What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

@SkySportsNewsHQ: Sky Sources: Swiss nationals working for Fifa including Sepp Blatter told by investigators they can't leave Switzerland until further notice

@SkySportsNewsHQ: Sky Sources: Swiss nationals working for Fifa including Sepp Blatter told by investigators they can't leave Switzerland until further notice
If this whole thing doesn't include Sepp I will be sad.

I'm cautiously optimistic right now. But I want his head served up on a nice pitch for all the teams to use in a friendly.

Related?

@EASPORTSFIFA: We're currently investigating the connectivity issues affecting #FIFA15. Sorry for the inconvenience.

@FOXSoccer: Blatter: "Let me be clear: Such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game."

The NASL reacted quickly to distance themselves.

===================================

In light of the ongoing investigation announced by the U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday, the North American Soccer League’s Board of Governors has suspended Chairperson Aaron Davidson, along with all business activities between the league and Traffic Sports, effective immediately. Commissioner Bill Peterson will serve as acting Chairperson.

The Carolina RailHawks, the sole NASL club owned by Traffic Sports, will continue to operate in the ordinary course of business. The club's management team will continue to manage the day-to-day operations.

US Soccer's statement. As long as SUM stays out of the news, they can likely just keep their heads down.

The United States Soccer Federation firmly believes there is no higher priority, and nothing more important, than protecting the integrity of our game. We are committed to the highest ethical standards and business practices, and we will continue to encourage CONCACAF and FIFA to promote the same values. Out of respect for the ongoing investigation, we will not speculate or comment further on this matter at this time.

Hey so in fun soccer news... go Dnipro!

GOAL DNIPRO!!! Matheus' cross is perfect for Kalinic, who heads in the opener!! 1-0

P.S. In August 1989, I actually saw Dnipro (then Dnepr and the top team in the Soviet League) play US Men’s National Team at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. The Nats won 1-0 with over 43,000 fans in attendance. Tony Meola's hair was fabulous. Good times.
completely routing for non Spanish/German/Italian/English team here.
Dear Dnipro, I am sorry to have jinxed you:

28' GOAL SEVILLA!! Krychowiak finds the ball at his feet in the penalty area, and blasts it in!! 1-1 via/u/ScottieHippen

29' What a moment for Krychowiak as he scores in native country! That goal had been coming.

31' GOAL SEVILLA!! A slip by a Dnipro defender lets Carlos Bacca in on goal, who rounds Boyko and slots home!! 2-1 via /u/ScottieHippen

GOAL DNIPRO!!! Matheus' cross is perfect for Kalinic, who heads in the opener!! 1-0

P.S. In August 1989, I actually saw Dnipro (then Dnepr and the top team in the Soviet League) play US Mens National Team at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. The Nats won 1-0 with over 43,000 fans in attendance. Tony Meola's hair was fabulous. Good times.
VIVA SEVILLA

P.S. In August 1989, I actually saw Dnipro (then Dnepr and the top team in the Soviet League) play US Men’s National Team at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. The Nats won 1-0 with over 43,000 fans in attendance. Tony Meola's hair was fabulous. Good times.

28' GOAL SEVILLA!! Krychowiak finds the ball at his feet in the penalty area, and blasts it in!! 1-1

29' What a moment for Krychowiak as he scores in native country! That goal had been coming.

31' GOAL SEVILLA!! A slip by a Dnipro defender lets Carlos Bacca in on goal, who rounds Boyko and slots home!! 2-1
44' GOAL DNIPRO!! Rotan curls it in beautifully!! 2-2

Good post taken from Reddit...

This is more than just a wild stab, this is the real deal. Federal criminal indictments have an astonishingly high conviction rate in this country, like over 80 93 percent. Because so much more is required of federal prosecutors. You can't just convince a federal judge that there is probable cause, like in state court. You have to win over a federal grand jury to get the indictment. Especially with corruption, conspiracy, racketeering, wire fraud-type cases, a federal prosecutor is not going to move forward on something this high profile without airtight evidence and testimony. There's probably reams and gigabytes of rock solid financial records and emails, I bet. The fact the Swiss are swiftly assisting with arrests and extradition seals it, for me.

There's also no parole in federal prison. And there are sentence enhancements to the moon for these kinds of white-collar crimes under federal sentencing guidelin

This is more than just a wild stab, this is the real deal. Federal criminal indictments have an astonishingly high conviction rate in this country, like over 80 93 percent. Because so much more is required of federal prosecutors. You can't just convince a federal judge that there is probable cause, like in state court. You have to win over a federal grand jury to get the indictment. Especially with corruption, conspiracy, racketeering, wire fraud-type cases, a federal prosecutor is not going to move forward on something this high profile without airtight evidence and testimony. There's probably reams and gigabytes of rock solid financial records and emails, I bet. The fact the Swiss are swiftly assisting with arrests and extradition seals it, for me.

There's also no parole in federal prison. And there are sentence enhancements to the moon for these kinds of white-collar crimes under federal sentencing guidelin
Yeah, I think typically the amount of time served for federal raps is well over 90%. The upside is that it's far less dangerous, I guess.

Yeah, I think typically the amount of time served for federal raps is well over 90%. The upside is that it's far less dangerous, I guess.
Butner, NC is beautiful in the spring :unsure:

Off topic a little bit, San Quentin is actually situated in a pretty scenic part of Marin. But according to a family member of mine ( :oldunsure: ), there are some windows in there that have literally never been washed for logistical reasons...which means they're only windows in name only I guess.

There is parole, but normally there's an 85% rule, meaning the convicted must serve at least 85% of the full sentence and spend the remaining 15% on parole. This is really just a misuse of the word parole.

Also the enhancements part is important, that means a felony with 20 years in the guidelines could balloon to 40 or so easily. (Don't read anything into the years used in the example.)

Butner, NC is beautiful in the spring :unsure:
:oldunsure: My parents used to visit an old family friend in one of the Butner facilities ... he died at the age of 79

I also can't see the Attorney General and FBI director personally attending a news conference on a case they aren't pretty confident about.

As cartoonishly evil as Fifa is, it's a shock nobody has poisoned Blatter or something. I bet he has a food taster like a 17th century King.

Last edited by a moderator:

I also can't see the Attorney General and FBI director personally attending a news conference on a case they aren't pretty confident about.
Apparently this was her case from the beginning....reading between the lines it's one of the things that got her promoted to Attorney General.

28' GOAL SEVILLA!! Krychowiak finds the ball at his feet in the penalty area, and blasts it in!! 1-1

31' GOAL SEVILLA!! A slip by a Dnipro defender lets Carlos Bacca in on goal, who rounds Boyko and slots home!! 2-1
44' GOAL DNIPRO!! Rotan curls it in beautifully!! 2-2
73' GOAL SEVILLA!! The ball somehow is played through to Carlos Bacca, and he places it past Boyko!! 3-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: Can FIFA survive this scandal?

A: FIFA's enormous leverage over the world's most popular sport and its massive cash reserves may be enough to allow the organization to survive. The television contracts that are the heart of the business will remain lucrative for the sport and for the networks. But the scandal will eliminate a generation of executives, and there will be a mad scramble as others seek to gain the positions once occupied by those charged Wednesday. The likelihood is that FIFA will survive, but it will survive in an altered form with new leadership.

I hearby nominate El Floppo and NewlyRetired to the FIFA Executive Committee. All in favor?

There is parole, but normally there's an 85% rule, meaning the convicted must serve at least 85% of the full sentence and spend the remaining 15% on parole. This is really just a misuse of the word parole.

Also the enhancements part is important, that means a felony with 20 years in the guidelines could balloon to 40 or so easily. (Don't read anything into the years used in the example.)
I don't know much about soccer, but I do know more than most about federal criminal law and prison. There is no parole, but a prisoner can receive up to 15% off for good behavior (really about 13% based on some crazy math). It's not a misuse of the word. Good time and parole are different.

Now, there are definitely enhancements in the sentencing guidelines for large $$$ white collar crimes, but the guidelines are 1) not mandatory, meaning judges don't have to follow them and 2) in most white collar cases judges do NOT follow them, because the numbers are really absurdly enhanced based mostly on $$ figures.

Based on the alleged crimes here and the age of the biggest players I'd guess the highest sentence will still be less than 10 years. Still nothing to sneeze at.

Users who are viewing this thread