What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

My first season following the PL was 06-07, and for some reason I had it in my head that Watford were going to be my team, partly because of DeMerit. Then Ashley Young left in January, they finished 20th and fell into the relegation abyss and I forgot about them until they came back up a few years ago. I might have to jump back on. Really like this Chalobah kid. 

Never understood why they are known as the Hornets, even though their crest is a picture of an elk or whatever. Is it because of the horns on the elk?

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Never understood why they are known as the Hornets, even though their crest is a picture of an elk or whatever. Is it because of the horns on the elk?
I believe it goes back to the 50's when a vote was taken with one of the supporter groups for a new nickname and Hornets was chosen.   Here is what the crest looked like then

https://thebeautifulhistory.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/watford1968-psd.jpg

Then a couple of decades later, they changed the crest to an Elk.  The old nickname of the Hornets has stuck around all these years

Starting in 77-78, Watford had a meteoric climb from the old 4th division to the 1st in five seasons.  (Wimbledon made the same trip one year quicker a half decade later. )

Watford was led by future England manager Graham Taylor.  They managed a fine 2nd place in their first top flight season.  Taylor favored a very direct style even by the standards of the time.  After ten years at Vicarage Road, he jumped to Aston Villa where he also had success but no trophies.

His tenure with England started well enough but his fate was sealed by his failure to advance to USA '94.  The documentary about that campaign "The Impossible Job" is worth 75 minutes of your time.  I can't imagine a current manager who'd be willing to give a film crew a similar level of unfiltered access today.

• Smile
Slapdash said:
Roma has a shot of coming out of that group.  Chelsea's depth is concerning right now, so squad rotation will be hard for the CL.  Not sure Atletico will maintain last year's level either.  That will be a fun one to watch.
You're trying to mess with me. 

Atlético has been group stage winners for 4 years running with 18 wins in 24 group stage games.  During that run they exited with 2 finals, a semi, and a quarter exit during that time. Every time losing to Real.

Now the draw is a tough one for my boys. Chelsea has had more European success lately than any other epl team. Roma has quality and challenged last year in Italy (although losing Salah and Totti-god won't help). Travel to Azerbaijan ain't a cake walk and could take it's toll domestically.  I haven't looked at the schedule, but I hope the la liga game right after the trip there isn't a tough one. 

Atlético has been group stage winners for 4 years running with 18 wins in 24 group stage games.  During that run they exited with 2 finals, a semi, and a quarter exit during that time. Every time losing to Real.

Now the draw is a tough one for my boys. Chelsea has had more European success lately than any other epl team. Roma has quality and challenged last year in Italy (although losing Salah and Totti-god won't help). Travel to Azerbaijan ain't a cake walk and could take it's toll domestically.  I haven't looked at the schedule, but I hope the la liga game right after the trip there isn't a tough one. 
I would expect AtM is the group favorite, Rona and CFC somewhat lower but roughly equal chances to advance.  

I think everyone keeps expecting Simeone to finally burn those players out.  Hasn't really happened though.  In some ways, the turnover at AM might help a bit because I don't think anyone could keep 11 players willing to run through walls for 4 to 5 years. 

Messing with you?  The transfer ban makes the next few months more difficult.  I didn't think that was a controversial view. 

I think everyone keeps expecting Simeone to finally burn those players out.  Hasn't really happened though.  In some ways, the turnover at AM might help a bit because I don't think anyone could keep 11 players willing to run through walls for 4 to 5 years. 
Absolutely.  Few, if any, coaches are as adept at acquiring young talent and developing them within a system.  Selling players who are "tired of running" like Arda at the right time is important too.

Messing with you?  The transfer ban makes the next few months more difficult.  I didn't think that was a controversial view. 
Oh, it makes things more difficult, certainly.   However, no one abandoned ship though this summer, not Simeone, Greizmann, or Oblak, who are the three most important components of the team.  The entire squad is returning, and they don't have to incorporate any new players to the system.  Furthermore, Carrasco, Saul, and Correa have another year of development and training under Simeone, which can only help them. 

The only two I really worry about are Gabi and Juanfran who both seem to be losing a step.  These are two of my favorite Atleti players and who embody the Someone soldier as much as anyone on the team. There's a decent backup to Juanfran, but he's coming back from an ACL injury, but Gabi... there's no replacing his leadership, heart, and steel.  Atlético only seems as good as Gabi plays.  When he's off or exposed, they look pedestrian and fail on both sides of the ball, but when he's on, collapsing passing lanes, forcing teams into trying to break down the back 4, and moving the ball easily from the back to the attacking front, and covering for the fullbacks on their overlapping runs... that's when atlético is at its finest able to stymie everyone but players with generational talent (Messi, Neymar, Marcelo, Ronaldo are the ones that come to mind).

The thing I most take issue with in your original statement was the "last year" portion, as if their success and play were a single season blip as opposed to 5 years of hard nosed football,  especially in European knockout competitions. 

holy hell- I thought he had retired internationally. pretty amazing- for him especially, but also for the The MLS.
It is such a testament to the guys effort and quality.  He gives everything he has every game and it really shows.  Cool to see it is being noticed.  And also shows Spain still has troubles developing striker depth.

Not that as a US fan I can point fingers.  We have exactly two creative players.  One is 34 who by all rights should be retired and one is 18 who up until fairly recently would have been in college.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a 26 man squad for Spain so I guess there is still a chance he does not make a roster.  I noticed Alonso from Chelsea was not picked.

holy hell- I thought he had retired internationally. pretty amazing- for him especially, but also for the The MLS.
It is such a testament to the guys effort and quality.  He gives everything he has every game and it really shows.  Cool to see it is being noticed.  And also shows Spain still has troubles developing striker depth.

Not that as a US fan I can point fingers.  We have exactly two creative players.  One is 34 who by all rights should be retired and one is 18 who up until fairly recently would have been in college.

Edited 2 minutes ago by NewlyRetired
but atom ant can't get a sniff.

• Smile
Goodness, I think this kid has been playing lights out.
it shocked me a bit, here is what the Spanish coached said

Chelsea's Marcos Alonso is a notable absentee from the squad, despite an impressive start to the Premier League season. Lopetegui revealed that he is watching him, but does not consider him an option in the current squad, and may reappraise him in the future.

"We saw Marcos Alonso live and he was fine," he continued. "We have followed him and do not rule out his presence in the future."

On noticeable NT absences...Roberto Martinez has once again left Nainggolan off the Belgium squad, even choosing  :fro:  over him.  No rational explanation other than personal vendetta.  Radja has to be considered one the 10 best MFs in Europe.  Roberto...you, sir, are a dickwad.

On noticeable NT absences...Roberto Martinez has once again left Nainggolan off the Belgium squad, even choosing  :fro:  over him.  No rational explanation other than personal vendetta.  Radja has to be considered one the 10 best MFs in Europe.  Roberto...you, sir, are a dickwad.
All my likes.  :fro: over Nainggolan is an abomination.

coaches love the fro. I used to be a genuine fan before his united switch- seemed a decent two-way guy with good vision and foot skills. lately- well. he must be doing something in training that turns every coach's crank... it's uncanny.

coaches love the fro. I used to be a genuine fan before his united switch- seemed a decent two-way guy with good vision and foot skills. lately- well. he must be doing something in training that turns every coach's crank... it's uncanny.
I would substitute the term "turns" for another...

It looks like a 26 man squad for Spain so I guess there is still a chance he does not make a roster.  I noticed Alonso from Chelsea was not picked.
Great news. Meanwhile, Martinez inexplicably included Eden Hazard, who has a broken freakin ankle. Sure, he's playing a warm up today with the Chelsea U23s, but with a broken ankle!

Martinez also called up four goalies, which seems a little odd. Do they cut the squad down before the matches?

I would be a seriously big **** move to call him into the 26 and not at least put him in the 23.  I seriously doubt he plays against Italy, but there are 30 minutes in the Liechtenstein match that are screaming his name.

Thankfully for the 5-year old (and more correctly me) both Spain matches are TV/streaming accessible without much work.  

BTW, explaining national teams and WC qualifying to a 5 years isn't exactly easy.   

Martinez also called up four goalies, which seems a little odd. Do they cut the squad down before the matches?
I mentioned this in the US thread, in recent years over sizing qualification rosters has become the norm.  They do have to cut down to 23 though.

Dembele to Barca is now official.

Barcelona have taken a lot of heat over the past month, but this is an incredible signing. Obviously Dembele is a bit raw, but I think he's the best Neymar replacement that's out there.  Great job wrapping that up.

Dembele to Barca is now official.

Barcelona have taken a lot of heat over the past month, but this is an incredible signing. Obviously Dembele is a bit raw, but I think he's the best Neymar replacement that's out there.  Great job wrapping that up.
Finally

I think I have ETLD (Early Trump-Like Dementia) these days and can remember things for about two minutes so pardon if this has been discussed. But Messi is reportedly four months away from being a free agent and I kinda think that's important.

The Dembele-to-Barca news is significant if true because management appears to be taking a lot of heat in the world press.

Base purchase price is €105mm vs the €120mm reported yesterday...
I can't believe I am in the position to say 105m seems much more reasonable....Jesus are these amounts insane.

I hope this does not spiral out of control once the Neymar fee is fully distributed and things return to a little more normal.

• Smile

Users who are viewing this thread