Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Duke Johnson RB Jaguars practice squad

Duke Johnson rushed nine times for 37 yards, hauling in 3-of-4 targets for 43 yards and one touchdown reception in Houston's Week 12 win against the Lions.

Johnson hauled in a 33-yard touchdown to salvage his fantasy day, but the real takeaway is that he has yet to surpass 54 rushing yards in three starts for David Johnson (concussion, IR) and merely out-touched C.J. Prosise 12-6 against Detroit. The latter was also used over Duke inside the 10-yard line Thursday, scoring Houston's first touchdown — a receiving score — of the game. Suddenly lacking a stranglehold of both the carries and targets among this backfield, Johnson has dipped to fringe-RB2 status for the rest of the year. It's also possible David Johnson returns in Week 13 against the Colts.

- Rotoworld

Really confusing usage... they came into the game determined to pass the rock. This isn't a team that will #EstablishTheRun and they don't run block well, but you'd think this was the game to use him considering Detroit hemorrhages yards against the run.

Edited by The Frankman

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Max55 said:

I had to pick up Duke out of desperation. No way I feel good about starting him. 

Is David Johnson expected to be out for just week 14 or longer?

How I understood it is if he leaves the team to go back home(which he did), then he automatically goes into the COVID protocol for 7 days (?) and cannot rejoin until he passes a test.  This was from Chicago radio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s Duke or Engram for me in dynasty playoffs. I don’t think the game will come down to 1 play,  but I’m struggling with this decision. We have 6 flex so I can truly play either with no other lineup ramifications. 

Luckily my opponent started Cam (4.4) and Harris (6) so it doesn’t feel desperate. Would still be nice to make the right call. Very tempting to go Engram with Jones back, but I worry about him tweaking that hammy again. 

feels like a coin flip. 

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

It’s Duke or Engram for me in dynasty playoffs. I don’t think the game will come down to 1 play,  but I’m struggling with this decision. We have 6 flex so I can truly play either with no other lineup ramifications. 

Luckily my opponent started Cam (4.4) and Harris (6) so it doesn’t feel desperate. Would still be nice to make the right call. Very tempting to go Engram with Jones back, but I worry about him tweaking that hammy again. 

feels like a coin flip. 

I'd probably go engram. Duke bombed 2 of his 3 starts when David was out before, and the only one he didn't was against the Lions, who are possibly the best matchup a RB can have.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I'd probably go engram. Duke bombed 2 of his 3 starts when David was out before, and the only one he didn't was against the Lions, who are possibly the best matchup a RB can have.

That’s how I have it set at the moment.

only think that has me tempted is that this is a different Texans offense with no Fuller, Cooks questionable & Coutee with a knee issue (full practice tho) 

Duke could be a higher priority in the passing game. tempting. 

Just now, tombonneau said:

I'm a Duke apologist and think that on the right team with the right scheme he still has 2-3 years of RB2/flex production. That said, I would have to be bottom of the barrel to be considering him at RB2/flex. 

I agree.  I’m deciding between Duke, Mike Davis and Swift today. 

Good or bad for Duke (or no impact)?

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/sundayupdate/

HOU - WR Brandin Cooks Not Expected To Play

Summary: Ian Rapoport reported, "More on #Texans-#Bears: Houston WR Brandin Cooks, dealing with foot and neck issues, is not expected to play today, source said. Barring a significant late improvement, they’ll be down a weapon."

28 minutes ago, Polish Hammer said:

Speaking of bottom of the barrel, I'm down to Duke, DeAndre Washington, Jamaal Williams, or Chase Edmonds (or other similar WW fodder).

I'd roll the dice on Washington or Chase (Chase for sure if ppr). With Washington, just hope for 60/1 day. Seems reasonable. Chase is no brainer in ppr. Even with Drake he is capable of RB1 days.

Duke Johnson rushed eight times for 26 yards and caught two targets for 53 yards in the Texans' Week 14 loss to the Bears. 

Partially because of the offensive line, the Texans have turned into the worst rushing offense in the NFL this season. Johnson isn't helping either. Most of his runs ended in a cloud of dust near the line of scrimmage, and he lost touches to Buddy Howell in garbage time with the Bears winning by 29 points. Johnson isn't a starting-caliber player and is more of a fantasy RB3 than RB2 when David Johnson misses. Things will not be easier in Indianapolis in Week 15.

- Rotoworld

I mean if you started him as a flex in Standard you got 7.9 FP. You'll take that.

Duke Johnson (ankle) did not practice Thursday. 

This is a downgrade for Johnson, who got in a limited practice on Wednesday. Without a limited Friday practice, he could sit this week against the Colts. Meanwhile, David Johnson is practicing in full after being removed from the reserve/COVID-19 list and could see significant volume if Duke is sidelined. 

RELATED: 

David Johnson

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Dec 17, 2020, 4:40 PM ET

Duke Johnson (neck) remained sidelined on Thursday. 

All signs point toward Johnson missing another game against the Bengals, burnishing David Johnson's RB2 appeal after he exploded for 11 receptions in Week 15. Now 27 and in the midst of a consistently disappointing season, Duke's Dynasty league light is dimming. 

Dec 24, 2020, 4:27 PM ET

Duke Johnson (neck) is out for Week 16 against the Bengals.

With Duke Johnson out last week, David Johnson caught 10 passes for 106 yards as a near every-down player. That will be the case once again, vaulting the veteran into the upside RB2 mix. It's possible that Duke Johnson's season is over with only two games remaining. C.J. Prosise will be the No. 2 back.

RELATED: 

David Johnson

SOURCE: Texans PR on Twitter

Dec 25, 2020, 6:15 PM ET

• 2 months later...

Texans released RB Duke Johnson. 

The move saves the Texans around $5 million in cap space for 2021. Johnson played in 27 games for Houston and rushed for 645 yards and three rushing scores. An excellent pass catcher, Johnson reeled in 72 balls for 659 receiving yards and four receiving touchdowns during his two seasons with the Texans. Johnson was relegated to a situational back in the Houston offense, seeing double digit carries just three times in two years. He averaged a mere 3.59 targets per contest in 27 games with the Texans, much to the frustration of Duke Johnson truthers everywhere. Johnson didn't stand much chance of making the 2021 roster with Houston entering full rebuild mode. Johnson, who will be 28 in September, should catch on with a team in need of an experienced third down back. 

1 hour ago, Capella said:

He’ll still be drafted in round 7 in my fantasy league 

I just hope he goes anywhere that will actually use him like CLE didn’t so I can recoup that long ago spent 3rd round pick. :doh: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zamboni said:

Similar for me. Duke of Hurl :X

I mean, he's dead money at this point, but let's say he goes to a team who actually uses a 3rd down receiving back and gets ~60 receptions. Just give me flex value FFS so I can move him in a package! 

It's incredible Watson maintained his level of play in HOU - that team is were fantasy assets go to die. They NEVER used Duke correctly in his entire tenure there. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Time is probably running out.  He might be a good fit in NE.  They love their pass catching RBs.

I almost said that, but then I remembered they don’t have a QB & they already have White. 

6 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Yeah, but unless Brady is coming back I’m not sure it matters. 

They are going to have a new QB...no clue who but unless it is a high school QB it will be an upgrade from Cam.

Edited by Boston
  • Laughing 1

• 6 months later...

Unlikely to matter at all but he has signed with the Jags practice squad. With ETN and Tavon Austin done for the year, they might be looking for a pass catching RB/WR hybrid. If there was a landing spot that could maybe work out for Duke, this is it. 

ETA: Sorry, Tavon is out at least 3 games but not necessarily the whole season. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Practice squad my butt. He is better than

Hyde

and Dare Ogunbawuhnahgunnaworkhereanymore.

I would like to think so but there also has to be a reason he didn't end up on a team until the last possible moment

• Biabreakable changed the title to Duke Johnson RB Jaguars practice squad