What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

MLS is out of their transfer window - so I don't think they can park him in NY.  But, I don't know that.

As far as I can tell, Hart is not ready to retire from international football, though after this summer, perhaps he should consider it - so I think he wants to find a full time gig in England.  There just are not many teams looking for a Keeper with his price tag, and wages.
Hart is just 29 and there isn't a ton of competition for the England #1 shirt.  Comedic incompetence is more of a job requirement for England GKs than the ability to play the ball out from the back.

MLS is out of their transfer window - so I don't think they can park him in NY.  But, I don't know that.

As far as I can tell, Hart is not ready to retire from international football, though after this summer, perhaps he should consider it - so I think he wants to find a full time gig in England.  There just are not many teams looking for a Keeper with his price tag, and wages.
Of course, just poking fun at the Lampard to NYCFC loaned to City not playing NY debacle.  

And hes only 29, cant be anywhere near wanting to give up on playing for England or in European leagues/Competitions.

Hart is just 29 and there isn't a ton of competition for the England #1 shirt.  Comedic incompetence is more of a job requirement for England GKs than the ability to play the ball out from the back.
Yeah - he does not need to play the ball out to start for Big Sam - but Sam does want to see him play for someone - which is why I think he ultimately lowers his sights from a top-tier team - none of whom want him - to a lower tier team where at least he can play.

Alexis Pratsides‏@alexispratsides

BREAKING: Winter Break set to be confirmed in England as the FA finally bows to pressure from collection of Premier League's top managers.

Well, this could be interesting.  I kind of liked the busy season around christmas, but I suppose it was inevitable.  

How long until MLS moves to the same basic schedule?
What happens to Boxing Day matches?

BREAKING: Winter Break set to be confirmed in England as the FA finally bows to pressure from collection of Premier League's top managers.

Well, this could be interesting.  I kind of liked the busy season around christmas, but I suppose it was inevitable.  

Glad to see them going to this but curious as to how it will affect the schedule.  

MLS wont, too much potential for snow/snowed out games.  Plus its MLS, they dont need to go to the international calendar and take time off for international duty or Open Cups.

City doesn't want to pay his wages while he is loaned out and I doubt any team will want to pay him at his current price tag....so he is now the new Victor Valdes

Removing one of the final excuses English teams have for recent failures in Europe.

True but neither is an obvious upgrade either
Right, but if Hart is not playing for someone, he will get dropped. So the onus is now on Hart to decide how to weigh money, prestige, and international career. He is unlikely to get all 3. 

As for his wages, I know City subsidized Adebayor's for a few years. You would think a loan, with City paying most of the wages makes the most sense - since he could not play against City, but would make his team stronger against City's competition

Interesting NYT piece on controversial Bundesliga parvenus RB Leipzig
Which of our 45 current soccer threads is most appropriate for further discussion about complications with the Bundesliga model? Because this crap is pretty interesting to me.

Sounds like Leipzig needs to open up its ownership ranks to meet the true spirit of the rules.

Edit to add that I'm pretty much a marxist where footy ownership is concerned. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Which of our 45 current soccer threads is most appropriate for further discussion about complications with the Bundesliga model? Because this crap is pretty interesting to me.

Sounds like Leipzig needs to open up its ownership ranks to meet the true spirit of the rules.
I'd be happy to discuss the topic in the Soaped Brazilian Buttcheek soccer thread if there's enough interest. I disagree that RB can simply change its membership numbers to be compliant with the spirit of 50+1, as Red Bull created the club and its ownership will always be everything to this club, at least as long as it exists in its current state. I also think the article headline significantly misstates the current feelings about RBL. To say the club "Isn’t Welcomed by All" is a massive understatement. As noted in the article and evident everywhere they go, RB Leipzig has quickly overtaken Hoffenheim as the most hated club in Germany. They are universally despised outside their own supporters, often to violent lengths (somewhat comically, if not pathetically so, imo). Personally, I think its a case of hypocritical self-righteousness on the part of German football fans, who are desperate to cling to the notion their weekend entertainment is something more than just that. What club in the history of world football is more closely associated with a corporate sponsorship than Bayer Leverkusen?  What about Wolfsburg? To pretend that Bayern Munich is anything other than a primarily commercial enterprise is laughable, with its deep relationships with Adidas and Allianz, each of which has an ownership stake in the club. Yet these clubs are all proudly accepted in the Bundesliga because of their rich history of economic dominance.

I've seen this before - this manufactured hatred, really no more than jealousy, masquerading as sentimental horse####. Supporters of the smaller clubs are jealous at having been leapfrogged so quickly, purely due to a massive cash infusion. Supporters of the larger clubs are outraged and threatened that a tiny club would deign to join their ranks overnight. Meanwhile, everyone complains the Bundesliga suffers from the dominance of one club, with no more than 3-4 more even in the same stratosphere, yet they show such hatred and disdain for new money?  I am pulling so hard for RB Leipzig this season - would love to see them storm to the top of that heap of pretension.

I'd be happy to discuss the topic in the Soaped Brazilian Buttcheek soccer thread if there's enough interest. I disagree that RB can simply change its membership numbers to be compliant with the spirit of 50+1, as Red Bull created the club and its ownership will always be everything to this club, at least as long as it exists in its current state. I also think the article headline significantly misstates the current feelings about RBL. To say the club "Isn’t Welcomed by All" is a massive understatement. As noted in the article and evident everywhere they go, RB Leipzig has quickly overtaken Hoffenheim as the most hated club in Germany. They are universally despised outside their own supporters, often to violent lengths (somewhat comically, if not pathetically so, imo). Personally, I think its a case of hypocritical self-righteousness on the part of German football fans, who are desperate to cling to the notion their weekend entertainment is something more than just that. What club in the history of world football is more closely associated with a corporate sponsorship than Bayer Leverkusen?  What about Wolfsburg? To pretend that Bayern Munich is anything other than a primarily commercial enterprise is laughable, with its deep relationships with Adidas and Allianz, each of which has an ownership stake in the club. Yet these clubs are all proudly accepted in the Bundesliga because of their rich history of economic dominance.

I've seen this before - this manufactured hatred, really no more than jealousy, masquerading as sentimental horse####. Supporters of the smaller clubs are jealous at having been leapfrogged so quickly, purely due to a massive cash infusion. Supporters of the larger clubs are outraged and threatened that a tiny club would deign to join their ranks overnight. Meanwhile, everyone complains the Bundesliga suffers from the dominance of one club, with no more than 3-4 more even in the same stratosphere, yet they show such hatred and disdain for new money?  I am pulling so hard for RB Leipzig this season - would love to see them storm to the top of that heap of pretension.
Chelsea fan, eh?

;)

You were probably writing this interesting screed while I was editing my prior post to remind everyone what a pinko I am. I'm a romantic and a purist, I want every club to be what its supporters deserve. Uh, well, I also want to imprison the owners and confiscate their clubs so I guess that isn't very romantic on my part.

MLS wont, too much potential for snow/snowed out games.  Plus its MLS, they dont need to go to the international calendar and take time off for international duty or Open Cups.
you would need at least a 3 month break for it to work in MLS and even then you are dangerously close to big snow storms in many of the northern cities on either end of that break.

So at best you would have to have a full 3 month break, following by a couple of weeks or more of games only in the Southern cities to avoid weather issue.  Some clubs won't see their team play at home for almost 4 months and at that point it really is not worth doing imo.

You were probably writing this interesting screed while I was editing my prior post to remind everyone what a pinko I am. I'm a romantic and a purist, I want every club to be what its supporters deserve. Uh, well, I also want to imprison the owners and confiscate their clubs so I guess that isn't very romantic on my part.
I'm a lifelong Packer fan and lived in Chicago for many years, where I rubbed elbows daily with Cubs fans. I'm sure I've attended well over 100 combined games between Lambeau, Wrigley and Soldier Field. I know all about the romanticism of supporting a lovable loser, a self-important fan base that thinks their ownership model, their stadium or the history of their club gives them a special experience or makes their fan experience somehow more important or more rich than others. I've loved nearly every minute of it win or lose, but I'm not about to piss on some other fan's experience or some other club's existence over some BS like this.

Of course I love 50+1 since it would have prevented the Franchise FC fiasco.  It can work for individual teams elsewhere (my Dons are closer to 99+1) but I don't think it's possible for any other big leagues to be retrofitted to the Bundesliga model.  The German fan ownership financials are much more complicated than a bunch of supporters framing their stock certificates above the bar.

As I understand it, 50+1 acts more like a floor than a ceiling, as there's nothing to prevent the ostensibly minority owners like Mateschitz and Hopp from sinking more money into the club and taking on more risk with salaries, stadium improvements, etc.  Whatever debt results would be shared by the 50+1 owners as well so a situation like Leeds or Pompey could still happen.  It's theoretically possible that the fan owners would be able to overrule actions taken by the Corporate owners but everybody is your friend when you're splashing out cash and things are going good.

The dominance of Bayern is a bigger problem for German football than Leipzig IMO.

you would need at least a 3 month break for it to work in MLS and even then you are dangerously close to big snow storms in many of the northern cities on either end of that break.

So at best you would have to have a full 3 month break, following by a couple of weeks or more of games only in the Southern cities to avoid weather issue.  Some clubs won't see their team play at home for almost 4 months and at that point it really is not worth doing imo.
not to mention all the money they would lose for those mid season friendlies with the European teams....

not to mention all the money they would lose for those mid season friendlies with the European teams....

Teams would still schedule friendlies - only now they would be pre-season friendlies for MLS teams also.  Big clubs play domestic minnows all the time in pre-season.  They are coming to America for exposure - not the quality of the opponent...

Of course I love 50+1 since it would have prevented the Franchise FC fiasco.  It can work for individual teams elsewhere (my Dons are closer to 99+1) but I don't think it's possible for any other big leagues to be retrofitted to the Bundesliga model.  The German fan ownership financials are much more complicated than a bunch of supporters framing their stock certificates above the bar.

As I understand it, 50+1 acts more like a floor than a ceiling, as there's nothing to prevent the ostensibly minority owners like Mateschitz and Hopp from sinking more money into the club and taking on more risk with salaries, stadium improvements, etc.  Whatever debt results would be shared by the 50+1 owners as well so a situation like Leeds or Pompey could still happen.  It's theoretically possible that the fan owners would be able to overrule actions taken by the Corporate owners but everybody is your friend when you're splashing out cash and things are going good.

The dominance of Bayern is a bigger problem for German football than Leipzig IMO.
The first year I lived in Germany there was a club in the Bundesliga named Bayer Uerdingen, widely recognized as the red-headed step-child of the Bayer sports program. They had the same Bayer logo on their shirts, but were always second to Leverkusen. But for a brief period, Uerdingen was on top. There was a great German national - the captain Mattias Herget playing libero. Great, fun club to watch for me as a novice fan at the time. I remember them winning the pokal over Bayern and playing against Atletico Madrid in the late stages of one of the UEFA competitions. I'd forgotten about Uerdingen and went to look them up a few years ago as I hadn't seen them in the Bundesliga tables for some time. It seems Bayer pulled their sponsorship and the club sank like a rock to the second, then third, then fourth tier before essentially dissolving. I thought at the time how strange it was that the treasured 50+1 didn't save Bayer Uerdingen.

Eephus said:
Uerdingen is currently playing in the 5th level of the German pyramid as KFC Uerdingen 05.  http://www.kfc-uerdingen.de/

Their stadium holds 34,000.  It probably won't be hard to get a ticket for their next game.
From wiki

KFC has struggled with financial difficulties in recent years, and its efforts to raise money included auctioning on eBay the right to coach the squad for one match

What happens to Boxing Day matches?
Quite possibly my favorite day of the year.  Kids have presents to entertain themselves and lots of leftover food and drink.  It was glorious five years ago when you could record every game and watch them all without worrying about the score being ruined.

Quite possibly my favorite day of the year.  Kids have presents to entertain themselves and lots of leftover food and drink.  It was glorious five years ago when you could record every game and watch them all without worrying about the score being ruined.
How is it glorious if you have drink left over??  I declare that cowardice!

Ainglush bastardz!

Donde estás, hijo di puta madre @Sebowski?...Hola, darkness, my old friend...

Just to make sure...right thread, right?!

@CGRdrJoe, you always be 'der, when my wits fail! .. Vapors....

Donde estás, hijo di puta madre @Sebowski?...Hola, darkness, my old friend...

Just to make sure...right thread, right?!

@CGRdrJoe, you always be 'der, when my wits fail! .. Vapors....
I'm at a bachelor party in New Orleans. Crazy ####### day today. The remands stories.... Drinks. Lots of those. Various. 1pm no cover strip clubs with 2 for1 beers was a kick start.

ZaZa to West Ham= official 

Fabregas to Juve= reportedly. That's  quite an embarrassment of riches, for both clubs.  One doesn't need a player of such caliber, b/c he doesn't fit the system; the other, "Yeah, we'll pick him up & fit him in somewhere".  It must be nice.

Interesting NYT piece on controversial Bundesliga parvenus RB Leipzig
“I was on a plane with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the chief executive of Bayern Munich, on Wednesday,” Mintzlaff said. “He said, and I agree entirely, that it would be awesome for Bayern to have more competition. The secret of the Premier League is that there are five or six strong teams. Here, it is just Bayern and Dortmund. We need more. It is about having a competitive league, not just one club that wins every year. With the power of Red Bull and a lot of hard work, in a few years, we could help that.”
This is a good point.  50+1 is a good plan, but Germans are fooling themselves if they don't think corporate cash doesn't come into play at other clubs.  Of the two, I would think a single rich "owner" would be more offensive to the system than a corporate club.  Of course, the single rich guy is hidden behind a corporation at Leipzig.

Better competition in the league only helps Bayern, and I'm in favor of that.

ZaZa to West Ham= official 

Fabregas to Juve= reportedly. That's  quite an embarrassment of riches, for both clubs.  One doesn't need a player of such caliber, b/c he doesn't fit the system; the other, "Yeah, we'll pick him up & fit him in somewhere".  It must be nice.
West Ham seems to be in shambles. They need some direction. 

This is a good point.  50+1 is a good plan, but Germans are fooling themselves if they don't think corporate cash doesn't come into play at other clubs.  Of the two, I would think a single rich "owner" would be more offensive to the system than a corporate club.  Of course, the single rich guy is hidden behind a corporation at Leipzig.

Better competition in the league only helps Bayern, and I'm in favor of that.
That article also pointed out Hoffenheim's rapid rise due to economic backing, & the subsequent public resentment/backlash. I had no idea; I thought Hoff was a small club that just "worked" their way up. I guess they, like Man City et al, timed it right by achieving it before FFP.  Very interesting article.

Users who are viewing this thread