What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

😢

==========================

Pelé

@Pele

Que notícia triste. Eu perdi um grande amigo e o mundo perdeu uma lenda. Ainda há muito a ser dito, mas por agora, que Deus dê força para os familiares. Um dia, eu espero que possamos jogar bola juntos no céu.

Translated from Portuguese

What sad news. I lost a great friend and the world lost a legend. There is still much to be said, but for now, may God give strength to family members. One day, I hope we can play ball together in the sky.
Losing diego immediately made me think about pele, who by all accounts is not doing great either (last I saw, he didn't want to make public appearances any more because he's been having a hard time walking/moving.)

I hope my version of things is wrong.

The Puskas nominees are out and can be voted on.

https://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/puskas-award/

=======

With women's soccer trying to gain traction around the world, I think it would be better if FIFA pulled all the women out of the Puskas award and created a Mia Hamm (or whom ever) Award that has the entire focus on the best women goals.
I'm going Jordan Flores. Pretty sure that one was posted here when it happened, still can't really wrap my head around it. 

I'll also add that the Son goal is one of the greatest individual plays I've ever seen. I wouldn't consider it for this award because of the goal itself, but that run rivals Maradona's, IMO (sacrilegious today, but...).

Losing diego immediately made me think about pele, who by all accounts is not doing great either (last I saw, he didn't want to make public appearances any more because he's been having a hard time walking/moving.)

I hope my version of things is wrong.
As you might know my Mom Works at Children's Hospital of Philly as the Clinical intake coordinate for the radiation/oncology clinic. Pele's Neice was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and they brought her to Philly. My mom got to meet Pele. Because of how great my mom was Pele gifted my mom a signed a signed Santos Kit and told her this is for your son who I remember you telling me is a big futboll fan. My mom told him well he's a soccer fan but he is an American Futboll fan. He apologized for the confusion but said I know your son will appreciate this. 

I just got it framed awhile back and eventually when I get my own place its going into my man cave. Pele seemed well but you could definitely tell from what my mom said he was struggling a bit. 

So Milan Manager Stefano Pioli had covid and so did about 5 other coaches. Thank god Daniel Bonera got his UEFA coaching license this past Sept. Anyway I heard during training Pioli was yelling instructions to the team from a secluded spot that was attached onto a drone so he could take in training sessions. He wasn't showing a lot of symptoms to Covid but Jesus that is dedication. 

Honestly can't talk Calcio and foreign players in the league without mentioning his name. We all know the Italian Gods of Calcio but Diego was one of the first foreigners mentioned in everyone's list of Calcio's best. Even at a young age as an American if you grew up with Soccer you knew David Beckham but you Knew Pele and Maradona. Futboll lost one of their great gods today. 

Napoli announced they will be renaming the stadium in honor of Diego.  That is a pretty cool and rare honor.
Ironically I was watching the Milan/Napoli match at Sao Palo in Naples this weekend. Milan won their first match there since Gattuso and Ibra were teammates and both scored. Milan won 3-0. However after the match ESPN FC did some post game and talked to Jurgen Klinnsman and they mentioned that Napoli Scudetto winning season with Maradona. Just ironic how ESPN FC guys were just talking about Diego on Sunday and this happened today. 

Not sure we'll see this anytime soon, but with most teams having played 9-10 matches, Real Madrid is sitting in 4th place and Barcelona is sitting in 14th place. 

What really sucks is that a home tie like this for a uber minnow against a big name team can usually generate enough game day revenue to keep the minnow afloat.

Pre covid that is :(
The minnows usually prefer to play away games in the FA Cup.  Rules for the FA Cup states that the teams split the gate receipts 50/50.  If there were no COVID and they had played at Tottenham's 60k+ stadium, a team like Marine really would've likely paid their yearly(or even two) expenses in one game.

That stadium sits 389 people and will handle another ~3000 standing.  Even without COVID they wouldn't be making much money in a match like that.

The minnows usually prefer to play away games in the FA Cup.  Rules for the FA Cup states that the teams split the gate receipts 50/50.  If there were no COVID and they had played at Tottenham's 60k+ stadium, a team like Marine really would've likely paid their yearly(or even two) expenses in one game.

That stadium sits 389 people and will handle another ~3000 standing.  Even without COVID they wouldn't be making much money in a match like that.
Levy has a great PR opportunity here - buy all the seats at a markup to help this club out.

Imagine an EPL club holding out its hand for 50% against a minnow like this?  It is awful to think about and yet it probably happens.
I believe recently a lot of the PL teams have been donating game worn jerseys to the minnows to allow them to sell them and raise money.  

There's been a few other things that the big clubs have done to help the minnows as well.  They all realize this pandemic is really hurting the clubs in the lower levels.

Looks like the Galaxy have found their new head coach.  Gerg Vanney just stepped down as coach of TFC.  I will be very surprised if he is not announced as the Galaxy coach in the very near future.

Not sure we'll see this anytime soon, but with most teams having played 9-10 matches, Real Madrid is sitting in 4th place and Barcelona is sitting in 14th place. 
Only 3 times in the last 20 years has a team besides Real or Barcelona won La Liga.  I wish Sevilla had their act together more to take advantage of this rare opportunity, as neither of the big two look good at all.  

Only 3 times in the last 20 years has a team besides Real or Barcelona won La Liga.  I wish Sevilla had their act together more to take advantage of this rare opportunity, as neither of the big two look good at all.  
For once Sevilla will be concentrating on the CL instead of winning Europa.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Tannenwald

@thegoalkeeper

Major breaking news just now: U.S. Soccer and the #USWNT players have agreed to a settlement over the working conditions claims in the players' long-running legal battle. The players' attorneys have just filed paperwork announcing the settlement. Details to come.

From the legal filing: "The crux of that agreement is that USSF will implement revised policies on four working conditions: charter flights, venue selection, professional support, and hotel accommodations."

Jonathan Tannenwald

@thegoalkeeper

Major breaking news just now: U.S. Soccer and the #USWNT players have agreed to a settlement over the working conditions claims in the players' long-running legal battle. The players' attorneys have just filed paperwork announcing the settlement. Details to come.

From the legal filing: "The crux of that agreement is that USSF will implement revised policies on four working conditions: charter flights, venue selection, professional support, and hotel accommodations."
what a colossal waste of money on both sides.  They could have come to this type of agreement immediately as it was always the easiest and most logical path.

Jonathan Tannenwald

@thegoalkeeper

conspicuously absent: "compensation"

(unless "professional support" = more pay)

[sigh]

The Montreal Impact have been around for 28 years in various leagues.

Next year they will change their name to the original and dynamic Montreal FC

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread