What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Andrea Pirlo is unimpressed. At an MLS promotional event in Manhattan just days before his side’s 7-0 shellacking at the hands of the New York Red Bulls, the 37-year-old Italian midfielder had some strong words about the level of American soccer, especially noting the focus on physicality over technique.

Speaking to Reuters, Pirlo discussed his newly adopted home, "It’s a very hard league to play in. It’s very physical, there’s a lot of running. So there is a lot of physical work and to me, in my mind, too little play.”

Elaborating further on his thoughts about the differences of between the American game and his experiences in Europe, the former World Cup winner spoke about early development and the gap between the two continents.

"What I’m talking about is actually a system or culture. I don’t mean that the level of technical skills are low. I just mean there is a cultural void that needs to be filled.”

Using Barcelona’s youth programs as an example, the NYCFC man further outlined his thoughts on development.

“They pick them and they train them in much more than just running. They train them in stopping the ball. Here that doesn’t happen. So when a young man becomes a professional in the United States he still has some gaps that need to be filled when playing on the field.”

While his words on the state of American soccer are certainly intriguing, Pirlo’s thoughts on running is the real highlight. Never known for his bustling style, the majestic midfielder is part of perhaps the most immobile midfield in all of MLS, alongside the Artist Formerly Known As Frank Lampard whose biggest contribution thus far in a NYCFC shirt has been a strong wrist flourish while signing autographs.

At 37 years of age, Pirlo’s dislike for running is neither surprising, nor a new phenomena. At Juventus, flanked by possibly the most dynamic player in the world, Paul Pogba, the quadruple-lunged Arturo Vidal and consummate team player Claudio Marchisio, the maestro’s running typically consisted of finding the ball wherever he deemed it necessary, leaving much of the busy work to those best suited to it. Going back even further, Pirlo had twin workhorses Massimo Ambrosini and Gennaro Gattuso to handle his light work.

With his legs all but gone and in a far more physical league, Pirlo’s struggle with MLS’s style was always going to be an issue.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/2016/05/23/andrea-pirlo-says-mls-is-too-much-physical-work-and-too-little-play

:coffee:

This is probably a stupid question but what is the relative importance of club vs. international responsibility?  The Union could have lost Blake for at least 3 games but negotiated for him to stay longer before reporting to Jamaica.  I know the player can refuse a call up, but does the club have any leverage in this situation or are they required to release a player?

Conte dropping the bomb on MLS.  Which is weird since he was on record as supporting Giovinco's move to MLS last year. 
There is a lot of odd stuff in this story.  Twellman has been reporting that all his sources have told him that this was some personal beef between Gio and Conte and had nothing to do with MLS and is now just blaming MLS maybe to deflect the attention?

I have no issues if Conte thinks the league won't properly prepare his players.  He has to have the choice as head coach.

But he does lose the plot for me on consistency.   Why did he take and play Gio in the Euro qualifiers well after Gio had been playing at TFC?  Why support the move to TFC in the beginning?

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/01/24/italy-head-coach-antonio-conte-supports-sebastian-giovincos-move-to-mls/

This is probably a stupid question but what is the relative importance of club vs. international responsibility?  The Union could have lost Blake for at least 3 games but negotiated for him to stay longer before reporting to Jamaica.  I know the player can refuse a call up, but does the club have any leverage in this situation or are they required to release a player?
If the international game falls on a Fifa international window, the clubs are required to release the player.

The only leverage the club has is to simply tell the player if you leave, you open up a chance for another player.  This tactic has been used on some US players while playing abroad.

The only leverage the club has is to simply tell the player if you leave, you open up a chance for another player.  This tactic has been used on some US players while playing abroad.
At this point, I think, they're going to name that tactic after John Brooks.  Guy's playing a major international tournament and the coach is acting like he's missing preseason to go windsurfing or something.

At this point, I think, they're going to name that tactic after John Brooks.  Guy's playing a major international tournament and the coach is acting like he's missing preseason to go windsurfing or something.
I have noticed this happening more in Germany than anywhere else.  Fab and Chandler both have had some sketchy moments too where the reasons they stayed home were odd.

I remember both Arena and Bradley every year would travel and speak to each club coach overseas to try and build a relationship and understand how the coaches wanted their American international players to be treated to try and limit any potential playing time damage.

I have noticed this happening more in Germany than anywhere else.  Fab and Chandler both have had some sketchy moments too where the reasons they stayed home were odd.

I remember both Arena and Bradley every year would travel and speak to each club coach overseas to try and build a relationship and understand how the coaches wanted their American international players to be treated to try and limit any potential playing time damage.
Does JK do this?  I'd expect him to get more respect in Germany, but it seems we still have the issues.

Does JK do this?  I'd expect him to get more respect in Germany, but it seems we still have the issues.
I have not read if he has or has not in terms of the actual travel.  We definitely have had issues while JK has been in charge.  I am sure he talks though at least on phone.  Herzog does a lot of travelling so he might be the face to face guy.

I think it might be more of a location issue than a respect issue.  These coaches hate seeing their players travel so far for international games.  Getting our players released for Euro based friendlies is easy but coaches have to cringe hearing about games in LA or Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot of odd stuff in this story.  Twellman has been reporting that all his sources have told him that this was some personal beef between Gio and Conte and had nothing to do with MLS and is now just blaming MLS maybe to deflect the attention?

I have no issues if Conte thinks the league won't properly prepare his players.  He has to have the choice as head coach.

But he does lose the plot for me on consistency.   Why did he take and play Gio in the Euro qualifiers well after Gio had been playing at TFC?  Why support the move to TFC in the beginning?

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/01/24/italy-head-coach-antonio-conte-supports-sebastian-giovincos-move-to-mls/
No surprise, but many are taking the single line from his comments, translated to English, and interpreting that as Conte "slamming" MLS. The main point he made is that he sent people here who performed a careful technical evaluation of the players and made other choices based on his evaluation. Yes, the one line seems harsh taken out of context, but I would say it was not his main point and indeed the overall gist of his comments is the exact opposite of how many are playing it. 

If the international game falls on a Fifa international window, the clubs are required to release the player.

Thank you for the explanation.  What about something like the Africa Cup of Nations?  Is that an official FIFA window or do the clubs have more control?

Thank you for the explanation.  What about something like the Africa Cup of Nations?  Is that an official FIFA window or do the clubs have more control?
I think it is.  It shows up on the Fifa calendar for 2017.  I don't remember a player being blocked from release so it must be official.

I think there are youth tournaments on the calendar in which teams are not required for release.

No surprise, but many are taking the single line from his comments, translated to English, and interpreting that as Conte "slamming" MLS. The main point he made is that he sent people here who performed a careful technical evaluation of the players and made other choices based on his evaluation. Yes, the one line seems harsh taken out of context, but I would say it was not his main point and indeed the overall gist of his comments is the exact opposite of how many are playing it. 
I see what you are saying but the line is so strong and so punitive, there is something more to this.  Why even mention that line?  He could have simply just said, "we evaluated their performances and we did not feel they were good enough".

Most people would have agreed with him on Pirlo and maybe argued with him on Giovinco, just is done on every roster announcement since the beginning of time.  But adding the extra spice with the "slam" makes the whole story into more than it should be imo.

And if he really felt this way, why not tell Giovinco last year instead of publicly supporting the move?

Here is the translation for those that missed it (bolding is mine)

============================================

“I spoke to Andrea, I needed to hear from him and we sent people to the U.S.,” Conte said. “Nothing was left to chance. We evaluated [Pirlo] and Giovinco, it’s normal that if you choose to go and play MLS then you can pay the consequences in footballing terms.

“We evaluated them technically, we didn’t leave anything to chance. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, we went everywhere to have clear and precise ideas. I picked the 30 who I think will give me the most guarantees.”

Last edited by a moderator:
So Mourinho to United? Not sure whether I love it or hate it.

More importantly, I really didnt want to look for a new avatar but I guess I'll start taking suggestions  :unsure:  

I see what you are saying but the line is so strong and so punitive, there is something more to this.  Why even mention that line?  He could have simply just said, "we evaluated their performances and we did not feel they were good enough".

Most people would have agreed with him on Pirlo and maybe argued with him on Giovinco, just is done on every roster announcement since the beginning of time.  But adding the extra spice with the "slam" makes the whole story into more than it should be imo.

And if he really felt this way, why not tell Giovinco last year instead of publicly supporting the move?

Here is the translation for those that missed it (bolding is mine)

============================================

“I spoke to Andrea, I needed to hear from him and we sent people to the U.S.,” Conte said. “Nothing was left to chance. We evaluated [Pirlo] and Giovinco, it’s normal that if you choose to go and play MLS then you can pay the consequences in footballing terms.

“We evaluated them technically, we didn’t leave anything to chance. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, we went everywhere to have clear and precise ideas. I picked the 30 who I think will give me the most guarantees.”
I just really don't see it that way, and I'd like to see the original Italian before I would get at all worked up about it. I think his original meaning of the bolded could just as well be, "its normal that if you leave a top league to play in a secondary league, your technical skills may suffer".  We've heard the same from many coaches over the years.

I think they get a special going away gift, on top of this year's revenue.
Yeah, the parachute payments are nice, especially for teams like Burnley who kept their wage bill pretty low during their season at the top.  Villa has a lot of underperforming players on big contracts who will be hard to move.  They still have to be considered favorites to bounce back up but the Championship is a very competitive league

He got two with a stacked Chelsea team before sending them 10th 

United are stacked, with :fro:  
I wanted Jose when SAF left, wasn't real sure about Moyes and thought catching lightning in a bottle twice seemed unlikely - now, nobody expects him to stick around long term but if he comes in and wins (which he's done everywhere) then it's worth it.  Anything is better than what we had the last couple of years.

Maybe he'll be energized to win the Europa League :mellow:  

Yeah, the parachute payments are nice, especially for teams like Burnley who kept their wage bill pretty low during their season at the top.  Villa has a lot of underperforming players on big contracts who will be hard to move.  They still have to be considered favorites to bounce back up but the Championship is a very competitive league
Villa has plenty of book income for FFP breakeven purposes to spend this summer if the new owner is committed and has the means.

I wanted Jose when SAF left, wasn't real sure about Moyes and thought catching lightning in a bottle twice seemed unlikely - now, nobody expects him to stick around long term but if he comes in and wins (which he's done everywhere) then it's worth it.  Anything is better than what we had the last couple of years.

Maybe he'll be energized to win the Europa League :mellow:  
You can be almost certain he'll win titles, his teams will score lots of goals and defend well, and he'll always be entertaining.

So how does Xhaka (Khan? RHE?) fit into Arsenal's squad? Another MF?
A complete holding midfielder.  Aggressive tackler and very good passing range.  Achilles heel is that he tends to rack up cards.  My guess is the preferred CM partnership will be Xhaka and Ramsey.  When Ramsey played with Coquelin, he had to stay back and take on a lot of the passing.  This would allow Ramsey to do his Frank Lampard thing while still having cover and passing from the withdrawn position. 

My "Scared of Xhaka" joke during the World Cup drew crickets. 

Users who are viewing this thread