What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Another set back in San Diego as the city council voted 8-1 against including the funds needed to get Soccer City on to a ballot for voters.

Mayor will veto this vote but then needs to gain support from this group that just voted against it.  Being apolitical, I have no idea how this works but there are people who think the city council will change their stance after the veto.

Kristof Terreur ?‏Verified account @HLNinEngeland 6h6 hours ago

The last one. Romelu Lukaku: "Staying at Everton? (very quiet) That's not really an option, I think." That was quite clear.. #efc #cfc #mufc
Although I don't know the guy and try not to judge, I've never been a fan of this player's attitude.

Pretty sure he is thinking outside the box on this one.  

Reading the article, it suggested that some of the neighbors are not keen on the idea of a stadium - so he still needs approval from the City of Miami to build - presumably zoning variances.
just replied in the walking dead thread, and read the above as "presumably zombie variances".

lol at outside the box. 

Another set back in San Diego as the city council voted 8-1 against including the funds needed to get Soccer City on to a ballot for voters.

Mayor will veto this vote but then needs to gain support from this group that just voted against it.  Being apolitical, I have no idea how this works but there are people who think the city council will change their stance after the veto.
It's politics. I just heard a bunch about it today form reporters and then from the mayor himself, which is rare for him. He normally hides inside his empty suit. A $3.6 billion budget that did not include the line-item money for a special election ($5 million) was passed by City Council yesterday at 8-1. Now the mayor is going to veto in a line item for the special election and carve out the $5mil needed to do so from the existing line-items. It is under his authority to do this, but City Council can then come back and overrule his veto with a s per majority. This is much different than just passing the budget like they did yesterday. The mayor is a Republican. 4 of the City Council members are Republican, 5 Democrat. A super majority would be 6 coming out and voting to overrule the Mayor's veto. That would be mean a Republican would have to flip and the Dems would have to stay the line. I'm guessing a lot of horse trading will be going on here. That $5mil has to get pieced from somewhere. Literally "where"? Your district, councilman fence sitter? Maybe... 

A second piece to this is that there is one more initiative that needs to be voted on here. The people in charge of that one also want the special election to happen so their deal has a chance to be voted on. Each of these initiatives will be looked at separately. One this coming Monday, and the other the next. This past Monday was just about the general budget, which they passed without the money for the election in it. The mayor will now put in that money. Then the City Council will basically decide to pass the Mayor's revised budget or not. And if they do, they then decide if the special election is still worth having. Meaning, and I'll use paraphrase the mayor here, the City Council will then not be able to use the lack of funding as an objection to hold an election for the people to decide what to do with these initiatives. 

TL:DR

It was a bit of a blow, but by no means the end of this. 

I don't want to proofread all that :lol:  so sorry for any typos. 

I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love silly season. 

Looks like Lukaku has his mind made up on Chelsea, though Im not convinced CFC will pay Everton's asking price. I think of it this way. They paid Anderlecht 12M pounds to acquire him when he was 18, received ~33M pounds from Everton when they sold him to the Toffees, and will now pay around 80M pounds to get him back. All in all, they are out 60M pounds to get one of the best young strikers in the world. Not my money!  Hes only 23 and is much more prolific than Costa. Sure Id prefer an Aubameyang or an Aguero or perhaps a Luis Suarez, but make no mistake he will bag 25 goals every season at Chelsea. And I do think hes better than Morata.

Also being linked to Correntin Tolisso from Lyon. This guy is sweet. Classic central midfielder who does a bit of everything - tackling, long range shooting, distribution, key passes in the final third. Apparently Chelsea have a 30M pound offer on the table. Love the idea of Chelsea moving to a three-man central midfield consisting of Kante-Cesc-Tolisso (with Matic supposedly off to Man Utd or Juventus). Has the makings of a sweet 3-5-2 which is a nice shift from this season's 3-4-3. They zig, we zag.

andall Hauk‏Verified account @odroku  47m47 minutes ago

Auba to PSG details per Sport Bild: - 4 years at 14 million per - Fee of 70 million to #BVB - Abua already bought home in Paris burbs

I'm not ashamed to admit it. I love silly season. 

Looks like Lukaku has his mind made up on Chelsea, though Im not convinced CFC will pay Everton's asking price. I think of it this way. They paid Anderlecht 12M pounds to acquire him when he was 18, received ~33M pounds from Everton when they sold him to the Toffees, and will now pay around 80M pounds to get him back. All in all, they are out 60M pounds to get one of the best young strikers in the world. Not my money!  Hes only 23 and is much more prolific than Costa. Sure Id prefer an Aubameyang or an Aguero or perhaps a Luis Suarez, but make no mistake he will bag 25 goals every season at Chelsea. And I do think hes better than Morata.

Also being linked to Correntin Tolisso from Lyon. This guy is sweet. Classic central midfielder who does a bit of everything - tackling, long range shooting, distribution, key passes in the final third. Apparently Chelsea have a 30M pound offer on the table. Love the idea of Chelsea moving to a three-man central midfield consisting of Kante-Cesc-Tolisso (with Matic supposedly off to Man Utd or Juventus). Has the makings of a sweet 3-5-2 which is a nice shift from this season's 3-4-3. They zig, we zag.
I've got a bad feeling about Lukaku. Hated the way he left Chelsea the first time and don't like the way he's leaving Everton. That's probably a good sign though, since my initial impression of a player is almost always wrong. I didn't like Costa, Cesc or Pedro when they were signed, didn't think Luiz or Alonso would be worth a damn, thought Hazard was never going to reach his previous level again, and fully expected Oscar to be a great Chelsea player for years to come.

Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs.

We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk.

We respect Southampton's position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/265720-liverpool-fc-statement

I've got a bad feeling about Lukaku. Hated the way he left Chelsea the first time and don't like the way he's leaving Everton. That's probably a good sign though, since my initial impression of a player is almost always wrong. I didn't like Costa, Cesc or Pedro when they were signed, didn't think Luiz or Alonso would be worth a damn, thought Hazard was never going to reach his previous level again, and fully expected Oscar to be a great Chelsea player for years to come.
Truthfully, Lukaku isnt my first choice either. But I do think he fits the bill.  And to compound matters, now Costa has stated that Conte is moving on from him. 

Tancredi Palmeri‏  @tancredipalmeri  1h1 hour ago

Diego Costa: "Conte sent me a text saying he doesn't count on me.Shame. I forward the text to Chelsea people. I'm looking for a club"

Last edited by a moderator:
Truthfully, Lukaku isnt my first choice either. But I do think he fits the bill.  And to compound matters, now Costa has stated that Conte is moving on from him. 

Tancredi Palmeri‏  @tancredipalmeri  1h1 hour ago

Diego Costa: "Conte sent me a text saying he doesn't count on me.Shame. I forward the text to Chelsea people. I'm looking for a club"
I'm picturing Conte sending a bunch of drunken texts after a few too many glasses of Chianti. Like Willian and David Luiz got texts making fun of their hair. 

Miami and LAFC ears just perked up

=============

ESPN FC‏Verified account @ESPNFC

Man United will release Zlatan Ibrahimovic on June 30th without offering him a new contract

I am starting a Rumor: Zlatan to the USL with Drogba!!!
wait a sec... drogba is really playing for the phoenix rising FC? in the USL?! we must've talked about this... but I don't remember it.

had to look this up- recent event. too recent for my brain to go zero-dark-thirty on it. did we discuss it in here? he's player/co-owner?!

The former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has joined the United Soccer League side Phoenix Rising as a player and co-owner.

The 39-year-old has not played since leaving Major League Soccer’s Montreal Impact in November but he has taken up the chance to join Phoenix’s “MLS expansion franchise ownership group”.

“To own a team and be a player at the same time is unusual but it’s going to be very exciting,” Drogba said. “It’s a good transition because I want to carry on playing but I’m almost 40 and it’s important for me to prepare for my later career.”

Phoenix have just started their fourth season in the Western Conference of USL, which forms part of the second tier of the American league system. The Arizona club are one of 12 teams bidding for two new MLS franchises and Drogba revealed he had spoken with the Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich for advice.

“I explained to him and the Chelsea board what I wanted to do”, said Drogba.

“They found it interesting and they are happy for me. Being in America doesn’t mean that I’m putting Chelsea out of sight. The club is important to me and one day I will come back.”

“I had offers from China, from England – in both the Premier League and even the Championship – but they were only as a player,” Drogba told the BBC’s Premier League Show.

“This was the right offer because it was important for me to think about playing, because I enjoy it, but also to get to the next stage of my career.”

Phoenix Rising have several players with Premier League experience including the former Leicester man Jordan Stewart and a former team-mate of Drogba, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

had to look this up- recent event. too recent for my brain to go zero-dark-thirty on it. did we discuss it in here? he's player/co-owner?!
I know I mentioned it, but apparently no one listens to me unless I am disgracing a national tragedy.   

P.S. Garry Monk resigned from Leeds (Leeds, Leeds!) last month too :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread