Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

Alianza de Lima lose their mind. Get five red cards.

Why would anyone ever want to be a referee? He actually handled it well.

woof.

first red was awfully soft. but no complaints about any of the yellows or subsequent reds.

I've actually forgotten- you forfeit at 7 players, or 8?

I thought so too at first, but it's possible that he not only chopped him down but then kicked through him when he boots the ball afterward.

Watching that I am surprised more red cards didnt come out. This needs to happen more. Each guy that grabbed or touched the ref should get tossed. Got to give the ref credit for not punching half them in the face.

• Like 1
  • Replies 43.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewlyRetired

• El Floppo

• Sinn Fein

• Ramsay Hunt Experience

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good evening, paisans.  I tried to pm a few of you, but for some reason it wasnt working, so i just put it here.  I have to go away for 30 days, & it doesnt take a genius to figure out why.*  Sadl

That's pretty much what I came up with, too.

We're Going to Wem-be-ly.  Que Sera Sera

Posted Images

woof.

first red was awfully soft. but no complaints about any of the yellows or subsequent reds.

I thought so too at first, but it's possible that he not only chopped him down but then kicked through him when he boots the ball afterward.

Watching that I am surprised more red cards didnt come out. This needs to happen more. Each guy that grabbed or touched the ref should get tossed. Got to give the ref credit for not punching half them in the face.

:goodposting:

I would like to see yellows for anybody besides the captain or player involved even approaching the ref. red to anybody who touches him, and spanking machine for john terry.

• Like 2

I can't get this post correct;y so please just go to the link. This table ranks hundreds of sports teams based on average salary.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12910218/paris-saint-germain-tops-global-salary-survey

I just tried too...

surprised to see Dodgers and Nets so high... I don't really follow either sport, but don't think of them as being big spenders.

Just got offered the varsity head coaching job at my son's high school... :oldunsure:

So you're signing all of us as co-coaches right?

:drive:

-QG

:lmao::lmao:

holy #### just the thought of that.....

:welcome::towelwave::hifive::suds::gang1::gang2::potkettle::tfp:

We should also have a Gator FC thread so we can effectively deliberate in the running of the team.

:grad:

-QG

first order of business...

who are we bringing in over the summer transfer window?

This is actually a thing I guess(i didn't know until it was allowed until recently)...kids put on transfer requests to leave a certain school district to go to a different school.

My scouts are on the phones as we speak

What kind of chances do we have at landing Kane?

-QG

woof.

Especially the guy who tried to push the ref's hand back into his pocket when he was pulling out the red. That should get a double red

woof.

Especially the guy who tried to push the ref's hand back into his pocket when he was pulling out the red. That should get a double red

I would have skipped the double red and gone straight to the triple-dog-red.

• Like 1

woof.

That'd be a slight breach of etiquette

Looking into brining in Sinclair on loan

To your kid's High School?

edit - nevermind, of course its for your kid's high school. Carry on.

Edited by Sinn Fein
  • Like 1

Is it too early to start discussing silly season? I suppose we should wait until after the Cup finals are played but I'm itching to get going.

Never too early imo

Can't wait for;

Benteke

Sterling Coutinho Lallana

Henderson Illarramendi

Moreno Sakho Skrtel Montoya

I can't get this post correct;y so please just go to the link. This table ranks hundreds of sports teams based on average salary.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12910218/paris-saint-germain-tops-global-salary-survey

I don't understand all of the Indian cricket teams in the 40s/50s. Average salary of $4.5 million but a total payroll of only ~$9.5-10 million. How does that work? Are there only 2 paid players per team?

ETA - thought it was soccer, it was cricket

Edited by Steve Tasker

I just tried too...

surprised to see Dodgers and Nets so high... I don't really follow either sport, but don't think of them as being big spenders.

The Dodgers have been throwing money left and right once they got the new ownership in place and the new TV contract.

Their local TV contract is paying them an astounding $7billion over the next 25 years. That is $280m in revenue from local tv alone per year on average.

The Nets were purchased in 2010 by Mikhail Prokhorov, a Russian billionaire who also threw a ton of money into the team when they moved to Brooklyn (he owns half of the Barclays Center).

Edited by NewlyRetired

I don't understand all of the Indian cricket teams in the 40s/50s. Average salary of $4.5 million but a total payroll of only ~$9.5-10 million. How does that work? Are there only 2 paid players per team?

It is bogus that they are on the list IMO. Read the editors note below

Editor's note: A different methodology was used for the nine IPL clubs on the list. Those clubs -- Mumbai Indians, Kolkata Knight Riders, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils, Chennai Super Kings, Pune Warriors, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Kings XI Punjab, Rajasthan Royals -- play a six-week season. Because the season is so short, Harris derives their placement by determining the amount a team pays out on a weekly basis and then multiples that figure by 52 weeks. Therefore, the average annual pay for these nine IPL clubs is not an amount of money that the club actually pays, but a reflection of what they would pay out to their players if the IPL had more of a year-round season.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Editor's note: A different methodology was used for the nine IPL clubs on the list. Those clubs -- Mumbai Indians, Kolkata Knight Riders, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils, Chennai Super Kings, Pune Warriors, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Kings XI Punjab, Rajasthan Royals -- play a six-week season. Because the season is so short, Harris derives their placement by determining the amount a team pays out on a weekly basis and then multiples that figure by 52 weeks. Therefore, the average annual pay for these nine IPL clubs is not an amount of money that the club actually pays, but a reflection of what they would pay out to their players if the IPL had more of a year-round season.

Ah, got it. Didn't read far enough down.

Is it too early to start discussing silly season? I suppose we should wait until after the Cup finals are played but I'm itching to get going.

Never too early imo

Can't wait for;

Benteke

Henderson Illarramendi

Who are they going to play for? That is a lot of players for Liverpool to lose in one year...

• Like 1

Never too early imo

Can't wait for;

Benteke

Henderson Illarramendi

Lots of questions for you Gator.

You think Sterling comes back? With the amount of money he's demanding and the price premium for English players, I can see Liverpool cashing out to fund some of the new signings. Unless of course they are committed to spending aggressively irrrespective of cash coming in.

Illarramendi will be expensive no? I would think they could find someone cheaper to play next to Henderson.

Also who will they sell other than Balotelli that will bring in money?

And what about the Belgian forward they bought last year? Will he not feature? How did he looked this year on loan?

Edited by Native

Never too early IMO.

Never too early imo

Can't wait for;

Benteke

Henderson Illarramendi

Lots of questions for you Gator.

You think Sterling comes back? With the amount of money he's demanding and the price premium for English players, I can see Liverpool cashing out to fund some of the new signings. Unless of course they are committed to spending aggressively irrrespective of cash coming in.

Illarramendi will be expensive no? I would think they could find someone cheaper to play next to Henderson.

Also who will they sell other than Balotelli that will bring in money?

And what about the Belgian forward they bought last year? Will he not feature? How did he looked this year on loan?

I hope Sterling is sold, and quick. He's a thankless little #### who has been whining and pouting all spring. Check out Carra's and Neville's comments on MNF. He needs to go, or sit and rot in the reserves.

There's not a lot of highly sought after talent to sell (that they would want to part with), but a lot of savings on salaries (salaries approximated):

Gerrard: 120k/wk

Johnson: 100k/wk

Balotelli: 90k/wk

Toure: 90k/wk

Borini: 40k/wk

Aspas: 40k/wk

others...

I would say there's about 500k/wk in salaries going out.

Rumor has it that they will have 40-50M plus player sales available. If we can ship out the whiny #### to the blue mancs for 35M (who need homegrown players and were rumored to offer Milner 165k/wk), Borini 10, Balotelli 10, Aspas and change 5M, that's 100M.

Absolute needs/and wants:

Proven striker: 40M

Ings: 10M

Proven MF: 30M

Wingback/RB: 10M

Goalkeeper: 10M

another year of needing to work players into the squad, and could be another slow start to the year.

Starting XI:

---------Migs/10M keeper------------ (Ward)

----10M RCB----Skrtel----Sakho--- (backup Lovren + academy prospects)

Ibe----Can-----30M MF-----Markovic (backups Lucas/Henderson/Allen/Moreno/Flanno + academy prospects)

---Lallana----Studge/40M option---Coutinho (backups Sinclair/Origi/Lambert/Ings)

(only adding Ings because it looks likely to happen).

I think that lineup is good enough to challenge for 3-5 position in the league, depending on how they gel, and injuries. It is also solid enough to stay in 2 domestic cups and EL, without sacrificing too much in the league.

Manager moves could be interesting this summer. I'd be surprised if either Rodgers or Pelligrini get sacked and don't think either remotely deserves it, but Klopp might be an attractive move for an ambitious owner.

Klopp rumored to be talking to Fenerbahce - though I would imagine if a top job in England opens up, that may change his thinking.

I thought Kolo was still pretty solid the few times I saw him play, but I guess he's a bit long in the tooth and likely gone.

I agree, and I would prefer to keep him. The club needs a veteran player among all the youngsters with Gerrard leaving, and Kolo seems to be the best option available right now.

I'm assuming all the current Klopp rumors are just his agent setting up City for a monster deal.

I really like Klopp, and would prefer him to go to the continent somewhere. PSG maybe?

Manager moves could be interesting this summer. I'd be surprised if either Rodgers or Pelligrini get sacked and don't think either remotely deserves it, but Klopp might be an attractive move for an ambitious owner.

No way Rodgers deserves it. Being 5th without a good/healthy striker(s) all season is almost a miracle.

I just tried too...

The Dodgers have been throwing money left and right once they got the new ownership in place and the new TV contract.

Their local TV contract is paying them an astounding $7billion over the next 25 years. That is $280m in revenue from local tv alone per year on average.

The Nets were purchased in 2010 by Mikhail Prokhorov, a Russian billionaire who also threw a ton of money into the team when they moved to Brooklyn (he owns half of the Barclays Center).

Sadly very few people in LA can actually watch Dodger games ( :rant::censored: time warner cable)

But yes, they have eclipsed even the highest yankee payroll since the new ownership came in.

Interesting list.

woof.

That'd be a slight breach of etiquette

But probably justified! haha

I think it was posted earlier but there was also a video of a ref being surrounded and him pulling the red out of his pocket and holding it by his side. Everyone stopped. Noone got carded but it was a great move by the ref.

Did the NFL change to a 52 game season and I missed it? That methodology is ridiculous. I wonder if there is any chance they make the list at all if ESPN hadn't just signed a big cricket deal.

Agree Rodgers should stay, but not sure why Pellegrini deserves to keep his.

really routing for #### to put the cats down.

eat: arsenal's first four letters get censored but dicktard assholio doesn't.

Edited by El Floppo

might be old news, but Miami FC will play in NASL.

gotta say, given the USL, I continue to not get the end-game for NASL.

I assume in the end the best USL/NASL teams will end up as MLS expansion teams and the USL/NASL will merge into the second tier of the MLS. Hopefully that will allow promotion/relegation in the MLS. Which would be awesome!!!

In fact, I think the USL/NASL should merge now and then the next time the MLS want to expand it should be a promotion battle w/ no relegation in the MLS that year. I love promotion/relegation battles.

• Like 1

I assume in the end the best USL/NASL teams will end up as MLS expansion teams and the USL/NASL will merge into the second tier of the MLS. Hopefully that will allow promotion/relegation in the MLS. Which would be awesome!!!

In fact, I think the USL/NASL should merge now and then the next time the MLS want to expand it should be a promotion battle w/ no relegation in the MLS that year. I love promotion/relegation battles.

that would be a great end game.

in the mean time, I like that the NASL isn't bound by MLS's financial structure. allows teams like the Cosmos (and maybe Miami) to bring guys in that wouldn't necessarily fit or work in MLS.

that would be a great end game.

in the mean time, I like that the NASL isn't bound by MLS's financial structure. allows teams like the Cosmos (and maybe Miami) to bring guys in that wouldn't necessarily fit or work in MLS.

The NASL Miami thing is interesting given Beckham's problems down there.

I love Poke's idea of USL and NASL merging. From the recent moves, it is clear MLS and USL are in bed together. Whether that is to ultimately shut NASL down or merge them, I don't know.

Speaking of the Cosmos, I got a chuckle out of reading today that Eric Cantona is suing them :)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32817050

Has anyone been following the career of Hakan Calhanoglu?

He is a 21 year old Turkish player for Bayer Leverkusen and I was reading today that he is considered the best free kick taker in all of Europe.

He has scored 7 free kick goals this season for Bayer.

He was born and raised in Germany.

Sounds like another reason to be excited that the Bundesliga is coming to Fox.

He is a 21 year old Turkish player for Bayer Leverkusen and I was reading today that he is considered the best free kick taker in all of Europe.

I remember him in the u10 WC- fantastic with both feet, despite his deformity.

I remember him in the u10 WC- fantastic with both feet, despite his deformity.

:lmao: