What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Week 1 is in the books and if you are like me you are ok with Duke's performance but not overwhelmed.

He about evenly split touches with Hyde, which is a disappointment. But he looked good in the passing game and was targeted fairly often. In terms of ppr fantasy points, he outperformed Hyde and provided a quality start, but not a difference making one.

Duke: 9 carries for 57 yards; 5 targets, 4 receptions and 33 yards: 13 fantasy points

Hyde: 10 carries for 83 yards; 1 target, 1 reception and 2 yards: 9.5 fantasy points

Hyde looked like the better runner and Duke the better receiver. But Duke did get almost half the carries, which is encouraging.  

Week 1 is in the books and if you are like me you are ok with Duke's performance but not overwhelmed.

He about evenly split touches with Hyde, which is a disappointment. But he looked good in the passing game and was targeted fairly often. In terms of ppr fantasy points, he outperformed Hyde and provided a quality start, but not a difference making one.

Duke: 9 carries for 57 yards; 5 targets, 4 receptions and 33 yards: 13 fantasy points

Hyde: 10 carries for 83 yards; 1 target, 1 reception and 2 yards: 9.5 fantasy points

Hyde looked like the better runner and Duke the better receiver. But Duke did get almost half the carries, which is encouraging.  
If this is true (and I agree with your assessment), I'm curious how long the second half of that sentence will be the case?

Duke Johnson rushed nine times for 57 yards and caught 4-of-5 targets for 33 yards in the Texans' Week 1 loss to the Saints.

Carlos Hyde got the start for the Texans and handled 11 touches for 85 yards to Johnson 13 and 90, respectively. Johnson was getting peppered with targets in the first half but didn't see a single one after halftime. His 32-yard run in the fourth quarter was his biggest play of the night. The Texans seemed to prefer a Hyde on early downs look with Johnson mixing in and handling most pass-game situations. That should lead to Johnson having the better fantasy season, but Johnson is a borderline RB2/3 headed into Week 2 against Jacksonville coming off just 13 touches in a shootout. Watson is notorious for rarely targeting his running backs, so catches could be tough to come by consistently.

Sep 9, 2019, 10:46 PM ET

Absolute disaster...Hyde looks lithe and Duke looks like he's status quo to Cleveland in terms of a role but down the list of options

Duke Johnson rushed six times for 31 yards in the Texans' Week 2 win over the Jaguars.

He failed to catch his lone target in the pass game, but it had a strong chance of being a 21-yard touchdown. Johnson was wide open near the pylon, but Deshaun Watson missed him on an apparent miscommunication. Johnson has been outplayed by Carlos Hyde through two games, and Hyde has a stranglehold on early-down run work. Johnson is left as a borderline RB2/3 headed into Week 3 against the Chargers.
Both guys just keep eating into each other's work, Hyde being the early down guy and presumably the goal line back.

Can't figure why this guy never gets a chance. To the bench he goes! 
Yup. But Hyde is playing better than expected and this was a game where they were ahead. Guessing Hyde will be better in games like this and Duke in games that are passing shootouts.

It wouldn't be surprising if the Texans traded for another running back.  Or signed Ajayi.  BOB wants so badly to win this year.  He could possibly avoid being fired if they don't make the playoffs this year but he would limp into next year with zero power.  And Nick Caserio would get credit for any turnaround that happens in 2020 or after.  If BOB truly has general manager power it'll be hard to him to resist making a move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke had a better week 1 fantasy and Hyde a better week 2. But ironically, for all the crowing from Hyde owners, he hasn't had a double digit fantasy game yet. 

az_prof said:
Duke had a better week 1 fantasy and Hyde a better week 2. But ironically, for all the crowing from Hyde owners, he hasn't had a double digit fantasy game yet. 
He did?  In my league (non-PPR, TD-heavy, 1 per 20 yds rushing/receiving) Hyde has had 4 points each week.  Duke has had 3 points and 1 point.  YMMV.

I suppose it's only "crowing" relative to the dire predictions that were bandied about for Hyde.  To paraphrase Twain, it would appear that the reports of his death were an exaggeration.

He did?  In my league (non-PPR, TD-heavy, 1 per 20 yds rushing/receiving) Hyde has had 4 points each week.  Duke has had 3 points and 1 point.  YMMV.

I suppose it's only "crowing" relative to the dire predictions that were bandied about for Hyde.  To paraphrase Twain, it would appear that the reports of his death were an exaggeration.
You’re happy with 4 points?

You’re happy with 4 points?
Happiness is relative.

When you spend nothing on a guy--because everybody else presumed that he would be out of the league by Week 3--and he looks like he is the bell cow in Houston's offense... that feels like good value, yeah.

NFL fantasy football waiver wire: 6 adds and 4 drops for Week 4

Drops

Duke Johnson, RB, Texans (owned in 83 percent of leagues): Johnson has been reduced to a minor role after only receiving 10 touches the past two weeks. It is just hard to play someone who you can’t count on to get enough touches. Running backs are thin enough I get not wanting to drop Johnson outright, but now may be a good time to firmly sit him on the bench.
I've always been puzzled why teams don't use this guy but their has to be some reason because they just don''t use him.  

You mean when something happens to Hyde.
I was ready to admit I was wrong about Duke in HOU and drop him because it looks like HOU just doesn't know how to use a receiving back. But this talk about Duke going to NYG sort of, maybe, makes sense. And in NY he could be valuable as a receiving back while Barkley is out.

I was ready to admit I was wrong about Duke in HOU and drop him because it looks like HOU just doesn't know how to use a receiving back. But this talk about Duke going to NYG sort of, maybe, makes sense. And in NY he could be valuable as a receiving back while Barkley is out.
Makes no sense for Houston. Not understanding their line of thinking. They really need a pass catching back....having two plodders like CJ and Hyde...both older and can easily break down at anytime.

They are a ship without a captain it seems. They need a GM fast. Miami fleeced them (glad they did of course) in the Tunsil/Stills deal.

Makes no sense for Houston. Not understanding their line of thinking. They really need a pass catching back....having two plodders like CJ and Hyde...both older and can easily break down at anytime.

They are a ship without a captain it seems. They need a GM fast. Miami fleeced them (glad they did of course) in the Tunsil/Stills deal.
Really?  Don't they have one? 

If the QB simply refuses to check down, always scrambles and spins away and ends up throwing deep... do you really need a pass catching back?  Dude has been there for almost 20% of their season and they haven't really utilized him yet.  Not sure if that's the coach's scheme, or a QB who simply does not check down.  And if the QB won't use him... why have him around?

Really liked the Duke situation, even after Hyde was added, and yet I'm so glad that I went after the "talent" elsewhere and not the opportunity (and potential unknown talent) he had in Houston.  Dont always do that, but Id be be infuriated at losing all those touches to a total JAG like Hyde.

The condition of the pick is Duke being active 10 games (4th turns to 3rd). I certainly would think he will be active >10 games but it's certainly fair to question right now (even if extremely weird to sour on a guy so quick) given they really lack draft capital after the Tunsil deal and seeing 10 total touches last two weeks (2 catches)

The condition of the pick is Duke being active 10 games (4th turns to 3rd). I certainly would think he will be active >10 games but it's certainly fair to question right now (even if extremely weird to sour on a guy so quick) given they really lack draft capital after the Tunsil deal and seeing 10 total touches last two weeks (2 catches)
I assume active for the Texans for 10 games? Or would that still count if he were traded to another team.

The idea of Duke Johnson with Giants is exciting. I would like to see some team use him more. I think he is a good player.

I assume active for the Texans for 10 games? Or would that still count if he were traded to another team.

The idea of Duke Johnson with Giants is exciting. I would like to see some team use him more. I think he is a good player.
Kind of reminds me of the Henry situation the last few years. With the exception that frustratingly Duke already produced for an entire season when he was the man. It's very odd. I wonder if there are coachability issues that we aren't hearing about that are limiting his usage. I mean he is a Hurricane after all ... 😆

Assume they'd just deactivate him and release in offseason. Not saying they'll do this at all. Again, it's puzzling to just change mindset on a guy that quick but they do have so little draft capital and incentive to keep a better pick. 

Fair to wonder what his future is there. All his guaranteed money is up after this season. The guy is owed a lot of $$ for a RB next year ($4.1 mil) and the following year ($5.15 mil). Just can't imagine them paying that.

Really have to wonder why they even went out and acquired him to give him so little work.

This is pure speculation here..............

Let us all go back to the occasional reports of him being a "malcontent" in the Browns organization. The early words were he was "always yapping for a bigger share of work".

Then in the later Browns years he started #####ing when Chubb was brought in to be the clear workhorse, even though it took him a bit before he was truly the "go-to guy".

And, then again we heard of him #####ing and asking to be traded, and the rumors were he was becoming more and more vocal about it in the offseason, and he ultimately landed here.

Cue the LAMAR MILLER season ender injury.   We hadn't heard much about Duke being vocal or anything, but then CARLOS HYDE was signed.  Even then many here were stating Hyde was just a guy, average at best etc. etc.

Now look.  The reports of how "Hyde looks great",  "looks like a workman like back"..... (I'm paraphrasing here a bit, working from a foggy memory, but I do remember reports coming out about how they liked Hyde almost straight away)

Where does this leave Duke?  In almost exactly the same scenario. He did in fact go from a "possible contender" of an organization to another "possible contender" in the Texans.

But yet again, he was likely promised a big (or bigg-ER role) role, only to see Hyde signed, and his role has pretty much evaporated into thin air.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm betting after the Hyde acquisition,  he is #####ing yet again behind the scenes, and the Texans have soured on it.  This certainly seems like a possible explanation.

Let's face it, many of us here have been high on Duke at times, and a number of posters here were on the "Free Duke Johnson" train when he was stuck in the bad end of a committee.

We as fantasy players, aren't always tuned in as to just how much of a locker room cancer some of these guys can be. Its possible he has been a nightmare to deal with behind the scenes, and we are only hearing bits and pieces of it.

Regardless of whether or not you agree, something is going on.  He #####ed his way out of one organization, found a new home, and now his current role has vanished like Houdini.

It wouldn't surprise me if he is gone from the Texans soon, and almost certainly at the end of the season. The fact that the Texans are "working out other backs" is surprising, but in retrospect, I can see it.

If this guy never plays another down in the NFL after this season, I wouldn't be shocked.  Is it likely?  Probably not, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

TZM

That is quite a bit of supposition but I can't come up with a better explanation.   I am just wondering how long I should waste a roster spot on him.   Three weeks doesn't seem long enough but there are other guys on the WW I could roll the dice on too.

Is this guy the biggest jerk ever or something? Does he smell bad? Teams will literally bring in any scrub off the street before even giving Duke one full game to show what he can do. Mind blowing 

Godsbrother said:
That is quite a bit of supposition but I can't come up with a better explanation.   I am just wondering how long I should waste a roster spot on him.   Three weeks doesn't seem long enough but there are other guys on the WW I could roll the dice on too.
I'd cut him in redraft. Hold in dynasty. 

I don't want to eat crow, but I may start plucking feathers very soon.  Hyde is leading the touch count 41 to 23, but the snap count is virtually identical at 96 to 97.  Where are all these receptions I have been waiting for?

I don't want to eat crow, but I may start plucking feathers very soon.  Hyde is leading the touch count 41 to 23, but the snap count is virtually identical at 96 to 97.  Where are all these receptions I have been waiting for?
The flaw was thinking that HOU would start passing to the back more now that they have a very good receiving back. This is a downfield passing team and they just don't look to the back much.  

The flaw was thinking that HOU would start passing to the back more now that they have a very good receiving back. This is a downfield passing team and they just don't look to the back much.  
Athletic QB's tend not to dump it off. That being said I was expecting a lot more from Duke. I thought this offense was going to be much more explosive. It's still early and I think Duke will become more fantasy relevant at some point. Hyde always starts off hot and then tanks. I they there will be better game scripts ahead as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread