Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

3 minutes ago, Buzzbait said:

There now. 1-0 FCC with 10 minutes left :excited:

Attendance is 30,160. New Open Cup record for the 4th round. 

That attendence number is bananas. Orlando City looking to be upset tonight as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

That is about as good as one can hope for their MLS bid.  Huge crowd, they get the win, will get tons of press and hopefully sway a vote or two along the way.

Spelling of that crowd https://cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4/zan66.mp4?token=1498698724_bf118664591a5da032e441e2cba34db10f9f5ba7

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

that clump at the bottom of '14 wc games not featuring the US or even Mex is interesting.

what else stands out is that international soccer is king for US viewers.  

If we can ever get to the point where a club game (FA Cup Final, MLS Cup Final, UCL Final or one of the Liga MX games etc) can crack the bottom of that list, it will be really cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

That is about as good as one can hope for their MLS bid.  Huge crowd, they get the win, will get tons of press and hopefully sway a vote or two along the way.

Charlotte's bid isn't looking to good as the city and county squabble over funding the stadium.

2 hours ago, Buzzbait said:

There now. 1-0 FCC with 10 minutes left :excited:

Attendance is 30,160. New Open Cup record for the 4th round. 

:suds:

Right behind the goal when Djiby put it in.  The Bailey was insane. 

Maybe the greatest sporting event I've attended.  What an upset.  What a statement.

CINCINNATI HERE WE GO :clap::clap: HERE WE GO :clap::clap:HERE WE GO :clap::clap:

• Like 14

The guy in MLS who was looking to make a huge move to Europe this summer just did this last night

==============

David Harris‏ @DavidHarrisOS

BREAKING: Orlando City Soccer forward Cyle Larin was arrested early Thursday on a DUI charge, according to the Florida Highway Patrol

FHP says Larin, 22, going wrong way down Orange Ave. He said he just left downtown bar. Blew a .179, legal limit is .08

Larin “averted” a head on crash just before he was pulled over. Oncoming car stopped just a few feet in front of Larin’s, troopers say

56 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The guy in MLS who was looking to make a huge move to Europe this summer just did this last night

==============

David Harris‏ @DavidHarrisOS

BREAKING: Orlando City Soccer forward Cyle Larin was arrested early Thursday on a DUI charge, according to the Florida Highway Patrol

FHP says Larin, 22, going wrong way down Orange Ave. He said he just left downtown bar. Blew a .179, legal limit is .08

Larin “averted” a head on crash just before he was pulled over. Oncoming car stopped just a few feet in front of Larin’s, troopers say

oof

13 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

what else stands out is that international soccer is king for US viewers.  

If we can ever get to the point where a club game (FA Cup Final, MLS Cup Final, UCL Final or one of the Liga MX games etc) can crack the bottom of that list, it will be really cool.

I'm surprised a UCL final hasn't cracked the list. 

Just now, shader said:

I'm surprised a UCL final hasn't cracked the list. 

That is not even the highest club game watched each year.  Typically there are 3-4 Liga MX games that draw more each year.

The UCL needs to almost double in size (on average) to crack the bottom of that list.  

Just watched the LH Cup Draw for the round of 16. Here's the match ups:

• East: DC United at NE and Philadelphia at NY Red Bulls
  • South: Atlanta United at Miami FC and Chicago Fire at FC Cincinnati :yes:
  • Central: Sporting KC at Houston and Colorado at FC Dallas
  • West: Seattle at San Jose and Sacramento Republic at LA Galaxy

The South will be interesting with USL and NASL hosting MLS teams.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

That is not even the highest club game watched each year.  Typically there are 3-4 Liga MX games that draw more each year.

The UCL needs to almost double in size (on average) to crack the bottom of that list.  

One thing I noticed last weekend, the Women's friendly against Norway was on a major network channel, whereas a huge WCQ for the men against our arch-rival was on FS1, a cable channel that didn't exist a few years ago.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

One thing I noticed last weekend, the Women's friendly against Norway was on a major network channel, whereas a huge WCQ for the men against our arch-rival was on FS1, a cable channel that didn't exist a few years ago.

That is all time slot related.  If you switch the time slots of the two games, the channels would have been the same (women on FS1 and men on Fox).

It is much easier to find space on an OTA network on a weekend afternoon for a soccer game.  There are around 15 or more games on OTA every year on a weekend afternoon.  It is near impossible to find space on an OTA network in prime time.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buzzbait said:

That is a nice looking mix.

Great to see Cincy hosting.  I don't know if Chicago will bring any of the big names but if they do, you could see another huge crowd.

26 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

That is all time slot related.  If you switch the time slots of the two games, the channels would have been the same (women on FS1 and men on Fox).

It is much easier to find space on an OTA network on a weekend afternoon for a soccer game.  There are around 15 or more games on OTA every year on a weekend afternoon.  It is near impossible to find space on an OTA network in prime time.

Man your knowledge on the TV stuff is amazing.

I thought the same exact thing as @CletiusMaximus when I saw it.  I thought 'sup wit dat? :confused: 

35 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

could all be MSL teams.

Back in 1995, they announced the new league and the name.

Shortly after, I remember reading an article from academia giving some reasons why MLS was a poor name.

one was that it sounded like a medical condition.  Another was that it was going to be confused with the Real Estate Term (multiple listing service) and the 3rd, which I scoffed at but turned out to be true, was that that specific group of letters was going to be misspelled.  They gave some reason why but I forget now.

22 years later, I don't go a few days with out seeing it misspelled on twitter, reddit, big soccer and other places online.

I wonder what it is about those letters.  You never see anyone type MBL for MLB, or NAB for NBA, or even ELP for EPL.

Edited by NewlyRetired

3 minutes ago, Ned said:

Man your knowledge on the TV stuff is amazing.

I thought the same exact thing as @CletiusMaximus when I saw it.  I thought 'sup wit dat? :confused: 

I think Fox would have loved to show that game on OTA but they had no ability to affect the time slot since that was controlled by the host country, in this case Mexico.

26 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The first two yes.  But the Miami team has nothing to do with the Beckham group.  Two different teams.

The Beckham group is a bust... the NASL team is the one the city needs. 

3 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

The Beckham group is a bust... the NASL team is the one the city needs. 

It has been a long and painful process for Becks who for I think the first time in his life can't just smile and get what he wants.

They have put so much time and effort into this, if they can't get a stadium deal done, no one will be able to.

The good news is that for the first time they are making significant progress.  From just last week:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article154621519.html

After a four-year quest, David Beckham on Tuesday finally secured land to build a soccer stadium in Miami, after county commissioners approved selling him three acres for $9 million.

“Yes, it has taken a while to get to this point,” Commissioner Xavier Suarez said. “But I think this community needs it … It is going to improve this community in so many ways.”

The 9-4 vote by Miami-Dade commissioners gives Beckham the right to buy the remaining third of his planned nine-acre stadium site in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood. A short walk from the Miami River, the two-block expanse would house a 25,000-seat soccer venue with an open roof and no parking garages.

Un-#######-believable.  Donnarumma & his agent Raiola have turned down AC Milan's extension, turning his back on the club that gave the precocious Judas his Serie A start at age 16.  "Why so bitter, Kafka?"... JuveMerda is the likely destination...REALLY?!?  After 400 yrs of Buffon in goal, soon as he retires the next great Italian goalie phenom replaces him for another twenty?

"God IS Dead." *

*or just enjoys trolling Roma

Edited by Kafka
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, LAUNCH said:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/15/antonio-conte-ready-to-walk-away-from-chelsea-if-four-key-demands-are-not-met-6712389/

Antonio Conte‘s Chelsea future is reportedly in doubt as he stalls on signing a new contract due to ongoing frustrations with the way the club is being run ahead of next season.

Off season fun??

FAKE NEWS

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kafka said:

Un-#######-believable.  Donnarumma & his agent Raiola have turned down AC Milan's extension, turning his back on the club that gave the precocious Judas his Serie A start at age 16.  "Why so bitter, Kafka?"... JuveMerda is the likely destination...REALLY?!?  After 400 yrs of Buffon in goal, soon as he retires the next great Italian goalie phenom replaces him for another twenty?

"God IS Dead." *

Which academy did he come through?

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

herculez gomez‏Verified account @herculezg

Andres Guardado to play for @LAFC next year.. 4 year deal per @espnsutcliffe on Fútbol Picante

Whoa. Amazing signing... one of my favorite ever Mex players (but screw him, really).

2 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Which academy did he come through?

Milan has been called his boyhood club, so I assume he came up through the academy.  But they're also offering something like 80,000 a week which is ridiculous for a teenager who is already considered a top 10 goaltender in the world.  Loyalty has its limits.

21 hours ago, Buzzbait said:

MLS is representin' this year I guess?  Think that's 13 of final 16?

14 hours ago, Kafka said:

"God IS Dead." *

I would laugh, but... you know.  Liverpool fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Milan has been called his boyhood club, so I assume he came up through the academy.  But they're also offering something like 80,000 a week which is ridiculous for a teenager who is already considered a top 10 goaltender in the world.  Loyalty has its limits.

He grew up in Napoli and spent 10 years at a small club there, according to wikipedia. He's been at Milan for 4 years, since he was 14, so I suppose its fair to call it his boyhood club. He did spend two years in the Milan academy before moving to the senior team the past two seasons. I don't buy into the romanticism of loyalty to a football club. I can appreciate stories like Totti, Terry and Gerrard, but I'm sure each of those guys could and would have moved to a different club if the circumstances were different. Milan is now owned by Chinese businessmen who certainly have no loyalty to any player. I understand its normal for Milan supporters to be pissed off about this, but really no one has any right to criticize the career decisions of an 18 year old.

2 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

So it sure sounds like Cristiano is serious about leaving Madrid/Spain (massive tax fraud cases tend to spoil the ambience, I guess).

I think he is serious about getting WAY more money to avoid paying taxes on.

1 minute ago, Jaysus said:

I think he is serious about getting WAY more money to avoid paying taxes on.

He's on nearly 300 pounds a week (I've seen 288 reported).  I guess one of the Chinese teams has offered him 120 million Euros a year.  But I'm not sure he could increase his wages that much anywhere in Europe. 

2 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Did anybody else see this weird story about Luka Modric? Currently embroiled in a corruption scandal and losing lots of his Croatian fans. I remember game announcers at the Euros last year calling him "Croatia's National Treasure."

Literally on the heels of a Man of the Match performance in the Champions League Final. 

I think it's a bit harsh on a guy who's probably just terrified.

• Like 1