What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Some interesting draws.

Barça - PSG will probably be the most interesting - since a loss will be devastating for one of them.

Borussia Monchengladbach vs. Manchester City

Lazio vs. Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid vs. Chelsea

RB Leipzig vs. Liverpool

Porto vs. Juventus

Barcelona vs. Paris Saint-Germain

Sevilla vs. Borussia Dortmund

Atalanta vs. Real Madrid

Looks good.  Obviously building up that back line.  Seems like a wise move for an expansion side.
I agree.  Sweat and Lima are both solid pros with lots of experience and not a high cost.  Austin can slot them in as starters for RB and LB and not really have to worry and can now focus on other positions.

I don't know enough about the other players to know if they are back ups or hope to be starters for Austin.  if they can get one more starter from the others, that would be excellent.

As it is for so many MLS teams, the top end DP's will drive the bus but you need the other positions manned by at least decent players so these look like a nice start for the expansion side.

I agree.  Sweat and Lima are both solid pros with lots of experience and not a high cost.  Austin can slot them in as starters for RB and LB and not really have to worry and can now focus on other positions.

I don't know enough about the other players to know if they are back ups or hope to be starters for Austin.  if they can get one more starter from the others, that would be excellent.

As it is for so many MLS teams, the top end DP's will drive the bus but you need the other positions manned by at least decent players so these look like a nice start for the expansion side.
Segura was a starter fir much of last season with DCU, but was considered likely to make way for Nyeman going forward. Gallacher saw the field a lot for Atlanta when I watched them this year.  I think the Verde did well to give themselves a core of solid if unspectacular MLS pros. 

With good coaching, Nashville showed that type of core can grind out results. 

Some interesting draws.

Barça - PSG will probably be the most interesting - since a loss will be devastating for one of them.

Lazio vs. Bayern Munich

RB Leipzig vs. Liverpool

Porto vs. Juventus

Atalanta vs. Real Madrid
Gotta think Barca will be underdogs on current form. That ###-whopping by Juventus was huge. 

To my Arsenal-supporting brethren:

What is going on?  The club seems a hot mess - with a lack of results, goals, and discipline.

What are the odds that Arteta is still manager a week from now?  I don't rate Arteta very highly, but it seems the issues run much deeper than the manager - and you have to question decisions made by the board as much as the manager.  But the board are not going anywhere, so does Arteta become the scapegoat?

How close are we to Big Sam parachuting in to save Arsenal from relegation? 

Some interesting draws.

Lazio vs. Bayern Munich

RB Leipzig vs. Liverpool

Porto vs. Juventus

Atalanta vs. Real Madrid
Win your group, draw Atletico; finish second, draw Dortmund.  There are no easy draws at this point (not that I'd want one anyway), but not a great reward this time for CFC topping the group.

(I know Sevilla could not have drawn Atletico in any case, but just sayin ...)

Anyway, looking forward to these games in February.  I hope we are treated to full squads with healthy players and at least some home supporters in attendance.

I hope we are treated to full squads with healthy players and at least some home supporters in attendance.
Yeah hope so.

London is going to Tier 3 on Tuesday, so no crowds at all for any of the London teams presumably until January, but I don't know how often the assess tier levels.  Manchester was already tier 3, not sure where Liverpool are, or are headed.

Also newsworthy:

Petr Cech making a return to the Chelsea squad tonight - in net against Spurs U23s.

ETA: 

Petr Cech is set to make a surprise return to action for Chelsea tonight, when he plays for their development squad against Tottenham.

The 38-year-old is the club’s technical and performance director but he has been training with the first team and was registered as emergency cover in Chelsea’s Premier League squad in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good old fashioned cluster #### in Miami

=========

Paul Tenorio

@PaulTenorio

According to sources, Diego Alonso had an end-of-season meeting with Inter Miami ownership and left the meeting believing he was fired. He informed multiple people and players within the organization. However, Alonso has not been fired. His future still has not been determined.

Also newsworthy:

Petr Cech making a return to the Chelsea squad tonight - in net against Spurs U23s.

ETA: 

Petr Cech is set to make a surprise return to action for Chelsea tonight, when he plays for their development squad against Tottenham.

The 38-year-old is the club’s technical and performance director but he has been training with the first team and was registered as emergency cover in Chelsea’s Premier League squad in October.
First touch for Petr Cech is an attempt to play out from the back which he puts out for a corner... from which Spurs score.

Currently 2-2 late in the 2nd half.

In case you had been wondering what Danny Drinkwater has been up to - he was also involved in Chelsea's U23s tonight:

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial · 5m

FULL-TIME - The hosts turned tonight's U23 clash around in the second half through Peart-Harris (2) and Lewis as both sides finished with 10 men following the dismissals of Devine and Drinkwater.

Incident with Devine,16-yo Spurs player, and Danny Drinkwater - that rare instance when both Red cards were fully deserved...
Danny Drinkwater - “I didn’t sign up for this ####”. Getting snapped by 14 year olds in the reserves 🤣🤣

Danny Drinkwater - “I didn’t sign up for this ####”. Getting snapped by 14 year olds in the reserves 🤣🤣
I remember when Hristo Stoichkov ended some American University kid's career in a 2003 scrimmage because he didn't care for the treatment.  Put him in the hospital with a compound fracture.

So reading these just now:  he wasn't even mad at the kid.  He was mad at on offside call.  Can't find anything about a settlement, but the kid did end up suing.

ETA:  Wikipedia tells me it was settled out of court in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a crazy rumor being mentioned by some papers the last few days that if Milan Win the Scudetto and possible make it pretty far and even win Europa League they might by Erling Haaland at his 70M Euro release clause as a replacement for Ibra. It's said Milan would go all in and his best friend is AC Milan youngster (probably best transfer economically/production wise in Calcio) Jens Petr Hauge. Honestly do not think this happens but it would be huge for Milan and Calcio as a whole. I'd probably be running nude in the streets if this happened and Milan would be crazy to think twice not to pay the release clause. 

His Agent is also Mino Railo who Milan could potentially swing a back end deal involving other clients like Gigi and Ibra possible getting a better price in salary wise from one of those guys with a promise of also signing Haaland. Rialo even told reporters this week "Don't rule out Italy for Haaland." which has put more legs to this rumor. 

To my Arsenal-supporting brethren:

What is going on?  The club seems a hot mess - with a lack of results, goals, and discipline.

What are the odds that Arteta is still manager a week from now?  I don't rate Arteta very highly, but it seems the issues run much deeper than the manager - and you have to question decisions made by the board as much as the manager.  But the board are not going anywhere, so does Arteta become the scapegoat?

How close are we to Big Sam parachuting in to save Arsenal from relegation? 
Question

One day, after a huge draw at Man City, Slaven Bilic is sacked at West Brom, with Big Sam expected to replace him.
Answer

Sorta surprised LAFC just knocked off Cruz Azul. Opoku had a real nice high volley to win it.
I watched the second half.  LAFC had some nice moments but they still don't look like they did last year. 

I saw this stat below online, which even though an MLS team has not yet won the CCL, it really shows how close things are with Liga MX (which is especially interesting because MLS is a parity model and Liga MX is a top heavy model)

===========

MLS vs Liga MX clubs in CCL knockout rounds:

2008-2017:

Match-ups: 20 Liga MX wins: 18 MLS wins: 2

2018-20:

Match-ups: 15 Liga MX wins: 8 MLS wins: 7

Deserved.  That was one hell of a run through the D.
I'll be honest....great goal and all, but it was less skill and more quickness. He beat guys to the space as he accelerated, but didn't really dribble around people. I'm more into that kind of messi/maradonna type of dribble down the field and past the opposition than Sons sprint  

I'll be honest....great goal and all, but it was less skill and more quickness. He beat guys to the space as he accelerated, but didn't really dribble around people. I'm more into that kind of messi/maradonna type of dribble down the field and past the opposition than Sons sprint  
Preach.  The Suarez goal is a million times better IMO.

One of the classic blunders: Never get involved in a fan vote against Koreans.

(But seriously though, Son's goal was a trillion times better, and more difficult, than a back heel...)
It's the kind of goal 10yos who have better skills and speed score against other 10yos quite a lot. They get a head of steam going, on the edge of losing control, and it's almost easier to just keep going because nobody's really closed them down once. 

Yeah, this was against pros and as said- a great goal. But it's something I saw and did a bunch in the youth game. For best goal, I want to see pros doing something I know is genuinely skillful and difficult. Not just running at speed past guys who aren't ever in position to challenge.

(But seriously though, Son's goal was a trillion times better, and more difficult, than a back heel...)
I suppose it is pedantic to argue the build-up to the goal as opposed to the goal-scoring shot itself, but that's what I'm going with on this one. It was surely an impressive dribble.

Users who are viewing this thread