What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

If One Ronald Koeman is going to get out of his Soton contract a year early, it won't be for the likes of Everton. (let's see if I continue to be the worst prognosticator in footy world)

I will prognosticate with you.  Obviously the new money at Everton is somewhat of an enticement, but until they prove they can actually attract players with it, its hard to think of the Toffees as anything but a lateral move for Koeman.  If he feels he's done what he can with Soton, the logical places to move would be either Serie A or the Bundesliga where the "block" at the top is less settled after the first or second team.  Otherwise, if he keeps the Saints in Europe, maybe he waits for an opening at Arsenal or somewhere.  Wenger won't be around forever.

I will prognosticate with you.  Obviously the new money at Everton is somewhat of an enticement, but until they prove they can actually attract players with it, its hard to think of the Toffees as anything but a lateral move for Koeman.  If he feels he's done what he can with Soton, the logical places to move would be either Serie A or the Bundesliga where the "block" at the top is less settled after the first or second team.  Otherwise, if he keeps the Saints in Europe, maybe he waits for an opening at Arsenal or somewhere.  Wenger won't be around forever.
Are we sure he's not Dracula?

At this point, I think, they're going to name that tactic after John Brooks.  Guy's playing a major international tournament and the coach is acting like he's missing preseason to go windsurfing or something.

His coach was super pissed one time because he traveled with an injury and didn't even play. That coach is not a Klinsman fan. 

ETA: Here's something on that

http://myinforms.com/en-us/a/28762425-hertha-berlin-unhappy-with-us-soccer-handling-of-brooks-injury/

Hertha Berlin sporting director Michael Preetz has hit out as U.S. Soccer's treatment of recently-injured center back John Brooks.

Brooks picked up a knock in Hertha's win over Ingolstadt on March 19, and departed for international duty the next day.

Prior to the USA's 2-0 loss at Guatemala on Friday night, U.S. Soccer announced that Brooks was forced to return to Berlin with what it called a "left knee contusion." 

Speaking to Kicker, Preetz said he felt U.S. Soccer's treatment of Brooks' injury was not adequate. 

"It was all a bit curious and certainly not ideal," Preetz said. "John boarded the plane without any acute problems and returns injured. It raises a few questions."

Preetz did admit Hertha may have underestimated the severity of Brooks' injury, but still expressed his frustration at a perceived lack of attention to the knee issue. 

"It might have made sense to keep him here in Berlin for one more day to see how things developed," Preetz said. "Instead, he now has 30 flight hours in his bones. And the U.S. association keeps him on site for four, five days without any real examination."

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody else notice the interview Pirlo gave essentially slamming MLS? 

which, doubt it's coincidence, happens right when Conte gives him and Giovinco the snub for the Eye-talians, also crediting MLS as being the major reason.

which, doubt it's coincidence, happens right when Conte gives him and Giovinco the snub for the Eye-talians, also crediting MLS as being the major reason.
The interview posted here?  About MLS relying too much on physicality/speed and less on technical skills?

Seems like a fair observation, not necessarily a slam.

Some of what Pirlo said was true though.

But it also does keep up with the tradition of players who come here and struggle will complain about the league while others who come here and perform well generally say positive things.  I guess it is human nature.

It also does not help that Pirlo is playing on a field that could not be less suited to his talents.  He has absolutely no room on the postage stamp to do any of his passing magic.

I said "essentially".

it's the same backhanded diss that Mexico and the rest of the world have given us for years- regardless of it's truth. hey- you're really good at running and stuff. supposed diplomats for the league, IMO, should be a bit more... diplomatic.

but the point was that it came on the heels of Conte nuking MLS 

You can't disappear for a month and come back to talk about old stuff

What's next, talk about how Leicester might win the league?

what ended up happening with my GOAT team? just did a search, but well... "search". I have to assume I won the whole shebang.

Giovinco had a simple and decent response.  He needs to keep his head up considering Conte won't be coach in a couple of months.  You never know how a new coach will feel and no need to burn any bridges.

Honestly though, I don't know how much more he can realistically improve if he stays.  He is not only currently the best player in MLS, I think he may be the best player ever in the league.

==============

"I was upset. I need to keep improving so I can find my place back on the national team," Giovinco said. "I've said before, the league is continuing to grow and it's a beautiful league."

Giovinco had a simple and decent response.  He needs to keep his head up considering Conte won't be coach in a couple of months.  You never know how a new coach will feel and no need to burn any bridges.

Honestly though, I don't know how much more he can realistically improve if he stays.  He is not only currently the best player in MLS, I think he may be the best player ever in the league.

==============

"I was upset. I need to keep improving so I can find my place back on the national team," Giovinco said. "I've said before, the league is continuing to grow and it's a beautiful league."
*diplomacy*

Any chance Arsenal sells Wilshere this summer?  Beyond the obvious fitness and smoking issues, he doesn't want to play wide and isn't needed paying deeper with Xhaka, Cazorla, Ramsey, Coq and Elneny available. Best case is he serves as understudy for Ozil and plays in the league cup and the occasional rainy Wednesday in Stoke.

Any chance Arsenal sells Wilshere this summer?  Beyond the obvious fitness and smoking issues, he doesn't want to play wide and isn't needed paying deeper with Xhaka, Cazorla, Ramsey, Coq and Elneny available. Best case is he serves as understudy for Ozil and plays in the league cup and the occasional rainy Wednesday in Stoke.
Edited just now by Tom Hagen Apparently the language filter omits Britsh slang terms for cigarettes.

I'm sure Jack has issues there too.

I think Jack stays.  Xhaka, Coq, and Elneny are in competition for the holding mid role.  There might be times when a combination of both play, but it will likely be rare.

That leaves Santi, Ramsey, and Wilshere in competition for the other CM role, but also remember that Theo and Ox are both apparently available to other teams and Welbeck's injury will have him out until December it seems.  Assuming Sanchez is a lock in one of the wide positions, the other wide position is likely to essentially be a second #10.  Either Santi on the left or Jack on the right.  Most games, I'd assume two of Ramsey, Santi, and Wilshere will play.  I suppose Iwobi is also in play, but I expect his minutes to be dependent on injuries. 

JOSE MOURINHO'S Manchester United move has reportedly been delayed because former club Chelsea still own the rights to his name.

The Portuguese is set to be declared successor to Louis van Gaal after the Dutchman failed to guide the club to Champions League football this season.

And while Mourinho has agreed a move to Old Trafford, the official announcement has been delayed by legal wrangling.

Central to that is the claim Chelsea still "own" Mourinho's name.

The European Union Intellectual Property Office database shows the name "Jose Mourinho" is the intellectual property of Chelsea Football Club Limited.

The Portuguese's name was initially registered under his first Chelsea spell 

Chelsea are listed as the owners of "Jose Mourinho" on the open-to-all website www.euipo.europa.eu

The application was filed in March 2005, when the ex-Real boss was in his first season as Blues manager and on course to winning the League.

Mourinho's name is trademarked under five classes of commercial goods, as diverse as boot polish, windscreen cleaning liquids, walking sticks and "underpants".

:lmao:

So, apparently this has kind of been misreported.  Apparently Mourinho and United do have to iron out stuff like image rights and other IP issues (Mourinho personally endorses Jaguar and some watch brand that are different obviously from United's sponsors like Chevy).  Chelsea's trademarks have been found, and some guy tweeted about it, but there's no evidence that those trademarks are what is slowing down the move.  After all, they didn't keep Jose from going to Inter or Real. 

JOSE MOURINHO'S Manchester United move has reportedly been delayed because former club Chelsea still own the rights to his name.

The Portuguese is set to be declared successor to Louis van Gaal after the Dutchman failed to guide the club to Champions League football this season.

And while Mourinho has agreed a move to Old Trafford, the official announcement has been delayed by legal wrangling.

Central to that is the claim Chelsea still "own" Mourinho's name.

The European Union Intellectual Property Office database shows the name "Jose Mourinho" is the intellectual property of Chelsea Football Club Limited.

The Portuguese's name was initially registered under his first Chelsea spell 

Chelsea are listed as the owners of "Jose Mourinho" on the open-to-all website www.euipo.europa.eu

The application was filed in March 2005, when the ex-Real boss was in his first season as Blues manager and on course to winning the League.

Mourinho's name is trademarked under five classes of commercial goods, as diverse as boot polish, windscreen cleaning liquids, walking sticks and "underpants".

So, apparently this has kind of been misreported.  Apparently Mourinho and United do have to iron out stuff like image rights and other IP issues (Mourinho personally endorses Jaguar and some watch brand that are different obviously from United's sponsors like Chevy).  Chelsea's trademarks have been found, and some guy tweeted about it, but there's no evidence that those trademarks are what is slowing down the move.  After all, they didn't keep Jose from going to Inter or Real. 
I don't think the Eye-talians or RM would let a legal roadblock get in their way.

Now, I am off to find Mourinho Underroos...

It is stone cold amazing what a difference a team that can hold and play with the ball makes.  Even Bedoya looks useful when the players around him can string some passes together.

And that left side, when Nagbe drifted out to support Fab and Pulisic, looked like the start of something useful.  I don't remember ever watching a match for such an extended time where the US looked like it had honest-to-god skilled soccer players at almost every position.  Zusi's the only guy tonight that I'd really prefer not to see on the field in a big match.  

Even Yedlin, who isn't as skilled, brings serious athleticism and pace to the game (and he smoked his defender with a first step to get off the cross that eventually led to the knockdown by Wood).

And I don't know if Birnbaum is the answer next to Brooks (who is most definitely the answer IMO), but he had some nice balls out of the back himself tonight.

All in all they looked really really good once Nagbe and Pulisic came on.

Twellman's lost the plot though if he thinks the Copa should be about figuring out who can play for the WC.  This is a major tournament in the US where only two or maybe three teams are dramatically better than the US.  They should be playing to win games.

I think Jack stays.  Xhaka, Coq, and Elneny are in competition for the holding mid role.  There might be times when a combination of both play, but it will likely be rare.

That leaves Santi, Ramsey, and Wilshere in competition for the other CM role, but also remember that Theo and Ox are both apparently available to other teams and Welbeck's injury will have him out until December it seems.  Assuming Sanchez is a lock in one of the wide positions, the other wide position is likely to essentially be a second #10.  Either Santi on the left or Jack on the right.  Most games, I'd assume two of Ramsey, Santi, and Wilshere will play.  I suppose Iwobi is also in play, but I expect his minutes to be dependent on injuries. 
:Gideonkicksrock: 

It is stone cold amazing what a difference a team that can hold and play with the ball makes.  Even Bedoya looks useful when the players around him can string some passes together.

And that left side, when Nagbe drifted out to support Fab and Pulisic, looked like the start of something useful.  I don't remember ever watching a match for such an extended time where the US looked like it had honest-to-god skilled soccer players at almost every position.  Zusi's the only guy tonight that I'd really prefer not to see on the field in a big match.  

Even Yedlin, who isn't as skilled, brings serious athleticism and pace to the game (and he smoked his defender with a first step to get off the cross that eventually led to the knockdown by Wood).

And I don't know if Birnbaum is the answer next to Brooks (who is most definitely the answer IMO), but he had some nice balls out of the back himself tonight.

All in all they looked really really good once Nagbe and Pulisic came on.

Twellman's lost the plot though if he thinks the Copa should be about figuring out who can play for the WC.  This is a major tournament in the US where only two or maybe three teams are dramatically better than the US.  They should be playing to win games.
:confused:   Brazil, Columbia, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Ecuador, and Mexico are all dramatically better than the US and Costa Rica most of the time looks better than us. Getting out of Group A is going to be tough enough even on our home soil.

Users who are viewing this thread