What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

LAUNCH said:
http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/nbc-announces-new-premier-league-pass-top-service-eliminates-extra-time-streaming.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As NBC moves into their fifth season holding America’s Premier League broadcast rights, their coverage will be changing a bit for the 2017-18 season. The network announced the introduction of the Premier League Pass for this season, a $49.99 over the top service that would allow fans to watch 130 live Premier League matches and other on demand programming

No more extra live.  Horrible decision by NBC.
First they removed the on demand feature. Now you can't stream for free. #### suckers!

Poke_4_Life said:
Unless you want to pay $50.  In this case being a fan of United, Chelski, Spurs, Pool, Arsenal or City will be an advantage.  I assume, because those teams have a bigger following/better teams and therefore will be on featured games more regularly.
I think that makes sense.

All teams will have at least 3 games that are only on the streaming service.  Some teams will likely have many more.

@Kafka to the Tyrian purple courtesy phone please.

From ESPN FC's rumors story this morning:

Kostas Manolas and Leandro Paredes to Zenit St. Petersburg: 75 percent

After Mohamed Salah, Roma could cash in on two more of their most appealing assets to ensure new sporting director Monchi has the resources to build the squad as he sees fit. Although Manolas has been linked to Inter and Premier League clubs and Paredes has been a target for Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund, both players will likely sign with Zenit for around €65 million. They would join Roberto Mancini, a manager who has developed a reputation as a great recruiter in the transfer market.

I don't get selling Manolas when the team already has issues on defense. Seems like a guy to build around. Also, him going to Zenit seems like a waste when other, actually relevant clubs could use a guy like him.

Taylor Twellman‏Verified account @TaylorTwellman

BREAKING: @usopencup tonight has moved to ESPN at 8pmET. @fccincinnati host @ChicagoFire in a Round of 16 matchup
Just read the same.

Two things will be very interesting:

1) FCC played a 3-5-2 against Columbus which isn't a formation they typically use (might have even been a first?).

2) FCC has a pretty important league match against Orlando City B on Sunday. Will Koch opt for a rotation to keep some players fresh for Sunday or throw the kitchen sink at Chicago and play all studs? IMO this is a rare opportunity and I think FCC needs to go all out against Chicago. To heck with Sunday.

Just read the same.

1) FCC played a 3-5-2 against Columbus which isn't a formation they typically use (might have even been a first?).

2) FCC has a pretty important league match against Orlando City B on Sunday. Will Koch opt for a rotation to keep some players fresh for Sunday or throw the kitchen sink at Chicago and play all studs? IMO this is a rare opportunity and I think FCC needs to go all out against Chicago. To heck with Sunday.
I have to think you are correct on the second point.  From a multi point organization view it makes sense to put out the best team you can.  Chicago can't put out a full team even if they wanted to because of the international callups, so FCC should look at this as a real chance to advance.

I read they are expecting another 30k+ crowd.  Should be fun to watch.

Well it now official...sigh...Mo Salah! signs with Liverpool.  First Totti, now Salah.  KNWA: "Kafka Now Walks Alone"

I usually abhor players who use Roma as a stepping stone (knowing full well that's the hard reality, but #### all that!), but not this gent.

@The Gator, @Dinsy Ejotuz, @shader et al; I hope he works out well for you wankers,  you don't deserve it, but he does  ;)

#Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness#
:clearsthroat: "ahem"......

@Kafka to the Tyrian purple courtesy phone please.

From ESPN FC's rumors story this morning:

I don't get selling Manolas when the team already has issues on defense. Seems like a guy to build around. Also, him going to Zenit seems like a waste when other, actually relevant clubs could use a guy like him.
I only saw Roma a couple times, but in those games my uninformed opinion was that Paredes was the best guy out there for Roma. He's pretty young, would be surprised if they dumped him and more surprised that he would go to Zenit.

the linchpin of Inter's CL success might be on his to LAFC.... shouldn't be mentioned in the same marketing breath as becks, but might still be a fun guy for the league. I've always been a fan.

Los Angeles FC, the expansion team due to enter the MLS in 2018, is close to agreeing a two-year deal for Wesley Sneijder to become its first Designated Player, sources have told ESPN FC.

Netherlands midfielder Sneijder, currently with Turkish club Galatasaray, has been offered a contract worth $3.5 million-a-year to move to the under-construction Banc of California Stadium.

Senior management at LAFC believe that the capture of the former Ajax, Real Madrid and Inter Milan star will deliver a clear statement of intent of the club's determination to become a new powerhouse in the MLS.

Sneijder, 33, still has 12 months to run on his contract with Galatasaray, but with LAFC not due to start its MLS campaign until March, Sneijder would remain in Istanbul for the remainder of 2017 before moving to Los Angeles in the new year.

ESPN FC reported in November that LAFC was chasing players of a "global stature," similar to LA Galaxy's capture of David Beckham from Real Madrid in 2007, to enable the club to make its mark on and off the pitch in the crowded American sporting landscape.

Wesley Sneijder could be the first major star to commit to the LAFC project.

With New York City FC recruiting Andrea Pirlo, David Villa and Frank Lampard since launching as an expansion team in 2015, LAFC is keen to follow a similar path in order to have a squad able to challenge for success in its first campaign in the MLS next year.

Manchester United forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic had been a leading target prior to the Swede sustaining a knee ligament injury in April, which is expected to rule him out of action until January at the earliest.

But efforts to capture Sneijder have progressed well and the Dutch playmaker is now close to becoming the first star name to commit to the LAFC project.

Sneijder became the all-time most-capped Dutch player with his 131st international appearance in Netherlands' World Cup qualifier earlier this month. He has played at the last three World Cups.

the linchpin of Inter's CL success might be on his to LAFC.... shouldn't be mentioned in the same marketing breath as becks, but might still be a fun guy for the league. I've always been a fan.
One of those players I've really liked despite usually being on teams I don't.  Would be cool to see him in MLS

I'm sure it got mentioned in that liverpoo thread, but who the hell goes in there. 

6 people to face charges for hillsborough.

Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield, former chief constable Sir Norman Bettison and four other individuals have been charged with offences relating to the Hillsborough disaster, the Crown Prosecution Service has said.

Sue Hemming, head of the special crime and counterterrorism division, said Duckenfield has been charged with the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 of the 96 Liverpool FC fans who died at the FA Cup semifinal in 1989, and Bettison has been charged with four counts of misconduct in public office.

Former South Yorkshire Police officers Donald Denton and Alan Foster, as well as force solicitor Peter Metcalf, are charged with doing acts with intent to pervert the course of justice, and former Sheffield Wednesday secretary Graham Mackrell is charged with three offences relating to health and safety and safety at sports grounds.

Ms Hemming said a further file from the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) on the conduct of West Midlands Police still needs "additional investigative work."

She added: "Additionally, just this week, the IPCC has referred two further suspects which are unconnected to the matters sent to us in January; these subjects are subject to ongoing consideration by the CPS. We will announce our decisions in due course. 

"The suspects referred to the CPS included individuals and organisations. Following these thorough investigations and our careful review of the evidence in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, I have decided there is sufficient evidence to charge six individuals with criminal offences."

All the defendants, except Duckenfield, will appear at Warrington Magistrates' Court on Aug. 8.

Duckenfield was not at home at his bungalow in Ferndown, Dorset, when the charges were announced.

Barry Devonside, whose son Christopher, 18, was killed in the disaster, pumped his fist as he emerged from the meeting with the lawyers and other relatives of the 96.

He said: "Everybody applauded when it was announced that the most senior police officer on that particular day will have charges presented to him."

A spokesman for Sheffield Wednesday said the club had no comment to make.

Current South Yorkshire Police chief constable Stephen Watson said: "Decisions concerning the bringing of criminal charges are rightly for the CPS.

"Given that criminal proceedings are now active, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further for fear of jeopardising this important process in any way.

"In all of this however, our thoughts are with the Hillsborough families as we reflect on the appalling tragedy that is Hillsborough with the loss of so many innocent lives."

Assistant commissioner Rob Beckley, in charge of Operation Resolve, said the decision to prosecute came "after the most detailed and substantial investigation there has ever been into the Hillsborough disaster."

Beckley said his team's investigation has seen more than 17,000 lines of inquiry and has taken more than 11,000 statements from police officers, spectators, emergency personnel and officials from different organisations.

"From our inquiries we referred 12 individuals and three organisations to the CPS for them to consider whether any of these 15 should face criminal action," Beckley said. "It was important to us that the CPS were an arbiter of our investigation, applying independent judgment in relation to possible offences.

Operation Resolve will continue to work with the Crown Prosecution Service in preparation for legal proceedings, he said.

"Our work under the Police Reform Act and the allegations of police misconduct remains ongoing and, whilst the criminal prosecutions are foremost in our mind, the publishing of these reports is a very important task for us as they provide a detailed account of the actions of the police on the day," Beckley said.

"We will continue to meet with families of the bereaved and, where appropriate, support and assist them where possible. It is hugely important for me to stress the need for people to respect the criminal process that awaits us."

IPCC deputy chairman Rachel Cerfontyne said, "The CPS has announced charging decisions on six of the eight suspects formally referred by the IPCC in January this year. We have also referred a further two individuals.

"We will be working closely with the CPS on the prosecution case and will provide any further assistance necessary while decisions on the remaining IPCC files are under consideration.

"Following criminal proceedings, we will consider whether any former police officers, including all of those referred to the CPS for a charging decision, would have had cases to answer for misconduct if they were still serving. The evidence supporting these findings will be set out in the final investigation report."

Prime Minister Theresa May welcomed the decision by the CPS and praised the "absolutely exemplary" campaign by the Hillsborough families and others.

She said: "Obviously today will be a day of really mixed emotions for them, but I welcome the fact that charging decisions have been taken. I think that is an important step forward."

At Prime Minister's Questions, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: "This prosecution, the inquiry and this development only happened because of the incredible work done by the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, [Manchester Mayor] Andy Burnham, [Liverpool Mayor] Steve Rotheram and other colleagues around this House.

"I think we should pay tribute to all of those that spent a great deal of time trying to ensure there was justice for those that died at Hillsborough."

Just read the same.

FCC's #1 scoring threat (Djiby Fall) on bench with ankle sprain. Weideman is another key player not in the starting XI. 

Not the ideal lineup. They're are going to have to defend well & catch Chicago napping on a counter. 

FCC's #1 scoring threat (Djiby Fall) on bench with ankle sprain. Weideman is another key player not in the starting XI. 

Not the ideal lineup. They're are going to have to defend well & catch Chicago napping on a counter. 
Chicago fielded an excellent lineup tonight even with the international players missing.  They look dominant so far but we have all seen games like this where one team dominates and can't score and gets caught on a counter.  Cincy needs to get to half 0-0 to have a hope IMO given how things are going.

Can't believe he is "only" 33...it seems that he (& his arsenal of lethal FKs) has been around forever.

Chicago fielded an excellent lineup tonight even with the international players missing.  They look dominant so far but we have all seen games like this where one team dominates and can't score and gets caught on a counter.  Cincy needs to get to half 0-0 to have a hope IMO given how things are going.
Agree. Both that Chicago has a very good lineup despite international players missing & that so far they are dominating. FCC has fielded a very conservative lineup & seems to be holding back for league play this weekend (excluding Djiby Fall who is out with an injury). Disappointed that they seem to be holding back & not going all out. 

All that said it's a packed house & the crowd is in to it. 

P.S. I'm telling you... this is the MLS team Miami deserves. Sorry Beckham... maybe to can get in on that San Diego bid?

Chicago still the better team but the gap has closed considerably. FCC has gone from defending for their lives to putting together some decent attacks.

I wonder what a road trip to Cincinnati for a USL game on a Wednesday night in July would be like? Is this type of crowd always there?? Do they even play at the same stadium? PS I'm totally down for a road trip.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I wonder what a road trip to Cincinnati for a USL game on a Wednesday night in July would be like? Is this type of crowd always there?? Do they even play at the same stadium? PS I'm totally down for a road trip.
yes this is their normal stadium.  They average around ~19k in the USL (which is a combination of weekday and weekend games)

Yes & yes. This is the current home stadium (University of Cincinnati football) & while they don't usually draw 30k it's always a very good crowd. 

Note: They unveiled plans for a soccer only stadium two weeks ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread