What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (9 Viewers)

Anyone else watch that Leeds game yesterday? I was amazed at how few yellow cards were given in that game, guys were getting absolutely destroyed up and down the pitch and the ref called almost nothing. Also, post game highlights included some Fulham footage, I had completely forgot that they were even a team thanks to Khan.

Anyone else watch that Leeds game yesterday? I was amazed at how few yellow cards were given in that game, guys were getting absolutely destroyed up and down the pitch and the ref called almost nothing. Also, post game highlights included some Fulham footage, I had completely forgot that they were even a team thanks to Khan.
All I saw was that banana-nut-muffin crazy save the boro keeper made. 

Azpelicueta just looked lost all game, thank god for Pedro's speed covering for him. I'm not sure that there is a worse player on the ball than Cahill, his passes are 95% on target to the other team.

Azpelicueta just looked lost all game, thank god for Pedro's speed covering for him. I'm not sure that there is a worse player on the ball than Cahill, his passes are 95% on target to the other team.
I sure did like that Baba/Hazard hook up on the other side though...

FA meeting to discuss (1) cash bonuses for teams advancing deep into Europa League and (2) alternatives to draw replays in Cup matches to help eliminate winter fixture congestion.

I've never quite understood the need for the Capitol One Cup myself. If they dumped that, I wouldn't miss it even a little bit. Heck, they could also pare down PL to 18 clubs (like Bundesliga) and I'd be ok with things.

:nontraditionalist:

Jaysus said:
I sure did like that Baba/Hazard hook up on the other side though...

Hopefully Baba will get more time from here on out. I was disappointed with Hazard. 1-0 at home isn't out of the question. Great goal by Cavani, and some great saves by both gks. Great game overall imo, very fun.  Deshutes fresh squeezed ipa did me in for the day. A poor choice on a Tuesday afternoon, but how could I resist? 

This China money is really doing something in big time Euro football.  Very interesting development that will push up prices for proven talent.  A smart Euro team will cash in on their stars that are aging, bringing in as many fresh South Americans as they can to try and find a diamond that they can then sell to China after a 8 years of winning titles.

This China money is really doing something in big time Euro football.  Very interesting development that will push up prices for proven talent.  A smart Euro team will cash in on their stars that are aging, bringing in as many fresh South Americans as they can to try and find a diamond that they can then sell to China after a 8 years of winning titles.
An interesting outlook. Another thought to ponder -- what is the ceiling for revenues when a Chinese first division, brimming with recognizable international talent, has the potential to reach a billion pairs of eyeballs within its own borders?

An interesting outlook. Another thought to ponder -- what is the ceiling for revenues when a Chinese first division, brimming with recognizable international talent, has the potential to reach a billion pairs of eyeballs within its own borders?
I am just curious what happens after this batch of splash signings cash in and leave with a (potentially) poor opinion of life in china?  If they hate every second of being there besides the paycheck, and make that known, how is China going to get future splash signings?  

I mean they just sold their TV rights for 250 million dollars a year, and most of these big name signings are going to a select few teams.  I won't be shocked if this is flash in the pan-ish.  There's no way this is sustainable.

It looks like Falcao is deciding between either moving to Columbus or to a team in China.  I can't see any way the Crew could match the salary so it would have to come to down to other factors.

The four pots for this summer's Copa America Centenario draw were announced on Wednesday.

One team from each pot will be selected into each of four groups during Sunday's draw in New York.

POTS announced, per ESPN (I'll try this as copied... will edit if formatting is ####ed):

Pot 1 -- which features seeded sides United States, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina -- was given to the host and the most decorated teams from their respective federations.

Pot 2  (Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Uruguay) consists of the top four remaining CONMEBOL teams based on FIFA's Dec. 2015 rankings.

Pot 3 houses the non-seeded CONCACAF squads, which are Costa Rica, Haiti, Jamaica and Panama.

i

2015 champion Chile are in Pot 2 along with Colombia, Ecuador and Uruguay.
While Pot 4 is made up of the bottom four CONMEBOL teams based on FIFA's December rankings. Those teams are Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela.

The 16-nation tournament that will be played at 10 venues in the U.S. from June 3-26. 

The United States will play in the opener at Santa Clara, California. The final is at East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Odd story floating around today that the MLS owners are asking Minnesota to change their name when they enter the league as they don't want so many "Uniteds" in the league

There are two reasons this is strange

1) Minnesota has had their name for a few years and is being supposedly asked to change it while Atlanta is not and Atlanta just chose the name recently

2) United actually has some meaning to Minnesota as the owner of Minnesota made his money as the Chairman and CEO of UnitedHealth Group

Now if they can just kneecap :fro:  all our ManU supporter here can be happy.
Evidently he has an injury too and may be out a few weeks.  Hamstring strain.  Don't wish injuries on people but not having him avail is a nice blessing.

Tough for Rooney, probably good for United :oldunsure:
Agreed.  Rooney has forgotten he has a left foot and wont pull the trigger on shots (Heck he wouldnt even stick it out for a flick/defelction).  Although he has looked better, without at least a willingness to use both feet and with as poor a touch as he has had, he isnt complete and back to being ROONEY.  The issue is Martial has been so good down the left I would hate to move him up top although I think eventually he settles in up there.

Very curious to see the lineup for tonights Europa clash with all the injuries.  Opportunity for Perreria, Love, Memphis, Keane to all prove themselves if called upon.

Europa today, FA Cup Monday, Europa next Thursday.

Real put on a clinic against Roma today IMO.  Maybe CR7 has fallen off a bit, but that was a class goal.
The better team won, yes.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a "clinic" though...did you watch the game?  First time in 5 years RM failed to register a shot on goal in 1st half, & CR's goal took a severe deflection off of Florenzi.  Roma played compact, looking to hit on the counter with the two Egyptians, & came close on a few occasions, before Jese's well taken goal.  Roma absolutely have to invest in a true RB & LB this summer.

I watched the game while working so I wasn't giving it my full attention.  I saw a lot of the Real midfield bossing and while RM didn't get a shot on goal, they looked by far the more dangerous team.  It didn't look like that Ronaldo goal took a deflection, just a wicked bend to the ball, plus that legit turn to open up space and get the shot off.  The RM defense didn't look too troubled by Roma IMO even if some of the Roma players have some skill on the ball.

But like I said, I wasn't giving it my full attention.

Users who are viewing this thread