What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

I'm getting the feeling I better watch my back while I'm at the kids soccer practice going forward. 

:oldunsure:   :help:  
Nah, gb...if I'm so inclined to smoke during practice, I always walk up to the road.  I'm not a Philistine!

...but you have witnessed my  :ph34r:  skills firsthand... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
so Miazga is going to be a last second decision for chelsea, based on whether they get anybody in?

so far, file under the 'should've stayed in MLS' file.

so Miazga is going to be a last second decision for chelsea, based on whether they get anybody in?

I thought Conte would definitely move him for PT,  b/c he didn't even play a single minute in preseason, especially in the US tour.  The one good thing is the antiquity of Chelsea's CB's, hopefully allowing him some time...

de jong and zardez... couple of big losses (although tbh, I don't if dejong has been playing a lot)
Also Gerrard is out for at least a couple of weeks with an injury and arguably their biggest loss is that Van Damme is out for 2-3 weeks with an MCL sprain.

Tough week for LA.

Borrowing this from elsewhere:

Hello Dankness my old friend, 

I've come to sign Luiz again

End of the window, softly creeping,

And Terry's knees are old and creaking
Sinn Fein...forever remembered as the "One who betrayed the beautiful Lamela, for some bearded Spanish cabana-boy"

SHAME!

Joe Hart is the first English keeper in Serie A since 1929.
That's an awesome stat. 

shtick/no shtick, it's weird how English players never really push themselves to play on the elite teams of the world. Who was the last English guy at Bayern? Braça, Juve.. Beckham at Madrid? 

That's an awesome stat. 

shtick/no shtick, it's weird how English players never really push themselves to play on the elite teams of the world. Who was the last English guy at Bayern? Braça, Juve.. Beckham at Madrid? 
The only period which saw English players move abroad in even small numbers was during the time that English clubs were banned from European competition due to the hooligan problems.   This saw Platt, Rush and Gazza move abroad (and Rush was not even English, just considered "British")

I have always maintained that the best players are not seeking out the best competition, they seek out the best money.   More times than not, if the best money also coincides with your domestic league, many players would choose to stay in their home country.

Beckham and Cole were probably the last "big name" players to move abroad, and we know Becks moved for reasons far beyond just playing for a good team.  It was a huge marketing move for both Becks and Real at the time.

Bony officially off to Stoke for the year

=============

Balotelli is in Nice for a medical exam today but no deal announced yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Gazza :wub: ...one of my favorite footballers ever.  My brothers never understood how i could actually like an English player.  Seeing how his after-career "panned out", & his "lust for life"/liquor, it must have been a natural inclination :unsure:

Seriously though, I loved watching him play.

re: Balotelli: what a waste. :kicksrock:

So I wake up with news on the phone that Spurs have made an offer for Sissoko.  By the time I can look it up it looks like the deal is dead.  Spurs offered 16 or so and now this is the headline...   Newcastle are prepared to sell Moussa Sissoko to Tottenham for £30m, Sky sources understand.

16 is a long way from 30.   :kicksrock:

I like the idea of Sissoko coming in and he played great in the Euro, but 30 is a lot for him.  Mixed emotions here.

Gazza :wub: ...one of my favorite footballers ever.  My brothers never understood how i could actually like an English player.  Seeing how his after-career "panned out", & his "lust for life"/liquor, it must have been a natural inclination :unsure:

Seriously though, I loved watching him play.

re: Balotelli: what a waste. :kicksrock:
Gazza was such an atypical English footballer.   He was a Brazilian flair player trapped inside a drunk English body.

He remains the highest skilled English player I ever saw.  The fact that he did this while after nights of being drunk and or on drugs makes it even more amazing.   He was so fast on the ball.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s80P_ap74HY

So I wake up with news on the phone that Spurs have made an offer for Sissoko.  By the time I can look it up it looks like the deal is dead.  Spurs offered 16 or so and now this is the headline...   Newcastle are prepared to sell Moussa Sissoko to Tottenham for £30m, Sky sources understand.

I like the idea of Sissoko coming in and he played great in the Euro, but 30 is a lot for him.  Mixed emotions here.
Sissoko's price rose about 15m due to his Euro tournament, imo.   16m seems about right.  Talented, but inconsistent, & too many cases of the IDGAF's...reminds me of YaYa Toure regarding his motivation(s), or lack thereof.

El Floppo said:

I think it was known within days after he came over that, as a winter transfer, he would stay with Chelsea for the second half of the season, likely play very little with the seniors, then go on loan. That was the plan from day one and it has played out exactly as planned. As for the loan, I really think its hard to make any judgment based on media reports, but its highly unlikely to be a "last second decision." I seriously doubt the kid is just twisting in the wind right now, and expect there is a plan in place, likely depending on what happens with other players and other clubs. I've always been a bit concerned with his association with the quasi-agent, somewhat shady Kia Joorabchian, but have to say the guy generally seems to get good results for his players. I think its very tough to say he should have stayed in MLS when he likely increased his income 10x and has had pretty good training the past 6 months.

If you want to experience the highs, and mostly lows of a Spurs transfer day - here is the thread to follow

Most of the meltdowns have already been had - with the latest ITK that the Isco deal is dead, but it does not take much to get everyone fired up about the latest info, only to be let down later...

I think it was known within days after he came over that, as a winter transfer, he would stay with Chelsea for the second half of the season, likely play very little with the seniors, then go on loan. That was the plan from day one and it has played out exactly as planned. As for the loan, I really think its hard to make any judgment based on media reports, but its highly unlikely to be a "last second decision." I seriously doubt the kid is just twisting in the wind right now, and expect there is a plan in place, likely depending on what happens with other players and other clubs. I've always been a bit concerned with his association with the quasi-agent, somewhat shady Kia Joorabchian, but have to say the guy generally seems to get good results for his players. I think its very tough to say he should have stayed in MLS when he likely increased his income 10x and has had pretty good training the past 6 months.
good stuff.

fwiw- the "last second" is more a reflection on what I've been reading about his loan being dependent on whether Chelsea bring in other CBs. I don't assume they're just sitting around waiting for a last second offer... I've read he's been linked to a couple of EPL teams (one of which has been previously reported as Sunderland), and I'm sure Chelsea have something lined up for him... but again, dependent on what is now a last second move inbound of CB backup.

if he's not going out on loan... and given how little he played over the summer (training is great- but playing is better) even in his homeland and in what would have been his home college stadium... I don't have terribly high hopes for him getting PT this fall. Yeah- I agree that saying staying in MLS is or isn't a proven better move at this point.. but if the bench-time continues for another half season... that's where I made the leap to my previous statement.

from the Telegraph, so grains of salt and all that...

Chelsea are now close to sealing the return of central defender David Luiz after agreeing a fee of around £32million with Paris Saint-Germain, reports Matt Law.

Personal terms are not thought to be an issue, which leaves very little to be done to get the deal over the line ahead of tonight’s deadline.

Luiz is expected to arrive in London to take a medical, although the move could even be confirmed before that takes place.

Luiz will be black and blue soon

Head coach Antonio Conte this afternoon gave the green light on the Luiz deal and negotiations progressed quickly from there.

Chelsea have also been talking to Valencia about taking Aymen Abdennour on loan for the rest of the season.

But it seems any temporary deal for Abdennour will be put on ice in anticipation of Luiz moving back to Stamford Bridge.

damn I hate the rumor window.  Schneiderlin to Tottenham?  The presence of the  :fro:  screws us again.  2 seasons ago Schneiderlin was rated at the top of the defensive MF list.  LVG robs him of everything and now he can't get time over Fellaini?  :wall:

F U MOYES!

damn I hate the rumor window.  Schneiderlin to Tottenham?  The presence of the  :fro:  screws us again.  2 seasons ago Schneiderlin was rated at the top of the defensive MF list.  LVG robs him of everything and now he can't get time over Fellaini?  :wall:

F U MOYES!
If it makes you feel any better, I doubt it happens.

good stuff.

fwiw- the "last second" is more a reflection on what I've been reading about his loan being dependent on whether Chelsea bring in other CBs. I don't assume they're just sitting around waiting for a last second offer... I've read he's been linked to a couple of EPL teams (one of which has been previously reported as Sunderland), and I'm sure Chelsea have something lined up for him... but again, dependent on what is now a last second move inbound of CB backup.

if he's not going out on loan... and given how little he played over the summer (training is great- but playing is better) even in his homeland and in what would have been his home college stadium... I don't have terribly high hopes for him getting PT this fall. Yeah- I agree that saying staying in MLS is or isn't a proven better move at this point.. but if the bench-time continues for another half season... that's where I made the leap to my previous statement.
We were discussing a few days ago how the centerback position seems to be (somewhat comically) driving a huge amount of the transfer rumors this summer, with Stones, Mangala, Mustafi, Bailly and the various players Arsenal and Chelsea have been linked with. I think its pretty funny, but for Miazga probably means his move will be announced late, after the dust settles. My opinion noted in the Nats thread is that a loan to a PL side would be great, but only if he's going to play regularly, which will be hard to find at this point. I think the Championship (QPR!!) would be perfect, and Germany/Holland would be only slightly less so. Probably the worst situation is he stays with Chelsea, plays with the U23's and gets the occasional call-up to dress with the big boys. Without mid-week games, those opportunities would be scarce.

You guys wanting to get Fonte on your team ought to remember just how well Lovren fared when he initially moved to Liverpool. And he was considered the better of the two. I am a big fan of the Saints captain but he cost them two points Saturday with a fairly clumsy foul on Defoe. 

Virgil is the guy taking charge of the Soton defense these days.

I think its very tough to say he should have stayed in MLS when he likely increased his income 10x.
Yes and no.

he is easily making ten times or more than his MLS salary when he left.  But you also have to factor that he turned down an offer from NY that would have paid him DP money in the $800k range.

I never follow transfer news anymore, on purpose.  For the first time since last transfer day, I check in on the end-of-window buzz and it's just the same claptrap speculation as it always is.  Wilshere to Bournemouth.  No wait WIlshere to Roma.  No wait Arsenal might be mad at Roma for the Manolas thing.  Wilshere to Bournemouth back on.  Bookmakers are seeing a surge in German bets, Wilshere to Borussia Munchengladbach.  No wait Bournemouth back in the picture.  Arsenal fans expecting the team to swoop in and sign Griezmann and Lewandowski at 10 PM.  Arsenal odds on favorites to sign Almiron.  Almiron happy to move to Arsenal but not today.

Now I remember why I don't follow transfers anymore.

That's an awesome stat. 

Owen Hargreaves was a regular for Bayern from 2000-2007.  His story is a little different though...he was born and raised in Canada to British parents.  Made the move to Bayern's youth program in the 90s and then was promoted to the senior team.  He was first capped to play for England in 2001 and made 39 of his total 42 England caps while playing for Bayern.  He made his EPL debut in the 07-08 season with United, played 1 solid season and then had his career basically ended by injuries.  

Hargreaves and Beckham were the only players on the 06 World Cup team playing outside of England (Becks was with Madrid at the time).  Hargreaves was the only player on their 02 World Cup team playing outside of England at the time.  Steve McManaman was playing for Real Madrid at the time but was left out of the 2002 England team.

Users who are viewing this thread