What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

What a HUGE statement this is for their bid.   When the networks start to notice something special is going on, that is going to be a big bullet point in their presentations to MLS.   Note, this is a competition where the final is rarely broadcast by anyone.  To get a round of 16 game nationally broadcast is unheard of for the Open Cup.

I bolded a section below for those that might be going.  Hope you guys pack the place again!

=======================================

CINCINNATI, OH --- FC Cincinnati’s chase for the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup next Wed., June 28, will continue on the national stage with the Orange and Blue’s match against Major League Soccer side Chicago Fire SC tabbed to be broadcast live on ESPN2 and streamed on the ESPN app. With the national broadcast, kickoff has been moved to 8:00 p.m. ET.

“We are thrilled and it is a testament to our fans and this city that our match against Chicago Fire SC has been selected to be an ESPN broadcast,” said Jeff Berding, FCC President and General Manager. “It certainly was an electric atmosphere against Columbus Crew and we have no doubt that our fans will represent the Queen City again by creating another phenomenal atmosphere at Nippert Stadium. We look forward to showing off our great city as the hottest new soccer market to the rest of country next Wednesday.”

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Off season facts are the best facts: with John Terry's departure, Tomáš Kalas is the only Chelsea player whose surname can be spelled with only one row of the keyboard.

Every time I see his name, it helps me ratchet back on my Pulisic hype.
He and De Gea was all that was good under Moyes.  Its too bad too since he showed great promise. Wonder if his last min inclusion in the WC for Belgium after a good 6 months ruined him? Followed by the rigid structure of LVG.  Reports are his attitude is poor, may be hes a bit entitled. 

Early research indicates that Saints new manager is able to display a fierce countenance when necessary. And had sometimes worn a 1960s-ish headband during his playing days. I am encouraged. Then again, there is a taint of Liverpool in his coaching past.

Last edited by a moderator:
MLS is roughly the halfway point now.  Here are two tidbits I saw online

* Chicago and Toronto are both at or above a 2 ppg pace.  No team has finished the season at that level since 2005

* In the overall table, 6 of the 7 bottom teams right now made the playoffs last year.

yikes.   Timmy Chandler would not like this.

===============

Portland Timbers‏Verified account @TimbersFC

Thanks again to @MLS and @espn for moving #PORvSEA kick to help ensure safety of players, supporters + staff. Current field temp 168 #RCTID

Was just about to come and post about Atlanta - they are in a good spot if they can stay in or near the playoffs the next two months - 8 of their last 10 are at home.

During the recent Philly DC game, Acosta for DC fouled a Philly player and was shown a straight red card, which seemed harsh.

But then the Philly player who was fouled told the ref that he was only pushed and not kicked.  

The ref then rescinded the red card, and did not even issue a yellow.

Tommy Smyth was doing the color and he said that after calling 1000's of games in his career that was the first time he ever saw a red card rescinded on the spot.

During the recent Philly DC game, Acosta for DC fouled a Philly player and was shown a straight red card, which seemed harsh.

But then the Philly player who was fouled told the ref that he was only pushed and not kicked.  

Tommy Smyth was doing the color and he said that after calling 1000's of games in his career that was the first time he ever saw a red card rescinded on the spot.
amazing... wish more guys did this.

I vaguely remember seeing a highlight of game in the last few years where a PK was awarded, and the attacking player let the ref know it wasn't.

That was Medunjanin - dude has been a big boost to the midfield. :thumbup:    http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-union/honest-haris-medunjanin-gets-dc-united-red-card-rescinded-fair-play

Bedoya probably punched him in the locker room after that.  

I vaguely remember seeing a highlight of game in the last few years where a PK was awarded, and the attacking player let the ref know it wasn't.
in a sport where it is ingrained in players to cheat the refs, it really takes someone of high character to do this because you just know his teammates and coaches behind closed doors are going to give him a ton of #### for possibly costing them points (and more importantly money if they are on win bonuses).

in a sport where it is ingrained in players to cheat the refs, it really takes someone of high character to do this because you just know his teammates and coaches behind closed doors are going to give him a ton of #### for possibly costing them points (and more importantly money if they are on win bonuses).
lol... ok- it wasn't in the last few years.

fowler for liverpool gets taken down by arsenal's seaman... or did he?

green cards for who? figured they're always looking for investments, and what better investment than an NASL team.
The whole...invest 500K and get a green card EB-1 green card scam.  I mean what the hell does Hazard know about North county San Diego (besides being a whale's ######).

The whole...invest 500K and get a green card EB-1 green card scam.  I mean what the hell does Hazard know about North county San Diego (besides being a whale's ######).
oh right... the chinese buying every apartment in the city green card thing. stupid of me to whoosh on that.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

=============================

Richard Conway‏Verified account @richard_conway

German paper Bild claim they have copy of Garcia Report - the unpublished Fifa inquiry into 2018/22 World Cup bids. Potentially explosive.

Richard Conway‏Verified account @richard_conway  3h3 hours ago

Understand Bild will start publishing details tomorrow. First topic? Qatar.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

=============================

Richard Conway‏Verified account @richard_conway

German paper Bild claim they have copy of Garcia Report - the unpublished Fifa inquiry into 2018/22 World Cup bids. Potentially explosive.

Richard Conway‏Verified account @richard_conway  3h3 hours ago

Understand Bild will start publishing details tomorrow. First topic? Qatar.
For years the so called "Garcia-Report" from FIFA was held hidden. I'm happy to say that we finally have access to this 430 page report and we will report on it in a series. In a nutshell: There is no concrete evidence that Russia 2018 or Qatar 2022 was bought, but especially with Qatar there are so many signs for corruption, that another conclusion is barely possible. A picture of greed, corruption and cover-ups. The discussion around Qatar will have to start again...

Jonathan Tannenwald‏ @thegoalkeeper

Breaking: @FOXSoccer & Facebook announce a deal to livestream a slate of UEFA Champions League games on the platform in the 2017/18 season

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc-announces-new-premier-league-pass-top-service-eliminates-extra-time-streaming.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As NBC moves into their fifth season holding America’s Premier League broadcast rights, their coverage will be changing a bit for the 2017-18 season. The network announced the introduction of the Premier League Pass for this season, a $49.99 over the top service that would allow fans to watch 130 live Premier League matches and other on demand programming

No more extra live.  Horrible decision by NBC.

http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc-announces-new-premier-league-pass-top-service-eliminates-extra-time-streaming.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As NBC moves into their fifth season holding America’s Premier League broadcast rights, their coverage will be changing a bit for the 2017-18 season. The network announced the introduction of the Premier League Pass for this season, a $49.99 over the top service that would allow fans to watch 130 live Premier League matches and other on demand programming

Wow, this sucks.  EPL on DirecTV was a stellar value and a real bright spot among sports programming.

:(

Wow, like others have said, Extra Live was a fantastic package.    I guess they need to find a way to make some of the rights fees back since I assume they were running Extra Live at a loss.

It looks like this change hurts both traditional viewers and cord cutters alike.  Bummer.

The 250 Premier League games that will be airing on NBC’s TV outlets will not be available for live streaming with the Premier League Pass, meaning that for their $50, cord-cutters are only getting just over one-third of the total games this season.

I didn't quite understand what they were doing until I read this part of the article.  Way to go, greedy mofo's.

There’s no way around this – if you’re a cable subscriber, you lose with the Premier League Pass, especially if you’re a fan of a club that wasn’t on TV all that much this season (sorry, Stoke City fans!). If you’re a Premier League fan that’s already cut the cord, you can pay your $50 for the Premier League Pass, but you won’t be getting every match – in fact, you might only have access to something like a quarter of your favorite club’s matches.

Stuck in the middle are the soccer fans with a cable subscription that want to cut the cord. Do you plunk down the cash for the Premier League Pass, knowing you’re going to likely lose out on a fair chunk of your team’s matches, and dump your cable subscription? Or do you stay the course with cable and save your $50, coming to the realization that you won’t be able to watch every match anymore?

The third option is what NBC wants – for you to keep your cable subscription *and* pay for the Premier League Pass. The season is nine months long, so your $50 is really just a little more than $5 a month! That’s a steal of a deal, right? RIGHT?!?!

I didn't quite understand what they were doing until I read this part of the article.  Way to go, greedy mofo's.
It makes sense (I think) if you view it as a price increase and a step toward introducing a streaming product. For me, I guess I pay $50 to get the same thing I got last year, probably with a bit of hassle in terms of managing two different sources.  The main concern I have now is whether games will be available on delay, as was the case with the NBC Live app.

Also, I watch Premiership Rugby on the NBC Live App, so am curious what will happen with that coverage.

:help: :whoosh:

Ok, I must be tired, I am not comprehending what NBC is doing.  So for anyone with a tv subscription (Directv, Dish, Cable, etc) does this mean they will no longer show every game every week as they have?  

Can someone just tell me what this means for me on Directv?

:help: :whoosh:

Ok, I must be tired, I am not comprehending what NBC is doing.  So for anyone with a tv subscription (Directv, Dish, Cable, etc) does this mean they will no longer show every game every week as they have?  

Can someone just tell me what this means for me on Directv?
For Directv, I'm guessing we'll still get all the games on NBC, NBCSports, CNBC, USA, etc. but not the games on channels 490-499.  

For Directv, I'm guessing we'll still get all the games on NBC, NBCSports, CNBC, USA, etc. but not the games on channels 490-499.  
so if for some reason United is on what was formerly extra (490-499) then I am sol.   :rant:
Unless you want to pay $50.  In this case being a fan of United, Chelski, Spurs, Pool, Arsenal or City will be an advantage.  I assume, because those teams have a bigger following/better teams and therefore will be on featured games more regularly.

Unless you want to pay $50.  In this case being a fan of United, Chelski, Spurs, Pool, Arsenal or City will be an advantage.  I assume, because those teams have a bigger following/better teams and therefore will be on featured games more regularly.
thanks.  Not sure why I wasn't following in the article.

Users who are viewing this thread