What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

So it sure sounds like Cristiano is serious about leaving Madrid/Spain (massive tax fraud cases tend to spoil the ambience, I guess).
I'm starting to think maybe Spanish tax law is a little too complicated.  I have no doubt guys like Messi and CR7 try to pay the least amount possible but they have a lot to lose committing outright tax fraud.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I'm starting to think maybe Spanish tax law is a little too complicated.  I have no doubt guys like Messi and CR7 try to pay the least amount possible but they have a lot to lose committing outright tax fraud.
You'd think some magnate would buy up Young Boys or something and entice the top stars to the Swiss league.  Hey, want to pay 11% on that wage?

I love watching him play, maybe even more so on the national team because he's a lot more of the focus in that environment.
What's great about Modric is that he really grew into his role in Madrid.  Because his reputation was a bit below the Galatico level he had to earn his autostart status in the midfield (to be fair, Xabi Alonso had one spot on lockdown). But Kroos/Modric is the best CM pairing in the world by a massive margin. 

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
You'd think some magnate would buy up Young Boys or something and entice the top stars to the Swiss league.  Hey, want to pay 11% on that wage?
Not to mention FIFA has taught us that Swiss authorities aren't too worried about fraud or unreported income unless Loretta Lynch forces them.

That was my prediction when AS Monaco and its 0% income tax got a Russian billionaire owner 6 years ago. I guess its coming round now since they are the French champions and Champions League semi-finalists, but it didn't play out quite the way I expected.

I thought I read once (and I could be totally brain farting) that Monaco players are taxed as French as a condition of letting Monaco play in Ligue 1. 
I hadn't heard that... but I'm not the guy to look to for this kind of info.

I thought I read once (and I could be totally brain farting) that Monaco players are taxed as French as a condition of letting Monaco play in Ligue 1. 
There was some noise about this a few years ago but I think the League backed down.

Monaco's problem is they struggle to get even 10k in the stadium for home games and the brand has never caught on. Their revenues can't match PSG or other big clubs and won't let them spend as much as they need to under ffp.

Here is how it worked.

Because players in Monaco don't pay taxes, the other French teams obviously complained about the advantage.  To level the playing field, Monaco had to pay a large chunk of money to the league to stay level (kind of like a luxury tax in the NBA).

However, a court in France declared this deal illegal back in 2015 and cancelled the luxury tax.

So now Monaco has to deal with the same tax rule (75% of anything over 1 million) as the rest of Ligue 1. edit This part is wrong.  It looks like no taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
CletiusMaximus said:
He grew up in Napoli and spent 10 years at a small club there, according to wikipedia. He's been at Milan for 4 years, since he was 14, so I suppose its fair to call it his boyhood club. He did spend two years in the Milan academy before moving to the senior team the past two seasons. I don't buy into the romanticism of loyalty to a football club. I can appreciate stories like Totti, Terry and Gerrard, but I'm sure each of those guys could and would have moved to a different club if the circumstances were different. Milan is now owned by Chinese businessmen who certainly have no loyalty to any player. I understand its normal for Milan supporters to be pissed off about this, but really no one has any right to criticize the career decisions of an 18 year old.
You're a Chelsea fan, right?

Juan Quintero and his agent have been seen in Miami and now he is in NY with his agent (presumably going to MLS headquarters).

This would be a dynamite signing for the league.  24 year old Colombian that has already played (and scored) in the World Cup.

herculez gomez‏Verified account @herculezg

Andres Guardado to play for @LAFC next year.. 4 year deal per @espnsutcliffe on Fútbol Picante
Kevin Baxter ✔@kbaxter11

League source says #LAFC, Mexican int'l Andres Guardado have NOT reached terms on deal but are "very close" 

Seems like @shader has had a busy off-season - List of proposed changes being considered to Soccer rules

- A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.
Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

- Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded.

-  Additionally, it suggests match officials stop their watch:

• from a penalty being awarded to the spot-kick being taken
  • from a goal being scored until the match resumes from the kick-off
  • from asking an injured player if he requires treatment to play restarting
  • from the referee showing a yellow or red card to play resuming
  • from the signal of a substitution to play restarting
  • from a referee starting to pace a free-kick to when it is taken
- Which ideas are up for discussion?

This is where it gets interesting. One of the proposals would allow being able to dribble straight from a free-kick to "encourage attacking play as the player who is fouled can stop the ball and then immediately continue their dribble/attacking move". Other measures include:

• passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick
  • a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch
  • allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving
  • a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on
  • a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball
  • a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card
  • a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty
  • the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line
  • referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play
  • a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area

I"d like to see an official time-keeper... somebody who'd sit with the video ref and just keep track of time so the ref on the field doesn't have to pretend that he's just magically allotting a random amount of time the end. of course that wouldn't work with non-pro setups... but neither would video refs.

- A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.
Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play. STUPID

- Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded. HOW ABOUT YOU AWARD TROPHIES TO EVERYBODY TOO.

-  Additionally, it suggests match officials stop their watch: MATCH OFFICIALS AREN"T "STOPPING" THEIR WATCHES... IF THEY DID, THEY"D FORGET TO TURN THEM BACK ON.

from a penalty being awarded to the spot-kick being taken

from a goal being scored until the match resumes from the kick-off

from asking an injured player if he requires treatment to play restarting

from the referee showing a yellow or red card to play resuming

from the signal of a substitution to play restarting

from a referee starting to pace a free-kick to when it is taken

passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick HOW ABOUT THEY JUST PLAY WITH THEIR HANDS AND BE DONE WITH IT

a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch SEE ABOVE

allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving DON'T CARE

a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on STILL DRUNK

a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball YEAH... *OK*

a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card ... AND A TRIP THROUGH THE SPANKING MACHINE

a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty DUMB

the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line THE REF SHOULD JUST BE ALLOWED TO AWARD GOALS WHENEVER THE MOOD STRIKES

referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play DEAR MOTHER OF GOD

a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area BURMA

-  Additionally, it suggests match officials stop their watch: MATCH OFFICIALS AREN"T "STOPPING" THEIR WATCHES... IF THEY DID, THEY"D FORGET TO TURN THEM BACK ON.
:lmao:   this happened to me all the time when I was reffing - I'd be lucky if I had a vague idea when the match started, and I'd just let it run a "few" minutes or so after I thought 45 minutes was up.

I"d like to see an official time-keeper... somebody who'd sit with the video ref and just keep track of time so the ref on the field doesn't have to pretend that he's just magically allotting a random amount of time the end. of course that wouldn't work with non-pro setups... but neither would video refs. ?
it is ok if pro and non pro setups are different.

I would be extraordinarily happy with anything that gets rid of time wasting.  It is the single worst part of the sport and can be fixed so ### #### easily by simply stopping the clock.

Now I understand there will still be some stoppage in play to disrupt offensive flow and give breather to team that in bunkering but imo, it would remove 80% of the issues.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card ...
I don't get half of this one.  I am almost positive the rules state that if you stop a ball with your hand it is an automatic red

This is what wiki says

Law 12 of the Laws of the Game lists the categories of misconduct for which a player may be sent off. These are:

Serious foul play

Violent conduct

Spitting at an opponent or any other person

Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

Receiving a second caution in the same match[1]:39

I don't get half of this one.  I am almost positive the rules state that if you stop a ball with your hand it is an automatic red

This is what wiki says

Law 12 of the Laws of the Game lists the categories of misconduct for which a player may be sent off. These are:

Serious foul play

Violent conduct

Spitting at an opponent or any other person

Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

Receiving a second caution in the same match[1]:39
I think it is the "scoring by hand" that is the change.  

Id like to see three timeouts per half with the Manager walking out to midfield to speak with the players like they do in baseball.

I"d like to see an official time-keeper... somebody who'd sit with the video ref and just keep track of time so the ref on the field doesn't have to pretend that he's just magically allotting a random amount of time the end. of course that wouldn't work with non-pro setups... but neither would video refs.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play. STUPID

- Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded. HOW ABOUT YOU AWARD TROPHIES TO EVERYBODY TOO.

from a penalty being awarded to the spot-kick being taken

from a goal being scored until the match resumes from the kick-off

from asking an injured player if he requires treatment to play restarting

from the referee showing a yellow or red card to play resuming

from the signal of a substitution to play restarting

from a referee starting to pace a free-kick to when it is taken

passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick HOW ABOUT THEY JUST PLAY WITH THEIR HANDS AND BE DONE WITH IT

a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch SEE ABOVE

allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving DON'T CARE

a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on STILL DRUNK

a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball YEAH... *OK*

a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card ... AND A TRIP THROUGH THE SPANKING MACHINE

a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty DUMB

the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line THE REF SHOULD JUST BE ALLOWED TO AWARD GOALS WHENEVER THE MOOD STRIKES

referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play DEAR MOTHER OF GOD

a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area BURMA
Drunk Floppo is the best Floppo.

Only change needed: you get hurry and need to leave the field? You stay off for a minimum of 5 minutes or you can be subbed immediately.
that does not to address goal kicks that take 45 seconds, throwins that take 30 seconds, subs that take over a minute to get off the field, or injury time being one of the easiest points of corruption for a ref.

Users who are viewing this thread