What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Bender,

you sound like me last off-season. Let me give you my story of my first season as a big soccer fan.

First off, I knew I had one shot at sticking with a new sport, I had to develop a passion for one team. If I was a casual fan, I'd probably drop it. So I came to these boards, and got everyone to give me their "pitch" on why I should go for their team.

I chose Liverpool because they were a young, exciting, attacking team (they had Suarez and Sturridge). I watched highlights, fell in love, and then saw some of their players (Suarez) light it up in the World Cup. Then Suarez bit that dude, got sold, ten new players came in, and they proceeded to have one of the most inept offenses I've ever seen. (of course, I've not seen a lot) They couldn't score, and had perhaps the worst set of strikers in the EPL, as Sturridge basically missed the whole year.

So my advice is not to pick a team based on current players, because that will change.

That being said, here are a few factors to think about:

1. I'd go with Premier League. The blogs and the websites and the message boards are in English. Very important when trying to instill a "love" for the team.

2. Pick a team that has a chance to compete financially. Unfortunately, that only leaves you with about 5 teams, possibly 6.

In my personal opinion, ManU has the brightest future, though I detest them. Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City are all great teams as well.

Liverpool is a struggle for one reason: They are perhaps the 8th or 9th richest club in the world (recently I saw where they had the 6th highest net worth), but they currently are fifth in the EPL, and there are only 4 CL spots. Every time they don't make the CL, the gap grows a little bit.

So it's tough for Liverpool.

I'm 100% in now, and i wouldn't want to go back. I can't say that the future is bright, but I do think that when Liverpool does turn it around and win the EPL, the fans are going to go crazy. so much history, the YNWA song, the chants, the passion....I think Liverpool is the best team in England by far, in terms of fan experience.

The downside to picking Liverpool is that you very easily could be in for a lot of heart break. Last year at this time, Liverpool fans were pumped about the future, as it was a young and exciting team.

Now we are all antsy, as we are worried about being outspent this summer, and cementing ourselves in the 5th place spot.

I'm of the optimistic sort, and I think that we have a young base of players that can fight and make top four next year, with the right summer additions.

My opinions for a new fan:

ManU: Pick them if you don't mind the Yankees, a team that will spend to win

Chelsea: Boring team, but amazing manager. The team people love to hate. Think the Ravens

Man City: Rich owners, no history. The rich owners part is pretty important, obviously. Since you can be a part of "creating" history, a good choice

Arsenal: I'd say Arsenal has a great chance of being the EPL team of the next decade. I don't know why, i just feel they are on the upswing.

Liverpool: Best history of the group, great fans, unique atmosphere, but the fifth wheel hoping to break into the top four. It could be a bad place to be longterm.
Nice write up. interesting to see how some fans picked their teams.

(I saw Arsenal, Leeds, and United all play preseason friendlies in Norway in 92 and fell in Love with United.)

Just nitpicking here :boxing: nothing you said is really that wrong.

United spent less then Chelsea, City and Liverpool over the last 7 years. Has to spend now to "rebuild" after lack of investment despite United winning 2 of the last 5, 3 of last 7, 5 of last 11.

Chelsea are boring have an amazing manager but like City have rich owners (russian billionaire) that loves to spend. 4 titles of last 11

Man City: Rich owners, no history. The rich owners part is pretty important, obviously. Since you can be a part of "creating" history (no changes lol)

Arsenal: Spent the last 20 years staying in the top 4 and competing in Europe. Last title in 03-04. Unknown what happens after their long term manager leaves but seems to be a team that isnt hated like the other top 5.

Liverpool: Great history but outside of CL title in 05 havent done much. Teases the top 4 with a couple 2nds and 3rds since 92. No EPL titles. 2nd most in top flight titles in England.

Is it me or did the Prem kind of stink this year? Chelsea's obviously the best team of the bunch, but they don't seem so dominating that they should be able to run off with the title the way they did.

Good Posting Judge said:
Is it me or did the Prem kind of stink this year? Chelsea's obviously the best team of the bunch, but they don't seem so dominating that they should be able to run off with the title the way they did.
Chelsea never really had a great run the second half yet more or less coasted to the title, so I agree it was a somewhat boring year in the end due to the failure of any other club to make a serious challenge. CFC broke Man United's record for most consecutive weeks at #1 in a PL season, essentially by taking care of business early then holding serve. There were no big, must-win games for Chelsea this season, particularly the big matches down the stretch. After today's loss, Chelsea still has only 3 PL losses and just 4 losses across all competitions, despite going out weakly to PSG in the CL. I expected a great competitive season, perhaps next year will be better.

Good Posting Judge said:
Chelsea never really had a great run the second half yet more or less coasted to the title, so I agree it was a somewhat boring year in the end due to the failure of any other club to make a serious challenge. CFC broke Man United's record for most consecutive weeks at #1 in a PL season, essentially by taking care of business early then holding serve. There were no big, must-win games for Chelsea this season, particularly the big matches down the stretch. After today's loss, Chelsea still has only 3 PL losses and just 4 losses across all competitions, despite going out weakly to PSG in the CL. I expected a great competitive season, perhaps next year will be better.
Truth is, most of the leagues lacked drama this year. German league was wrapped up weeks ago. Juventus ran away with Serie A early. Only La Liga had some tense moments, and even then it was Barca and Real down the stretch again.

Now if youre looking for some real soccer drama: Check out the final week of the Iranian League, where 90,000 Tractor Sazi fans believed they won the title after drawing in their final match, when in fact the 3rd place team jumped them in the table after an unlikely come-from-behind victory. To make matters worse, the Iranian Government shut off all mobile communication in the stadium after the match ended in the hope that the Tractor fans wouldnt find out the result until they got home. :mellow: :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: I finally saw Cesc's red card and I fn loved everything about it. Honestly, the players crowding the ref shtick deserves more balls to the head
I don't understand why they don't address this. There's a simple solution. No one approaches the ref except the players involved in the incident and team captains. Anyone else gets a yellow.

More Raheem Sterling drama.

sterling maybe if you didn't quit the last two months of the season, Liverpool would be in the CL next year.

Let's see, you are 20 years old and start every game in the EPL. In the past two years you have played for England in the WC, been in a tight EPL race that went down to the wire, made it to Wembley for an FA cup semifinal, played in the champions league, and even played in a couple Europa league games. Won the golden boy award.

Yeah it would be a smart decision to force your way off Liverpool, so that you can get 15-20 games a year for Real Madrid and have the press eat you alive when you kick one of your patented "power of a ten year old boy" strikes wide of goal.

Thanks shader

Chelsea offered me 5 figures and a spokesperson deal (for Skoal) to root for them.

I'm already spoken for now.

(but seriously, nice write up).

What team does Fenway Sports Group Own, Liverpool? I'm inclined to go with them as a Sox fan

Thanks shader

Chelsea offered me 5 figures and a spokesperson deal (for Skoal) to root for them.

What team does Fenway Sports Group Own, Liverpool? I'm inclined to go with them as a Sox fan
Yup, they have done a nice job so far, from a financial stand point.

Thanks shader

Liverpool fans aren't enamored with FSG, at least those on the message boards.

But I think they'd done a good job of turning things around and making the team a lucrative franchise, as well as funding s pretty large stadium expansion.

Liverpool is a good team to root for, but I can see that the forums are full of frustrated fans who are sick of being behind the top four. Tough place for a proud organization.

Thanks shader

Liverpool fans aren't enamored with FSG, at least those on the message boards.

But I think they'd done a good job of turning things around and making the team a lucrative franchise, as well as funding s pretty large stadium expansion.

Liverpool is a good team to root for, but I can see that the forums are full of frustrated fans who are sick of being behind the top four. Tough place for a proud organization.
Well, fan message boards aren't always a good place to go for a balanced view.

Facts are, they have turned around a team that was close to bankruptcy five short years ago, which would have seen the club relegated far down the pyramid in England. We showed a small profit last year. Pretty amazing considering the last owners used to club as their personal ATM to the tune of 450 million pounds or so.

Yes, it has been a long time (25 years) since the last title, but you have to look at the long term plan. The team is back in the black, are 2-3 years from a much needed revenue boost from the expanded stadium, and have a young team with plenty of potential. I think we should, can and must be in contention for top 4 next year, as the first step in the long rebuild, but we need to be competitive in the transfer market this summer. Message boards fans, or 90% of them, are usually young kids, and they don't understand/care about the long play. They want results now, and don't see the efforts needed.

For the love of all that is holy, please don't judge FSG by what people on RAWK say. They've done a good job. Question is whether Ayer and Rodgers are making the right calls on where money is going.

There are two places I go to for overreaction; RAWK and any new thread Tim starts.

Bender> at least you already know all the Chelsea songs...they're "Chelsea" & " Chelsea"

I don't know how someone can just pick a team to support, but to anyone in that position, if you're considering a club with a "for profits" owner and a club with a "for trophies" owner, I'd recommend the latter.

As a lifelong Milwaukee Brewers fan, I've never said to myself, "we haven't been in the World Series since 1982, but we've got a really nice stadium and financial stability!"

sterling maybe if you didn't quit the last two months of the season, Liverpool would be in the CL next year.

Let's see, you are 20 years old and start every game in the EPL. In the past two years you have played for England in the WC, been in a tight EPL race that went down to the wire, made it to Wembley for an FA cup semifinal, played in the champions league, and even played in a couple Europa league games. Won the golden boy award.

Yeah it would be a smart decision to force your way off Liverpool, so that you can get 15-20 games a year for Real Madrid and have the press eat you alive when you kick one of your patented "power of a ten year old boy" strikes wide of goal.
IMO, it's a matter of players wanting to prove themselves among the world's best. I wouldn't begrudge Sterling for wanting to prove he can play at Real, though I'm not sure really how he'd fit there. It's like when Robin van Persie wanted to leave Arsenal to go to Man U. Did it suck? Of course it sucked. But can you blame him for wanting to play among the world's true best? Liverpool is a good team; Real is an elite team.

I don't know how someone can just pick a team to support, but to anyone in that position, if you're considering a club with a "for profits" owner and a club with a "for trophies" owner, I'd recommend the latter.

As a lifelong Milwaukee Brewers fan, I've never said to myself, "we haven't been in the World Series since 1982, but we've got a really nice stadium and financial stability!"
Don't pick a team that wins all the time. It's a sign of low character.
Honestly, highly doubt I'll pick a squad.

Like I've said, I've got 32 years without picking an NFL team.

I like good storylines and will probably just root for underdogs.

I just want to get into the fun. I've spent a lot of time in Europe over the past 2 years and it's hard not to get excited when over there about footy. Felt like I was missing out on lots of fun. Sad the season's are coming to a close now, but I'll definitely be following the EPL. I've been watching the EPL for 2 years not really understanding what's going on, so the responses to my initial posts here have been awesome crash courses on what to now.

Thanks to all, IMO. :thumbup:

I think soccer fans bring up financial stability often as a sign that <insert club here> isn't going to just flop and go into administration or sell-off their entire team. If the bottom does fall out, somehow, on a worldwide level, there are some teams who are certainly in a better position than others to withstand the storm. Think about Rangers, Leeds, Portsmouth (lol)....all teams with success shattered by financial woes. Leeds were a top 5 team in the EPL from 1997 through 2002, went into administration in 2007, and now middle in the Championship. If someone were looking at teams in 2000, they may very well have picked Leeds as their team.

Side note, I remember when I first started getting FIFA video games, I used to like to play as Leeds every so often because they had Eddie Lewis on the team.

Bender - if it matters, here's a list of who's a fan of what teams.

This is the official who's a fan of what team(s) post. As many teams/leagues as you want to put in here.

International
United States - everyone (probably?)
Argentina - Sebowski, otello, Gianmarco, DiStefano
Bolivia - Sebowski
Brazil - Desert Power, Z's wife, Abrantes, SmoovySmoov, Corporation
Canada - Polsonov?

Chile - BassNBrew
Croatia - kblitz
Denmark - Major

Ecuador - Sand
Egypt - Jmon
England - SmoovySmoov, AAABatteries, Txns8, theprince, T Bell, Charvik, Jonessed, Christo, Corporation

Faroe Islands - Steve Tasker, Roadkill
Germany - Mjolnirs, eagles2007, editor47, Bonzai, Short Corner, Corporation, Fariq, Bierfiend, Jayrod
Ireland - PIK95
Italy - Steve Tasker, Texas Football, otello, Boubucarow, Gianmarco, Kafka
Japan - SmoovySmoov
Netherlands - MrPhoenix, AAABatteries, Major, Abraham
Nigeria - Eephus
Portugal - Gator
Serbia - Vipers
Spain - Sebowski, Kansas Comet, Z Machine, The Reytheist, Good Posting Judge, ilov80s

Trinidad & Tobago - Fariq
Turkey - Steve Tasker
Venezuela - Z's wife, Z Machine
Wales - Jonessed

England
EPL
Arsenal - Steve Tasker, Sebowski, Z's wife, Brewer, Vipers, Major, Sparty, Jmon, Scoobygang, The Reytheist, T Bell, The Hardline, Tom Hagen
Chelsea - Native (pre-Abramovich), Cletius Maximus, Eephus Jr., Tremendous Upside, Jaysus, Premier
Everton - Senor Schmutzig, eagles2007
Hull - QuizGuy66
Liverpool - MrPhoenix, Bentley, Kendall, SmoovySmoov, editor47, Gator, PIK95, Texas Football, Sleeping King, jplvr, theprince, wdcrob, Charvik, Gianmarco
Manchester City - editor47, Derek, TitusIII, NYCelt, whoknew
Manchester United - B Maverick, AAABatteries, JuniorNB, Bonzai, AcerFC, Txns8, Ted Lange as your Bartender, Ursa M
Newcastle - Polsonov, Z Machine

Queen's Park Rangers - Christo, Bentley
Southampton - GoFishTN
Sunderland - Gianmarco
Swansea - Good Posting Judge, Jaysus, Autumn Wind
Tottenham - GoFishTN, Jonessed, jplvr, LHUCKS, Sinn Fein
WBA - Steve Tasker
"Big 4 + any team with an American" - El Floppo

Championship
Blackpool - Jonessed, Otello
Bolton - berndog

Brighton & Hove Albion - Txns8
Derby County - Gator
Ipswich Town - Texas Football, Sparty
Wolves - Boubucarow, theprince

Football League Two
AFC Wimbledon - Eephus

Northern Premier League, Premier Division
FC United of Manchester - otello

Spain

La Liga
Atletico Madrid - Z Machine
Barcelona - Desert Power, Sebowski, Kansas Comet, Jmon, The Reytheist, otello, Good Posting Judge, Sinn Fein, ilov80s
Real Madrid - Z's wife, Derek
Sevilla - Kansas Comet

Segunda Division

Real Zaragoza - Kafka

Italy
Serie A
Inter - El Floppo, Texas Football
Fiorentina - Gianmarco
Juventus - Boubucarow
Milan - Soulfly3, Gianmarco

Napoli - Z Machine
Roma - Sebowski, Good Posting Judge, Charvik, Kafka, The Hardline
Udinese - eagles2007

Serie C1
Ascoli - otello

Germany
Bundesliga
Bayern Munchen - Mjolnirs, Short Corner, Sparty, The Hardline
Borussia Dortmund - eagles2007, editor47, Boubucarow, SmoovySmoov, Z Machine, Sinn Fein
Eintracht Frankfurt - Eephus
VfB Stuttgart - kblitz

2. Bundesliga
1. FC Nurnberg - Bonzai
FC Kaiserslautern - Charvik
FC St. Pauli - Christo

Scotland
Scottish Premiership
Celtic - walnutz, PIK95, NYCelt

Scottish Championship

Hearts - Steve Tasker, Donsmith753
Rangers - Senor Schmutzig

USA
MLS
Chicago Fire - Senor Schmutzig, Vipers, Christo, Boubucarow
Columbus Crew - Bonzai, Derek
DC United - walnutz, Jmon, wdcrob
FC Dallas - Txns8, The Hardline
Houston Dynamo - Txns8, whoknew
LA Galaxy - Kansas Comet, Z Machine, The Reytheist
New England Revolution - andy b, PIK95
New York Red Bulls - JuniorNB, El Floppo, AcerFC
Philadelphia Union - Z's wife, eagles2007, editor47, Ted Lange as your Bartender, otello, Jaysus, Autumn Wind
San Jose Earthquakes - Good Posting Judge
Seattle Sounders - Vipers, SmoovySmoov
Toronto FC - Steve Tasker

NASL
Carolina Railhawks - walnutz

USL Professional Division
Charleston Battery - Mjolnirs, walnutz, Desert Power

Harrisburg City Islanders - Jaysus

Argentina
Boca Juniors - Steve Tasker, walnutz, El Floppo
Newell's Old Boys - Z Machine
River Plate - Z's wife

Mexico
Chivas Guadalajara - Z Machine
Tijuana Xolos - Sebowski
UNAM Pumas - Z's wife

Croatia
Hajduk Split - kblitz

Brazil
Botafogo - Z Machine
Flamengo - Abrantes, Sebowski

Egypt
Al-Ahly - Jmon

Turkey
Besiktas - Good Posting Judge
Fenerbahce - Steve Tasker

Serbia
Red Star Belgrade - Sparty

Seemed to me that opposing teams took more time and effort gameplanning Sterling as the dangerous guy for Liverpool... I don't know that he "quit". this appeared to open more chances for guys like Cutepie and Allen.

IMO, gimpy Sturridge being out as much as he was hurt them more- as well as the other forwards not scoring goals.

I think soccer fans bring up financial stability often as a sign that <insert club here> isn't going to just flop and go into administration or sell-off their entire team. If the bottom does fall out, somehow, on a worldwide level, there are some teams who are certainly in a better position than others to withstand the storm. Think about Rangers, Leeds, Portsmouth (lol)....all teams with success shattered by financial woes. Leeds were a top 5 team in the EPL from 1997 through 2002, went into administration in 2007, and now middle in the Championship. If someone were looking at teams in 2000, they may very well have picked Leeds as their team.

Side note, I remember when I first started getting FIFA video games, I used to like to play as Leeds every so often because they had Eddie Lewis on the team.
I remember thinking Eddie (and the US) had really made it- getting to sign for a "big" squad like Leeds. link

HUP FAROE!

Tasker, I should also be listed for Southampton and Senegal. You're doing god's work with this.

edit: Oh, and Brighton and Hove effing Albion.

fwiw- I actually thought Christo FC (Gers!) played pretty well most of the year.

oh- also... I really hope Sunderland gets relegated. I wasted too much time watching that drek team play when Jozy with them.

IMO, it's a matter of players wanting to prove themselves among the world's best. I wouldn't begrudge Sterling for wanting to prove he can play at Real, though I'm not sure really how he'd fit there. It's like when Robin van Persie wanted to leave Arsenal to go to Man U. Did it suck? Of course it sucked. But can you blame him for wanting to play among the world's true best? Liverpool is a good team; Real is an elite team.
I understand that to a degree. I can't begrudge Suarez for leaving to go play with Neymar and Messi. Not Liverpool, or any other Premier League club was going to give him that opportunity. But Suarez was an established superstar.

Sterling is a pacey forward with a weak leg that exudes potential, but is far from a finished product. If he's desperate to leave, I hope Liverpool works something out. But if he thinks people have been hard on him in England, wait until he shanks weak 5 footers left of goal for Real Madrid or Bayern.

Sterling would get eaten alive at the Bernabeu'. The dark invader would be yelling at him all game, and that's if he can even get on the pitch over there in a game that matters over Big Benz.

I want to agree with this, but I'm not sure I can. The EPL is such a different animal from American sports. If you don't pick a team at, or near, the top, you're probably going to lose interest quick.

Well, sadly this was what happened to Liverpool. Hicks and Gillett bought the club in 2007, and after just 3 years had it on the brink of administration. In 2010, when FSG came in, the club had a reported debt of 450M pounds, that's just insane being 5 years removed from Istanbul and the additional revenue that brought. Had FSG not come in, I would be supporting a club in league 3 now, with a very long road ahead to return.

In today's football world, finances and trophies go hand in hand. It's not surprising that the top 4 EPL teams also have the top 4 financial situation, top 2 La Liga, Bayern etc etc, but it's easy to say that it should be all about the trophies when your team can throw away 100M for fun because of unlimited funds. ;)

Any club can catch lightning in a bottle and compete in any given year, like Liverpool last season, Southampton and West Ham for parts of this, but to consistently be up there, you have to compete financially as well. I'd love to go back to a time where the funds didn't matter as much as the product on the field, but I don't think we ever will. :shrug:

That said, Bender, you don't need to get into the money side of things, or even care. Just find a team whose football you enjoy, and watch them. Usually what happens, the team picks you anyway...

I want to agree with this, but I'm not sure I can. The EPL is such a different animal from American sports. If you don't pick a team at, or near, the top, you're probably going to lose interest quick.
I don't think you have to. Even if you pick a middling side or a perennial relegation candidate, you still have 38 games a year (at least). Pretty much everybody I know have picked teams for emotional reasons, that has little to do with the results in any given year. It could be family tradition, liking a certain player, liking the city itself, knowing somebody, liking the kit, liking the style of play.

BREAKING: Jürgen Klopp has agreed to join Real Madrid next season in a deal worth €8M per-year. [Radio Deutschland]

In today's football world, finances and trophies go hand in hand.
charv - When in our lifetime has this not been the case? Other than MLS perhaps with a single owner structure, where and when was a league title not the direct result of the champion's financial superiority over he majority of the opposition? I'm sure there are a handful of examples, but I'm not aware of any since I've been following Euro football - mid 80s.

Speaking of Rangers... am I reading it right that four teams will be promoted next year, and Rangers will return to the SPL?
Unless something changed, I believe this is how it works for Scotland.

*Two teams are promoted from second to first division. Two teams are relegated from first to second division

*Champions of second division are promoted. Bottom club of first division are relegated.

*Teams in 2nd, 3rd and 4th of the second division are joined by the second to last place team in the first division form a multi legged playoff.

Match A) Team 3rd plays Team 4th. (Two legs)

Match B) Winner of Match A plays Team 2nd (two legs)

Match C) Winner of Match B plays the second to last place team from the first division (Two legs)

Winner of Match C is in the top division next year.

Match A has been completed with Rangers beating Queen of the South.

Match B has not started yet.

*Rangers has to get through Hiberian and then Motherwell to make the return.

Users who are viewing this thread