What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

la gals the new most valuable team in mls...

The LA Galaxy have taken over the top spot from the Seattle Sounders in Forbes' annual ranking of MLS team valuations.

Thanks to broadcast and stadium rights deals that are the highest in the league, the Galaxy's valuation came out to $315 million, a 19 percent increase from 2016.

The club's revenue of $63m was $10m more than Seattle, which dropped to second place, checking in at an estimated worth of $295m.

There was little movement throughout the rest of the top five. Toronto FC ($280m) moved up one spot to third place, New York City FC ($275m) fell one spot to fourth, while Orlando City ($272m) remained in fifth.

The LA Galaxy's valuation jumped 19 percent from last year.

Ironically, Toronto and NYCFC tied for the worst mark in the league in terms of operating income, with both organizations losing $9m.

The average valuation for MLS teams is now calculated to be $232m, up 20 percent from 2016.

Forbes' calculations didn't include expansion teams Atlanta United -- which is averaging a league-high 46,318 fans per game for its home matches -- and Minnesota United due to the fact that they have yet to record a full year of financials.

Columbus Crew SC finished last in terms of valuation at $130m. The Colorado Rapids recorded the lowest annual revenue in the league at $19m.

la gals the new most valuable team in mls...
even though LA is more valuable than Seattle, the fact that Seattle is that close and have no huge asset like a stadium as part of their valuation is really impressive.  With out the Stub Hub Center, LA would be worth far less than Seattle IMO.

I am assuming the stadium is part of the valuation but I could be wrong....I did not see a definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
even though LA is more valuable than Seattle, the fact that Seattle is that close and have no huge asset like a stadium as part of their valuation is really impressive.  With out the Stub Hub Center, LA would be worth far less than Seattle IMO.

I am assuming the stadium is part of the valuation but I could be wrong....I did not see a definition.
At least as of about 10 years ago, the Forbes' club valuations were notoriously unreliable and considered useless for any practical purpose such as lending, M&A, financial reporting.

At least as of about 10 years ago, the Forbes' club valuations were notoriously unreliable and considered useless for any practical purpose such as lending, M&A, financial reporting.
I have read this and keep it in mind.  

The only reason I pay attention to the MLS ones is that they nailed the Columbus evaluation.  About six months before Columbus was sold they valued them at $63m and they sold for $68m.  It was probably luck but it made me think that in a smaller business like MLS it might be easier to gauge revenue, expenses and eventual evaluation than it is for a monster league.

I could see maybe giving the opening match to Mexico City, and the Final to be at AT&T stadium in Dallas.
This would be a catastrophe. It's a horrible venue for soccer. It was made for a more narrow field and sight lines are such that you can't even see the sidelines from most of the upper deck. It wasn't even selected as a site for Copa (though I'm unsure if that's why). 

This is a good article listing why the new Atlanta stadium should be very good for soccer.

I love that they have retractable sections that allow for a 75 yard field while still supporting an NFL configuration.

Turner is creating a pay streaming service for both the Champions League and Europa League starting next year.  The service will cover approx. 80% of the games. The other 20% will be their cable channels, mostly on TruTV.

I have not seen what the cost will be for the service.

NEW YORK (August 17, 2017) –  Major League Soccer today announced that a fourth substitute will be available to teams during the Audi 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs and 2017 MLS Cup for postseason matches that require the two, 15-minute extra time periods.

Turner is creating a pay streaming service for both the Champions League and Europa League starting next year.  The service will cover approx. 80% of the games. The other 20% will be their cable channels, mostly on TruTV.

I have not seen what the cost will be for the service.
Ugg...so in the future we are going to have a Turner stream (NBA-UEFA), an NBC stream (EPL...I don't know what else), and an ESPN stream (MLB-NHL-college-MLS) that we are going to have to pay for.  

Just to recap it seems like everything in the CL besides the semi's and final will be on TruTV (4 group games and two knockout games a week) and all of the Europa League besides the final will be streamed.  I do wonder what Univision is going to do.

Ugg...so in the future we are going to have a Turner stream (NBA-UEFA), an NBC stream (EPL...I don't know what else), and an ESPN stream (MLB-NHL-college-MLS) that we are going to have to pay for.  

Just to recap it seems like everything in the CL besides the semi's and final will be on TruTV (4 group games and two knockout games a week) and all of the Europa League besides the final will be streamed.  I do wonder what Univision is going to do.
My local soccer bar's cheap ### owners are going to be pisssssssssed.

Looks like the PR battle to get MLS and FC Cincy to use Nippert Stadium(to avoid a tax hit on a new stadium) if they get into MLS is starting to heat up.  Here is a TV news show on the issue.

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/fc-cincinnati/citizen-group-calls-upon-mls-to-accept-nippert-stadium-instead-of-forcing-new-taxpayer-funded-venue

If they can upgrade the stadium and get grass, from a sporting perspective it seems fine to me but the obvious issue would be lack of revenue control which is huge in balancing the books for MLS teams.

THE Sanchez?  :shock:
Let's break out the Floppo decoder ring.

Floppo doesn't use anyone's real name because he thinks that's funny somehow.

Sanchez can't be this guy's name.

To get to Sanchez there's probably an "S" in the guy's name but Floppo would want to call him something cute like Chachi. Everyone knows Chachi is short for Charles. The most famous Charles I know is Charles in Charge. That guy was played by Scott Baio. We've arrived at our "S".

Decoder ring tells us that Floppo's Sanchez is Actually one Scott Sinclair.

Scott Sinclair to Spurs is imminent. Breaking. Per Floppy Taco. (because of the "El" in his name taco is a natural association).

Thanks Taco!

THE Sanchez?  :shock:
Let's break out the Floppo decoder ring.

Floppo doesn't use anyone's real name because he thinks that's funny somehow.

Sanchez can't be this guy's name.

To get to Sanchez there's probably an "S" in the guy's name but Floppo would want to call him something cute like Chachi. Everyone knows Chachi is short for Charles. The most famous Charles I know is Charles in Charge. That guy was played by Scott Baio. We've arrived at our "S".

Decoder ring tells us that Floppo's Sanchez is Actually one Scott Sinclair.

Scott Sinclair to Spurs is imminent. Breaking. Per Floppy Taco. (because of the "El" in his name taco is a natural association).

Thanks Taco!
I need to up my game apparently.

but fwiw- straight from the ESPN front page.... Tottenham agree Sanchez deal - sources

lot of money, but good signing IMO. 

except for CCV ramifications.
No immediate impact imo (He'll probably start, and Spurs are also likely to sell Wimmer now) - but Spurs are also still in for Juan Foyth - Argentinian U20 CB - which may have a more direct impact on CCV's future.

No immediate impact imo (He'll probably start, and Spurs are also likely to sell Wimmer now) - but Spurs are also still in for Juan Foyth - Argentinian U20 CB - which may have a more direct impact on CCV's future.
interesting. but this guy is only 21 too?

tbh, I just want the kid to play... anywhere. I used to be a proponent of having the young player fight it out with the big boys in training to try to win a spot through competition or attrition. but CCV needs minutes, even against championship or foreign side.

tbh, I just want the kid to play... anywhere. I used to be a proponent of having the young player fight it out with the big boys in training to try to win a spot through competition or attrition. but CCV needs minutes, even against championship or foreign side.
Sanchez has a fair bit more experience - including 2 caps with Colombia, won the Copa Libertadores, played in the Europa League finals.

Odd as it may sound - not going out on loan suggests CCV is higher rated than if he does go out on loan.  I think Spurs will be using a 3-man back line more often - thus there will still be the same matches for CCV as before - Cup matches.

The player most impacted is Dier - who really wants to play CM, because that is where he sees himself playing for England.  Dier will be competing directly with Wanyama and now Sanchez for starts at either CM or CB.

Sanchez has a fair bit more experience - including 2 caps with Colombia, won the Copa Libertadores, played in the Europa League finals.

Odd as it may sound - not going out on loan suggests CCV is higher rated than if he does go out on loan.  I think Spurs will be using a 3-man back line more often - thus there will still be the same matches for CCV as before - Cup matches.
yeah, re sanchez. definitely at the next level in terms of his experience. my point was that he's young and should be around a while... which becomes problematic if they continue to bring guys in like you mentioned (u20 argie). they rate CCV, but are looking to bolster his position. dunno- seems like mixed messaged.

re bolded... I get that- and it's cool that they value him enough to keep keeping him around. but not if he continues to not get the minutes. or am I misremembering last season and he got more pt than I'm thinking?

yeah, re sanchez. definitely at the next level in terms of his experience. my point was that he's young and should be around a while... which becomes problematic if they continue to bring guys in like you mentioned (u20 argie). they rate CCV, but are looking to bolster his position. dunno- seems like mixed messaged.

re bolded... I get that- and it's cool that they value him enough to keep keeping him around. but not if he continues to not get the minutes. or am I misremembering last season and he got more pt than I'm thinking?
No - his minutes were limited.  Quite a few matches on the bench, but very limited PT

Having watched them train in Nashville, I think match minutes are slightly over-rated.  I get the importance of match situations and pressure - but when I saw them train - they were going at it harder than when they played ManCity the next day.  Poch is renowned for his intense training sessions, and I can see why.  No quarters are given.  I might have shared this here - but there was a play involving CCV, where a ball was cleared from deep and CCV was camped under the ball waiting to head it back - Vincent Janssen came up behind CCV and knocked him clean out of the way - and then proceeded to take the ball in on goal (where he promptly missed the shot...)  No foul given (would have in a match), and the lesson to CCV is to always be prepared...

Vertonghen will be 31 next year - getting to that point where he will need replacing, given the high line defense.  As long as CCV continues to work hard, he is still tracking towards earning more minutes - and the competition to even make the bench now will be good for him.

Having said that - if he goes out on loan - it would not be the end of his career - it would open the door to a move elsewhere next summer - but given that he has been at Spurs since he was a kid, I imagine his goal is to keep working towards the first team.

No - his minutes were limited.  Quite a few matches on the bench, but very limited PT

Having watched them train in Nashville, I think match minutes are slightly over-rated.  I get the importance of match situations and pressure - but when I saw them train - they were going at it harder than when they played ManCity the next day.  Poch is renowned for his intense training sessions, and I can see why.  No quarters are given.  I might have shared this here - but there was a play involving CCV, where a ball was cleared from deep and CCV was camped under the ball waiting to head it back - Vincent Janssen came up behind CCV and knocked him clean out of the way - and then proceeded to take the ball in on goal (where he promptly missed the shot...)  No foul given (would have in a match), and the lesson to CCV is to always be prepared...

Vertonghen will be 31 next year - getting to that point where he will need replacing, given the high line defense.  As long as CCV continues to work hard, he is still tracking towards earning more minutes - and the competition to even make the bench now will be good for him.

Having said that - if he goes out on loan - it would not be the end of his career - it would open the door to a move elsewhere next summer - but given that he has been at Spurs since he was a kid, I imagine his goal is to keep working towards the first team.
I've mentioned my old youth club team-mate who played at Hamburg for a season or two (along with stints in Denmark 1st division and MLS).

first time I saw him after he got back, I asked him his thoughts about playing in bundesliga. first thing he said was that the training was way more intense- often times more than the games. guys were literally playing for their paychecks on the practice-fields, trying to win that starting spot... and it never let up.  

so I've hung on to that- especially if the training is on a top team with top talent (I was thinking this for all the US guys who go over and don't get much game-time) like at spurs. but then I see the kid play (and yeah, he's still young) and it feels like the mistakes he's making are real-time game-decision type mistakes more than overall fundamentals. and now I'm back to wanting him to play meaningful games somewhere. but I also keep forgetting how young he is.

So it takes until this post to find out you guys aren't talking about my boy, Sanchez, but some other guy who may or may not be a Sanchez? Come on, guys. There's only one "Sanchez". And I am terrified of him leaving Arsenal. Unless it's to Barça.... 

Did you guys hear Jordan's latest single? Here you go

Did you ever catch Montana's TV show? So good.

So it takes until this post to find out you guys aren't talking about my boy, Sanchez, but some other guy who may or may not be a Sanchez? Come on, guys. There's only one "Sanchez". And I am terrified of him leaving Arsenal. Unless it's to Barça.... 

Did you guys hear Jordan's latest single? Here you go

Did you ever catch Montana's TV show? So good.
You know whats even better about this Sanchez?

He likes playing in a back 3....

So take that

Users who are viewing this thread