What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Ooh, also interested in taking Isco on loan. Because if Ozil leaves and somebody invents time travel and transports the team to 2008, they’re really going to need that No. 10. 
cripes. is Isco still waiting to break through at RM?

I genuinely don't get it. there must be something going on with him that keeps him out of the lineup- either off the field or in training. every time I've seen him play, he looks electric and one of the best players on the field... league... planet.

cripes. is Isco still waiting to break through at RM?

I genuinely don't get it. there must be something going on with him that keeps him out of the lineup- either off the field or in training. every time I've seen him play, he looks electric and one of the best players on the field... league... planet.
Isco is still a very capable 10. Zidane, like about 80% of modern coaches, doesn’t play with a 10. 

Arsenal also don’t play with a 10. They have a very capable and very expensive 10 on the books, but the manager says that he doesn’t fit the team.  So it’s just kind of funny. James has been pretty good for Everton. Not revelatory, but good. I’d think Isco would probably be a little better if all things were equal. But it’s kind of hard to assume that Arteta, at this stage of his career, has the same tactical Chios as Ancelotti to bring out the best in a forgotten playmaker. 

Isco wouldn’t annoy me nearly as much as Diego Costa. Even if they want to move  on from Lacs (or even Auba), Nketiah has scored when given minutes. He’s already the top all time scorer for England’s U21 team. He needs to play. Future great American Balogun seems to be in the same boat.  Letting him be a late bench option isn’t going to Arsenal relegated. 

But maybe I’m just too influenced by this heady two-game win streak. 

So with all the Messi drama going on, was talking about older players and where they could end up.  And the fun thought of Ronaldo and Messi playing for Beck's team in Miami.....  Heck, bring in Zlatan too.  Suarez?  Sure why not.  Play a 4-2-4 (or like my freshman year in HS, 3-3-4)  

Perhaps a 4-1-4-1?

Zlatan
Ronaldo Cavani Suarez Messi
                   Modric
Bunch of MLS guys who will run and kick people
                  Buffon

Give them a % of the gate since they will need to move all games to larger venues, they get a majority % of their shirt sales, plus a modest cap worthy salary  :lmao: .....

Yeah, no way in heck does this happen.  Would love to see Ronaldo and Messi in Miami for a year though.  

Cavani picks up a 3-match ban - for using an inappropriate Spanish word in an instagram post.

Aston Villa this weekend, then Watford in FA Cup 3rd Round, and Man City in League Cup Semi-Final.

This seems odd. I don't think spanish speakers think that is inappropriate.
It's not odd, though.  It clearly wasn't intentional but at the same time is against the rules in trying to combat racism.  Luckily, he understands that and isn't fighting it out of respect for what they are trying to accomplish with those rules.  Unfortunate, but I think it's the right way all around.

A statement from United read: 'As he has stated, Edinson Cavani wasn't aware that his words could have been misconstrued and he sincerely apologised for the post and to anyone who was offended.

'Despite his honest belief that he was simply sending an affectionate thank you in response to a congratulatory message from a close friend, he chose not to contest the charge out of respect for, and solidarity with, The FA and the fight against racism in football.

'While it is clear that context and intent are key factors, we note that the independent Regulatory Commission was required to impose a minimum three game suspension.

'The club trusts that the independent Regulatory Commission will make it clear in its written reasons that Edinson Cavani is not a racist, nor was there any racist intent in relation to his post.' 

Didn't Suarez use the exact same word with Evra, resulting in his multi-match ban? Always maintained "this is normal where I came from"
Bernardo Silva got 1 match for something similar if I recall.

Dele got 1 match for mocking an asian man at the start of the whole covid era.

So, it seems that Cavani's punishment was a bit harsher, for something that was seemingly not intended as racist.  Albeit, one of the suspended matches is fairly inconsequential.

Yeah. I guess I forgot the EPL actually suspends people for this stuff.

Doing it on the pitch to another player does have a worse connotation IMO.
Iirc, Suarez always maintained he meant nothing by it...that it was normal- which is what Cavani said at first too. You'd think he'd have learned from his teammate though.

When I first started playing pickup here in NYC post college, it was always truly international and I'd typically be the only white dude. Guys would use skin color or perceived nationality to call for the ball.

I was White, Whitey or Gringo. Sometimes Puto if I didn't pass the ball...which I think is a nice word for "winner". Black dudes were Black, but never Blackie...and Africa if they were from anywhere in Africa. Same way anybody Asian was China. Cities or actual countries of origin were used as well. English accent always meant getting called England or English. 

I don't remember anybody ever getting offended by any of it...which of course doesn't necessarily mean that it was ok.

Has anyone seen anything reputable about the recent EPL COVID issue tracing back to a Kyle Walker party?  Which, if true, would be his 2nd or 3rd offense during lockdown IIRC?

Wouldn't be shocked to see City in some trouble if it's true.  And Walker would be for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen anything reputable about the recent EPL COVID issue tracing back to a Kyle Walker party?  Which, if true, would be his 2nd or 3rd offense during lockdown IIRC?

Wouldn't be shocked to see City in some trouble if it's true.  And Walker would be for sure.
I think the general consensus is: "No verification of the story, yet.  But, if any PL player would pull this off, it would be Kyle Walker."

Not sure you can punish Man City - assuming they were not in on it.  If a player breaks the team and league rules, you punish the player - severely.  I do wonder why they don't make teams like City and Fulham play youth players in place of first team players who are isolating with Covid.

As it is, the postponed games will have an equal negative impact on the opponents with fixture congestion later in the year.  That seems to be unfair.

I think the general consensus is: "No verification of the story, yet.  But, if any PL player would pull this off, it would be Kyle Walker."

Not sure you can punish Man City - assuming they were not in on it.  If a player breaks the team and league rules, you punish the player - severely.  I do wonder why they don't make teams like City and Fulham play youth players in place of first team players who are isolating with Covid.

As it is, the postponed games will have an equal negative impact on the opponents with fixture congestion later in the year.  That seems to be unfair.
Exactly on the last point. 

And I agree it's a tough call to punish City.  On the other hand, clubs are routinely punished for the actions of fans, so holding them accountable for their players seems quite possible.

Random trivial:  six EPL teams are on 26 points right now.

United v Villa on next.  Up the draw!

And it sounds like Liverpool may have lined up their winter window defender, Sven Botman, 20yo from Lille.  20MM rumored price, only moved from the Dutch league six months ago for 8MM and stats say he's been dominant so far.

As good as he's been in defense and as great as Thiago has looked as the #6 when he's been available, I could see Fabinho being a long-term option at CB.  Matip and Gomez have both been good , but neither can stay on the field.

Gonna be hard for Poch to blame poor results on his budget when PSG player wages are 3-4X most every other club in the league.
:shrug:

Poch got results at Spurs - with no budget.  He just did not get trophies.

The bigger question will be whether he can get Neymar, et al to employ a high press, or if Poch opts for different tactics.

Random trivial:  six EPL teams are on 26 points right now.

United v Villa on next.  Up the draw!

And it sounds like Liverpool may have lined up their winter window defender, Sven Botman, 20yo from Lille.  20MM rumored price, only moved from the Dutch league six months ago for 8MM and stats say he's been dominant so far.

As good as he's been in defense and as great as Thiago has looked as the #6 when he's been available, I could see Fabinho being a long-term option at CB.  Matip and Gomez have both been good , but neither can stay on the field.
James Pearce, who's as wired in as anyone around LFC, says this is FAKE NEWS and that Liverpool have had no discussions with Lille.  😥

They're in first place right now despite everything -- If they try to go through 20 league games relying on Fab, Matip (inj), Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips it's an unforced error.

It's a hot taek, narrative, and trolling (but maybe also true) -- City are the greatest front-runners since Mike Tyson.  If they're better than you and get their nose in front it's going to be a long day.  But if you punch them in the nose or get them into a grinding game they don't handle it very well.  Would love to see Pep have to coach with a team that couldn't buy its way to dominance.

Roberto Rojas @RobertoRojas97·5h

Lionel Messi surpassed Pele a couple weeks ago with the most goals scored for a single club at 644 goals for Barcelona.

Cristiano Ronaldo just equaled Pele's 757 career goals to become the second-highest goalscorer ever.

Two monsters that we have continued to be blessed with.

Roberto Rojas @RobertoRojas97·5h

Lionel Messi surpassed Pele a couple weeks ago with the most goals scored for a single club at 644 goals for Barcelona.

Cristiano Ronaldo just equaled Pele's 757 career goals to become the second-highest goalscorer ever.

Two monsters that we have continued to be blessed with.
Santos has said Pele's goals in friendlies should be counted, which puts him at like 4 million goals.

It does raise the question though...

Been hearing a lot of rumors of him and Suarez wanting to reunite there at some point. Hopefully he gets a better send off from Europe than Barcelona look headed for this year.
For the first time since I've been watching this season, he looked like he was finally having some fun out there today.

But I seriously doubt he comes to MLS any time soon. He's still flat our ridiculously amazing, and not even that old. He's got several years playing anywhere he wants for the best teams. And I would assume guys like him and CRo have houses and apartments in lots of places. 

For the first time since I've been watching this season, he looked like he was finally having some fun out there today.

But I seriously doubt he comes to MLS any time soon. He's still flat our ridiculously amazing, and not even that old. He's got several years playing anywhere he wants for the best teams. And I would assume guys like him and CRo have houses and apartments in lots of places. 
I think he is really starting to enjoy Pedri, who is looking like a true student of Iniesta (still can't play a full match though).

You're right about the property. This is what multi-millionaires do. I just think coming to the Miami is a big eventuality for a few of these South Americans to make even more boatloads. Doubt it will be this year for Messi.

Things I learned this weekend:

Until this year, the Carabao Cup (League Cup) winner was given a spot in the Europa League (assuming the team did not otherwise qualify for European competition).

This year, the winner will be given a spot in the UEFA Europa Conference League.  But, not directly into the group - they will enter at the play-off phase, the round before the group stages.

PL will still get 4 teams in CL, but now, only 2 teams in Europa League, and 1 in this C-tier league.  Spurs are now destined to win the League Cup.   :bag:

Inter Milan received a second favorable judgement in their trademark infringement suit against Inter Miami.  It sounds like this is only the start of a long case.

"For the third matchweek running Liverpool have had the most penalty box touches of any team in the PL, and failed to win each time. Vs WBA: 41-9 Newcastle: 32-14 Southampton: 56-5!"

All of a sudden they can't do anything with the ball once they get it into the box.  They aren't even creating very many shots on goal.  Frustrating to watch for sure.

"For the third matchweek running Liverpool have had the most penalty box touches of any team in the PL, and failed to win each time. Vs WBA: 41-9 Newcastle: 32-14 Southampton: 56-5!"

All of a sudden they can't do anything with the ball once they get it into the box.  They aren't even creating very many shots on goal.  Frustrating to watch for sure.
Mopey Salah effect?

Mopey Salah effect?
Losing by 12mm in 2019 on 97 points, winning the CL, crazy celebration, grinding out win after win in 2020, COVID, winning the league after 30 years, more COVID, insane injuries to start the season -- I think maybe they're just really tired.  Been a wild 24 months.

Or it's just random and sometimes even good teams go several games where things just don't fall right for them.  Who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread