What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Also, suppose I'll ask....is anyone playing this summer? I suffered a dislocated shoulder playing a co-ed game a few weeks ago on the eve of our men's summer season so will miss most or all of the season, sadly.

Interesting thing though, the Buffalo News now posts the scores of the games in the newspaper every week, right in the same section as MLS scores, lacrosse scores, and so on. Just another sign that soccer is coming along in America....I don't see any flag football or local basketball leagues or anything like that having their scores posted in the paper....
Twice a week pickup is the plan for the summer. Been doing at least once a week for the past two years. It's my favorite 2hrs of the week. I hate when I'm out of town and miss it.Btw, you don't use your shoulder in soccer, guy.
You soft guys don't, Shirley
:lol: Nice. I'm actually more hands and elbows #norefs

so I made it to Parc Des Princes to watch PSG vs Reims. :thumbup:
:thumbup;

thanks for the write-up, and interesting to hear specifics about the stadium. Do they play in an olympic style stadium, with a track around the field? IME, those always suck, putting the fans way too far from the field.

I'm reminded too of either last summer or the summer before, when Zlatan switched from Milan to PSG. I had tickets to see both teams play in NYC- so I figured I was going to see him play for at least one of the teams... nope. He had just left Milan, but wasn't integrated into the team yet with PSG enough to p[lay
there is no track around the field , 10-15 feet and 30-45 feet space behind the nets

the fans behind the nets were the loudest with the 1 side being the most vocal singing 80/85$ of the time

im going to try head back to Europe twice a year so ill try to plan to see other stadiums , not sure I'll try to get back to see psg

"Derby Della Capitale"; Roma vs. Lazio @ 12:00 today. 2nd place in Serie A at stake, with automatic advancement to group stages of UCL on the line. This fixture is known for its professionalism and the mutual respect/admiration both sides have for each other...should be quite quaint...(FORZA ROMA, LAZIO PEZZO DI MERDA...VAFFANCULO!) Looking forward to a classy and measured encounter, as always...

Also, suppose I'll ask....is anyone playing this summer? I suffered a dislocated shoulder playing a co-ed game a few weeks ago on the eve of our men's summer season so will miss most or all of the season, sadly.

Interesting thing though, the Buffalo News now posts the scores of the games in the newspaper every week, right in the same section as MLS scores, lacrosse scores, and so on. Just another sign that soccer is coming along in America....I don't see any flag football or local basketball leagues or anything like that having their scores posted in the paper....
Twice a week pickup is the plan for the summer. Been doing at least once a week for the past two years. It's my favorite 2hrs of the week. I hate when I'm out of town and miss it.Btw, you don't use your shoulder in soccer, guy.
:goodposting:

Maybe I should quit the organized game played by men and play the much softer pickup game ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Derby Della Capitale"; Roma vs. Lazio @ 12:00 today. 2nd place in Serie A at stake, with automatic advancement to group stages of UCL on the line. This fixture is known for its professionalism and the mutual respect/admiration both sides have for each other...should be quite quaint...(FORZA ROMA, LAZIO PEZZO DI MERDA...VAFFANCULO!) Looking forward to a classy and measured encounter, as always...
:lol:

Didn't you hurt yourself playing against women?
There were women on the field, yes.........

I got fouled hard by some guy who had probably 50 lbs on me while trying to get a shot off in the box, landed on the arm awkwardly. Same guy later got a straight red for a two-footed slide tackle on our star CB and the shoving/swearing match that ensued, during which he told the ref to go #### himself.

There were women on the field, yes.........I got fouled hard by some guy who had probably 50 lbs on me while trying to get a shot off in the box, landed on the arm awkwardly. Same guy later got a straight red for a two-footed slide tackle on our star CB and the shoving/swearing match that ensued, during which he told the ref to go #### himself.
So, yes. Playing against women.

There were women on the field, yes.........I got fouled hard by some guy who had probably 50 lbs on me while trying to get a shot off in the box, landed on the arm awkwardly. Same guy later got a straight red for a two-footed slide tackle on our star CB and the shoving/swearing match that ensued, during which he told the ref to go #### himself.
So, yes. Playing against women.
No cazzo(i)?

I haven't played organized soccer since I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure that I'm in good enough shape that I would make a solid butcher at CB in an over 35 men's league. Good idea?

Caro's Sacking is about to be Official.

If you guys don't follow @DiMarzio on twitter, I suggest you do. The guy's rumors about 95% accurate, and he busts stories days/weeks before anyone else.

also has an english site, since I doubt many of you speak italian

OFFICAL: Ancelotti sacked as manager of Madrid.

note: He is currently at dinner with Adriano Galliani and Ernesto Bronzetti (agent), of Milan

ZURICH -- FIFA has deferred a decision on potentially limiting which continents can bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

FIFA's executive committee met on Monday and had the option of blocking bids from confederations which hosted one of the two previous tournaments.

The panel meets again on Saturday.

As Russia will host the 2018 World Cup, the rule could exclude Europe from 2026 bidding. The United States, Canada and Mexico are likely candidates.

FIFA says the executive committee decided that the 2026 host will be chosen on May 10, 2017, by its congress of member federations in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Blatter is such an evil genius. Really one of the great evil masterminds.

I can just see the behind the scenes conversations going on. Blatter to Canada, US, Mexico....any of you want to pony up some money...no?...ok...how about you China?...is that a yes?...ok you want the WC in 2026 or 2030...you have a week to decide. Thank you, please come again.

Happy to see Norwich get promoted, as I mentioned earlier to the chagrin of some. I am really curious to see what Jenkins has planned for Swans transactions this summer. I can easily see a backslide to the bottom half of the table if depth is not addressed, preferably in the form of at least one more striker. All signs point to contract extensions for Garry Monk and Fabianski, and both are well-deserved.

I can just see the behind the scenes conversations going on. Blatter to Canada, US, Mexico....any of you want to pony up some money...no?...ok...how about you China?...is that a yes?...ok you want the WC in 2026 or 2030...you have a week to decide. Thank you, please come again.
But isn't Qatar in the Asian confederation? So China can't host in 2026 or 2030, right?That essentially leaves the Americas for 2026 methinks.

Ah,I now see that fifa has not adopted this proposal. I guess I just assumed that Asia couldn't host twice in a row, since it was in Europe every other cycle for a long time.

It'll have to go to Europe again in 2026 or 2030, as I'm sure many in UEFA feel that Russia doesn't really count as continental Europe. But then again Blatter has shown he doesn't give two ####s about UEFA.

But isn't Qatar in the Asian confederation? So China can't host in 2026 or 2030, right?

That essentially leaves the Americas for 2026 methinks.
You're missing the part where they're holding off deciding if it should be a continental rotation until Saturday. Reading between the lines that means they (and by they I mean Blatter) want a non-CONCACAF team in 2026 or China in 2030 (need to get off that pesky no Fed in 8 years policy).

Put it this way I won't be shocked if they open 2026 to anyone but Asia and then 2030 to everyone but the 2026 host as a way to get China in 2030.

CHELSEA and Liverpool target Andrea Pirlo is considering a move to Major League Soccer, according to reports.

By Izzy Horsefield
PUBLISHED: 12:09, Tue, May 26, 2015 | UPDATED: 12:20, Tue, May 26, 2015

Pirlo is expected to leave Juventus this summer and both Chelsea and Liverpool are reportedly considering a move for the 35-year-old.

However, instead of heading to the Premier League, Pirlo is considering the option of moving to America to join New York City.

Reports suggest negotiations between Juventus and New York are on track and Pirlo believes its time for a change.

Juventus are reportedly considering a move for Bayern Munich player maker Xabi Alonso to replace the veteran.

Happy to see Norwich get promoted, as I mentioned earlier to the chagrin of some. I am really curious to see what Jenkins has planned for Swans transactions this summer. I can easily see a backslide to the bottom half of the table if depth is not addressed, preferably in the form of at least one more striker. All signs point to contract extensions for Garry Monk and Fabianski, and both are well-deserved.
I am assuming Monk would not sign a contract without an agreement to bring in reinforcements this summer. They definitely need to bring in a striker and an outside back to play opposite Naughton. Montero looked good at times on the outside but it shouldn't be hard to upgrade Dyer. I have faith that Hew will get it right again and give this team the players needed to stay in the top 10.

CHELSEA and Liverpool target Andrea Pirlo is considering a move to Major League Soccer, according to reports.

By Izzy Horsefield

Pirlo is expected to leave Juventus this summer and both Chelsea and [SIZE=100%]Liverpool[/SIZE] are reportedly considering a move for the 35-year-old.

However, instead of heading to the Premier League, Pirlo is considering the option of moving to America to join New York City.

Reports suggest negotiations between [SIZE=100%]Juventus[/SIZE] and New York are on track and Pirlo believes its time for a change.

Juventus are reportedly considering a move for Bayern Munich player maker [SIZE=100%]Xabi Alonso[/SIZE] to replace the veteran.
wink, wink.

Pirlo, Lampard and Villa... that would be fun. for a year- until the travel and turf beats the #### out of their colletive 150years.

I am assuming Monk would not sign a contract without an agreement to bring in reinforcements this summer. They definitely need to bring in a striker and an outside back to play opposite Naughton. Montero looked good at times on the outside but it shouldn't be hard to upgrade Dyer. I have faith that Hew will get it right again and give this team the players needed to stay in the top 10.
I liked how Dyer played this year.

El Floppo said:
NewlyRetired said:

By Izzy Horsefield

Pirlo is expected to leave Juventus this summer and both Chelsea and [SIZE=100%]Liverpool[/SIZE] are reportedly considering a move for the 35-year-old.

Reports suggest negotiations between [SIZE=100%]Juventus[/SIZE] and New York are on track and Pirlo believes its time for a change.

Juventus are reportedly considering a move for Bayern Munich player maker [SIZE=100%]Xabi Alonso[/SIZE] to replace the veteran.
wink, wink.

Pirlo, Lampard and Villa... that would be fun. for a year- until the travel and turf beats the #### out of their colletive 150years.
it is odd, but in many ways their lives would be easier staying in the top leagues and being super sub types. Not only is the travel and turf going to chew them up, some kid pulled up from a USL side is going to try and make a name for himself by giving crunching tackles to them. Becks went through this when he first got here and it was kind of ugly.

Sammy3469 said:
El Floppo said:
lol that FIFA "can't" do whatever they/the money wants.
Yeah, they clearly want China to host at some point and need to massage the 2026 process to get to that point for political reasons vis a vis UEFA.
We should just expect China to host in 2030. The U.S. needs to start playing the game for 2026. There's no way Mexico or Canada should get it over the USA.

Sammy3469 said:
El Floppo said:
Yeah, they clearly want China to host at some point and need to massage the 2026 process to get to that point for political reasons vis a vis UEFA.
We should just expect China to host in 2030. The U.S. needs to start playing the game for 2026. There's no way Mexico or Canada should get it over the USA.
Removing the FIFA variable of corruptness I agree that Canada does not belong.

Mexico has a pretty good case though from a stadium stand point as there have been many new and refurbished stadiums the last few years. They won't need to spend much at all on stadiums (like the US).

If the World Cup were to expand to 40 teams I would even be ok if the US and Mexico shared the WC,

Floppo...is there any section at Yankee stadium that is even sort of OK viewing for a 3.5 year old?
whole place sucks.

best seats I've been in were behind the goal on the north- sec 136 (133 would be fine too- or opposite goal). better to get the kid closer to the action and players, IMO- even if they might be 100 yards away for stretches. I've sat more midfield, and you're a million miles away, looking over acres of infield or other bs.

Sammy3469 said:
El Floppo said:
Removing the FIFA variable of corruptness I agree that Canada does not belong.

Mexico has a pretty good case though from a stadium stand point as there have been many new and refurbished stadiums the last few years. They won't need to spend much at all on stadiums (like the US).

If the World Cup were to expand to 40 teams I would even be ok if the US and Mexico shared the WC,
Sharing would be interesting, and I'd be down for that. Unlike the rest if you, I like Mexico.

A Malaysian fan group’s protest against Premier League clubs organizing lucrative friendly matches in the country appears to have been effective, with only 19,000 tickets sold for Tottenham Hotspur’s fixture on Wednesday.

The Ultras Malaya had labelled Spurs’ game against a Malaysian XI and the 24 July visit from Liverpool as “circus matches”, and expressed anger at the disruption caused to their domestic league as well as the World Cup qualifying preparations. The group had asked fans to rip up any free tickets offered and urged people to boycott the match.

The Spurs squad arrived in Malaysia on Tuesday with organizers hopeful they would be able to boost the attendance before kick-off at the 80,000-capacity Shah Alam Stadium.

The ProEvents Group chief executive officer Julian Kam told the Malaysian news agency Bernama: “I hope we will reach 30,000 by tomorrow. It will be a very entertaining game for the fans to enjoy the moments.”

However, a less-than-half-full stadium will still be an unusual sight for English clubs travelling to Malaysia. In recent years Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have all managed to attract over 80,000 fans for friendly matches in the country.

Yet the Ultras Malaya argue they have seen little impact over the years of the money-spinning matches and have fears about the state of the national team, who dwindle at a worst ever Fifa ranking of 166th.

Kam defended the fixture and said Malaysia would benefit from the arrival of fans flocking from around the region to see the north London side. “The tourists will not just spend on the game, they will spend for the hotel, food and transportation, which is good for the country,” he said.

So the Bundesliga is on Fox next year. I need a team. I'm a Tottenham fan, and have never been a front runner so Bayern Munich is out. I've narrowed it down to Wolfsburg, Monchengladbach, and Schalke. Possibly also Dortmund.

Can any of you that are fans sell me on one of the teams? I'm favoring Monchengladback despite the long name because of Fab Johnson (Go Nats!). Although ideally I would like a team in a bigger city so that when I visit Europe I can catch a game easily (ugh, Hertha Berlin sucks).

Here's what I know about each team.

- Wolfsburg, cool logo and uniforms. Have De Bruyne and Schurrle.

- 'Gladback, also a cool logo. Have Fab Johnson and a kid named Hazard. (I recognize nobody else on their roster, how did they finish second.)

- Shalke, why so proud of the 04? Is it really that cool? Ugh on the logo. Have Christian Fuchs, which is the best name ever. And Julian Draxler, rumored to be moved to EPL for several years now.

- Dortmund, color and logo are alright. I know a ton of their players from FIFA and World Cup 2014 (Reus, Gundogan, Immobile, Hummels, etc) but somehow their team did crappy this year. What's up with that?

So, wise 'soccer' fans of the FFA... help me pick my Bundes team...

So the Bundesliga is on Fox next year. I need a team. I'm a Tottenham fan, and have never been a front runner so Bayern Munich is out. I've narrowed it down to Wolfsburg, Monchengladbach, and Schalke. Possibly also Dortmund.

Can any of you that are fans sell me on one of the teams? I'm favoring Monchengladback despite the long name because of Fab Johnson (Go Nats!). Although ideally I would like a team in a bigger city so that when I visit Europe I can catch a game easily (ugh, Hertha Berlin sucks).

- 'Gladback, also a cool logo. Have Fab Johnson and a kid named Hazard. (I recognize nobody else on their roster, how did they finish second.)

- Shalke, why so proud of the 04? Is it really that cool? Ugh on the logo. Have Christian Fuchs, which is the best name ever. And Julian Draxler, rumored to be moved to EPL for several years now.

- Dortmund, color and logo are alright. I know a ton of their players from FIFA and World Cup 2014 (Reus, Gundogan, Immobile, Hummels, etc) but somehow their team did crappy this year. What's up with that?

Ingolstadt

Teams with US Nats include

Gladbach, Ingostadt, Hertha, and Frankfurt (technically Bayern Munich as well but that is all but useless for Green but he could get loaned to another Bundesliga club), and partially Dortmund.

I would go with Gladbach. Good team, will be in Champions League group stage and has a US connection that is a regular starter.

Teams with US Nats include

Gladbach, Ingostadt, Hertha, and Frankfurt (technically Bayern Munich as well but that is all but useless for Green but he could get loaned to another Bundesliga club), and partially Dortmund.

I would go with Gladbach. Good team, will be in Champions League group stage and has a US connection that is a regular starter.
I'm leaning that way... I forgot about Alfredo at Ingostadt, that could be interesting. Hertha sucks and as much as I like JAB, even he can't get me to root for that 'hot mess'. I've never been a big Timmy Chandler fan, so Frankfurt is out. Not that I don't like the kid, just never grabbed my attention like Fab.

Can you unpack the 'partially Dortmund' comment? Did I miss something there?

El Floppo said:
berndog said:
Autumn Wind said:
I liked how Dyer played this year.
His pace puts him in great situations but more often than not the end product is lacking. You can never fault his effort and I think he has a spot on the squad but I would enjoy seeing Barrow get more opportunities or bringing in someone else to challenge him.

:lol: Nice. I'm actually more hands and elbows #norefs
:fro: ?

Got the over 35 7 v 7 starting tomorrow night. Sunday league done for summer.

Users who are viewing this thread