What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Is it too late to get on the bandwagon? I would like to give EPL a try soon. I'm not sure who to root for starters. 

Heck,  is the Irish premier league any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it too late to get on the bandwagon? I would like to give EPL a try soon. I'm not sure who to root for starters. 
This is a common question.  There are two approaches to take.

1.  There are many "How to Choose A Premier League Club" articles on the internet.  Each will give you a variety of "reasons" of varying validity for why you might want to choose to support a given club.

2.  You can just watch some games and pick a club that appeals to you.  This is always my recommendation.  One of the great pleasures of choosing to support a team in a country that you have no connection to is that there really isn't an invalid reason to support them.  Maybe you like Norwich's kits.  Or really loved Henry IV, Pt. 1.  Or enjoy Palace's cheerleaders.  Or maybe you just like watching the way a team plays.  One of my better friends supports City because Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher do.  Seems as good a reason as any. 

Technical fault with the chopper . Looks like I'm staying put . #DeadlineDay

— Peter Crouch (@petercrouch) August 31, 2016

Heck,  is the Irish premier league any good?
A-

1- Watch as many games as you can

2- Start following the team you enjoy watching the most. (Style of play, popular players you know)

B-

1- Start following Liverpool

2- Get ready for heart palpitations all season

This is a common question.  There are two approaches to take.

1.  There are many "How to Choose A Premier League Club" articles on the internet.  Each will give you a variety of "reasons" of varying validity for why you might want to choose to support a given club.

2.  You can just watch some games and pick a club that appeals to you.  This is always my recommendation.  One of the great pleasures of choosing to support a team in a country that you have no connection to is that there really isn't an invalid reason to support them.  Maybe you like Norwich's kits.  Or really loved Henry IV, Pt. 1.  Or enjoy Palace's cheerleaders.  Or maybe you just like watching the way a team plays.  One of my better friends supports City because Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher do.  Seems as good a reason as any. 
you can also pick a team that sounds about right based on what kinds of teams you like- soccer aside. 

daddy-warbucks owner who will buy little skippy a new team every year to compete for top? 

stoic, steady but never quite there teams that have tradition and a bit of money?

historically great teams that are a bit under the weather, but might make a fight of it?

gritty teams with spunk that will never finish near the top?

soul-less miserable maroons?

keep in mind, with the bottom 3 teams getting relegated every season, you probably want to pick a team with some legs... or risk the yoyo/hopes following your team down into the lower divisions.

from Fox...

WE are into the final hours of the European transfer window.

The race is on for clubs, agents and players to seal their deals by the deadline at 8am AEST on Thursday.

Until then, keep returning to this page for rolling updates and the latest breaking news and gossip.

Click here for every DEADLINE DAY DONE DEAL.

TOP DEADLINE DAY HEADLINES RIGHT NOW

- Paris Saint-Germain defender David Luiz is set to undergo a medical ahead of a shock return to Chelsea according to Sky Sports. It’s set to take place at 3am AEST, 6pm UK time. Chelsea have reportedly made a bid of £32m to bring the Brazilian defender back to Stamford Bridge from PSG - who bought him from the Blues for £50m.

Sky sports reported Jack Wilshere travelled to Bournemouth for a medical ahead of a season-long loan, and will reject Roma, AC Milan and Crystal Palace.

- Everton are in talks with Newcastle to sign Moussa Sissoko, according to Sky sources. Newcastle want £30 million for the France midfielder and are willing to accept payment in five installments of £6m. Tottenham are also interested but talks have broken down over Newcastle’s valuation of the player.

Torino confirm they have signed Joe Hart from Manchester City on a season long loan.

Manchester City’s Wilfred Bony has completed a move to Stoke City,Samir Nasrihas moved to Sevilla on loan, and Eliaquim Mangala has signed for Valencia on loan.

- Sunderland have signed Didier Ndong from Lorient for a club record £13.5m and Burnley have signed Jeff Hendrick from Burnley for a club record £8m.

- Chelsea have signed Fiorentina defender Marcos Alonso, while Juan Cuadradowill go on loan to Juventus.

- Leicester target Islam Slimani has been allowed to leave an Algerian training camp to have a medical ahead of a club record move.

I am use to cheering on loveable loser like teams.  Liverpool or Arsenal seems to fit the bill. 

Barcelona wrapped up business yesterday by signing Paco Alcacer from Valencia to be the main sub up front.  Added a lot of depth to the squad this summer.  

If I had to do it over I would pick Crystal Palace because that is Rebecca Lowe's club and maybe one day we would meet, bond over our shared love of Palace and live happily ever after.  :wub:

Shut it Floppo.
Right there w/ ya...  they'll be my relegation struggle PL team for the foreseeable future.  (I like to have a second PL team that lives near the bottom, makes life fun.) 

If there isn't a Nigel DeJong LA Galaxy "highlights" video scored to Sarah Maclachan's "I Will Remember You" on YouTube by tonight, then the internet soccer community will have failed us. 

FWIW, I'd classify Arsene essentially giving up on Wilshere before giving up on Theo as a mild upset. 
Am I the only one who really doesn't have a problem with Wilshere?  Is there really not a place for him in this team?  I get that they're relatively deep in central midfield but it's not like they have a bunch of world-beaters at the position.  

Am I the only one who really doesn't have a problem with Wilshere?  Is there really not a place for him in this team?  I get that they're relatively deep in central midfield but it's not like they have a bunch of world-beaters at the position.  
I would guess that we all like Wilshere and rate him highly... when he's not hurt.

Plus- it seems like it's either him or Ozil on the field. I'm not same phil-ozil that you guys are, but I think Jack has lost that battle. he's still young- get some quality PT somewhere and reinvent himself... he's definitely got the ability.

But they have non world beaters there that can actually play and aren't hurt every other week

LA just terminated De Jong's contract basically telling Galatassary "yes please take him for nothing"
I only saw him play 2 or 3 times for LA... and still pulled the late-tackling goonery. 

given what you wrote there, doesn't sound like there was much more to his game for LA... or was there?

Just last season, I would say that I was in the distinct minority in being ready to give up on Wilshere.  I think everyone recognizes Wilshere's natural talent.  He's one of the most naturally talented English players in years.  But I came to the conclusion that Wilshere's injuries aren't just bad luck.  They're a consequence of his worst habit, which is that he holds the ball too long (to be fair, I first heard this critique from Paul Scholes).  The guy invites a lot of late tackles (and gets into his own ill advised tackles) and he gets hurt a lot.  If Jack were still 19, maybe I'd still hold out hope for him correcting this issue and becoming the player I thought he could be.  But he isn't.  The odds that Jack Wilshere becomes the player that we imagined "Potential Jack Wilshere" to be are getting more remote by the year. 

More relevantly, I think it's hard to justify holding on to your 3rd best CAM and your fourth or fifth best CM.  Ozil and Cazorla are better pure playmakers.  Xhaka, Ramsey, and Cazorla offer more in CM (and Wilshere is a disaster as a pure holding DM so I'd rather have Coquelin and Elneny, even if neither are as talented).

Users who are viewing this thread