Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

I have to admit that pro/rel plays a part in managers like De Boer getting canned after four games because there simply wasn't the luxury of time for him to build/coach a team in his style. There has to be a way to incorporate a little time to make big changes while still forcing badly managed teams to pay a price (and allowing successful, striving teams a chance to move up).

Just now, roadkill1292 said:

I have to admit that pro/rel plays a part in managers like De Boer getting canned after four games because there simply wasn't the luxury of time for him to build/coach a team in his style. There has to be a way to incorporate a little time to make big changes while still forcing badly managed teams to pay a price (and allowing successful, striving teams a chance to move up).

sucks too- their next 4 games look pretty rough. so whoevers in now, will have a grace period to drop points... points that FdB could have dropped too, but while continuing developing the team. now its a start over.

and fwiw- they were desperately unlucky not to get the win. played well, defended well, developed good chances... just didn't put them away. and gave up a howler. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Unfortunately the award is more impressive then his play so far and Swansea has been poor so competition was limited.  He scored a great goal against Palace but has been invisible for large stretches.  He certainly has talent but is a long way from leading Chelsea's line. 

• Like 1

Just received the itinerary for the London trip in 2 months.  Unfortunately only going to 2 EPL games but they added 1 Championship league game as well:

Saturday 18th November

Arrive into London and be met at Airport by AM Sports Tours staff member

Travel by private coach to Selhurst park

Arrive at the stadium and get in early to soak up the match day atmosphere

Watch Live Premier League action - Crystal Palace vs Everton @ Selhusrt Park

Welcome evening meal in the hotel

Sunday 19th November

Breakfast

Training session with Chelsea Academy staff

Afternoon activity

Sunday Dinner in local restaurant

Monday 20th November

Breakfast

Travel into Central London for the day

Depart for venue for first international friendly match

International Friendly Fixture 1 vs. English opposition

Aftermatch social and dinner with oppositon players, parents and coaches

Tuesday 21st November

Breakfast

Training session with Chelsea FC Academy staff

Travel to Stamford Bridge for a tour at the home of Premier League Champions Chelsea FC

Watch live Championship game - Brentford vs Burton Albion

Evening meal

Wednesday 22nd November

Breakfast

Travel to Windsor for a visit to the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world

Lunch in the wonderful setting of Windsor

Travel to venue for fixture

International Friendly Fixture 2 vs. English opposition

Return to the hotel for evening meal

Thursday 23rd November

Breakfast

Travel into central london for the day. Visit the Tower of London and take the river cruise down the Thames

Free time to explore the city at your leisure

Meet to travel back to hotel

Evening meal at local restaurant Silvermere Inn on the lake

Friday 24th November

Breakfast

Light training session with guest coach

Afternoon group activity

Travel to fixture venue to prepare for game

International Friendly Fixture 3 vs. English opposition

Evening meal

Saturday 25th November

Breakfast

Spend the morning at the famous Portabello road market

Travel over to Wembley stadium

Watch Live Premier League action - Tottenham Hotspurs vs West Brom @ Wembley Stadium

Return to hotel after the game

Farewell evening meal in the hotel

Sunday 26th November

Breakfast in the hotel

Airport transfer based on your flight departure time

Getting so pumped.....

• Like 10

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Just received the itinerary for the London trip in 2 months.  Unfortunately only going to 2 EPL games but they added 1 Championship league game as well:

Getting so pumped.....

amazing. completely jealous... kid is going to have an amazing time playing those games, let alone watching the pros. (or "pros" in the case of that first game).

• Like 2

So David Villa recorded a robocall for one of the Dems running in the city council district representing Willet's Point (potential destination of a maybe on the table NYCFC stadium) in tomorrow's Dem primary:

Mr. Moya, a boxing and soccer enthusiast, beamed as he talked about the Spanish soccer star David Villa, who recorded a robocall in Spanish for his campaign. “It’s like if Derek Jeter were calling to baseball fans,” Mr. Moya said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/nyregion/hiram-monserrate-moya-city-council-primary.html

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

So David Villa recorded a robocall for one of the Dems running in the city council district representing Willet's Point (potential destination of a maybe on the table NYCFC stadium) in tomorrow's Dem primary:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/10/nyregion/hiram-monserrate-moya-city-council-primary.html

any update on his health?

Good evening, paisans.  I tried to pm a few of you, but for some reason it wasnt working, so i just put it here.  I have to go away for 30 days, & it doesnt take a genius to figure out why.*  Sadly, my bads puns have to come along with me.   Anyways, im just telling all you "knuckleheads"( @roadkill1292) because you have always been a welcome respite from the tangled webs i weave inside my head, & i thank you for it.   You give me a humorous outlet for my introversion, as well as a forum to discuss this greatest of games.  I dread being away from my wife & children, but they're also why i must do it, as well as for myself.  So, buon fortuna to all of you & your respective clubs (yes, even all you Anglos;)

Forza Roma!

*because I'm a Roma fan, of course!  What else could it be, amirite?....now if i come out of rehab a Laziale, well, @Ned, you're close enough in proximity, and an archer,  so just shoot me in both eyes.  Seriously.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Kafka said:

Good evening, paisans.  I tried to pm a few of you, but for some reason it wasnt working, so i just put it here.  I have to go away for 30 days, & it doesnt take a genius to figure out why.*  Sadly, my bads puns have to come along with me.   Anyways, im just telling all you "knuckleheads"( @roadkill1292) because you have always been a welcome respite from the tangled webs i weave inside my head, & i thank you for it.   You give me a humorous outlet for my introversion, as well as a forum to discuss this greatest of games.  I dread being away from my wife & children, but they're also why i must do it, as well as for myself.  So, buon fortuna to all of you & your respective clubs (yes, even all you Anglos;)

Forza Roma!

*because I'm a Roma fan, of course!  What else could it be, amirite?....now if i come out of rehab a Laziale, well, @Ned, you're close enough in proximity, and an archer,  so just shoot me in both eyes.  Seriously.

We're here if you need us...get well paisan!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kafka said:

Forza Roma!

GL, GB.  You got my number if you and the fam ever need anything. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kafka said:

Good luck brother Kafka.  Be strong and try to remember what happens if you flunk out.*

*Lobotomized and seated in the Curva Nord with the others.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kafka said:

Forza Roma!

WRONG THREAD! 

• Like 2

Well, this thread has taken a major downturn overnight. Good luck and get well, @Kafka. Will be looking forward to your return. Hope the people at your facility let you watch Southampton not score again Saturday morning.

Have to ask, though. Does a love for Serie Ahh drive one to drinking or does heavy drinking cause one to love Italian footy?

53 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Well, this thread has taken a major downturn overnight. Good luck and get well, @Kafka. Will be looking forward to your return. Hope the people at your facility let you watch Southampton not score again Saturday morning.

Pretty sure extreme therapies such as shock therapy, lobotomies, and exposure to Southampton games were banned in the mid 20th century. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

To be fair, there were times when Southampton exposure was shown to have clinical value.

That second one, with the multiple flicks, including the back heel, has been one of my all-time favorite clips for a while. And, yes, they all seemed to be done in slow motion. 

Edited by roadkill1292

2 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

That second one, with the multiple flicks, including the back heel, has been one of my all-time favorite clips for a while. And, yes, they all seemed to be done in slow motion. 

The third goal is totally underrated as a set piece.  Has the ball rolled to him, casually flicks it up, and volleys it where the spiders lay their eggs.  

2 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
6 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Good point here regarding the newer Nike shirts - they're all the same.

It's at least a little less noticeable with the club kits than the international kits.  It kills me to see the US, England, Portugal, etc all running out with the same style.

I hate NIKE for this...  but these are 3rd kits.  How often do they get worn?  A few times per season?

52 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:
55 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
59 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Good point here regarding the newer Nike shirts - they're all the same.

It's at least a little less noticeable with the club kits than the international kits.  It kills me to see the US, England, Portugal, etc all running out with the same style.

I hate NIKE for this...  but these are 3rd kits.  How often do they get worn?  A few times per season?

Its' nothing new.  They did this last year too.  :thumbdown: 

Bummer that @Kafka has left the building.  Roma is playing my boys right now.  I rather like the Roma midfielders but only Dzeko seems to be a real threat up top.  Atlético has a strong (although uncreative and lacking dribbling attackers) midfield quartet today.  I have to think that Thomas will leave and Carrasco will come on in the second half.

Nico Morales writes for The Ringer and had an interesting comment about Liverpool not really helping themselves very much should they sign van Dijk. Because Klopp's attacking system exposes CBs so much, that a lot of his qualities will be underutilized. 

For all the qualities someone like Van Dijk possesses—pace, strength, aerial ability, and an impressive composure on the ball—the addition of the Dutchman would do little to quell Liverpool’s concession of chances. He might help them handle a few more counterattacks per season, but in the end he’ll likely end up taking the same abuse that Lovren or Klavan are subjected to week in and week out.

Lovren came over from the same club as Van Dijk, and he looked like a top-level defender at Southampton, but the Saints use a far less aggressive defensive pressing style than Liverpool—one that’s mainly focused on moving the opposition into the least dangerous areas of the pitch—so it creates layers of safety for its defenders.

Incidentally, one of our auditors was standing over my shoulder while I was looking for a report yesterday and as I was clicking through the folders, I caught myself saying, "like dis, like dis, like dis, like dis" and then when I located the file, I went "goal!" He had the good graces to laugh but I don't think he really understood.

• Like 5

Just now, roadkill1292 said:

Nico Morales writes for The Ringer and had an interesting comment about Liverpool not really helping themselves very much should they sign van Dijk. Because Klopp's attacking system exposes CBs so much, that a lot of his qualities will be underutilized. 

Incidentally, one of our auditors was standing over my shoulder while I was looking for a report yesterday and as I was clicking through the folders, I caught myself saying, "like dis, like dis, like dis, like dis" and then when I located the file, I went "goal!" He had the good graces to laugh but I don't think he really understood.

:lmao: 

3 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

I don't think he's needed for his physical abilities as much as he is needed for his ability to actually use his vocal cords. Oh, and I believe his neck vertebrae aren't fused either, so he might be able to turn his head once in a while.