What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

The Chargers have spent millions of dollars upgrading Stub Hub Center.  Upgrades that the Galaxy will benefit from for years to come after the Chargers move out.

I saw a tweet showing the Galaxy drew more to their Saturday game than the Chargers did to their Sunday preseason game. Sure it is just preseason, but still it is the NFL.
he wasn't perfect and looked a little bit of an outsider... but Jon de Santos had flashes of looking indomitable. it's incredible how much field he covers and how quickly- works so hard defensively closing space and then has top level skills to go with it. but looked completely out of sync with his teammates trying to find them with passes. which will of course change as he gets used to his new teammates.

I just don't understand the fascination with taking your shirt off after a goal.  Its an automatic yellow and you are putting yourself in the hands of the ref for a 2nd yellow.  CR7 gets a yellow for diving.  Whether he did or not, and most reports are he didnt dive and Suarez did and got a PK, the ref gave it to him.  It wouldnt have been as big a deal aside from the did he or suarez dive debate, if he hadnt got the completely avoidable 1st card for his shirt.

:confused:
He was trying to emulate the celebration Messi had after scoring the winning goal in April's Classico. 

I don't think either was a dive as there was certain contact, but they shouldn't have been penalties either.

He was trying to emulate the celebration Messi had after scoring the winning goal in April's Classico. 

I don't think either was a dive as there was certain contact, but they shouldn't have been penalties either.
Oh I get what Ronaldo was doing, but I see a lot of guys taking their shirt off and then getting sent off for a late tackle or a bad call by the ref.  I just dont get why you would put it in the hands of the ref by granting him an easy booking so your real one later causing major issues.

I haven't seen a good video of either.  Just reports I have heard were that Suarez dove, Ronaldo did not.  And Ronaldo's wasnt a pk, or a foul, just should have been a goal kick.

I just don't understand the fascination with taking your shirt off after a goal.  Its an automatic yellow and you are putting yourself in the hands of the ref for a 2nd yellow.  CR7 gets a yellow for diving.  Whether he did or not, and most reports are he didnt dive and Suarez did and got a PK, the ref gave it to him.  It wouldnt have been as big a deal aside from the did he or suarez dive debate, if he hadnt got the completely avoidable 1st card for his shirt.

:confused:
If I had CR's physique I'd never put a shirt on.  And I'd put a restraining order out against Gator.

I kept saying last year that Pogba was creating a lot of opportunities for himself and just missing. always had the feeling that if some of those went in, he'd have been off to a totally different season with some big numbers. maybe this year unlocks that potential? I think we all said over the summer what a potentially great pairing he and Matic could be... man- looks like it.
He hit the woodwork 9 times.  Was in the top few of chances created but because of the misses didn't get the assists he should have.  Despite the narrative put out there he was one of the top midfielders in the EPL last season (sqwaka had him top 5). 

Matic is a combo of Herrera and Carrick. I think he will be a great compliment to Pogba and allow him, Herrera, Mkhi, Mata to all get forward and be creative with support behind them.

https://twitter.com/skysports_bryan/status/897201164357337088?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Premier League clubs to discuss proposed introduction of new summer transfer window - closing before first game of next season. "Majority" PL clubs currently favour early closure of summer window. Some concerns re. competitive disadvantage with Euro leagues. Premier League club talks - and possible vote - next month only related to summer window. Transfers in January unaffected.

Cristiano given a 5-match ban for pushing the Ref after the Red card.  
also got like a $1500 fine. Hopefully he can write it off his taxes

Just reports I have heard were that Suarez dove, Ronaldo did not.
Neither was a dive. Suarez drew contact but the ball was gone so it was a bad pk decision. There was contact on Ronaldo as well and he lost his balance. He acted like an ### and waved his arms about though so maybe that sort of histionics are being cracked down upon

Matic is a combo of Herrera and Carrick. I think he will be a great compliment to Pogba and allow him, Herrera, Mkhi, Mata to all get forward and be creative with support behind them.
I almost feel bad for Herrera - he did an admirable job playing that role last year and I thought he was really good all season.  I think he's  more natural as CAM and not that role.  There should be plenty of games so he'll get his chance but I already see him down the pecking order - if only Fellaini could be sold to free up minutes for him (and Carrick).

It does suck for Herrera.  He was Player of the Year last year and now finds himself 4th in the pecking order.  My guess is he'll start ahead of Fellaini when Jose plays a 3 man mid.  That said, seeing Fellaini, Pogba, and Matic on the field at the same time is just beastly. I love it.

AAABatteries said:
I almost feel bad for Herrera - he did an admirable job playing that role last year and I thought he was really good all season.  I think he's  more natural as CAM and not that role.  There should be plenty of games so he'll get his chance but I already see him down the pecking order - if only Fellaini could be sold to free up minutes for him (and Carrick).
He did a great job last year.  I can see him working in to give Matic, Mata, Mkhi breaks now and again.  With CL, EPL, EEL, FA Cup there will be chances for a lot of players to play and United might be deep enough to go for multiple trophies (I don't think CL has a big chance)

And yes, sell Fellaini.  No reason he should have been first off the bench. Or on the team.

Bonzai said:
It does suck for Herrera.  He was Player of the Year last year and now finds himself 4th in the pecking order.  My guess is he'll start ahead of Fellaini when Jose plays a 3 man mid.  That said, seeing Fellaini, Pogba, and Matic on the field at the same time is just beastly. I love it.
Absolutely no reason for you to love this, unless you like two great players and a guy that commits fouls.  He just isnt good enough for what this team has the potential to do.  So many better options then Fellaini and all of them fit better.  There is nothing that Fellaini can do that someone else on the team is not better at plus adds more to the game.  Except maybe the chest trap, give away pass, then foul trifecta.

We're all aware of your feelings on Fellaini.  No love at all for seeing these giants run around bossing the midfield?  It's not what I want to see all the time, but I enjoyed what I saw.

We're all aware of your feelings on Fellaini.  No love at all for seeing these giants run around bossing the midfield?  It's not what I want to see all the time, but I enjoyed what I saw.
Yes I know, I've made it quite clear.  

And with 9 field players listed over 6'2 they can field quite a team of giants.  So Fellaini is tall.  And this game he was fine and did no harm.  Which is the best you can hope for with him.  

But their size isnt what bossed the MF. Pogba and Matic's skill and play bossed the MF.

Transfer rumors seem to be heating up for the PL after the first match week.  

:popcorn:
You'd have to expect to see Chelsea splash some cash considering how things went.  While it's not possible to have a must win league game this early, if they get thumped by Spurs it really makes things interesting for Conte.  

Here's the list of potential stadiums for WC '26.  This caught my eye:

The 49 stadiums represent a wide spectrum of facilities, including stadiums for soccer and football as well as domed and retractable roof stadiums. All stadiums are required to have at least 40,000 seats for group stage matches, and a capacity of at least 80,000 to be considered for the Opening Match and the Final.
The only US locations that meet that criteria are Met Life (NYC), the two Dallas stadiums, FedEx field (DC), Lambeau Field (not going there), and the Rose Bowl along with Azteca.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/08/15/15/11/20170815-news-wc2026-united-bid-committee-commences-outreach-for-potential-host-cities

You'd have to expect to see Chelsea splash some cash considering how things went.  While it's not possible to have a must win league game this early, if they get thumped by Spurs it really makes things interesting for Conte.  
We joke - but lose to Spurs and Everton, and Chelsea are out of the title race before September. (assuming Spurs, United and City all win 3 matches)

I expect that Chelsea will not lose both of their next matches - but I hope they lose this week :oldunsure:

Here's the list of potential stadiums for WC '26.  This caught my eye:

The only US locations that meet that criteria are Met Life (NYC), the two Dallas stadiums, FedEx field (DC), Lambeau Field (not going there), and the Rose Bowl along with Azteca.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/08/15/15/11/20170815-news-wc2026-united-bid-committee-commences-outreach-for-potential-host-cities
I could see maybe giving the opening match to Mexico City, and the Final to be at AT&T stadium in Dallas.

We joke - but lose to Spurs and Everton, and Chelsea are out of the title race before September. (assuming Spurs, United and City all win 3 matches)

I expect that Chelsea will not lose both of their next matches - but I hope they lose this week :oldunsure:
I don't know if I believe they would be out of it - but it definitely wouldn't help and would put some pressure on Conte.

Or maybe it's the curse of JT. 

I don't know if I believe they would be out of it - but it definitely wouldn't help and would put some pressure on Conte.

Or maybe it's the curse of JT. 
I think they can make up 9 points on one team, but making up 9 points on 3 teams would be harder - given that two of those teams have spent about £1B this summer...

I don't expect them to lose both games, but odd turmoil coming out of the club...

Yeah - I specifically didn't say anything like that because it's nonsense - I just see zero chance they don't spend.  But they were spendIng no matter what - it just writes the narrative now.
I think you're probably right, but I have no idea what the club needs or wants. Last season, they started very poorly, then bought Alonso and Luiz on August 31.  I was dumbfounded as usual, but those two ended up playing almost 3000 minutes each. I personally don't think any more players are needed, but who knows what injuries they might have?

There will definitely be widespread reports of a crisis if they lose at Spurs, which seems likely. I think it will be a great game, but unfortunately will be camping with my son and almost certainly won't (hopefully won't) have any signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, I don't even remember that. lol.  I grew up playing against him in club, then again in college.  He's no freddie adu though.
I'm probably confusing you with someone else. I thought it was you who always passionately hated seeing Frankie in the teamsheet for the US Men.

I'm probably confusing you with someone else. I thought it was you who always passionately hated seeing Frankie in the teamsheet for the US Men.
Was probably me but not sure passionately is the right word.  Recall not being a fan of his but not to the extent of Fellaini.   Just felt like he was one we should have been able to improve on.  He has speed but never sure what else he brought to the table. To be fair he may have proved me wrong with his play.

I think you're probably right, but have no idea what the club needs or wants. Last season, they started very poorly, then bought Alonso and Luiz on August 31.  I was dumbfounded as usual, but those two ended up playing almost 3000 minutes each. I personally don't think any more players are needed, but who knows what injuries they might have?

There will definitely be widespread reports of a crisis if they lose at Spurs, which seems likely. I think it will be a great game, but unfortunately will be camping with my son and almost certainly won't (hopefully won't) have any signal.
I think they need a little depth - particularly at WB and CM if they are going to be competitive in the League and CL.

I did see that Hazard and Bakayoko were training today...could be welcome relief on Sunday.

this is an overlap of threads... I'll start here for the reds fans.

like the backhanded slap at cutey.

also like how he incorporates the word "soccer" into the interview... its' a small thing, but I like that approach- "our soccer"- when discussing the US, rather than just saying football or just soccer.

given the news about shirley, that's even less competition for him getting minutes once he's back fully healthy.

U.S. international Christian Pulisic has said he is happy at Borussia Dortmund amid renewed rumours he could join Liverpool.

Following his breakthrough season at Dortmund, Pulisic has once again been linked with Liverpool, who made an attempt to sign the winger last year. 

However, Pulisic -- who signed a new contract in January -- has said he has no intention of leaving the Westfalenstadion at this stage.

Asked about the Liverpool speculation, the 18-year-old told Sport Bild: "Yes, I have read that as well. What can I say? I'm focused on the start of the season.

"I'll lay it on the line for you: I am not thinking about changing clubs. After all, I only signed a new deal through to 2020 in January. I am very happy at Dortmund."

Pulisic played in 43 competitive games for Dortmund last season, scoring five goals and providing 13 assists.

He has enjoyed even greater success for United States, scoring seven goals in 15 appearances, with five of those strikes coming in World Cup qualifiers.

"Football might not be the biggest sport in America, but the popularity of our soccer keeps growing," he said. "It would be fantastic if I could contribute my part to inspire kids to play football."

Meanwhile, Dortmund attacker Andre Schurrle is set for a month-long spell on the sidelines.

BVB announced on Wednesday that the Germany international "sustained a muscle tear in his thigh and because of this injury will need to rest for four weeks."

Going into the new Bundesliga season, Schurrle's injury limits coach Peter Bosz's options in attack even more.

Dortmund are already without suspended winger Ousmane Dembele and Germany international Marco Reus, while Emre Mor, whose transfer to Inter has collapsed for now, could compete for a place in BVB's attack with €20 million signing Maximilian Philipp and Pulisic.

So I went to Dodger stadium last night for a game.  Of the friends we went with, one is a Newcastle fan.  Get to our seats and the guy sitting next to me is wearing an Alexis Sanchez Arsenal jersey. At least he wasnt full kit....

Users who are viewing this thread