What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Just last season, I would say that I was in the distinct minority in being ready to give up on Wilshere.  I think everyone recognizes Wilshere's natural talent.  He's one of the most naturally talented English players in years.  But I came to the conclusion that Wilshere's injuries aren't just bad luck.  They're a consequence of his worst habit, which is that he holds the ball too long (to be fair, I first heard this critique from Paul Scholes).  The guy invites a lot of late tackles (and gets into his own ill advised tackles) and he gets hurt a lot.  If Jack were still 19, maybe I'd still hold out hope for him correcting this issue and becoming the player I thought he could be.  But he isn't.  The odds that Jack Wilshere becomes the player that we imagined "Potential Jack Wilshere" to be are getting more remote by the year. 

More relevantly, I think it's hard to justify holding on to your 3rd best CAM and your fourth or fifth best CM.  Ozil and Cazorla are better pure playmakers.  Xhaka, Ramsey, and Cazorla offer more in CM (and Wilshere is a disaster as a pure holding DM so I'd rather have Coquelin and Elneny, even if neither are as talented).
I now remember you saying that, and remember that I also agreed with it.

on top of being un-explosive, I also tended to play on my toes a lot. this meant even though I was a decent sized player, I'd get taken down a lot... especially with one foot planted. the latter meant that I spent a lot of time with sprained ankles- I never really learned how to ride tackles well, and would just get chopped down a lot as the AM with the ball at my feet a lot. it was also the days when tackles from behind weren't criminalized.

I wonder if wilshere has any other factors like that- besides just holding the ball longer- that make him injury prone. 

I now remember you saying that, and remember that I also agreed with it.

on top of being un-explosive, I also tended to play on my toes a lot. this meant even though I was a decent sized player, I'd get taken down a lot... especially with one foot planted. the latter meant that I spent a lot of time with sprained ankles- I never really learned how to ride tackles well, and would just get chopped down a lot as the AM with the ball at my feet a lot. it was also the days when tackles from behind weren't criminalized.

I wonder if wilshere has any other factors like that- besides just holding the ball longer- that make him injury prone. 
I blame smoking ####.

I think Sissoko to Everton has been made OFFICIAL for 30 million.  What a difference a decent Euros make.  True Geordie is acting like he just won the lottery. 
per Fox UK...

- Everton are in talks with Newcastle to sign Moussa Sissoko, but Tottenham have come in with a big late play. Newcastle want £30 million for the France midfielder and are willing to accept payment in five installments of £6m.

that last bit sounds like it's aimed at Spurs

I think Sissoko to Everton has been made OFFICIAL for 30 million.  What a difference a decent Euros make.  True Geordie is acting like he just won the lottery. 
Seriously?  That's insane. GL Everton...I wonder what Koeman's influence truly is...I can't see him wholeheartedly agreeing to this.

Guardian blog reported 20 minutes ago that Sissoko was taking his physical at Goodison Park.  We'll see.  I remain skeptical of paying 30 million pounds for guys who get their teams relegated (as gianmarco can attest as he had to endure all my emails urging him not to draft Wijndalum).

espn saying Sissoko to everton is close/done as well.

also mentioned enner valencia to everton on loan. love this guy- not sure why west ham would be loaning him out, considering they've been starting him... but I'm not exactly in deep with the hammers.

I know it's La Liga and stuff, but isn't it still only like week 3?  Don't we need to wait at least 3-4 more weeks before they have the top of the table locked up?

Didn't  the EPL have the league won 3 weeks before LA Liga last year? Oh yeah, they did. Facts shmacts though amirite?

I only saw him play 2 or 3 times for LA... and still pulled the late-tackling goonery. 

given what you wrote there, doesn't sound like there was much more to his game for LA... or was there?
some of it must related to the contract he signed.  If he met certain playing time goals, his contract next year would convert to a DP level (which would have been a mess for LA even with Gerrard likely coming off the books).   

So letting him go for nothing was probably the better long term choice rather than risking him staying because no one would match a fee.

The other thing about the Wilshere deal is that it signals to me that Arsenal really do possibly intend to move the Ox into central midfield "permanently".  I think he's been good in the role and wonder if this is him solidifying his spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even The Fire don't want to be left out of the days activities :)

==========

French club Nantes are trying to secure the transfer of Chicago Fire forward David Accam before Europe's summer transfer window closes on Wednesday, sources told ESPN FC.

The Fire have been trying to re-sign the fleet-footed Ghana international for several weeks but the Ligue 1 side have offered over $3 million for the player, the sources said.

Accam's contract is guaranteed through next season (with a team option for 2018) and a Fire spokesman declined to comment on whether they would match the offer.

Better get than Schniderlan, though he's down the same hit or miss as Wijnaldum. Talent is there, they just haven't got it dialed in from game to game
I don't think they were ever really in for Schneiderlin - he is on too high a wage at ManU.

They apparently tried hard with Isco - agreed to terms with Madrid, but could not convince the player.  With Sissoko - player wanted Spurs, but Spurs would not match the offer given by Everton - until the last hour, when Spurs blinked.  He will rotate with Dembele - so £30M seems a steep price to pay..

I don't think they were ever really in for Schneiderlin - he is on too high a wage at ManU.

They apparently tried hard with Isco - agreed to terms with Madrid, but could not convince the player.  With Sissoko - player wanted Spurs, but Spurs would not match the offer given by Everton - until the last hour, when Spurs blinked.  He will rotate with Dembele - so £30M seems a steep price to pay..
He played well in the Euro's.  He seemed to care then.  The question is if that attitude can be replicated for club on a regular basis.  Seems a big gamble at 30mil for a notoriously tight club.  

Also will be a record signing for Spurs if its over 26mil.  For a probable rotational player...    :shrug:

Ok...now change your avatar back.

Users who are viewing this thread