Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

20 hours ago, B Maverick said:

Wayne Rooney has retired from international football.  England's all time leading scorer.  Odd timing but probably the correct move.  

:(  - I'm a Rooney homer so take it for what it's worth but I think it speaks to his greatness that despite playing for manager after manager that couldn't figure out how to use him that he retires the all-time leading scorer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ned said:

@NewlyRetired - just how good is Toronto right now?  I've only seen them play Philly :X so I'm sure my view is skewed a bit, but man do they look good right now.  Philly didn't deserve to be on the field with them last night.

Atlanta United were pretty crap last night too.  Dominated possession and had some chances early but seemed to sleep walk through the 2nd half.  Disappointing performance.

22 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Atlanta United were pretty crap last night too.  Dominated possession and had some chances early but seemed to sleep walk through the 2nd half.  Disappointing performance.

Let's hope that carries over to Saturday in Philly.  We'll be there with 8 kids booing the #### out of your boys. :towelwave: 

Edited by Ned
  • Like 1

That reminds me has anyone been playing The Zlatan video game?

Zlatan Legends is a free-to-play sports game that sees contestants compete against one another in an intergalactic tournament in a quest to become champion of the universe -- the parallels to Ibrahimovic's football career being obvious.

• Like 1

This will be interesting to see unfold at United.  They have looked more fluid and free in the 2 games to start the season.  Love Zlatan but he is very stationary and they play very direct with him.  After spending a lot of money on Lukaku he isn't going to sit.  But he isnt going to be fit tomorrow.  He will need some more time to be ready.

How will Zlatan be in the locker room if he isn't the main man? How does this affect Rashford and Martial as they continue to split time wide with more central striker options ahead of them?

With that though, they will be playing a lot of games (hopefully) with EPL, CL, FA Cup, League Cup (or whatever its being called now).  Injuries are always a factor too...

• Like 1

Speaking of the League Cup, the draw was yesterday for rd 3.... excuse me, the Carabao Cup :confused:

West Brom v Manchester City

Everton v Sunderland

Leicester v Liverpool

Manchester United v Burton

Brentford v Norwich

Wolves v Bristol Rovers

Burnley v Leeds

Arsenal v Doncaster

Bristol City v Stoke

Reading v Swansea

Aston Villa v Middlesbrough

Chelsea v Nottingham Forest

West Ham v Bolton

Crystal Palace v Huddersfield

Tottenham v Barnsley or Derby

Bournemouth v Brighton

3 hours ago, Ned said:

@NewlyRetired - just how good is Toronto right now?  I've only seen them play Philly :X so I'm sure my view is skewed a bit, but man do they look good right now.  Philly didn't deserve to be on the field with them last night.

I think they are really really good.  Vazquez is one of the most underrated players in the league and has been awesome for TFC.  A near perfect compliment for their big 3.  And Giovinco is just fabulous to watch.  Yet another perfect free kick goal last night.

3 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

DC vs Atlanta has been the strange fixture all year.

DC is the worst team in the league and Atlanta has been near the top.  DC has won all 3 against Atlanta this year.   DC has only 25 points all year and 9 of them have come against Atlanta.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

This will be interesting to see unfold at United.  They have looked more fluid and free in the 2 games to start the season.  Love Zlatan but he is very stationary and they play very direct with him.  After spending a lot of money on Lukaku he isn't going to sit.  But he isnt going to be fit tomorrow.  He will need some more time to be ready.

How will Zlatan be in the locker room if he isn't the main man? How does this affect Rashford and Martial as they continue to split time wide with more central striker options ahead of them?

With that though, they will be playing a lot of games (hopefully) with EPL, CL, FA Cup, League Cup (or whatever its being called now).  Injuries are always a factor too...

I love that they are bringing him back as I've mentioned a couple times I think they needed someone to backup Lukaku and I don't see Martial being that player (yet).  Once healthy he should get plenty of games but will it be enough for Zlatan?  I think so.

8 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

DC vs Atlanta has been the strange fixture all year.

DC is the worst team in the league and Atlanta has been near the top.  DC has won all 3 against Atlanta this year.   DC has only 25 points all year and 9 of them have come against Atlanta.

It was one of those games where if that early chance had gone in by Almiron then AU could have scored 3 or 4.  DCU just has our number as you mention.

51 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think they are really really good.  Vazquez is one of the most underrated players in the league and has been awesome for TFC.  A near perfect compliment for their big 3.  And Giovinco is just fabulous to watch.  Yet another perfect free kick goal last night.

Yeah...there's a reason Vierra says they are playing for second (NYC has their own problems as well).

20 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Dembele to Barca is done.

Pulisic wonders what the fuss is all about... :)

Truthfully they're still loaded without him. Aubameyang, Gotze, Reus, Pulisic, Kagawa, Schurrle, Gurreiro. And this move actually frees up Isak - the next big thing - to get more minutes as well. Dembele is an amazing talent but Dortmund has to be stoked at this deal.

• Like 2

Getting in late on the Man U talk, one thing that is evident is that Lukaku and Pogba really, really like playing with each other.  Chemistry can't be overrated.  I'd normally worry about Ibra maybe getting in the way of that, but other that at Barcelona and early at Malmo, his teammates have seemed to always enjoy his Ibra-ness. 

• Like 2