takes really dumb positions like this just to stir up trouble
That just reminded me... earlier in the thread when Hot Sauce Guy was trolling hard in here I mentioned that I thought HSG = Mavis... Mavis has now joined in the trolling, Mavis' avatar is picture of hot sauce, and my post saying I think they are the same person has somehow been deleted.

:tinfoilhat:  not trying to start any trouble, just sayin'...

Yes, Riddick runs with more power than Abdullah.
I am not sure why you say that but he really doesn't. Not even close actually.

Here are links to his splits from Pro-Football-Reference. You can check his YPC by down, distance, field position etc.  Ameer is better as a runner by pretty much every metric.

Ameer splits

Theo splits

BTW there is recent news on Jerry Jones regarding his role in Goodel's new contract and it supports your world view.  Thought you would want to know.

That just reminded me... earlier in the thread when Hot Sauce Guy was trolling hard in here I mentioned that I thought HSG = Mavis... Mavis has now joined in the trolling, Mavis' avatar is picture of hot sauce, and my post saying I think they are the same person has somehow been deleted.

idk. Hot Sauce Guy seems like he has kids and a life. I believe he actually does own a hot sauce company from a recipe he created. Mavis seems like some 17 year old kid who just likes to cause problems. 

Maybe Mavis is HSG's kid? idk... But I never saw the connection until you stated it. HSG seems 95% less confrontational. 

idk. Hot Sauce Guy seems like he has kids and a life. I believe he actually does own a hot sauce company from a recipe he created. Mavis seems like some 17 year old kid who just likes to cause problems. 

Maybe Mavis is HSG's kid? idk... But I never saw the connection until you stated it. HSG seems 95% less confrontational. 

Well this is just a bizarre theory to me in particular because I am pretty sure Mavis despises me while Hot Sauce Guy loves me.  Gonna have to think on that one.

HSG is quite reasonable and I remember seeing good discussion from previous seasons with him. And he had a sweepstakes for hot sauce in a Rob Kelley thread last year so he at least makes hot sauce, don't know about a company.

The two comments that stick out from Mavis this season is that Riddick runs with more power than AA and trying to justify someone dropping Carlos Hyde in his league. 

1. I don't troll anywhere. I participate in discussion. Clearly this dude has a major hard on for me to keep talking about me and guessing I'm someone else.

2. No wife/kid - came close to getting married once but for now just the dogs and I'm marrried to my business.

3. I do indeed own a hot sauce company - I've done some contests here. 

4. Sure would be nice if folks could stick to talking football ad just ignore those they don't care for.  Asserting that someone is someone else's sock puppet account seems like a total waste of energy. Especially when they're wrong.

Thanks for the support Doc.

Well this is just a bizarre theory to me in particular because I am pretty sure Mavis despises me while Hot Sauce Guy loves me.  Gonna have to think on that one.
Dunno about love - buy me a couple drinks first, maybe a walk in the moonlight.   ;)  

But sure, we get along fine near as I can tell. 

lol stalk much? 

Just like a certain powerful person in the world has a tweet for everything to show he is a hypocrite, this person has one as well. 

The irony in his posts are so awesome, Alanis is flattered. If you are going to troll, be better at it.

With respect to workload/usage, the 2nd best RB in DET is Riddick.  It's really not close.

Given his skillset, the role you'll carve out for him is going to play to his strengths.  At the end of the day, DET is going to be conscious of not workhorsing Abdullah.  They appear to be content in giving him 50-60% of the offensive snaps which means over a season, he's looking at about approximately 550. This puts him in the 15-20 range against all other RB's (when measured against 2016).

It's not that Abdullah can't catch the ball - again, he's not Michael Turner in the backfield.  It's that the best tandem that leverages the talents of the two best RB's they have on the roster comes out to a split like we're seeing.

LOL for the most part I get along great with HSG... as long as I'm not dogging on Ty Montgomery
Because Ty is my boo. :wub:

also; I've got 10 varieties of sauce & im California's most award winning sauce maker with 75 national awards in 5+ years.

My avi is my company logo. I'm not anonymous on here and several members here know me in RL, so I fail to see how or why I'd be accused of being someone else, but frankly I'm more than a little sick of it.

HSG is quite reasonable and I remember seeing good discussion from previous seasons with him. And he had a sweepstakes for hot sauce in a Rob Kelley thread last year so he at least makes hot sauce, don't know about a company.

The two comments that stick out from Mavis this season is that Riddick runs with more power than AA and trying to justify someone dropping Carlos Hyde in his league. 
Yep. That was me, and it was/is a commercial product. 

Dropping Hyde is ridiculous & Riddick doesn't have more power than AA. 

My position was and is that AA's upside is limited by Roddick's presence in the receiving game and the Lions preference to use a GL back not named AA.

I see both as quite realistic and i don't see how that position could be defined as "trolling". :rolleyes:  

seems more like "participation". 

You guys ruined the thread. Why?

My prediction for Abdullah this week..

14/50/0 on the ground

5/35/0 in the air

50% chance to score a TD

RBs have scored 4 TDs vs. ATL so far this year, 2 on the ground, 2 through the air.

14/50/0 on the ground

5/35/0 in the air

50% chance to score a TD

RBs have scored 4 TDs vs. ATL so far this year, 2 on the ground, 2 through the air.
I'd like his chances at a TD more if Washington is declared out. 

But otherwise I'm down with your projections. I'll take the under on 5 receptions though. ;)  

Sounds like Riddick in for a flex-worthy PPR start again too, if they allow 1 ReTd per game to RBs. 

Joe, the grudges from some have got to stop. Hard when you are called a 17 year old who is just causing problems, when it is the person making such accusations derailing a thread and saying as much in his comments.  

I simply made a remark about Abdullah and Riddick and the thread was derailed and people called me out by name for derailing it. The mob mentality began, It is clear as day who derailed this thread and went out of their way to do so. This may be a forum, but why so many people dislike others is they constantly see posters rag on other posters with such irresponsible accusations.

You have constantly said being excellent, is calling me out by name saying see what happens when Mavis comments, is that excellent Joe? Even went as far to say I'm a 17 year old kid who likes to cause problems, he clearly has a grudge and he is trying to insult me at every turn. This guy literally broke many rules with his comments here, how does he not get a time out and shown just because you disagree with them you cant troll them and insult them.

I tried to PM.
Dude. Stop. 

14/50/0 on the ground

5/35/0 in the air

50% chance to score a TD

Would you start over TY Hilton? Crowell? PPR... 

I feel like this would be about TY's ceiling. I wouldn't consider starting him but he is playing CLE... if IND is going to be any kind of good this season CLE might be it although their D isn't as bad as years past. 

I kind of like this prediction, especially the receptions, but I don't know if that's realistic because he hasn't gotten enough targets in the passing game to even allow for 5 receptions since September 11 2016 (granted, we're talking 4 games, but before that it was Sept/Oct 2015 2 games... So 3 games over his career of 5 targets; he's never had more than 5 targets)

I'd like his chances at a TD more if Washington is declared out. 

But otherwise I'm down with your projections. I'll take the under on 5 receptions though. ;)  

Sounds like Riddick in for a flex-worthy PPR start again too, if they allow 1 ReTd per game to RBs. 
This is going to depend on how competitive the game is, I kind of wish it was in ATL because DET is only +3.

Still, RBs have been targeted 26 times vs. ATL. Unsurprisingly they've given up the most receptions (19). Maybe Cohen skews this a bit, but even Howard saw 5 targets. Like I said, ATL likes to keep everything in front of them. 5 receptions seems lofty but I don't think it's crazy. This assumes a 100% catch rate, so what I'm saying is I think he'll see 5 targets.

This is going to depend on how competitive the game is, I kind of wish it was in ATL because DET is only +3.

Still, RBs have been targeted 26 times vs. ATL. Unsurprisingly they've given up the most receptions (19). Maybe Cohen skews this a bit, but even Howard saw 5 targets. Like I said, ATL likes to keep everything in front of them. 5 receptions seems lofty but I don't think it's crazy. This assumes a 100% catch rate, so what I'm saying is I think he'll see 5 targets.
Hoping it's a fireworks show. I expect it will be. But those pesky defenses always have a way of f-ing that up for FFB, eh? :)  

Users who are viewing this thread