Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

23 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I suppose it is pedantic to argue the build-up to the goal as opposed to the goal-scoring shot itself, but that's what I'm going with on this one. It was surely an impressive dribble.

Jan Vertonghen with the best assist of his career...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

It's the kind of goal 10yos who have better skills and speed score against other 10yos quite a lot. They get a head of steam going, on the edge of losing control, and it's almost easier to just keep going because nobody's really closed them down once. 

Yeah, this was against pros and as said- a great goal. But it's something I saw and did a bunch in the youth game. For best goal, I want to see pros doing something I know is genuinely skillful and difficult. Not just running at speed past guys who aren't ever in position to challenge.

Even if I concede that there is not much "skill" involved in Son's goal (which I don't) - the back heel by Suarez is not really a "skilled" goal either.

It was genius to think to back heel - but it does not take any skill to hit the ball that way,

I also think people downplay the skill needed to run that distance at pace, keep the ball loosely in your control, and then be able to have enough skill to slot it home against a PL-level keeper.  No schtick - that is an incredible feat, working big muscles, and twitch muscles with the stamina and control to make that happen.

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

Even if I concede that there is not much "skill" involved in Son's goal (which I don't) - the back heel by Suarez is not really a "skilled" goal either.

It was genius to think to back heel - but it does not take any skill to hit the ball that way,

I also think people downplay the skill needed to run that distance at pace, keep the ball loosely in your control, and then be able to have enough skill to slot it home against a PL-level keeper.  No schtick - that is an incredible feat, working big muscles, and twitch muscles with the stamina and control to make that happen.

It doesn't take skill to chip the ball off the ground with your back heel?

8 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

It doesn't take skill to chip the ball off the ground with your back heel?

He just hit down on it :shrug:

It was genius to try it.  But skill?  Please.  

I'd take McKennie's flying kick as more skillful than a backheel

• Laughing 1

11 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Like I said... I've seen this done by youth players a lot. More skillful and faster youth players, yes. 

I love Son. That amazing goal represents a lot of what makes him great... But he's also got the skills to beat guys from a dead stop, one on one who are in position to defend him- I prefer that.

Fwiw, I also love Suarez's insane and audacious backheel chip... Mostly because it's not something you see. But it wasn't my favorite either.

43 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Like I said... I've seen this done by youth players a lot. More skillful and faster youth players, yes. 

I love Son. That amazing goal represents a lot of what makes him great... But he's also got the skills to beat guys from a dead stop, one on one who are in position to defend him- I prefer that.

Fwiw, I also love Suarez's insane and audacious backheel chip... Mostly because it's not something you see. But it wasn't my favorite either.

I think that's what I like most about it.  Yes.  You can see a similar goal from any youth league game, where that one kid that grew big and quick faster than his peers just dominates.... but this is the EPL.  Son did this against 11 guys that get paid to play football.  Sure Burnley did a terrible job of closing him down, but the fact that Son made 11 paid professionals look like the less skilled youth players makes that goal unbelievable.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I've seen Lingard do it, it can't be that skillful.  The composure at the end is nice after the run but expected.

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Seriously though, most of the time you see the "professional foul" and booking to stop this, so its more suprising they let him run that far then it is he scored.  Good job by Son, not the best goal of the year IMO.

And watching the video at least half were more impressive, including Suarez's backheal.

20 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I'll be honest....great goal and all, but it was less skill and more quickness. He beat guys to the space as he accelerated, but didn't really dribble around people. I'm more into that kind of messi/maradonna type of dribble down the field and past the opposition than Sons sprint  

Well, la-dee-da

On 12/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, NewlyRetired said:

I agree.  Sweat and Lima are both solid pros with lots of experience and not a high cost.  Austin can slot them in as starters for RB and LB and not really have to worry and can now focus on other positions.

I don't know enough about the other players to know if they are back ups or hope to be starters for Austin.  if they can get one more starter from the others, that would be excellent.

As it is for so many MLS teams, the top end DP's will drive the bus but you need the other positions manned by at least decent players so these look like a nice start for the expansion side.

If you’ve got a spare hour, you can listen to us go into detail on all nine acquisitions.

https://podfollow.com/capcitysoccer

Currently sitting #32 on the Apple soccer podcasts chart just ahead of the Premier League on NBC podcast.

Edited by bentley
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

He just hit down on it :shrug:

It was genius to try it.  But skill?  Please. 

Hitting the ball into the opposite side netting with a back heal chip is outrageous skill. Can you find a similar goal?

Son's goal is awesome, but you're stretching too far here saying that the Suarez goal is without skill. Win with grace.

Edited by Desert_Power
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Desert_Power said:

Hitting the ball into the opposite side netting with a back heal chip is outrageous skill. Can you find a similar goal?

Son's goal is awesome, but you're stretching too far here saying that the Suarez goal is without skill. Win with grace.

Sinn has become convinced José was a good hire.  He always drinks the Spurs kool-aid and as an avid supporter he should.  It’s part of the charm of following a FC, even a large one.

He’s also a moron. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Sad 1

Interesting. I think Pogba is a good player he's that cherry on top of an already good MF and needs to be allowed to play his type of style which I think ManU hardly give him that freedom from what I've seen and heard from experts. Bernadeschi is pretty overrated and not worth much. Dybala is a good swap with Pogba but Dybala I think is too important to Juve. Another value of Pogba is he's so marketablele

Via ESPN: Paulo Dybala and Federico Bernardeschi are being offered to Man United for Paul Pogba

4 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Interesting. I think Pogba is a good player he's that cherry on top of an already good MF and needs to be allowed to play his type of style which I think ManU hardly give him that freedom from what I've seen and heard from experts. Bernadeschi is pretty overrated and not worth much. Dybala is a good swap with Pogba but Dybala I think is too important to Juve. Another value of Pogba is he's so marketablele

Via ESPN: Paulo Dybala and Federico Bernardeschi are being offered to Man United for Paul Pogba

This swap would make no sense to me for United - they need help in defense - CB and CDM.  I’d be fine with Pogba leaving for a stud CB but not two attacking players that are probably seen as lesser players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

This swap would make no sense to me for United - they need help in defense - CB and CDM.  I’d be fine with Pogba leaving for a stud CB but not two attacking players that are probably seen as lesser players.

Disagree I think Dybala is severely underrated. Pogba is good but he's never been the MAIN GUY in MF. At Juventus he was surrounded by greats and was the missing piece cherry on top. The value that Pogba does bring that neither does is his marketability is valuable and why ManU spent such a heft fee at first. 

1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

Disagree I think Dybala is severely underrated. Pogba is good but he's never been the MAIN GUY in MF. At Juventus he was surrounded by greats and was the missing piece cherry on top. The value that Pogba does bring that neither does is his marketability is valuable and why ManU spent such a heft fee at first. 

I think Dybala is good but I’m not sure anybody sees him as a definitive upgrade over Pogba.  I’d be happy to get rid of him though.  He’s the James Harden of footie.

5 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I think Dybala is good but I’m not sure anybody sees him as a definitive upgrade over Pogba.  I’d be happy to get rid of him though.  He’s the James Harden of footie.

Disagree he's better then Harden. I think Dybala is mis-understood and plays a certain position well. The problem with United is they just don't use Pogba where he's suited best 

On 12/19/2020 at 3:00 PM, AAABatteries said:

:goodposting:

On 12/19/2020 at 5:23 PM, DJackson10 said:

Disagree he's better then Harden. I think Dybala is mis-understood and plays a certain position well. The problem with United is they just don't use Pogba where he's suited best 

I'm curious where you think  he's best suited vs where United uses him?

Pogba's goals and assists are failry similar to his at Juventus when you match up the games played.  I think some of the problem is he needs to be in space and the EPL doesn't give you as much as other leagues might.  

23 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Pogba's goals and assists are failry similar to his at Juventus when you match up the games played.  I think some of the problem is he needs to be in space and the EPL doesn't give you as much as other leagues might.  

I'm never sure what to make of Pogba - on pure talent he's probably the best player United have.  He just doesn't have the drive or heart to be the best, IMO.  He makes silly mistakes, loses the ball too often and is mostly worthless when United don't have the ball.  But, he can make something out of nothing - so frustrating.  I think we are seeing now why SAF let him walk.

Just now, AAABatteries said:

I'm never sure what to make of Pogba - on pure talent he's probably the best player United have.  He just doesn't have the drive or heart to be the best, IMO.  He makes silly mistakes, loses the ball too often and is mostly worthless when United don't have the ball.  But, he can make something out of nothing - so frustrating.  I think we are seeing now why SAF let him walk.

I think SAF let him walk more because of his agent then anything else (which we are seeing too).   But regardless, on pure talent he is their best player.  The SHU game was a perfect example of Paul Pogba at United.  A great spin move and pass to start the counter for Rashford's goal.  But you also saw several times he was easily stripped of the ball in a bad spot.  

An interesting question came up in regards to that though, do the players trust him too much that they play him a ball in tight spots since they know he can hold it and has the skill to get out of it?  In other words, are teammates putting him in bad positions with the ball?

10 hours ago, B Maverick said:

He's a good when he's given freedom to roam around in the MF. Not stuck in one spot. Granted I don't watch enough United matches but based on people I read from Matteo Bonetti United could use him better. However I think going back to Italy would be best for him 

• Thanks 1

Sunderland confirm agreement reached with Kyril Louis-Dreyfus for takeover

Can anyone confirm whether Netflix is covering this season?  Did not think this show could keep it up, never imagined it could actually get better than it’s been, but a new 23 year old Football Manager-obsessed French billionaire heir? If they have access, they’ve struck gold here.  

22 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Sunderland confirm agreement reached with Kyril Louis-Dreyfus for takeover

Can anyone confirm whether Netflix is covering this season?  Did not think this show could keep it up, never imagined it could actually get better than it’s been, but a new 23 year old Football Manager-obsessed French billionaire heir? If they have access, they’ve struck gold here.  

I read there will be no season 3, never even started filming before COVID. I’ll try and find it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McBokonon said:

I read there will be no season 3, never even started filming before COVID. I’ll try and find it.

He revealed: "There’s no third series coming. After the second series they stopped filming.  “I think they hinted that they might want to come back for a third season, but during this season there’s been no cameras on us.

So there’s a glimmer of hope they’ll return?

This Christmas I'm thankful for THEO HERNANDEZ. Thanks Real Madrid for being idiots and this guy needs to be called up to France as their LB to pair with his brother Luca. One of the top 5 LBs in Europa and might go down as an absolute transfer steal in Transfer history. 

5 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

ESPN is reporting that in 5 days Messi can start negotiating with any non Spanish team he wants for a free transfer this summer.

If Barca get nothing for him after being offered a kings ransom last summer, it is going to be one of the worst sports business decisions ever....

Barça is a mess, but even so, i don't see that happening unless Messi has a real grudge against them.  If so, he should just sit out the rest of the season. 

3 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Barça is a mess, but even so, i don't see that happening unless Messi has a real grudge against them.  If so, he should just sit out the rest of the season. 

He had an interview today where he said he's wanted to leave for 6 months prior to that being released in the summer. Barhomue (SP) apparently leaked the info to as he accused Barca of making him look like the bad guy in the situation. He also expressed interest in MLS. 

31 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

He had an interview today where he said he's wanted to leave for 6 months prior to that being released in the summer. Barhomue (SP) apparently leaked the info to as he accused Barca of making him look like the bad guy in the situation. He also expressed interest in MLS. 

The free transfer makes MLS a slight possibility, most likely in Miami.  It would take a Beckham-like deal though with a promise of ownership after his playing days are done.

Of course when they gave the deal to Becks, franchises were worth $40m at best.  Now they are going to be in the $350m-$400m range.  That is going to be a huge commitment from the owners to give up a large portion of that money (especially after Covid effected the league so badly).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The free transfer makes MLS a slight possibility, most likely in Miami.  It would take a Beckham-like deal though with a promise of ownership after his playing days are done.

Of course when they gave the deal to Becks, franchises were worth $40m at best.  Now they are going to be in the $350m-$400m range.  That is going to be a huge commitment from the owners to give up a large portion of that money (especially after Covid effected the league so badly).

Very true but I don't think he was talking about going now I think more so when his career dwindles down 

• Like 1