What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

So I hear that Zidane guy might be signing with the Fire ...

Copy/Paste from Memphis Foundry:

WHERE DID THIS THREAD GO!?!one!1!!

Hi y'all -- sorry for the trouble.

I've been researching how to make our forums faster and more responsive over the last month. The performance of our forums, though never particularly speedy, had become uniformly slow with occasional unpredictable and excruciating delays. So I asked the folks at Invision Power, the forum software's authors, to dig in and make some recommendations on how we can speed the site up.

They recommended a number of infrastructure and settings changes which we've implemented in this upgrade. More performance upgrades will be coming when Invision releases their 4.0 version later this year. But their most significant recommendation -- more important than all the others combined -- was that we needed to archive and reopen the board's largest, most trafficked, and most loved threads.

There are fifteen threads that account for over 845,000 of the board's 13,000,000 posts and they've been viewed nearly 13,000,000 times. These threads have grown so large and they are loaded so often that their performance impact on the board can't be properly normalized. This is one of those fifteen threads.

For now, we've moved these threads to a new forum called Archived Topics to isolate them from the most heavily-trafficked forums -- the FFA and Shark Pool -- and preserved them so that they cannot be replied to, edited, or deleted. The original threads remain searchable, and I've added a link below to the original version of this topic. Over the next couple of weeks, these threads will be converted into archived threads by the Invision Board aoftware and moved back to their original forum. After archiving, they will remain searchable and browsable.

If you are the Original Poster of one of these threads, I encourage you to start a new topic to be version 2.0 of your thread and PM me with the link. I will merge this post into your new topic and leave it pinned for a few weeks.

Peace.
------

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/305522-official-soccer-discussion-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, this is the first time in thr last 15 years where I haven't spent the entire month of February salivating over mock drafts, 40 times and other meaningless crap. I seriously know nothing about the NFL draft and find myself scrolling past NFL related stiff on Twitter to get to the soccer stuff.

Soccer rules. Sad I missed it for 30+ years of my sporting life.

Very excited for today's games, especially Man City vs Barca. Hate that Yaya isn't playing but it still should be a great game.

Always excited to see Juve play with that Pogba, Pirlo, and Vidal midfield.

I can't remember, does Fox display the score of the other game? I'm hoping to watch both back to back, so hopefully they won't ruin the Juve/Dortmund game.

Very excited for today's games, especially Man City vs Barca. Hate that Yaya isn't playing but it still should be a great game.

Always excited to see Juve play with that Pogba, Pirlo, and Vidal midfield.

I can't remember, does Fox display the score of the other game? I'm hoping to watch both back to back, so hopefully they won't ruin the Juve/Dortmund game.
I know they show all the scores at half, but i don't remember them being on during the game.

Conflict in my house today between my Man City (and front-runner) loving daughter and my Neymar-fan son. The boy is in his Neymar Brazil Jersey, and the girl is pissed that she does not have a Man City Jersey. I kinda promised to buy her one as a result... she had me flip through the squad pictures on my FotMob app and she settled on Aguero because he has "the cutest hair". Girls :rolleyes:

P.S. any eBay links to cheap EPL kids kits?!?

Conflict in my house today between my Man City (and front-runner) loving daughter and my Neymar-fan son. The boy is in his Neymar Brazil Jersey, and the girl is pissed that she does not have a Man City Jersey. I kinda promised to buy her one as a result... she had me flip through the squad pictures on my FotMob app and she settled on Aguero because he has "the cutest hair". Girls :rolleyes:

I think Cletius has bought some of the Chinese knock-offs for Chelsea. I'd bet they have City as well. Otherwise, I can try to raise the Scorchy Signal, as I know he's bought all kinds of City stuff.

I think Cletius has bought some of the Chinese knock-offs for Chelsea. I'd bet they have City as well. Otherwise, I can try to raise the Scorchy Signal, as I know he's bought all kinds of City stuff.
I had good luck at http://www.gogoalshop.com/this past Christmas - got my son a perfect Schweinie with all the special world cup badges, addidas tags, etc. Its a beautiful jersey for $30 shipped. It is definitely a buy at your own risk situation at that website, but I thought worth the risk and it worked for me - surely a $100+ jersey at my local soccer shop. Another issue is they did not have kids sizes. I got the smallest jersey they had and its still just a bit too big for my 10 year old, but should be fine by summer. I've had mixed luck on ebay. I got an Oscar Chelsea last winter that is great quality, but the Neymar Brazil was pretty weak quality - both around $30 I think.

I had good luck at http://www.gogoalshop.com/this past Christmas - got my son a perfect Schweinie with all the special world cup badges, addidas tags, etc. Its a beautiful jersey for $30 shipped. It is definitely a buy at your own risk situation at that website, but I thought worth the risk and it worked for me - surely a $100+ jersey at my local soccer shop. Another issue is they did not have kids sizes. I got the smallest jersey they had and its still just a bit too big for my 10 year old, but should be fine by summer. I've had mixed luck on ebay. I got an Oscar Chelsea last winter that is great quality, but the Neymar Brazil was pretty weak quality - both around $30 I think.
The Neymar Brazil kit I got for my son was an eBay buy... and it was a great one. Unfortunately that seller is no longer on eBay. Sounds like I may have gotten lucky with that one. The girl is only 7, so an adult large may be pushing it, but I will check it out.

This is the last CL match cycle until Scrappygang comes, which means its my last cycle to binge on Manhattans. Vermouth stores have been topped off.
RHEnho has a good ring to it.

I told my family that we were naming our first Scooby (sounded good paired with my last name).. my neices believed until he was about a year.

and don't forget- when you shake the kid, make sure you go in a counter-clockwise direction. and then drink your manhattans.

The Neymar Brazil kit I got for my son was an eBay buy... and it was a great one. Unfortunately that seller is no longer on eBay. Sounds like I may have gotten lucky with that one. The girl is only 7, so an adult large may be pushing it, but I will check it out.
I've found that the Ebay sellers come and go pretty regularly. I think its the same people, just trying to avoid the trademark police. I've had pretty good luck over the years, but have been burned a couple times. One odd thing with the Chinese sellers is they're very quick to refund money to keep customers happy. In one case, the shirt was a bit too small, I emailed and they sent me a second one for no charge, so we had two and gave the smaller one to a friend. The Oscar shirt I bought last winter was a bit too big. I messaged the seller about an exchange. He couldn't make anything smaller, so refunded $20 of the $30 I paid, completely unsolicited.

I've been running some scenarios with 12 games remaining, and I think top 2 is settled, with Chelsea edging out ManC, Arsenal finishing 3rd, and the 4th spot between Liverpool, ManU and Spurs.

Fixtures and possible results:

Liverpool:

3/1/2015 Manchester City (h) DRAW
3/4/2015 Burnley (h) WIN
3/16/2015 Swansea (a) DRAW - Swansea seems to be a tough opponent away right now.
3/22/2015 Manchester United (h) DRAW
4/4/2015 Arsenal (a) DRAW
4/11/2015 Newcastle (h) WIN
4/18/2015 Hull (a) WIN
4/25/2015 West Bromwich (a) WIN
5/2/2015 Queens Park Rangers (h) WIN
5/9/2015 Chelsea (a) LOSS
5/16/2015 Crystal Palace (h) WIN
5/24/2015 Stoke (a) WIN

Tough ask to draw City at home, United at home and Arsenal away, but I feel it's at least possible. Would have them finish 7-4-1, 2.08PPG

Manchester United:
2/28/2015 Sunderland (h) WIN
3/4/2015 Newcastle (a) WIN
3/15/2015 Tottenham (h) DRAW
3/22/2015 Liverpool (a) DRAW
4/4/2015 Aston Villa (h) WIN
4/11/2015 Manchester City (h) LOSS - not sure, this could very well be a draw as well.
4/18/2015 Chelsea (a) LOSS - could be draw
4/25/2015 Everton (a) DRAW - Toffees are a tough out at Goodison
5/2/2015 West Bromwich (h) WIN
5/9/2015 Crystal Palace (a) WIN - Palace could surprise at home
5/16/2015 Arsenal (h) DRAW
5/24/2015 Hull (a) WIN

April fixtures should decide CL for United. 6-4-2 finish, 1.83PPG

Tottenham:
3/4/2015 Swansea (h) DRAW - could very well be a win
3/7/2015 Queens Park Rangers (a) WIN
3/15/2015 Manchester United (a) DRAW
3/21/2015 Leicester (h) WIN
4/4/2015 Burnley (a) WIN
4/11/2015 Aston Villa (h) WIN
4/18/2015 Newcastle (a) WIN
4/25/2015 Southampton (a) DRAW
5/2/2015 Manchester City (h) LOSS
5/9/2015 Stoke (a) WIN
5/16/2015 Hull (h) WIN
5/24/2015 Everton (a) DRAW

I see Swans and Southampton games as key here... 7-4-1 finish, 2.08PPG
I actually expect some missteps along the way, but it doesn't seem too far fetched that we'll have 3 teams fighting for one CL spot and one EL spot right up until the last week, with the losers missing out on Europa all together (unless Spurs or Liverpool win the EL).

Spurs could get in Europa by beating Chelsea on Sunday, and if Chelsea win, then I think it opens up 6th place to a Europa spot, with the 3rd Europa spot still dependent on the League cup finalists.

Spurs could get in Europa by beating Chelsea on Sunday, and if Chelsea win, then I think it opens up 6th place to a Europa spot, with the 3rd Europa spot still dependent on the League cup finalists.
That's interesting... I had no idea.

I was wondering how the EL spots work, considering Spurs and Everton are in this year, with 4 CL slots as well.

ETA: This is from last year, but I would assume the same is true this year?

UEFA Europa LeagueGenerally speaking there are three UEFA Europa League places given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria: winning the FA Cup, winning the Capital One Cup and finishing fifth in the Barclays Premier League.

However, if the Capital One Cup winners finish in the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the next-highest ranked team in the Barclays Premier League (nominally the sixth-placed team).

If the FA Cup winners finish in the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the runners-up. However, if the FA Cup winners finish outside the top four, their UEFA Europa League place goes to the next-highest ranked team in the Barclays Premier League (nominally the seventh-placed team).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread