What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

This is impressive standing on its own but when you factor in they still have 5 home games left it is even more impressive.

===========================

FC Cincinnati@fccincinnati

With an attendance of 16,127, #FCCincy officially break the all-time @USL single season attendance record! #CINvNY
How many MLS teams are lower than that?  25%? 40%?

ETA:  4/20 are below that figure, and one is effectively tied.

ETA2:  MLS averaging over 21k with 20 teams in the league is really solid.  Not sure how the chicken/egg thing gets resolved in terms of more great players/higher TV revenue, so it might take a long time still, but the sky's the limit for MLS now IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many MLS teams are lower than that?  25%? 40%?

ETA:  4/20 are below that figure, and one is effectively tied.  
5 out of 20 if you use FC Cincy average(16,127 was a single game attendance, not their average which is higher than that single game).  It will probably finish up 4 out of 20 when all is said and done as MLS averages historically grow from this point to the end of the season.

they also blow away every NASL team.

ETA2:  MLS averaging over 21k with 20 teams in the league is really solid.  Not sure how the chicken/egg thing gets resolved in terms of more great players/higher TV revenue, so it might take a long time still, but the sky's the limit for MLS now IMO.
The fact that the days of wondering whether the league will survive or not are finally buried so that is a good thing and while I still expect some growth in the coming decade, I can't see them ever breaking into the top leagues revenue wise at least in my lifetime

While MLS has closed the gap SIGNIFICANTLY on 95% of the leagues in the world, the gap has actually increased between them and the top leagues revenue wise.

I'm so confused, but here's a real Chelsea point.  Kante is probably about as perfect player for the De Rossi role that one could find.  I won't be shocked if he's looked on as the best signing of the summer.  

I'm so confused, but here's a real Chelsea point.  Kante is probably about as perfect player for the De Rossi role that one could find.  I won't be shocked if he's looked on as the best signing of the summer.  
This idea that Kante is a risky signing seems absurd to me.  For one, he's not a one season wonder.  He did the exact same thing in Ligue 1 that he did for Leicester.  For another, it's not as if he's some tactical anachronism.  What tactical system doesn't have room for a defensive midfielder who can seemingly cover every blade of grass and lead the league in tackles and interceptions? 

I like Kante and he was good for Leicester, but I think there is a lot of hype surrounding him.  He was a virtual unknown before last season, and he played for a "once-in-a-lifetime" team that played in a very unusual way.  Then he went to France and got replaced by Sissoko.

Midfield is the area I struggle the most to understand, so I'm quite possibly dead wrong here.  But I just don't see him being the best signing of the summer.  

This idea that Kante is a risky signing seems absurd to me.  For one, he's not a one season wonder.  He did the exact same thing in Ligue 1 that he did for Leicester.  For another, it's not as if he's some tactical anachronism.  What tactical system doesn't have room for a defensive midfielder who can seemingly cover every blade of grass and lead the league in tackles and interceptions? 
The one slightly disappointing thing about Kante is that Chelsea thought they had that player in Matic, who was excellent in that role the prior season, and he just completely tanked. Matic's year-long poor form was second only to Hazard in the reasons for Chelsea's historic swan dive in the table. That doesn't affect my hopes/excitement for Kante - guarded excitement, but its there. He seems like a Conte player and I'm looking forward to watching him every week.  

I like Kante and he was good for Leicester, but I think there is a lot of hype surrounding him.  He was a virtual unknown before last season, and he played for a "once-in-a-lifetime" team that played in a very unusual way.  Then he went to France and got replaced by Sissoko.

Midfield is the area I struggle the most to understand, so I'm quite possibly dead wrong here.  But I just don't see him being the best signing of the summer.  
I don't know about "best signing of the summer" talk - that's fun message board stuff but not much more. Kante was clearly a great signing last summer, and LCFC nearly quadrupled their investment in less than a year so its pretty good business for them as well. Gundogan is the same age as was nearly 10mil cheaper for City. United did very well to get Ibra for free - that's hard to beat. Bayern signing Hummels and Sanches strikes me as a great window for an already-loaded team. Watching the Euros, I thought Umtiti seems perfect for Barca - plays the way they want their CBs to play and fills a need - and they got him on a great price as well. And don't overlook Hamburg getting Bobby Wood for just 3.5mil euros.

Man City trying to pry Toni Kroos away from Real Madrid for 50 million pounds, rumor is that RM may do the deal to free up money to snag Pogba from Jose's grasp.

Man City trying to pry Toni Kroos away from Real Madrid for 50 million pounds, rumor is that RM may do the deal to free up money to snag Pogba from Jose's grasp.
That would certainly tip the balance of power in Manchester.

Although then ManU would be free to offer 100M for the Welsh Xavi

Suddenly, Sissoko is now worth a staggering 35M pounds as Juve and Everton fight for his signature. Benefiting from a James Rodriguez-esque value increase due to stellar tournament play. What other players have seen such a dramatic increase in value after a few good games at a big tournament?

Suddenly, Sissoko is now worth a staggering 35M pounds as Juve and Everton fight for his signature. Benefiting from a James Rodriguez-esque value increase due to stellar tournament play. What other players have seen such a dramatic increase in value after a few good games at a big tournament?
Yedlin benefited a lot from his play at the WC- no way a Euro competing team like Spurs would have signed him straight out of Seattle without that.

oh... wait... I can't remember if Brolin was playing seriously before the WC- but IIRC, he parlayed a fantastic WC (94?) into a big-money move that allowed him to eat a lot.

anybody else keep thinking it was Pogba making those runs in the final v portugal and not Sissokho? I kept looking up and wondering how on earth he was playing like that, given... well.. the last few years.

I don't know about "best signing of the summer" talk - that's fun message board stuff but not much more. Kante was clearly a great signing last summer, and LCFC nearly quadrupled their investment in less than a year so its pretty good business for them as well. Gundogan is the same age as was nearly 10mil cheaper for City. United did very well to get Ibra for free - that's hard to beat. Bayern signing Hummels and Sanches strikes me as a great window for an already-loaded team. Watching the Euros, I thought Umtiti seems perfect for Barca - plays the way they want their CBs to play and fills a need - and they got him on a great price as well. And don't overlook Hamburg getting Bobby Wood for just 3.5mil euros.
Umtiti's passing during the Euros was very impressive.  He should fit in well

anybody else keep thinking it was Pogba making those runs in the final v portugal and not Sissokho? I kept looking up and wondering how on earth he was playing like that, given... well.. the last few years.
I did, except for the wondering part.  Was more why is Pogba constantly running down the right, isnt he supposed to be a central player?

The problem was Pogba didn't do enough bombing runs.  He was positioned too deep in the final, especially against a team without a huge attacking threat.  I thought France should have moved Griezmann :wub:  up in more of a free role and allowed Pogba to fill some of the space Antoine vacated.

I'm curious to see how Mourinho uses Pogba.  It would be a waste to make him into John Obi Pogs.

ETA:  In the RHE all-time tourney, I played Pogba in a narrow box-to-box role as part of a 5-3-2.  Both he and Gerrard to his right were given the freedom to attack.  We were unbeaten in the sim.

France had problems accommodating all their best players.  Griezmann was better centrally, but that forced Pogs into a withdrawn role (and kept Payet from cutting in as much).  Kante was eventually sacrificed because Pogba and Matuidi were already playing pretty deep.  And Sissoko was then doing most of the box to box stuff despite supposedly playing on the flanks. 

Deschamps gets credit for doing better with Griezmann when he moved him inside, but his midfield might have eventually been better with Griezmann just playing striker and letting Coman and Martial be more natural wingers.  Hard to know.  Having lots of talent presents its own complications. 

All we know is that France would have won if Benz had played.  :yes:

I thought Deschamps was slow to react in the final.  Les Bleus lined up like they were playing against Germany again.  They pressed a bit early but turned it down after CR went out.  They would have been better off playing like they did when they went a goal down against Ireland IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread