What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

He is a nice player.  Not a game breaker like his compatriot Almiron is but should make for a nice experienced pro for Austin to build off of.

Not a tremendous goal scorer but he can be employed as a striker or a left sided player who cuts in.  He was very good for Club America a couple of years ago

From what I have seen, he would be below average as a #1 DP for an MLS team but a solid #3 DP for an MLS team.  If your 2 other DP's will be better than him, that should make for a good foundation.
That's the thing about all these signings, right? It's hard to tell when you only have two players on your roster. We'll be breaking the signing down, along with interviewing Austin FC Academy Technical Director Juan Delgado (who pointed out that the state of Texas is as big as the entire country of Spain where he grew up) on the Capital City Soccer Show, coming to all your favorite podcasting platforms tomorrow morning.

Milan are working on a deal to bring Brahim Diaz to Milan on Loan with Option to Buy. Good signs from both clubs as Milan and Real Madrid have a good relationship 

ESPN reporting Chelsea to sign Thiago Silva from PSG (on a free). 

Thought he looked great for PSG post covid and especially in the finals. Huge signing for them in a position of need, if true. Not sure how all these signings by Chelsea for the fair wages thing...

ETA...whoa...he's 35. Thought he was younger. So they don't want club legend William to hang around, but this old Brazilian is ok (I get it...position of need for them)

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN reporting Chelsea to sign Thiago Silva from PSG (on a free). 

Thought he looked great for PSG post covid and especially in the finals. Huge signing for them in a position of need, if true. Not sure how all these signings by Chelsea for the fair wages thing...

ETA...whoa...he's 35. Thought he was younger. So they don't want club legend William to hang around, but this old Brazilian is ok (I get it...position of need for them)
Your're 4 hours late on this news. Or Maybe ESPN is. Schirra reported this over 8 hours ago today 

McGuire commits the crime, Lindelof fights the crime...

Harry Maguire found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and bribery

Manchester United's Victor Lindelof helps catch robber in home city of Vasteras

McGuire has suddenly become the Pogba of the Def to United fans.  Despite all evidence to the contrary, he has improved the defense (from 11th to 3rd best, and a couple De Gea howlers from 1st or 2nd best).  Has he been perfect? No.  But he has improved the team.  He needs a pacy left footed partner now.  But a select few fans want him out.  I don't get it.

But, depending on what the Greek's do, United may need a pacy left footed partner for Lindelof instead.  Reports are McGuire can pay a fine instead of the max 2 years in jail but we will see once sentencing commences.  

Maguire's been great.  No idea who's bashing him.

I did get a kick out of Southgate picking Maguire for a national team call up and Grealish got snubbed.  Twitterverse was going crazy about all that.

I did get a kick out of Southgate picking Maguire for a national team call up and Grealish got snubbed.  Twitterverse was going crazy about all that.
Thats funny, esp since they play different positions so highly doubtful one blocks the other.

Besides the opposing fans poking fun at the $ spent, there's a segement of United fans that seem to blame him for everything (like they do Pogba).  Since he isn't fast and didn't score with his head, they seem to believe he isnt an improvement.  

Thats funny, esp since they play different positions so highly doubtful one blocks the other.
Well it's moreso that the coach picked a player that was sitting in jail rather than the player who created the second most attempts in the premier league last year.  

It's like when Zidane named Ramos to his 24 man club in a CL match, even though Ramos was suspended over Bale and James.  Things like this make me snicker.

Well it's moreso that the coach picked a player that was sitting in jail rather than the player who created the second most attempts in the premier league last year.  

It's like when Zidane named Ramos to his 24 man club in a CL match, even though Ramos was suspended over Bale and James.  Things like this make me snicker.
True.  Either way, not sure how Graelish did get a call up or who's in front of him, but to blame McGuire is silly.

Just saw he was sentenced to 21 months and 10 days in jail but it will be suspended since its his first offense and they are misdemeaners.  He also says he will appeal.
This all sounds wishy washy to me.  But we'll see how it plays out and people smarter then me break it down.

Besides the opposing fans poking fun at the $ spent, there's a segement of United fans that seem to blame him for everything (like they do Pogba).  Since he isn't fast and didn't score with his head, they seem to believe he isnt an improvement.  
He's a good upgrade over what they had, and is pretty consistent...good positioning, good in the air and good against the dribble. I don't think he's been amazing or anywhere near the difference maker that VVD is...but definitely an upgrade. I don't like that he still runs through players too often- gives up too many free kicks around the box.

I think Thiago Silva will be more of an impact player at CB if reports of his move to Chels are true.

He's a good upgrade over what they had, and is pretty consistent...good positioning, good in the air and good against the dribble. I don't think he's been amazing or anywhere near the difference maker that VVD is...but definitely an upgrade. I don't like that he still runs through players too often- gives up too many free kicks around the box.

I think Thiago Silva will be more of an impact player at CB if reports of his move to Chels are true.
Completely agree with the McGuire take.  He was needed.  Was he worth the money? A 26 year old English International coming into his prime?  We shall see.

I also get the feeling they don't like him since he isn't a Keane type captain and isn't as good as Rio or Vidic.  I think hes been a great signing, esp considering he was hurt and is more natural on the right.  He and Lindelof are similar players, Rio and Vidic were not.  They need to get him a partner that complements his style.  Someone with pace and some agression.  Bailly could be if he would stop getting hurt.  

Will be interesting to see how Silva fits into the Chelsea d and how his 35 year old body handles the EPL. His leadership will probably be huge for that young team.  

Will be interesting to see how Silva fits into the Chelsea d and how his 35 year old body handles the EPL. His leadership will probably be huge for that young team.  
It will be interesting.  I think even just his leadership on the field will help Chelsea immensely, but I watched him in the UCL final and he shut down the best striker in the world IMO.  I think he will be a huge boon to Chelsea's defense.

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but ffs who can afford this guy

Kristof Terreur 

@HLNinEngeland

This is Messi's wage package at Barcelona according to Football Leaks: 60.395.769 euro basic yearly wages (£988.000 a week), £9.100.000 per year on image rights, £13.000.000 a year on possible bonuses plus signing on & loyalty fee (£120.000.000 over 5 years).

It will be interesting.  I think even just his leadership on the field will help Chelsea immensely, but I watched him in the UCL final and he shut down the best striker in the world IMO.  I think he will be a huge boon to Chelsea's defense.
He shut down Zlatan? Oh, is Zlatan the only one that says hes the best?  

He had a good game and made sure Lew only hit the post and the bar.  The EPL is a more physical league imo, and the fixtures seem to come fast and furious.  Worry about the grind of it on him.  But his leadership and his savy will for sure help Chelsea.

Sky Sports News

BREAKING: Harry Maguire has been dropped by England manager Gareth Southgate

:oldunsure:
Was just coming to post this.

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but ffs who can afford this guy

Kristof Terreur 

@HLNinEngeland

This is Messi's wage package at Barcelona according to Football Leaks: 60.395.769 euro basic yearly wages (£988.000 a week), £9.100.000 per year on image rights, £13.000.000 a year on possible bonuses plus signing on & loyalty fee (£120.000.000 over 5 years).
City, PSG, Chelsea.... If thats what he would demand of his new team.

Guess Inter Miami would be out.

McGuire commits the crime, Lindelof fights the crime...

Harry Maguire found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and bribery

Manchester United's Victor Lindelof helps catch robber in home city of Vasteras

McGuire has suddenly become the Pogba of the Def to United fans.  Despite all evidence to the contrary, he has improved the defense (from 11th to 3rd best, and a couple De Gea howlers from 1st or 2nd best).  Has he been perfect? No.  But he has improved the team.  He needs a pacy left footed partner now.  But a select few fans want him out.  I don't get it.

But, depending on what the Greek's do, United may need a pacy left footed partner for Lindelof instead.  Reports are McGuire can pay a fine instead of the max 2 years in jail but we will see once sentencing commences.  
I saw he pays the fine since it's his first offense no jail time. 

Next report is Koeman told Messi "The privileges are over" and "You have to think about the team".  So Messi wants out.
I haven't seen this linked from any of the Barcelona writers, but I would hope Messi realizes this is going to be true anywhere if he wants to win the CL again. Having one player that doesn't have a real position and doesn't play defense causes a lot of difficulty when the other team has the ball.  That's one reason I always thought he would leave to a much smaller league like the MLS.

I haven't seen this linked from any of the Barcelona writers, but I would hope Messi realizes this is going to be true anywhere if he wants to win the CL again. Having one player that doesn't have a real position and doesn't play defense causes a lot of difficulty when the other team has the ball.  That's one reason I always thought he would leave to a much smaller league like the MLS.
Funny you mention that since the Orlando coach reportedly doesn't instruct Nani, just lets him play.  

But to your point, Barca was too reliant on Messi and he knew it.  I agree with Koeman, just not sure if that directness was the right tact to take with the club icon and one of the best ever.  On the other hand, 6 starters over 30, dramatic failure after the restart, no CL title.... A major overhaul is needed.  So maybe telling Suarez and Messi to eff off isnt a bad move.

Next report is Koeman told Messi "The privileges are over" and "You have to think about the team".  So Messi wants out.
I've never suspected that Messi got privileges. In a way if you are Messi I think there is privilege to be had that was deserved. Especially to a guy like Messi who has always shown great loyalty to the club. I don't know the inter-workings or much of Barca other then what I see and read in the media or an occasional match in the Champions League though. However I never got the impression that Messi was privileged. There's been rumors for yrs and someone mentioned this who is a family friend but Messi might be Autistic (Aspergers to be specific and what I have) and if thats the case that shouldn't be Messi getting privileges and thinking about the team. If he does have this let me just say the way we act sometimes it seems we don't care about anything but ourselves but it's the total opposite. Our Brains don't function to give off the feelings or body posture or facial expressions you expect. Sometimes our reactions might be deamed "Inappropriate". We also need to feel comfortable in our surroundings and change big changes can be hard for us to adapt to sometimes. What Koemen sees as special treatment is more of helping Messi stay in a comfort level.

Now these reports of Autism for Messi are unconfirmed but they've been talked about numerous times and been reported by various media outlets he was diagnosed with it as a child. Messi has never confirmed or denied the reports but many Autism Awareness foundations have recognized him as such. Now if true Barca most likely knows and has kept it a secrete. Perhaps Koeman isn't aware of this yet. if he is then and doing this the dude is a Jerk who deserves a swift kick in the nuts. I've also been pretty good at figuring out people with some sort of autism before they tell me they have it as well. Just from celebrities who have been confirmed who have it, to people I've met with it to myself I can tell you Messi most likely has some sort of Autism. Why the way he reacts to everything from quitting Argentina to going back on and other actions he's had is exactly stuff I'd do as well. Also when you watch him on camera he hardly makes eye contact with the interviewer. There's other hints as well that most people who aren't aware, don't have it or not looking for it would pick up as well. 

Funny you mention that since the Orlando coach reportedly doesn't instruct Nani, just lets him play.  

But to your point, Barca was too reliant on Messi and he knew it.  I agree with Koeman, just not sure if that directness was the right tact to take with the club icon and one of the best ever.  On the other hand, 6 starters over 30, dramatic failure after the restart, no CL title.... A major overhaul is needed.  So maybe telling Suarez and Messi to eff off isnt a bad move.
You got to do it in a respectful way though. Messi has been incredible loyal to the club, Maybe don't be so blunt with him. Be firm about your wishes and maybe ask the guy if he has questions or concerns about moving forward together. Koemen shouldn't be so off putting to Messi because I think Messi could be reliable for Koemen to see where things are wrong and right. Messi can be the voice the of the players in the dressing room.If this is how Koeman is gonna act then I don't see him lasting the new year at Barca if they aren't getting the results they hoped for. Yes Drastic changes need to happen but I don't think telling Messi to Eff off is a change needed at the moment. 

David Amoyal

@DavidAmoyal

Don’t mean to rain on your Messi parade, but on today’s report regarding Conte staying at Inter it was mentioned that the club made it clear to him they couldn’t swing another big expensive purchase like Lukaku

You got to do it in a respectful way though. Messi has been incredible loyal to the club, Maybe don't be so blunt with him. Be firm about your wishes and maybe ask the guy if he has questions or concerns about moving forward together. Koemen shouldn't be so off putting to Messi because I think Messi could be reliable for Koemen to see where things are wrong and right. Messi can be the voice the of the players in the dressing room.If this is how Koeman is gonna act then I don't see him lasting the new year at Barca if they aren't getting the results they hoped for. Yes Drastic changes need to happen but I don't think telling Messi to Eff off is a change needed at the moment. 
I honestly had not heard the Autism rumors for Messi. Or at least don't remember hearing any.  Either way, I do agree with you.  Its similar to Moyes coming into United and getting rid of all the backroom staff and trying to change the culture on day 1.  Not the best way to do that.  Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out for Messi, Barca and Koemen.

Maybe Koemen is the bad guy, comes in, clears everyone out, is gone after a year, they bring in Van Gaal, then Jose, then Xavi......

Great is an overstatement to me.  He's not been close to a Rio or Vidic.  He's probably been the steadiest CB they've had since them (unless I'm forgetting somebody) and I think he would be helped tremendously with a different partner.

Great is an overstatement to me.  He's not been close to a Rio or Vidic.  He's probably been the steadiest CB they've had since them (unless I'm forgetting somebody) and I think he would be helped tremendously with a different partner.
Its hard to live up to the greatest CB Duo in EPL history.  He and AWB were important pieces.  Now they need the right partner for him.

Tough crowd here :shrug:   he played every minute of every game this season.  He’s the second highest rated CB behind only VVD.  The only defensive player who won more aeriels in the league was VVD. he was the highest ranked CB in Europa league play. United’s defense allowed 36 goals in league play and only pool (33) and city (36) were better.  I’m not sure how much more you expected as they allowed 54 goals the year before. He’s the stalwart of the defense and been worth every penny in my eyes after years of running Smalling Jones lindelof etc... our there.  He’s just 27 and in my eyes the second best CB in the league.  

Tough crowd here :shrug:   he played every minute of every game this season.  He’s the second highest rated CB behind only VVD.  The only defensive player who won more aeriels in the league was VVD. he was the highest ranked CB in Europa league play. United’s defense allowed 36 goals in league play and only pool (33) and city (36) were better.  I’m not sure how much more you expected as they allowed 54 goals the year before. He’s the stalwart of the defense and been worth every penny in my eyes after years of running Smalling Jones lindelof etc... our there.  He’s just 27 and in my eyes the second best CB in the league.  
I demand perfection!

I honestly had not heard the Autism rumors for Messi. Or at least don't remember hearing any.  Either way, I do agree with you.  Its similar to Moyes coming into United and getting rid of all the backroom staff and trying to change the culture on day 1.  Not the best way to do that.  Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out for Messi, Barca and Koemen.

Maybe Koemen is the bad guy, comes in, clears everyone out, is gone after a year, they bring in Van Gaal, then Jose, then Xavi......
Koemen is in a tough spot because the board is still trying to hang on until an election in March. So it isn't clear who is driving the ship. Latest reports are that Bartomeu still is not resigning after this news.

Messi or not, there is a lot of dead weight to be cleared out. Perhaps he thinks he can build a team around an attack of Griezmann and Coutinho.

Messi's Father and Agent has told Barca he wants Lionel's deal terminated and make him a FA to choose a new club. This is getting good folks 

Look up Messi and Austin/Aspergers. There's been rumors for yrs even from local papers from his native Argentina. Not sure if true why the family wants to hide it if true though. I think in today's world he'd be viewed as a huge success and appreciated and understood more if its true. 

From part of an article on a report from SempreMilan.com on the situation 

"The Argentine has asked to be able to terminate his agreement through the unilateral clause that would allow him to leave the club on a free transfer.

However, the club are arguing that this clause expired on 10 June and that the contract is in the hands of the lawyers ready to respond to the player’s request, at least as per RAC1 (via MilanNews).

Nonetheless, Argentine outlet Ole have decided to take a look at the possible destination for the 33-year-old, and Milan feature on the list.

They state that Milan dreams of fighting for titles again both in Italy and in Europe and that Elliott Management have plenty of money to be able to splash out and make an investment that would turn the heads of world football.

Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal are also mentioned as being potential destinations, as are Inter, Juventus and PSG."

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

·1m

Also if Barcelona will insist to keep him and not considering his ‘free transfer clause’ as valid also right now because it was expired on June, Leo Messi will tell again to the board that he wants to leave the club. He wants to change. The battle is on. #FCB #Messi #Barça

Real Madrid are in advanced talks with Everton for James Rodriguez to be sold on next days. The deal is not done - but Carlo Ancelotti already contacted James to convince him. Real are also in negotiations with AC Milan to loan out Brahim Diaz. #RealMadrid #Real #EFC #Everton

Sporting KC started Besler tonight. Has pretty much thrown off everything for the team.

Lindsey and Busio in, those three are on the same side. Busio still playing the 6, but as the half has progressed he has had to drop farther back to cover for Besler and Lindsey.

Sucks, because he was looking good moving up and facilitating. Houston winning 2-1.

But dammit... MLS would he amazing. Maybe we'll finally get zidane too.
It seems the longest of long shots obviously but it is hard to shake the knowledge that the owner of Inter Miami was once himself thought to be untouchable by the same league.

MLS has one item that likely no other league can offer, and that is the golden package of cut rate ownership, in a league where franchise values have skyrocketed.  This is how they landed Beckham many years back.  Would they be willing to go into that pool one more time?

Even with this though, 1 out of a 1000 seems about right.

It seems the longest of long shots obviously but it is hard to shake the knowledge that the owner of Inter Miami was once himself thought to be untouchable by the same league.

MLS has one item that likely no other league can offer, and that is the golden package of cut rate ownership, in a league where franchise values have skyrocketed.  This is how they landed Beckham many years back.  Would they be willing to go into that pool one more time?

Even with this though, 1 out of a 1000 seems about right.
some one on twitter posted a more reasonable guess, using the same ownership carrot.

Messi signs with City Football Group and plays 3 years for Man City and then 3-4 years for NYCFC with ownership at the end if he sees out his contract.   Messi playing in a largely mythical NY soccer stadium would be pretty cool.

some one on twitter posted a more reasonable guess, using the same ownership carrot.

Messi signs with City Football Group and plays 3 years for Man City and then 3-4 years for NYCFC with ownership at the end if he sees out his contract.   Messi playing in a largely mythical NY soccer stadium would be pretty cool.
Woke up to this on ESPN.  Looks like this guess was not so far fetched

Man City's Messi contract could include New York City FC clause - sources

Users who are viewing this thread