What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (3 Viewers)

I remember McCoy slipping in rookie drafts..... if im not mistaken he was a second round pick when he came out of Pitt, similar profile more straight speed but similar vision and shifty lateral ability.... I think his floor if healthy is Gio and his ceiling is shady. I got him at 1.10 after going Gordon 1.04, and Green-Beckham at 1.08..... honestly im most excited about Abdullah.

I'm sitting at 10 in a superflex tonight. I hope Abdullah or Yeldon slide to me, but if they don't it's Perriman for me over Agholor and DGB.

He is there for me to pick right now in PPR at 1.10 along with Agholor and Perriman and DGB available as well. Tough decision.

He is there for me to pick right now in PPR at 1.10 along with Agholor and Perriman and DGB available as well. Tough decision.
Unless you're fairly stacked at RB, I'd go with Abdullah. I own DGB in a couple of leagues, but the immaturity issues really worry me with him. I really think Abdullah landed in a Russell Wilson like landing spot in that I think the team does believe in him (as more than just a situational back).

Unless you're fairly stacked at RB, I'd go with Abdullah. I own DGB in a couple of leagues, but the immaturity issues really worry me with him. I really think Abdullah landed in a Russell Wilson like landing spot in that I think the team does believe in him (as more than just a situational back).
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

I've been really fortunate to assemble one of the better teams in our dynasty league. It's going on 6 years now.

My backs are J. Charles, Arian Foster, LeVeon Bell, Jonathan Stewart, Charles Sims, Devonta Freeman, Bilal Powell, and Trent Richardson. My Wr's are equally plentiful with A.J. Green, Demaryius Thomas, Antonio Brown, Devantae Adams, Stedman Bailey, Josh Gordon, and Justin Hunter.

For RB's: I figure Freeman and Powell are likely scrap heap. Richardson was total bust and looking like he is also headed for scrap heap. Arian Foster might have one very good year left. Maybe Stewart with one or two years left but always iffy. Charles maybe 2 very good years. Bell looks solid for several years. Sims is unknown. Abdullah would be a solid developing back up for first year while waiting for Joique Bell and Riddick to fan out.

As far as WRs': Similarly, Perriman or Agholor would seem to be behind the studs in front of him.

I tend to value high target WR's in PPR more than RB's. Even pass catching RB's. I honestly thought Agholor would be gone now and that Yeldon would be there for me to pick. I would have selected Yeldon over Abdullah and was surprised to see some posters here in this thread have Yeldon behind Abdullah.

If I go WR now, then I would look to see if there is value at RB at my next picks at 2.10 and 2.11. Not sure there is value there. Whereas if I go Abdullah now at 1.10, there could be some value at WR at 2.10 and 2.11 such as Lockett or Coates. I am half tempted to roll the dice on Agholor and gamble on Ajayi being there at 2.10 or 2.11, but I am sure the Miller owner will take him.

Decisions...decisions...

Just got him. Gave up Phillip Dorsett + Trent Richardson for him.

Also was able to draft Riddick late in the draft.

If you need RB a pretty easy choice, if you need WR Perriman Agholor DGB. I would put Abdullah behind only Perriman over all.
I passed on Abdullah. I am not sold on him as being a bell cow back. His smallish stature reminds me too much of Davante Freeman, Ellington, and Gio B. All 3 look to have had bigger backs brought in behind them.

If you need RB a pretty easy choice, if you need WR Perriman Agholor DGB. I would put Abdullah behind only Perriman over all.
I passed on Abdullah. I am not sold on him as being a bell cow back. His smallish stature reminds me too much of Davante Freeman, Ellington, and Gio B. All 3 look to have had bigger backs brought in behind them.
2 of these 3 had significantly worse NFL draft position, so not surprising that they have devoted more resources to the position. In Gio's case, they brought in a new OC that installed a power run scheme. But the concerns are valid. I will say that personally, I think he can be FF relevant even if he isn't the bell cow. Lombardi seems to be modeling the Det offense off of the historical NO scheme, and they have been able to turn out multiple FF relevant backs on a yearly basis.

Fair enough. However, there are a few other guys that were a bit more successful than your examples who also had a similarly "smallish stature" (sizes at time of entering the NFL, mostly): Emmitt Smith 5'9" 205lbs, Barry Sanders 5'8" 203lbs, Tiki Barber 5'10" 205lbs, Marshall Faulk 5'10" 207lbs, Frank Gore 5'9" 210lbs, Thurman Thomas 5'10" 206lbs, Priest Holmes 5'9" 210lbs -- I'm sure there are more but that's probably sufficient to indicate my point. I'm not saying Ameer will be a peer of that list, but I am saying that dismissing him purely because of his stature is a mistake. I'll also note that he ended up on a team that put one of those "small stature" guys in the HoF, indicating that they may be more likely to give him a shot to carry the load.

For further reading, I've been impressed with this article on the ideal RB size based on the sizes of successful RBs over the last few decades in the NFL (tl:dr: 5'9" ~210-215lbs).

I also found this excerpt from a scouting report by Gil Brandt of Barry Sanders when the Cowboys were evaluating him to be drafted (they ended up taking Troy Aikman #1):

Sanders measured up at 5-foot-7 5/8, 203 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37. ... I wish he was a little taller. ... Has Tony Dorsett-like ability as a runner, unbelievable quickness (quickness grades above 80 percent). ... Great leg strength and vision. ... Can cut, stop and start on a dime. ... Has been very durable. ... Can return kickoffs (two for TDs in 1987). ... Oklahoma State seldom throws ball to running backs but he did catch ball well in practice. ... Great person, everyone from equipment manager to the secretaries brag on him.
Aside from the fact that Ameer runs a mid 4.5 (pro day) instead of a 4.37, you could apply all of those statements to Abdullah. I think its a fair question whether that difference in 40 yard times could prove to be a determining factor to success, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 of these 3 had significantly worse NFL draft position, so not surprising that they have devoted more resources to the position. In Gio's case, they brought in a new OC that installed a power run scheme. But the concerns are valid. I will say that personally, I think he can be FF relevant even if he isn't the bell cow. Lombardi seems to be modeling the Det offense off of the historical NO scheme, and they have been able to turn out multiple FF relevant backs on a yearly basis.
I do think Freeman is similar runner/player. As high school prospects I had Freeman rated above Abdullah, but by the time they made it to the NFL combine it was clear that Abdullah had put in more weight room work and distanced himself. I actually prefer Freeman to Coleman as runners, but ultimately it comes down to opportunity and scheme fit and the Falcons clearly have concerns about Freeman.

Hoot&HoLLer said:
VarsityBlues123 said:
He won't necessarily be the "bell cow." Everyone wants to forget Joique Bell and Theo Riddick actually filled in quite nicely. I don't see Abdullah filling in week 1 and never looking back. I'm a big Abdullah

fan, and a Lions fan, and glad we got him. But I think at least this first year, we should temper our expectations a little.

I liked Abdullah in PPR and was targeting him. I then started watching more games and watching Yeldon and Coleman. I passed on Abdullah in a league where I had the 1.6 and 1.9 for a team with running back need. I don't like his frame and he also reminds me of a cop back like GIo and A lesser Reggie Bush.

I see the potential for big games now and then, but Bell is better than what people give him credit for and there is not a lot of tread on the tires. Could be a lot of frustration with who has the fantasy production week to week.
I see him as more of a poor man's Lesean McCoy. Although I admit, McCoy was terribly frustrating last season.

Rotoworld:

Ameer Abdullah is expected to be the Lions' primary kick returner this season.

Jeremy Ross filled that role in 2014. Abdullah returned 14 kicks for the University of Nebraska last season with a long of 76 yards. He'll be part of a running back committee with Joique Bell and Theo Riddick. Abdullah has the highest ceiling of the three and should separate himself from the pack before long.

Source: Detroit Free Press
Jun 4 - 9:28 PM

Abdullah impresses as Lions remain careful with Bell

"These guys get more reps, and every rep is good," Lombardi said. "It helps them learn and, again, I think that's an exceptionally bright group, too. I like Abdullah more every day. He's a real pro, and every day, you can see him do things that really excite you.

"He didn't get a chance, maybe, to show everything he can do as a receiver at Nebraska, but he's even better in that phase of the game than I thought when we drafted him. So it was kind of a bonus when you see how well he catches the ball and how well he runs routes," Lombardi said.

I couldn't justify taking him at 1.03 and my league sucks when it comes to trading but I knew he struck gold when Detroit grabbed him. Fortunately, I own Stafford and can't wait to have this electric playmaker turning dumpoffs into points.

He's going to take this job and run with it by week 8. Top 10 fantasy back next season.
I don't think it takes him that long. Bell is breaking down and was slow to begin with. Bell will be the goal line back if healthy but Ameer seems poised to earn the job out of camp. Bell isn't a special talent.

Rotoworld:

According to the Detroit Free Press, "it's evident" that second-round pick Ameer Abdullah "will play significant minutes this fall."

Abdullah endeared himself to the coaching staff during OTAs, impressing with his "quick feet" and "sure hands." With Lions minicamp taking place Tuesday through Thursday, we'll be keeping tabs on how many first-team reps Abdullah receives. Joique Bell remains sidelined by Achilles' and knee surgeries.

Jun 15 - 4:47 PM

Odds are that he'll get Gio Bernarded next year. Or we could say Andre Ellingtoned. Or we could even say Devonte Freemaned. Hell, he's smaller than all of them. You could put Gio's name in the thread title from 2 years ago. It reads the same.

Odds are that he'll get Gio Bernarded next year. Or we could say Andre Ellingtoned. Or we could even say Devonte Freemaned. Hell, he's smaller than all of them. You could put Gio's name in the thread title from 2 years ago. It reads the same.
Gio and Ellington both commanded steep prices at one point. If you believe that history will repeat, then Ameer is a good guy to draft and sell high later

Gio and Ellington both commanded steep prices at one point. If you believe that history will repeat, then Ameer is a good guy to draft and sell high later
Yep. That is what I would do if I took him. They also have a conservative coach so forget this guy being the man at the goal line.

His combine weight was higher than Bernard and Ellington. Not that it really matters.

If Ameer has the type of rookie season I expect, he will be a top 10 dynasty RB at this time next year. Then you can decide what to do with him.

Personally, I think he's a better prospect than any of the guys you named. Much better than Ellington and Freeman. Drafted a lot higher too.

On a recent episode of On the Couch, he was effusive in his praise for Abdullah. I haven't watched much film on him, but if Waldman likes his that much, I'm paying close attention

EBF said:
lod01 said:
His combine weight was higher than Bernard and Ellington. Not that it really matters.

If Ameer has the type of rookie season I expect, he will be a top 10 dynasty RB at this time next year. Then you can decide what to do with him.

Personally, I think he's a better prospect than any of the guys you named. Much better than Ellington and Freeman. Drafted a lot higher too.
:goodposting:

Think he's going to be quite a nice get for PPR redrafters this year. Perfect for the Lions offense. Great blend of rushing & receiving ability.

EBF said:
lod01 said:

:goodposting: Think he's going to be quite a nice get for PPR redrafters this year. Perfect for the Lions offense. Great blend of rushing & receiving ability.
But how do you view him in standard? Same?

But how do you view him in standard? Same?
I don't play standard but IMO ~ Gio Bernard yearly stats to date are my expectation. How valuable that is I'm not sure in standard.

We know Riddick is a zero in the run game (staff has shown they have zero confidence in him there). If Bell cant recover or brutally ineffective like BJGE in Cincy w/ Bernard -- which I do think is very possible -- there's a lot of upside for more in Abdulah as you can draft as a RB3/4. Joique Bell is squarely on my Do Not Draft list. JMO The Lions won't be able to keep Abdullah off the field. [He'll prove to be an upgrade on Bell in both rushing and receiving]

Last edited by a moderator:
http://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit-nfl/ddrysdale/jim-caldwell-is-excited-about-the-progression-of-ameer-abdullah/38779/

“He’s a hard worker. He studies extremely well, he’s diligent in his process, he’s disciplined and he has talent on top of that. You can see he’s quick and, obviously, he’s able to catch the ball for us. So, his progression has been good. He’s coming along. He’s not going through practice without any mistakes, but he is making very few.” Caldwell said.

“One of the things that I think is important in this league one way or another, one guy’s got to be yours. When you look at the numbers count, there’s always going to be a defensive guy that’s free. The quarterback’s handing the ball to the back, quarterback’s not blocking, there’s somebody that’s going to be loose. You have to be able to have a back that one way or another he’s got to be able to take care of that guy. Now, some guys use power, some guys use speed to run away from them, some guys use a little bit of finesse. I think his forte is he’s pretty quick.” Caldwell said.

Ameer Abdullah - RB - Lions

Ameer Abdullah took the first rep with the first team at this week's minicamp.
Joique Bell (Achilles', knee) is not participating. The Lions aren't wasting time playing any veteran deference games, running Abdullah with the starters ahead of George Winn and passing back Theo Riddick. A well-rounded running back with truly unique athletic ability, Abdullah is a threat for a major workload right out the gate.

In this day and age of RBBC It seems like it is becoming harder and harder to get a guy that gets 20+ carries a game and easier to draft guys that get 8 to 10 carries a game. Which side of the fence does Abdullah fall on?
Lions are still a pass happy team They want to be more balance I think he get 12 touches a game

In this day and age of RBBC It seems like it is becoming harder and harder to get a guy that gets 20+ carries a game and easier to draft guys that get 8 to 10 carries a game. Which side of the fence does Abdullah fall on?
Lions are still a pass happy team They want to be more balance I think he get 12 touches a game
Agreed. I think Gordon and yeldon easily get more touches. Gurley too if healthy.

He should get the most of the pass touches of the RBs imo, combined with his run touches he should do ok.

'Boys DB Byron Jones: Praise 'shows I'm on right path'

Excerpt:

Detroit Lions rookie running back Ameer Abdullah -- who we think could end up eventually being a starter this season -- said he could be a three-down player if asked.

"Most definitely," he said. "I came into this league hoping to get the opportunity to play running back on every down. I full-heartedly believe that is what my calling is. That is what I'm supposed to do. So I'm looking forward to it...

"That's what I've done my whole life," Abdullah added when asked why he's so confident. "I haven't done anything else, so I don't see why I wouldn't be confident in my game. I know my teammates trust me in such a short time to do so. I trust myself."

Rotoworld:

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press believes the Lions envision second-round pick Ameer Abdullah as an eventual feature back.

Abdullah's detractors see him as a Gio Bernard- or Shane Vereen-type scatback. Birkett believes the Lions feel Abdullah can handle a heavier workload, saying the Nebraska alum "has the potential to be the Lions’ primary running back." Birkett envisions Joique Bell opening the season as Detroit's lead runner, "at least early on," but states that "the job will be Abdullah’s before long."

Source: The Route Tree
Jul 5 - 3:59 PM

Users who are viewing this thread