What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

I watched the game while working so I wasn't giving it my full attention.  I saw a lot of the Real midfield bossing and while RM didn't get a shot on goal, they looked by far the more dangerous team.  It didn't look like that Ronaldo goal took a deflection, just a wicked bend to the ball, plus that legit turn to open up space and get the shot off.  The RM defense didn't look too troubled by Roma IMO even if some of the Roma players have some skill on the ball.

But like I said, I wasn't giving it my full attention.

I agree with Kafka here. RM controlled possession, but didn't look to threaten the goal too much. Felt like both teams had the same amount of quality opportunities- Roma's came from smash-and-grabs... but the opportunities were just as good, even if they weren't necessarily played as prettily through the middle as RM's. If anything, Roma suffered from some mis-steps on their counters that ruined or stalled really clear opportunities with guys slashing through into space at goal.

and CRo's goal was off a deflection.

wise strategy by LVG here to lose to a Danish team so they concentrate on avoiding relegation.
wont help.  They will get knocked out of the FA Cup on Monday by Shrewsbury town, the Europa farce will end at OT next Thursday....  and then they can take their race to the bottom back to England.

How sad is this.  They have talent, but no heart, no desire.  Martial is the only one doing anything of substance.  Although Romero did have some great de gea type saves

Last edited by a moderator:
FC Midtjylland - no game in two months, one win in ten before that, and lost 9-1 on aggregate to Napoli in the group stages. Go and beat Man Utd 2-1.

Add insult to injury?

FC Midtjylland - no game in two months, one win in ten before that, and lost 9-1 on aggregate to Napoli in the group stages. Go and beat Man Utd 2-1.

Add insult to injury?
They can only beat PL clubs?! We shall heretofore refer to it as "The Midtjylland Tjynx."

They can only beat PL clubs?! We shall heretofore refer to it as "The Midtjylland Tjynx."
latest

unfortunately, I can't "quote" other replies, because now my Firefox thing crashes everyone i try...so, that being said, @ Z Machine; do you ever give anything your full attention, you being busy "jetsetting" & "papa-bearing" all the time...you're one smooth cat.  I feel ya...like Peter Fonda so eloquently stated..."I'm hip about time"...you're doing "you're own thing, in your own time"...& I respect that.

OptaJohan ‏@OptaJohan  1h1 hour ago

3 - Teams to concede more than 1 goal in a European away game against Midtjylland since 2008: Bangor City, The New Saints, Man United.

I actually thought "The New Saints" referred to Soton - but it turns out they are a Welsh League powerhouse.

ORLANDO, Fla. – Feb. 18, 2016 – Orlando City SC today announced that the Club has acquired former AC Milan and Italian National Team midfielder Antonio Nocerino from D.C. United in exchange for Targeted Allocation Money and General Allocation Money. Nocerino will be added to the Orlando City SC roster upon receipt of his P-1 Visa and ITC.“Antonio is a player that we really admire, who can be effective in a number of different positions, which gives us great depth,” said Founder and President Phil Rawlins. “His vast experience in the Serie A will be invaluable for our team as we aim to make the MLS playoffs in 2016.”The 30-year-old provides a wealth of experience to City’s roster, having played in over 350 professional games since 2003 for various teams such as 31-time Italian Serie-A champions Juventus and 18-time Serie A champions AC Milan.

I agree with Kafka here. RM controlled possession, but didn't look to threaten the goal too much. Felt like both teams had the same amount of quality opportunities- Roma's came from smash-and-grabs... but the opportunities were just as good, even if they weren't necessarily played as prettily through the middle as RM's. If anything, Roma suffered from some mis-steps on their counters that ruined or stalled really clear opportunities with guys slashing through into space at goal.

and CRo's goal was off a deflection.
Only big Atlético games it seems.  I barely get to watch the ####ty la liga games (like a 1-0 win against getafe) as it is.

I was thinking that I need to take a few afternoons off to watch the CL games like I used to.  

It's only going to get worse from here...

gianmarco said:
Lots of talk locally about MLS in St Louis now that the Rams left.  I wonder if that could really happen anytime soon.
The talk started almost seconds after the NFL made the announcement.

There is still a soft spot in many peopls hearts for St Louis since it is viewed as the one area of the country that supported soccer when no else did.

But in the end, St Louis needs an dedicated ownership group, and a viable stadium plan.  If they get those in place with in the next 12 months they could get into the league around 2020 imo, depending on how long the stadium takes.

This week they announced a group of local businessmen who have joined together to try and get this done.  Whether this is the start of building the ownership group or not, I don't know.

The group includes St. Louis Cardinals President Bill DeWitt III, World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh, prominent hotelier Bob O’Loughlin, UniGroup President Jim Powers, St. Louis Blues CEO Chris Zimmerman and former NFL task force co-chairman Dave Peacock.

I wonder how much allocation money the FIRE! can get for him in two years?

Anyone figured out how to change fonts? FIRE! just isn't right if it's not in Comic Sans.

This happened several weeks ago.  (I live/work in OKC area.)

Its weird because OKC already has another club, OKC Energy that's in USL, affiliated w/ Sporting KC, and managed by former SKC GK Jimmy Nielsen.  I think OKC could be a long-term option for an MLS team, but not sure now that they have two competing minor league teams.  Also the Energy have a dedicated (remodeled) stadium and have pretty good fan support for a USL team.  All that being said, OKC Rayo is advertising like crazy locally for the upcoming season.

I thought Iwobi was impressive, this was the first time I saw him play for Arsenal.  He appears to have very good instincts on the ball...Campbell had a few inspired moments as well, especially a superbly timed tackle where he tracked all the way ball to his own 18 yd box.  Not a striker's tackle at all.

Based on the lineups, Chelsea appears to be taking this match a little more seriously than City.  I guess an FA Cup is all a mid table club can hope for.

Wish the site search worked even a little bit.

Would like to revisit Willian > Hazard, but I can't find it (and not even sure we had it here).

Thanks RHE.  Still don't think that's as crazy as most of you, but I probably wouldn't argue it at this point either.
This was specifically in the Brazil side where Neymar has already almost scored 50 goals in 60 games or something.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger admirer of Willian than me.  I talked him up when he wasn't adding goals to his game, because his workrate is immense.  So I certainly get the argument.  This year, where Hazard has mostly played like ####, and Willian has scored, Willian has been far better.  He's been better offensively, and obviously it isn't even close defensively.

But Neymar is another step up from Hazard.  He scores or assists so regularly, that particularly in a Brazil side with absolute #### for strikers, I thought it was kind of a crazy argument.  In a first choice Brazil side, Willian might keep a very good player on the bench.  Maybe you start him over Douglas Costa.  Maybe you play him at CAM instead of Coutinho or Oscar.  It kind of depends on the system.  Because Dunga plays two holding mids, Willian's work rate might not be as essential in that setup.

So Spurs lost. Hate that it was to Palace, but I'm glad they can concentrate on the league. 

The entire second half I was hoping for two goals or none so they didn't have to play again. 

La liga was over a few games ago. No one is catching Barça. The only question is how many points they end up with at the end.  Oh, and who ends up 4th. 

Atleti was impotent on attack. Couldn't break down their defense. I'm not sure why Griezmann was was pulled so early except maybe to keep him fresh for CL mid week.  It surely hurts that they have no other goal scoring threat than him.

Users who are viewing this thread