What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (13 Viewers)

Hoffenheim just kicked off against RasenballSport Leipzig in the battle between the most hated verses the previously most-hated clubs in Europe. The Hoffenheim hatred is particularly strange imo, since the billionaire benefactor in that case had himself played at the club. It was his dream to be able to support the club he came from, and the Germans all wanna piss on that story because the club doesn't have "history."

My wife and I took six boys to the Philly Union vs. SKC game last night for our oldest son's 10th bday. 4 rows up at midfield was a fantastic view.  The smiles on the kids' faces when players were close to us, big plays, and two sweet goals were priceless.  Bedoya was such a workhorse, but was equal part cry baby.  

We had a phenomenal time last night. :wub:  

Nice for Barcelona to get three points in San Mames today.  Also good to see Turan keep his good early season form, assisting on Rakitic's goal.  Those away kits, though.  Something out of a bad 80's movie.  

Don't care that United is 3-0-0 - still hoping Moyes makes a bid on :fro: - he was Hull's best offensive player yesterday giving them two completely unnecessary free kicks within range.  I don't want to beat another dead horse but Rooney looked out of sorts again before a fantastic setup for Rashford's goal.  And speaking of Rashford - I think you have to give him the start over Mata or Martial next match.  In his 10-15 minutes he did more than anybody else on the pitch for United.  He was superb.  Should be a great atmosphere for the derby in two weeks.

I know it's lazy to say that the EPL is two 3-team races (Man City, ManU, Che for title; Ars, LIV, Tott for 4th), but that's the early feeling you get.  

I know it's lazy to say that the EPL is two 3-team races (Man City, ManU, Che for title; Ars, LIV, Tott for 4th), but that's the early feeling you get.  
Agree it feels that way but there's a long way to go.  I think what's interesting is the 3 sides of those 6 with new managers are undefeated and the 3 with holdovers have 4, 4 and 5 pts.  I think most people thought it would take a little while for the new managers to settle in and get their sides playing their style but all have started really well.  I don't think any of the 3 undefeated teams have faced a tough schedule so far while the others 3 have been relatively difficult. 

For United, a back 5 of De Gea, Shaw, Bailly, Blind/Smalling and Valencia looks to be much more stable than what they were running out there the end of last season.  Leading the league in GA now and that will be what Mourinho wants and with the attacking talent they have I think it's not too early to expect top-4 finish minimum.

According to this, Mou isn't satisfied with what they have though - Fonte, I think, would be a great signing but not sure how much he would cost.  Not sure if he doesn't rate Smalling but I think he was our best defender last season and could make a decent partnership with Bailly.  Would love to see a young RB come in to back up Valencia.

My wife and I took six boys to the Philly Union vs. SKC game last night for our oldest son's 10th bday. 4 rows up at midfield was a fantastic view.  The smiles on the kids' faces when players were close to us, big plays, and two sweet goals were priceless.  Bedoya was such a workhorse, but was equal part cry baby.  

We had a phenomenal time last night. :wub:  
Earnie Stewart on The Iron Throne was sweet :)

https://i.reddituploads.com/d355f0f4d494429d9f23c8bc34636762?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=a78da997607ff3739fb355cff103940c

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Shifting their strategy to become Arsenal's feeder club instead of Liverpool's and Tottenham's, Saints spent about half of their Mane money (£16 million) on Lille midfielder and Moroccan international Sofiane Boufal yesterday. I don't know anything about him, as usual.

AAABatteries said:
Don't care that United is 3-0-0 - still hoping Moyes makes a bid on :fro: - he was Hull's best offensive player yesterday giving them two completely unnecessary free kicks within range.  I don't want to beat another dead horse but Rooney looked out of sorts again before a fantastic setup for Rashford's goal.  And speaking of Rashford - I think you have to give him the start over Mata or Martial next match.  In his 10-15 minutes he did more than anybody else on the pitch for United.  He was superb.  Should be a great atmosphere for the derby in two weeks.
He is out for a month after sustaining a back injury.  Hopefully this means we get to see Schneiderlin who can do everything Fellaini has done in that role and offers more.  We saw what happens when the fro tree has to defend quicker Midfielders.  A booking and several top of the box free kicks. De Bryne would have had a field day against him.

Martial looks a bit off, not sure whats going on there.  Rashford needs to play but over who?  I think over Rooney but won't happen.  

And Aguero may miss the derby due to an elbow he threw at West Ham.  

In the strange news of the day column...Former Dodger owner (who bankrupted the Dodgers and was forced to sell them in 2011) is buying Marseille for 40 million dollars.  I feel sorry for Marseille.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3763584/Former-L-A-Dodgers-owner-McCourt-buys-Marseille-soccer-club.html
$40m seemed very low to me but in reading the article, he is not the sole owner, just the majority owner of the team.

Also, the team does not own the stadium they play in which makes the price of the team obviously much smaller.

At least Rooney would no longer be the slowest guy on the team.
Watched the Chelsea game this past weekend... what's up with Oscar?  He was once one of the hottest young commodities in soccer...& has now seemingly slightly regressed.  Is that a fair assessment, & do you think it's due to Mourinho, or O's complacency?  It's always amazed me how Brazilian prodigies seem to tail off, right when they should be in their prime.  

Watched the Chelsea game this past weekend... what's up with Oscar?  He was once one of the hottest young commodities in soccer...& has now seemingly slightly regressed.  Is that a fair assessment, & do you think it's due to Mourinho, or O's complacency?  It's always amazed me how Brazilian prodigies seem to tail off, right when they should be in their prime.  
Oscar is vexatious, has the Chelsea supporter community divided; very disappointing the last two seasons, but still very much supported and everyone wants to see him come around.  I'm a huge fan - pushed him hard in a PM with a FBG fantasy league participant last season, much to the later dismay of my correspondent. Despite his slight frame, he's a very effective tackler and harasser, which is presumably why Mourinho kept him over Mata and Conte plays him over Cesc. Its become more and more rare he shows that creative attacking Brazilian flair, but there are still glimpses from time to time.

CletiusMaximus said:
Hoffenheim just kicked off against RasenballSport Leipzig in the battle between the most hated verses the previously most-hated clubs in Europe. The Hoffenheim hatred is particularly strange imo, since the billionaire benefactor in that case had himself played at the club. It was his dream to be able to support the club he came from, and the Germans all wanna piss on that story because the club doesn't have "history."
Good work by the Hoffenheim supporters yesterday: http://imgur.com/a/XEVgJ

Essentially, a barrage of sarcastic, self-deprecating slogans making fun of the hatred for the two clubs.

"We're the real platics"

"money rules"

"Greetings to the 4 people watching on TV"

"Only One Club has Ruined Football!"
"Take Back the Hate"

"We want our Throne (as most hated) back!"

Oscar is vexatious, has the Chelsea supporter community divided; very disappointing the last two seasons, but still very much supported and everyone wants to see him come around.  I'm a huge fan - pushed him hard in a PM with a FBG fantasy league participant last season, much to the later dismay of my correspondent. Despite his slight frame, he's a very effective tackler and harasser, which is presumably why Mourinho kept him over Mata and Conte plays him over Cesc. Its become more and more rare he shows that creative attacking Brazilian flair, but there are still glimpses from time to time.
Meh...I say throw him in the "garbage pail"...then he'll learn some cynicism...

Last edited by a moderator:
So at our fantasy football draft over the weekend, I subjected the owners to the United game.  I was sitting between a Liverpool and an Arsenal fan, and another soccer fan (no real team that he follows) and the Arsenal fan says "If Jose is such a genius why is Fellaini still there?"  We look over and the Fro gets booked.  :wall:

I asked him if he was nervous when Arsenal conceded to make it 3-1.  He said he was nervous at 3-0!

Then the scouser pipes up about Gerrard being a better player then Scholes.  The three of us just started laughing.

So at our fantasy football draft over the weekend, I subjected the owners to the United game.  I was sitting between a Liverpool and an Arsenal fan, and another soccer fan (no real team that he follows) and the Arsenal fan says "If Jose is such a genius why is Fellaini still there?"  We look over and the Fro gets booked.  :wall:

I asked him if he was nervous when Arsenal conceded to make it 3-1.  He said he was nervous at 3-0!

Then the scouser pipes up about Gerrard being a better player then Scholes.  The three of us just started laughing.
Mad love here for Gerrard, & yes, he was a better player than Scholes, in their respective "primes".  Scholes, imo, is overrated, b/c of the trophies accumulated. He was a team player, whilst Gerrard was the team.   Stevie was the engine, while Scholes was the cog...People need to stop hating on Gerrard...one slip, does not a career make.

eta: can't believe I just defended Pool, but it's just my  :2cents:

The fact you three laughed shows how out of touch you people are.

Neither Scholes or Gerrard is laughably ahead of the other. 

Mad love here for Gerrard, & yes, he was a better player than Scholes, in their respective "primes".  Scholes, imo, is overrated, b/c of the trophies accumulated. He was a team player, whilst Gerrard was the team.   Stevie was the engine, while Scholes was the cog...People need to stop hating on Gerrard...one slip, does not a career make.

eta: can't believe I just defended Pool, but it's just my  :2cents:
Believe me I don't define Gerrard by that one play.  Great MF. Very important to Liverpool.  As much as I hate to say it his not having a EPL title is sad. 

The fact you three laughed shows how out of touch you people are.

Neither Scholes or Gerrard is laughably ahead of the other. 
They played different positions but Scholes was the better player, you are right its not laughably, but better.  Homer or not.  But the discussion is a good one.

And the fact that it wasnt just the United homer adds to it.  

Definitely an interesting discussion between these two in the great debate, "Which English midfielder is second-best behind Frank Lampard in the PL era?"
:lmao: ..lol..I love my dear Frankie above them all...he was so adorable!...

Seriously, my bias aside... the fact that Scholes & Gerrard grew up in their club's respective academies, were humble, & "stayed the course"; makes me begrudgingly give them their due respect ...but ...Frankie  :wub: ...man crush,always & forever.  

eta: Sebowski agrees with ALL of this :unsure:

Martial looks a bit off, not sure whats going on there.  Rashford needs to play but over who?  I think over Rooney but won't happen.  
He could replace any of the 3 and I think deserves to - if it's Rooney then just move Mata to the middle or a straight swap of Mata/Martial.  I'd like to see Mik start too - as much as I hate to say it, I think Rooney needs to be the spot starter and not the other way around.

He could replace any of the 3 and I think deserves to - if it's Rooney then just move Mata to the middle or a straight swap of Mata/Martial.  I'd like to see Mik start too - as much as I hate to say it, I think Rooney needs to be the spot starter and not the other way around.
I agree.  Rooney can not be the automatic pick hes been for the last 2-3 years.  He has slowed and his touch is deteriorating.  They only thing he really does well consistently is the diagonal to Valencia.  But he does come up with that moment of brilliance from time to time (Header for goal, pass to Rashford, cross to Zlatan). But is one moment a good reason for 90 mins of dispair?  

Mata has been fine, no complaints and he should be inside over Rooney.  Mkhy on the right in the 4-2-3-1 (although it did look more 4-1-4-1 this weekend)

Would still love to see a 4-4-2 come back with Rashford and Zlatan up top and Martial, Pogba, Schneiderlin, Mhky through the middle.  

Users who are viewing this thread