What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Sorry for the cross talk in regards to Collins and Ameer in the Collins thread. Was reading the comparison here and just carried the conversation over there.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I do think they are closer to the same level of talent than DocHolliday might think, but that Collins is the better RB. Mostly due to pad level and power being plus traits for Collins but not Ameer. The situations and ways they have been used have some similarities I think. Both mostly used as between the 20s type RB although there is more hope for Collins to be used at the goal line I think than Ameer from most recent game.

A tier two RB for me consists of over 50 different players.

Rhythmdoctor said:
With so many people dropping and benching AA, it seems like a near lock that he'll have a good game this weekend. I'm starting him because of this thread. 
It’s a mistake, he’s not good! Enjoy 50-60 yards no tds 

Last edited by a moderator:
So he asks for more RZ and short yardage carries. He gets a TD but then two crucial fumbles. Riddick looked pretty solid tonight. Abdullah? Feel like the Lions might stick a fork in him

This guy is droppable now. If he couldn't get it going this week he never will. Riddick and Washington are both ticking up now.

I don’t even remember why I thought he was going to be good when I drafted him this year. Must be because he looked good in the episode of sports science. Ugh.

So he asks for more RZ and short yardage carries. He gets a TD but then two crucial fumbles. Riddick looked pretty solid tonight. Abdullah? Feel like the Lions might stick a fork in him
Nah, he’s too valuable - they’ll keep using him

In between the 20s

Guy simply can’t get out of his own way...actually delivered inside the 5 - then goes and fumbles twice inside the RZ.
I thought that play was dead on the first fumble. Obviously after review the whistle wasn't blown, but it was kind of ridiculous that they waited so long. The play was clearly over by the time the ball came out. The second one I missed and I can't find a video of it. At least his backups didn't do anything with their opportunities at the goal line. 

Watching the game, the difference between Riddick and Abdullah was obvious. Abdullah's 3 yards after contact was enough to net them -1 on run plays while Riddick was just -4. The blocking was just sad and the play calling was predictable. But I guess that set up the pass pretty well, so if you're a Detroit fan you've got to be pretty happy.

Decker's return will be nice, but until they get more creative with the running plays and/or involve him in some designed pass plays, it's going to be tough sledding. Especially if he fumbled away future goal line opportunities. But what's worse? Trotting out scrubs who you know will lose yards or risking a fumble?

ETA: the first fumble on the dead looking play was no in the red zone. It was on the 27. Picking nits, I know.

I thought that play was dead on the first fumble. Obviously after review the whistle wasn't blown, but it was kind of ridiculous that they waited so long. The play was clearly over by the time the ball came out. The second one I missed and I can't find a video of it. At least his backups didn't do anything with their opportunities at the goal line. 

Watching the game, the difference between Riddick and Abdullah was obvious. Abdullah's 3 yards after contact was enough to net them -1 on run plays while Riddick was just -4. The blocking was just sad and the play calling was predictable. But I guess that set up the pass pretty well, so if you're a Detroit fan you've got to be pretty happy.

Decker's return will be nice, but until they get more creative with the running plays and/or involve him in some designed pass plays, it's going to be tough sledding. Especially if he fumbled away future goal line opportunities. But what's worse? Trotting out scrubs who you know will lose yards or risking a fumble?

ETA: the first fumble on the dead looking play was no in the red zone. It was on the 27. Picking nits, I know.
I’ve been a supporter.  I like the kid.  But someone said it above, one step forward and two steps back.  His second fumble was egregious.

I’ve been a supporter.  I like the kid.  But someone said it above, one step forward and two steps back.  His second fumble was egregious.
What happened? Was he carrying it away from his body? Holding it wrong? Holding with one hand when he should've been holding with two?

Riddick had one nice run and blew up a screen pass. Never thought I would say this about a Jim Bob Cooter offense but it was a perfectly called, blocked and executed play (just like Abdullah's TD) Riddick wasn't touched. And that is the common thread in the Detroit running game, if the play is perfect on every level otherwise, my goodness, I don't know if I have seen a group of RBs get hit behind the LoS more than the Lions this year. It's amazing how they do a kinda-sorta decent job protecting Stafford but opposing team defenders seemingly live in the Detroit backfield on called runs.  Sure, Abdullah does look better than the other backs on the roster but, who cares? It doesn't mean anything if the line can't even allow them to get to the LoS before a defender hits them.  I notice it with the WRs too, they seem to be terrible blockers.  DBs are getting to the LoS completely untouched by the Lions WRs.

So while Abdullah may be the "best" back on the Lions it don't mean a hill'o'beans when every aspect of the running game is so poorly designed and executed.

Gruden kept talking about how Stafford can change the play at the LOS so I had to wonder why he didn't check out of the run when it was obvious he was about to send Abdullah into 8 in the box without enough blockers. But at least they said Decker almost suited up for last night's game. Sounds like he should return in week 10 or 11. Assuming he picks up where he left off, that should help quite a bit. LT has been a problem.

As for protecting Stafford, I feel like he's getting hit and pressured a lot this year. It didn't look so bad last night, so maybe that's what you're talking about, but so far this year he's at 26 sacks in 8 games compared to 37 in 16 games last year. 

Just when I thuoght I had something at the most crucial point of my season, to boost me for a playoff run... AA gets a case of fumblitis. Not sure, but I think his GL days are done.  :kicksrock:

What happened? Was he carrying it away from his body? Holding it wrong? Holding with one hand when he should've been holding with two?
No. As he was going to the ground he kind of got turned a little onto his right side, ball was hit out- close to his body. Just let go. Fortunately DET recovered. I think AA might have even. I just think it was a good defensive strip

Nah, he’s too valuable - they’ll keep using him

In between the 20s
That's what I meant. Abdullah owners patiently waited for him to get these kind of touches, he got them and fumbled. It seems like we may have false hope that Decker will improve his situation.

I don't know if it was technique really...he just got separated from the ball in the most important part of the field to not get separated from the ball about 10 minutes after he had already fumbled.  DET was lucky to get the ball back.

And I think that's the issue...it wasn't like he was carrying it like a loaf of bread or being careless.  He just fumbled after getting stuck (admittedly, it was a hard hit in traffic)...but that's going to happen from time to time.

I don't know if it was technique really...
I always wonder about this. If I'm a coach, do I beat a guy up if it wasn't his technique? I mean, some fumbles are preventable and some are just getting hit at the right angle at the right time. Riddick and Washington have not been effective runners. I wouldn't give up hope for Abdullah's continued usage in the red zone. Hopefully getting benched during blow out time was all the punitive action Caldwell plans to take against him. 

I feel like things are starting to click for Detroit. Marvin Jones started slow but has been getting it done deep. Tate is still getting it done with his short passes. Decker is coming back. The running game has to catch on at some point, right? Defenses can't keep stacking the box.

Maybe it's just recency bias. It's only really been two games. Here's Stafford's YPA for the first 8 games: 7.1, 5.8, 5.9, 6.7, 6.5, 6.0, 9.4, 10.9

So he’s toast at the goal line? He did get the one TD. 
Remains to be seen. Riddick didn't look very good and Washington had his shot. I'm still holding out hope because at this point that's all I can do. 

Nothing's been said yet on whether he's toast. But nothing was said about him getting more GL carries before this game. I don't think we will know until next game actually... 

I've been watching quite a bit of this kid lately, and I'm still on the bus....sort of. He's got plenty of talent, but he's not a power back. That O-line is doing a fair job of protecting the QB, but an AWFUL job in the running game. It seems like every 2or 3 carries the RB in Detroit is swamped before the can take 2 steps, and all too often the calls for inside runs are stacked up at the line with ZERO holes to work with. Meanwhile, when there IS something to work with, a reasonable crease or decent hole, AA does his job, hits the hole, generally falls forward. He has more than enough quicks to be VERY dangerous in space.. He's just a bad match for that team right now...they need a better run blocking unit or they need a beast who can push forward for 2 or 3 yards when it's stacked up. It doesn't help that Riddick is a terrific receiving back, and so is the back of choice in obvious passing downs, because AA seems to have decent hands and is a willing blocker. ON another team, he'd have twice the targets in the passing game. This guy would be money in a place like Philly with some semblance of run-blocking.

He's a mild bust in re-draft (bye week filler when drafted as a RB2), but an absolute hold in dynasty. A different line, a different scheme, he could be good.

Re. the fumbles yesterday: the first one shouldn't have counted. He was stacked with all momentum stopped and the refs took an extra second or two to blow the whistle...three defenders ripping at a ball and AA held upright and not moving. SHould have been blown dead. The second is absolutely on him...might have been trying too hard after the earlier fumble and the trouble Detroit has had at the goal line in general.

AA on the fumbles: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/11/07/detroit-lions-ameer-abdullah-fumbles/838897001/

Some Detroit stats: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/10/29/stats-reveal-detroit-lions-positive-negative-trends/107151628/

A big part of the problem on first downs is the team’s inability to routinely run the ball. Almost one out of every three times the Lions hand the ball off they are stopped for no gain or lose yardage. No team has had a stuff rate that high since the Arizona Cardinals in 2005.

The positive news is starting running back Ameer Abdullah isn’t the problem. According to Pro Football Focus, he’s third in the NFL in average yards after contact and 10th in missed tackles as a runner. So if the Lions can solve some of their blocking woes – both schematic and execution issues – there is hope.

That O-line is doing a fair job of protecting the QB
They rank 2nd (or 31st depending on perspective) in sacks allowed. I'd change that "fair" to "unsatisfactory". 
On the season, for sure, with 17 sacks allowed weeks 4-6. The last two games they have given up 3, and Stafford has had a clean pocket. Once Greg Robinson got hurt & they replaced him with Mahalik at LT, they’ve graded out much better.

Decker may return this week.

On the season, for sure, with 17 sacks allowed weeks 4-6. The last two games they have given up 3, and Stafford has had a clean pocket. Once Greg Robinson got hurt & they replaced him with Mahalik at LT, they’ve graded out much better.

Decker may return this week.
Yeah, didn't mean to imply they haven't done better in the last two games - just meant to point out that the OL has not been good, or even fair, in any phase of the game when taking into account the whole season. Would be great to have Decker back. One of the broadcasters mentioned that he almost suited up for week 9. 

Yeah, didn't mean to imply they haven't done better in the last two games - just meant to point out that the OL has not been good, or even fair, in any phase of the game when taking into account the whole season. Would be great to have Decker back. One of the broadcasters mentioned that he almost suited up for week 9. 
Both the right side FA signed veterans have graded out well - Wagner has been their best lineman, Lang is great on the field & in the locker room. Huge regression for Swanson this season. Glasgow is versatile but he’s struggled at times. Robinson, before he was hurt, was like 73rd out of 76 T graded by PFF. So basically, they line up from R-to-L / best-to-worst.

Brian Mahalik was a Steelers project eerily similar to Villanueva. Both 6’9”, both former DE, except the former has never played an NFL until a couple weeks ago. He’s not blowing people away but just going from worst LT in the league to competency has been massive - just look at Stafford’s game logs.

Anyway, sorry for the rabbit trail.Should help AA getting Decker back but obviously the larger issue is him fumbling away his GL back opportunity. So frustrating - I think he’s still there best option on the roster down there, but they won’t trust him now.

Both the right side FA signed veterans have graded out well - Wagner has been their best lineman, Lang is great on the field & in the locker room. Huge regression for Swanson this season. Glasgow is versatile but he’s struggled at times. Robinson, before he was hurt, was like 73rd out of 76 T graded by PFF. So basically, they line up from R-to-L / best-to-worst.

Brian Mahalik was a Steelers project eerily similar to Villanueva. Both 6’9”, both former DE, except the former has never played an NFL until a couple weeks ago. He’s not blowing people away but just going from worst LT in the league to competency has been massive - just look at Stafford’s game logs.

Anyway, sorry for the rabbit trail.Should help AA getting Decker back but obviously the larger issue is him fumbling away his GL back opportunity. So frustrating - I think he’s still there best option on the roster down there, but they won’t trust him now.
Yeah, those two were good signings. Certainly a lot of reason for optimism for the Lions for the remainder of the schedule. Not only do they have a lot of very winnable games (they should be favored, IMO, in 7 of the remaining 8 games), but Decker will help Stafford and as the passing game improves, things will open up for the run game. If Abdullah can hold onto the ball, he could have a very nice second half with or without goal line carries. Would still like to see him involved in the passing game some more, though. JBC is wasting a significant portion of Abdullah's skill set. 

As a Lion homer who thinks Zenner looked better when he got the chance last year, I'm waiting to read the blurb that the Lions will activate and give Zenner a shot this weekend. Probably not going to happen but I think he is better suited for this offense with with better vision and tackle breaking ability. He also had the 2nd best Sparq score for RB's coming out in 2015. 

No comments after last week?

All the woe-is-me talk in here and people selling after his disasterous performance against GB (2 GL fumbles). Yet he still got the GL carries over Washington and Riddick last week

I think we could actually have something now. Abdullah seems to be a RB2 at this point as long as he keeps getting these goal line carries. Surprised not more excitement over last week's usage. 

All the woe-is-me talk in here and people selling after his disasterous performance against GB (2 GL fumbles). Yet he still got the GL carries over Washington and Riddick last week

I think we could actually have something now. Abdullah seems to be a RB2 at this point as long as he keeps getting these goal line carries. Surprised not more excitement over last week's usage. 
Because there’s more talk about players who aren’t playing than ones who actually are.

Gordon, Zeke, etc.

I'm obviously pro-AA but, in an attempt to be unbiased, I feel obligated to point out that there actually were no goal line carries in this game. I'm browsing the play-by-play and it appears there were only four red zone plays utilizing a running back. Abduallah got three of them. A carry from the 19, a carry from the 8 (touchdown :pickle: ) and his lone :censored:  target of the game was from the 11. Theo Riddick caught a TD from the 8 yard line (on 2nd and 7 right after Abdullah's 3 yard reception - I wasn't happy they pulled Abdullah on 2nd down and was even less happy with the result). I believe the general consensus is that anything inside the 5 is a goal line carry, but if they're giving Abdullah carries in the red zone, one would have to think he'd get carries inside the 5 if there were any, so I agree week 11 was very positive on that front for Abdullah.

Additionally, he played the highest percentage of snaps (60%) of the season (previous high was 51% - week 1). Dwayne Washington only played 8% (4 snaps) and recorded zero carries and one target. Not sure what's up with that. Google says it was due to a hip injury (yet his reception came in the 4th quarter so I'm confused). Either way, it's possible Abdullah's workload could slip back this week. If Washington can't go, I'm sure they'll activate Zenner. 

Looking ahead, week 12 vs. Minnesota is his only bad matchup, but his best game of the year came against Minnesota on the road. Anyone planning to start him? Somehow I find myself with a plethora of RB options in the leagues in which I've got Abdullah.

I'm obviously pro-AA but, in an attempt to be unbiased, I feel obligated to point out that there actually were no goal line carries in this game. I'm browsing the play-by-play and it appears there were only four red zone plays utilizing a running back. Abduallah got three of them. A carry from the 19, a carry from the 8 (touchdown :pickle: ) and his lone :censored:  target of the game was from the 11. Theo Riddick caught a TD from the 8 yard line (on 2nd and 7 right after Abdullah's 3 yard reception - I wasn't happy they pulled Abdullah on 2nd down and was even less happy with the result). I believe the general consensus is that anything inside the 5 is a goal line carry, but if they're giving Abdullah carries in the red zone, one would have to think he'd get carries inside the 5 if there were any, so I agree week 11 was very positive on that front for Abdullah.

Additionally, he played the highest percentage of snaps (60%) of the season (previous high was 51% - week 1). Dwayne Washington only played 8% (4 snaps) and recorded zero carries and one target. Not sure what's up with that. Google says it was due to a hip injury (yet his reception came in the 4th quarter so I'm confused). Either way, it's possible Abdullah's workload could slip back this week. If Washington can't go, I'm sure they'll activate Zenner. 

Looking ahead, week 12 vs. Minnesota is his only bad matchup, but his best game of the year came against Minnesota on the road. Anyone planning to start him? Somehow I find myself with a plethora of RB options in the leagues in which I've got Abdullah.
I guess I consider "Down and Goal" a goal line carry. 8 yards from the end zone is goal line in my mind, but maybe that's not the true definition. Red Zone might be better? 

I might be starting AA ROS as RB2. If he gets GL carries I have to. My other options are Crowell (who looks like he's back), Collins (kind of the same category as AA), Cohen (puke, probably dropping for DeDe this week), or Perine (another puke but thinking maybe I can catch lightning in a bottle). Ajayi is my RB1. Yuck, I know, but looking positive at least going forward, maybe? 

I might be starting AA ROS as RB2. If he gets GL carries I have to. My other options are Crowell (who looks like he's back), Collins (kind of the same category as AA), Cohen (puke, probably dropping for DeDe this week), or Perine (another puke but thinking maybe I can catch lightning in a bottle). Ajayi is my RB1. Yuck, I know, but looking positive at least going forward, maybe? 
Through various leagues I've got some of those options, too. Not to thread hijack, but how is Crowell coming on strong AFTER Joe Thomas gets hurt and while playing against good defenses? He's been on my bench(es) for his good games.  :rant:

Speaking Sunday, Lions coach Jim Caldwell declined to call Ameer Abdullah his starting running back.

Evidently cleared from his neck injury, Abdullah was inactive for Sunday's win over the Bucs. Caldwell was fuzzy on Abdullah's status going forward. It's a deserved benching, though Abdullah is certainly one of the Lions' 46 best players. He should return to a rotation with Theo Riddick, Tion Green and perhaps Zach Zenner. Abdullah's re-draft value is shot.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Dec 11 - 3:29 PM

If he’s still with the team this season, he’s going to be even more frustrated. Is his average performance due to the Lions o-line or is it just him? 
I think if it was just the o-line Kerryon Johnson wouldn't have been drafted and Blount signed. Tion Green, who is JAG who outperformed Ameer has been cut, . To his credit, Zenner and Washington didn't look much better, although admittedly that isn't saying much.

Detroit gave him more than 1 opportunity to take that job and he did not do it...he is not a #1 RB...the best bet for him is to become a high-quality third down back...I think there is a chance for him to have success in that type of role...

I still think he's got NFL ability, but he really should be a receiving back, not a main guy. Definitely over-estimated how he'd translate to the NFL. I still think he could be successful as a fantasy back if he had a bigger role, but we will likely never see that. With the new regime clearly not showing any interest in him, I hope they cut him so he can get his last shot somewhere else. If I didn't already own him everywhere, I might send a 3rd or 4th rounder to grab him on the chance he ends up in a good situation, but as an owner, I'll probably just ride him until he's out of the league (which may not be much longer).

Without question my biggest disappointment last season. His rookie year was fine and he showed flashes in year two before the injury, but last year it just collapsed completely. I don't think you can completely blame the situation, even if it was a factor. I now look at Abdullah as nothing more than a scrap heap lottery ticket who will probably need a new team in order to find a new lease on life.

Users who are viewing this thread