What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Sevilla looked outclassed in the first half.  Totally different game in the second.  Where Sevilla had no edge, they are razor sharp now.

Liverpool look shocked.  Like they can't understand why Sevilla didn't lie down, or why they didn't play in the second half like they did in the first.

I like how Brad says the 20 minutes in this half have resulted in 3 goals for Sevilla. 70 minutes is 25 minutes into the second half, no?

Whomever is running AFC Wimbledon's Twitter account must have gotten too wrapped up in the action to post.  Just one update in past 17 min.

Game halted due to power outage affecting stadium lights

ETA:  this wouldn't happen in Basel

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in here live down in Orange County? I'm going to be down there this weekend and I'm trying to decide on where to watch the FA cup final at. Kilarney's in HB is currently what I'm thinking unless anyone knows of a better place.

Three years straight of Spanish double European champions.
Has any other league done this even two years in a row? 
Here's the closest things I can find.
74 Bayern won European Cup, and Magdeburg won the Cup Winners Cup
75 Bayern won European Cup and Mönchengladbach won the UEFA Cup

89 AC Milan won European Cup and Napoli won the UEFA Cup
90 AC Milan won European Cup, Sampdoria won Cup Winners Cup, and Juventus won UEFA Cup

93 Parma won Cup Winners Cup and Juventus won EUFA Cup
94 AC Milan won Champions League and Inter won UEFA Cup

There are years where a country won more than one cup, but these are the only mulit year runs.

The European Cup became the Champions League in 1992.
The Cup Winners Cup went away after 1999.
The UEFA Cup became Europa Leage after 2011.
:nerd:

The European Cup became the Champions League in 1992.
The Cup Winners Cup went away after 1999.
The UEFA Cup became Europa Leage after 2011.
:nerd:

Great stats!

just a quick note for historical purposes: The Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup both were combined and turned into the Europa League.  That is why every domestic cup winner who does not qualify for the Champions League gets in the Europa League.

I was looking at the pots for next season's CL draw and I think that Spurs are kinda screwed.  Since the three top Spanish teams cannot be in the same group, nor can Spurs be in the same group as City, Arsenal, or LC.

Pot 1: (Atlético or Real), Barça, Bayern, Juve, Benfica, PSG, (CSKA or Rostov), LC

Pot 2: (Atlético or Real), Sevilla, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Porto, Napoli, Arsenal, City

Pot 3: Villarreal, Basel, Donetsk, Dynamo Kiev, Lyon, Ajax, PSV, Spurs

Pot 4: A bunch of possibilities

So, I think that Spurs have a pretty good chance to land a tough Pot 1 team (only the Russian team is mediocre, as Benfica gave a good run to Bayern last year), plus a 50% chance to land a very tough Pot 2 opponent.  Either of Real or Atleti is not a good draw, nor Dortmund or Napoli.  Can't draw Arsenal or City.  Tough to be a Pot 3 team, although Atlético was a Pot 3 team this season.

Spanish teams certainly benefit from the not being in the same Group as another Spanish team.

Yeah, Spurs are going to have to rely on a winnable Pot 2 team to advance to the knockout stage.

Rumors are starting to heat up that they will sign Batshuayi in the next week or so - Marseille still has a game to play, but hopefully the deal can get wrapped up soon.  Spurs will still need more reinforcements ...

I was looking at the pots for next season's CL draw and I think that Spurs are kinda screwed.  Since the three top Spanish teams cannot be in the same group, nor can Spurs be in the same group as City, Arsenal, or LC.

Pot 1: (Atlético or Real), Barça, Bayern, Juve, Benfica, PSG, (CSKA or Rostov), LC

Pot 2: (Atlético or Real), Sevilla, Dortmund, Leverkusen, Porto, Napoli, Arsenal, City

So, I think that Spurs have a pretty good chance to land a tough Pot 1 team (only the Russian team is mediocre, as Benfica gave a good run to Bayern last year), plus a 50% chance to land a very tough Pot 2 opponent.  Either of Real or Atleti is not a good draw, nor Dortmund or Napoli.  Can't draw Arsenal or City.  Tough to be a Pot 3 team, although Atlético was a Pot 3 team this season.

Spanish teams certainly benefit from the not being in the same Group as another Spanish team.
Roma have to play in the preliminary playoff... Which could be Man City(for the 3rd straight year), but not sure which Spanish team it could potentially be...would it be the 4th place team?

The reverse is also true though.  Any group that lands Spurs is going to feel very unlucky since they are arguably the best from Pot 3.  Spurs could very easily determine a group of death.

Users who are viewing this thread