What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Duke? Ha!

More like a Baron. A barren Baron.

At least DJ shouldn't have any problem reclaiming his bell-cow status upon return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke Johnson rushed nine times for 37 yards, hauling in 3-of-4 targets for 43 yards and one touchdown reception in Houston's Week 12 win against the Lions.

Johnson hauled in a 33-yard touchdown to salvage his fantasy day, but the real takeaway is that he has yet to surpass 54 rushing yards in three starts for David Johnson (concussion, IR) and merely out-touched C.J. Prosise 12-6 against Detroit. The latter was also used over Duke inside the 10-yard line Thursday, scoring Houston's first touchdown — a receiving score — of the game. Suddenly lacking a stranglehold of both the carries and targets among this backfield, Johnson has dipped to fringe-RB2 status for the rest of the year. It's also possible David Johnson returns in Week 13 against the Colts.

- Rotoworld
Really confusing usage... they came into the game determined to pass the rock. This isn't a team that will #EstablishTheRun and they don't run block well, but you'd think this was the game to use him considering Detroit hemorrhages yards against the run.

How much will Prosise get tomorrow, a third of the action?  It seems like Duke doesn't produce a lot when the job is given to him.

I had to pick up Duke out of desperation. No way I feel good about starting him. 

Is David Johnson expected to be out for just week 14 or longer?

I had to pick up Duke out of desperation. No way I feel good about starting him. 

Is David Johnson expected to be out for just week 14 or longer?
How I understood it is if he leaves the team to go back home(which he did), then he automatically goes into the COVID protocol for 7 days (?) and cannot rejoin until he passes a test.  This was from Chicago radio.

It’s Duke or Engram for me in dynasty playoffs. I don’t think the game will come down to 1 play,  but I’m struggling with this decision. We have 6 flex so I can truly play either with no other lineup ramifications. 

Luckily my opponent started Cam (4.4) and Harris (6) so it doesn’t feel desperate. Would still be nice to make the right call. Very tempting to go Engram with Jones back, but I worry about him tweaking that hammy again. 

feels like a coin flip. 

It’s Duke or Engram for me in dynasty playoffs. I don’t think the game will come down to 1 play,  but I’m struggling with this decision. We have 6 flex so I can truly play either with no other lineup ramifications. 

Luckily my opponent started Cam (4.4) and Harris (6) so it doesn’t feel desperate. Would still be nice to make the right call. Very tempting to go Engram with Jones back, but I worry about him tweaking that hammy again. 

feels like a coin flip. 
I'd probably go engram. Duke bombed 2 of his 3 starts when David was out before, and the only one he didn't was against the Lions, who are possibly the best matchup a RB can have.

I'd probably go engram. Duke bombed 2 of his 3 starts when David was out before, and the only one he didn't was against the Lions, who are possibly the best matchup a RB can have.
That’s how I have it set at the moment.

only think that has me tempted is that this is a different Texans offense with no Fuller, Cooks questionable & Coutee with a knee issue (full practice tho) 

Duke could be a higher priority in the passing game. tempting. 

I'm a Duke apologist and think that on the right team with the right scheme he still has 2-3 years of RB2/flex production. That said, I would have to be bottom of the barrel to be considering him at RB2/flex. 

I'm a Duke apologist and think that on the right team with the right scheme he still has 2-3 years of RB2/flex production. That said, I would have to be bottom of the barrel to be considering him at RB2/flex. 
I agree.  I’m deciding between Duke, Mike Davis and Swift today. 

Speaking of bottom of the barrel, I'm down to Duke, DeAndre Washington, Jamaal Williams, or Chase Edmonds (or other similar WW fodder).
I'd roll the dice on Washington or Chase (Chase for sure if ppr). With Washington, just hope for 60/1 day. Seems reasonable. Chase is no brainer in ppr. Even with Drake he is capable of RB1 days.

Aaaaand now Cooks is OUT

I see that as bad for Duke. Houston just doesn’t have enough weapons.

Duke could have a monster ceiling if things break right but his floor is nonexistent if they smother him. 

imma go Engram. 

Duke Johnson rushed eight times for 26 yards and caught two targets for 53 yards in the Texans' Week 14 loss to the Bears. 

Partially because of the offensive line, the Texans have turned into the worst rushing offense in the NFL this season. Johnson isn't helping either. Most of his runs ended in a cloud of dust near the line of scrimmage, and he lost touches to Buddy Howell in garbage time with the Bears winning by 29 points. Johnson isn't a starting-caliber player and is more of a fantasy RB3 than RB2 when David Johnson misses. Things will not be easier in Indianapolis in Week 15.

- Rotoworld
I mean if you started him as a flex in Standard you got 7.9 FP. You'll take that.

Duke Johnson (ankle) did not practice Thursday. 

This is a downgrade for Johnson, who got in a limited practice on Wednesday. Without a limited Friday practice, he could sit this week against the Colts. Meanwhile, David Johnson is practicing in full after being removed from the reserve/COVID-19 list and could see significant volume if Duke is sidelined. 

RELATED: 

David Johnson

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Dec 17, 2020, 4:40 PM ET

Duke Johnson (neck) remained sidelined on Thursday. 

All signs point toward Johnson missing another game against the Bengals, burnishing David Johnson's RB2 appeal after he exploded for 11 receptions in Week 15. Now 27 and in the midst of a consistently disappointing season, Duke's Dynasty league light is dimming. 

Dec 24, 2020, 4:27 PM ET

Duke Johnson (neck) is out for Week 16 against the Bengals.

With Duke Johnson out last week, David Johnson caught 10 passes for 106 yards as a near every-down player. That will be the case once again, vaulting the veteran into the upside RB2 mix. It's possible that Duke Johnson's season is over with only two games remaining. C.J. Prosise will be the No. 2 back.

RELATED: 

David Johnson

SOURCE: Texans PR on Twitter

Dec 25, 2020, 6:15 PM ET

Texans released RB Duke Johnson. 

The move saves the Texans around $5 million in cap space for 2021. Johnson played in 27 games for Houston and rushed for 645 yards and three rushing scores. An excellent pass catcher, Johnson reeled in 72 balls for 659 receiving yards and four receiving touchdowns during his two seasons with the Texans. Johnson was relegated to a situational back in the Houston offense, seeing double digit carries just three times in two years. He averaged a mere 3.59 targets per contest in 27 games with the Texans, much to the frustration of Duke Johnson truthers everywhere. Johnson didn't stand much chance of making the 2021 roster with Houston entering full rebuild mode. Johnson, who will be 28 in September, should catch on with a team in need of an experienced third down back. 

Similar for me. Duke of Hurl  :X
I mean, he's dead money at this point, but let's say he goes to a team who actually uses a 3rd down receiving back and gets ~60 receptions. Just give me flex value FFS so I can move him in a package! 

It's incredible Watson maintained his level of play in HOU - that team is were fantasy assets go to die. They NEVER used Duke correctly in his entire tenure there. 

Unlikely to matter at all but he has signed with the Jags practice squad. With ETN and Tavon Austin done for the year, they might be looking for a pass catching RB/WR hybrid. If there was a landing spot that could maybe work out for Duke, this is it. 

ETA: Sorry, Tavon is out at least 3 games but not necessarily the whole season. 

need a thread title update @Biabreakable

Duke Johnson rushed 22 times for 107 yards and two touchdowns in the Dolphins' Week 15 win over the Jets, adding a 20-yard reception. 

With Myles Gaskin apparently lacking stamina following his recent activation from the COVID-19 list, Johnson was the Dolphins' clear-cut lead rusher. Each of the 20-carry, 100-yard rushing and two-touchdown performances were the first of his seven-year career. Simply astounding, and a measure of "what the Jets can do for you." Not that the yardage was simply handed to Johnson. Typecast as a third-down back for his entire NFL life despite being an excellent between-the-tackles runner in college, Johnson was grinding out power yardage. He refused to be denied on his red-zone touchdown carries of six and one yards. It was the most impressive rushing performance by a Dolphins back all season, one that will undoubtedly keep Johnson in the mix for Week 16 vs. the Saints. New Orleans maintains a top-notch run defense, while Gaskin figures to be more involved than he was today, rendering Johnson a shaky FLEX despite today's production.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Dolphins signed Duke Johnson to the team's active roster. 

The move was a foregone conclusion following Johnson's Week 15 blowup performance against the Jets. Operating as Miami's lead back, Johnson ran for 107 yards and two touchdowns and caught a 20-yard pass. It was a rare good day for Duke Johnson truthers. Clearly better than Myles Gaskin -- one of the league's least efficient rushers -- Johnson has a chance to solidify himself as Miami's lead back in Week 16 against the Saints. He was the Dolphins' highest-graded player by Pro Football Focus in Week 15. There's always a chance Gaskin's usage will be ramped up a week after coming off the COVID-19 list, making Johnson more of an iffy flex play. Gaskin's workhorse role is clearly a thing of the past though.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Dolphins co-offensive coordinator Eric Studesville said the team will continue with a running back competition in Week 16. 

"All those guys are going to play and participate in the game plan," Studesville said when asked about the team's game plan headed into Week 16 against the Saints. It's not exactly a surprise after Duke Johnson came off the team's practice squad and had the game of his pro career against the Jets in Week 15, rushing for 107 yard and two touchdowns in the Dolphins' victory. CBS commentators said during the Dolphins-Jets game that Miami coaches weren't sure Myles Gaskin could handle a full workload after coming off the COVID-19 list 24 hours before game time. Maybe we'll see his reps increase in Week 16 after seeing ten carries to Johnson's 22 attempts against New York. Both Miami backs are borderline flex options against the Saints since neither of them is likely to serve as a workhorse. 

RELATED: 

Myles Gaskin

, Salvon Ahmed

SOURCE: David Furones on Twitter 

Dec 21, 2021, 10:09 AM ET

@Biabreakable could we have a thread title update please?

hope you are well….seems like you’re around a little less these days? miss your posts.
Done.

Man was Dukes performance out of nowhere although its something I think he has always been capable of if given the opportunity.

The Vikings are a hot mess right now and I have been traveling a lot lately so yeah not keeping up with things as much lately. I am usually more active here during the offseason in general. While the season is in progress its more about keeping up with what is happening than prognosticating. 

Users who are viewing this thread