What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Still don’t buy it. Don’t see how expanding his coffee brand could possibly make up for the salary I imagine being offered in Turkey.  But just in case ...

😳 :coffee:
Isn't Ozil either too close to or on the wrong side of Erdogan?  Like maybe he just wants to live his life without all that ####.

And Goff throws iced coffee on the rumor:

Steven Goff @SoccerInsider

Buzz about Mesut Ozil moving to D.C. United surfaces again today in London. I'm told there's nothing new, sides have spoken periodically since 2019, no offers, no news, no coffee shops opening at Audi Field. Maybe DCU makes a very expensive run at him down the road. #dcu #mls

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good reminder from Ives when rumors like these pop up

=============

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

Here is your semi-annual reminder that European agents LOVE floating empty rumors about #MLS interest in their high-priced clients, particularly those struggling to find a new club. It's page 2 of the agent handbook, probably

So, in the game today, a Brentford player, Josh Dasilva, picked up a straight red for a studs-to-shin incident with Hojbjerg.  Hojbjerg was left with some nasty cuts down his shin, but otherwise wanted to continue - true Viking, and real class act, imo:

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg @hojbjerg23

Of course you didn’t mean it. So don’t worry. I’m a viking and I am fine. But... You owe me a new shin pad . You have a great future ahead

@joshdasilva_ . Be strong & keep working hard. Best of luck to you and your team. Big hug, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg.

Quote Tweet

Joshua Dasilva @joshdasilva_· 2h

Anyone that knows me, knows it was never intentional.. will learn from this.

Interviewed Alexi Lalas for the podcast that came out today. He’s an interesting case. Says a lot of controversial stuff seemingly just for the sake of it, but he was also super laid back and fun to work with despite the fact that there’s nothing in it for him to do our little show.
I played against him in college.

His latest "CP is better than Chelsea and should move on" rant picked up a tiny bit of steam over there. What kind of controversial stuff did he say?

I played against him in college.

His latest "CP is better than Chelsea and should move on" rant picked up a tiny bit of steam over there. What kind of controversial stuff did he say?
I was speaking more in general terms. The most controversial thing he said in our interview was that the Columbus Twitter trolls who insist on responding to every post form Austin FC should get a life and move on. That and we had a discussion about his love of 80s hair metal.

This has to be Grealish's fault.

@AVFCOfficial: Aston Villa can confirm that Sunday's scheduled Premier League fixture with Everton has been postponed.

Our fixture with Newcastle United, which was postponed as a result of a similar outbreak at their training ground, will now take place on Saturday, January 23 at 8pm.

Interviewed Alexi Lalas for the podcast that came out today. He’s an interesting case. Says a lot of controversial stuff seemingly just for the sake of it, but he was also super laid back and fun to work with despite the fact that there’s nothing in it for him to do our little show.
I always felt like he came out of that ESPN embrace debate mold with SAS and Skip and he just says things to get a reaction.  So unneccessary that I rarely can listen to him or his "opinion",

Sunday isn't a must game for either United or Liverpool but it's a huge game.  Realistically, to stay ahead of Pool I think United need to win.  Citeh actually look most likely to win the league, IMO.

Top to bottom the EPL is just a fantastic product this year.  Many years ago you had teams that would park the bus and not play but that's not really true today.  And the race for Europe is outstanding this year.  More fans in the stand is the only thing that could make the league better this year.

Sunday isn't a must game for either United or Liverpool but it's a huge game. 
I took a look at the table the other day and decided this might be the first non-Chelsea game I will watch this year.  I worked 12 hour days both days last weekend, and am planning to watch televised sports in my pajamas all weekend, stay extremely high at all times, and not leave the house except to walk to my grill and back.

Sunday isn't a must game for either United or Liverpool but it's a huge game.  Realistically, to stay ahead of Pool I think United need to win.  Citeh actually look most likely to win the league, IMO.

Top to bottom the EPL is just a fantastic product this year.  Many years ago you had teams that would park the bus and not play but that's not really true today.  And the race for Europe is outstanding this year.  More fans in the stand is the only thing that could make the league better this year.
A draw or loss opens the door for City to take over at the top with their game in hand.  
A win or draw keeps Liverpol behind United

With half the season gone and 10 teams within 10 points of the top, I would say this just might be a must win.

The table overall is very tight.  AV's 2 games in hand could make it even more so.  

A draw or loss opens the door for City to take over at the top with their game in hand.  
A win or draw keeps Liverpol behind United

With half the season gone and 10 teams within 10 points of the top, I would say this just might be a must win.

The table overall is very tight.  AV's 2 games in hand could make it even more so.  
It's still too early to call it a must win for either team IMO.  Obviously if anyone wants to win the league they'll need to start a good long run soon, but it's possible with so many teams being so close in talent this year, that there won't be a runaway team.  I think ManU and Liverpool would both be happy with a tie right now and ecstatic with a win.

It's still too early to call it a must win for either team IMO.  Obviously if anyone wants to win the league they'll need to start a good long run soon, but it's possible with so many teams being so close in talent this year, that there won't be a runaway team.  I think ManU and Liverpool would both be happy with a tie right now and ecstatic with a win.
I agree with the bolded.  

However:
A loss for United puts them in 2nd/3rd depending on City with 6th place 1 point behind
A win keeps them top, puts 6 points between them and LP and limits City to 1 point back.  Keeps 6th 4 points back.

A win now makes a statement and adds a cushion between the Manchester teams and the rest.  Half a season left isn't too early IMO

I was speaking more in general terms. The most controversial thing he said in our interview was that the Columbus Twitter trolls who insist on responding to every post form Austin FC should get a life and move on. That and we had a discussion about his love of 80s hair metal.
Sounds like my kind of guy 

Where's my Chelsea guys? I need more info on this kid Fikayo Tomori? Heard a bit about him on the CalcioCast Pod that Matteo Bonetti and his Wife Kay Murray did a special Transfer pod Thursday and talked about him. 

In other Milan News 

Official: Soualiho Meite has been loaned to Milan until the end of this season with an option to buy.

Likely transfer conditions:

- loan: 0,5 million euros

- option to buy: 8 million euros

- bonuses: 1,5 million euros

As a Liverpool fan I'd be disappointed with a tie.  Playing at home and a win takes them top.  Almost fully healthy, with Thiago ready to go 90.  Only real Q is Fab's CB partner.

Agreed. That is a close table less than halfway through.

Mario Manzudkic has signed a 6 month contract with Milan with an extension option to make it another year for 1 1/2 yrs earning 1.5 Euros right now to be Vice Ibra. Like this signing but Jesus he took the cursed #9 Kit. 

@FabrizioRomano

The ‘new chance’ becomes a done deal, confirmed. AC Milan have reached an agreement with Chelsea for Fikayo Tomori, last details set to be sorted: here we go! Loan with buy option around €30m. He’ll fly to Milano this week - medicals pending. #ACMilan #CFC

Whos on the hottest seat?

Zidane
Pirlo
Lampard
Lampard for me. That's only because of who he works for.

Zidane is Zidane to me. Feel like he should still have a lot of credit built up and I believe Madrid is second in the table right now. Pirlo just won some silverware yesterday so he's fine, in my opinion. I'm a Juve fan though, so my expectations are probably not in line with supporters in Turin. 

Lampard IMO.

I think he’s gone if they lose their next EPL game against Wolves next week.

I think Pirlo and Zidane will see out the year and be replaced this summer.

Lampard for me. That's only because of who he works for.

Zidane is Zidane to me. Feel like he should still have a lot of credit built up and I believe Madrid is second in the table right now. Pirlo just won some silverware yesterday so he's fine, in my opinion. I'm a Juve fan though, so my expectations are probably not in line with supporters in Turin. 

I agree with both on Lampard.

I feel like one La Liga title and 3 CL titles gives Zidane some extra credit and should get him through the season.  He may get to start next year but any bumps and hes gone.

This is Pirlo's first season correct?  Club legend may get another year, but similar to Zidane, any bumps and hes gone.

I remember when the superdraft was a little buzz-worthy.

1. Austin FC, Daniel Pereira, MF, Virginia Tech

2. FC Cincinnati, Calvin Harris, FW, Wake Forest

3. Colorado Rapids, Philip Mayaka, MF, Clemson

4. D.C. United, Kimarni Smith, FW, Clemson

5. D.C. United, Michael DeShields, DF, Wake Forest

6. Houston Dynamo FC, Ethan Bartlow, DF, Washington

7. Real Salt Lake, Bret Halsey, DF, Virginia

8. Orlando City SC, Derek Dodson, FW, Georgetown

9. Vancouver Whitecaps, David Egbo, FW, Akron

10. Inter Miami CF, Josh Penn, FW, Indy Eleven/Indiana

I agree with both on Lampard.

I feel like one La Liga title and 3 CL titles gives Zidane some extra credit and should get him through the season.  He may get to start next year but any bumps and hes gone.

This is Pirlo's first season correct?  Club legend may get another year, but similar to Zidane, any bumps and hes gone.
Regarding the bolded, yes.

Not going to make any excuses but Juve haven't really found their way. Will give Pirlo credit for making Dybala and that other guy work well together. Bad news is Dybala is out for a while I believe. Also like how well McKinney has played. 

Gonna be a good run to the end in Italy.

I remember when the superdraft was a little buzz-worthy.

1. Austin FC, Daniel Pereira, MF, Virginia Tech

2. FC Cincinnati, Calvin Harris, FW, Wake Forest

3. Colorado Rapids, Philip Mayaka, MF, Clemson

4. D.C. United, Kimarni Smith, FW, Clemson

5. D.C. United, Michael DeShields, DF, Wake Forest

6. Houston Dynamo FC, Ethan Bartlow, DF, Washington

7. Real Salt Lake, Bret Halsey, DF, Virginia

8. Orlando City SC, Derek Dodson, FW, Georgetown

9. Vancouver Whitecaps, David Egbo, FW, Akron

10. Inter Miami CF, Josh Penn, FW, Indy Eleven/Indiana
Funny thing is 4 years from now, one of these no names will be a member of the National team.

Regarding the bolded, yes.

Not going to make any excuses but Juve haven't really found their way. Will give Pirlo credit for making Dybala and that other guy work well together. Bad news is Dybala is out for a while I believe. Also like how well McKinney has played. 

Gonna be a good run to the end in Italy.
Wow, didn't realize they were 10 points behind AC Zlatan and 7 behind Inter Manchester.  Game in hand helps (lines them up for 3/4 with a win depending on Napoli's game in hand).

Serie A, La Liga and the EPL are set up for some tight races to the top.  Serious squeaky bum time.

"Jesse Lingard has been cut from the core squad of 23 MUFC players.  Amad Diallo is soon to be added."

Looks like the end of the run at United for Lingard.  With his private life weighing heavily on him, I hope he can sort that out and revive his career.  Hopefully a change of scenery can help.  Good Luck to him.

"Jesse Lingard has been cut from the core squad of 23 MUFC players.  Amad Diallo is soon to be added."

Looks like the end of the run at United for Lingard.  With his private life weighing heavily on him, I hope he can sort that out and revive his career.  Hopefully a change of scenery can help.  Good Luck to him.
You sound pretty broken up about this.

Serie A, La Liga and the EPL are set up for some tight races to the top.  Serious squeaky bum time.
Not to count chickens, but Atleti are 7 up on Real, 10 up on Barcelona with a game in hand on each.  Real will need to get a lot better and stop dropping winnable points and Atleti will need to regress to historical form (dropping winnable points) instead of getting 2 more points in stoppage time like they did yesterday.

Atleti have won 13 of their last 14 liga games.  If the top of the table read "Real Madrid" or "Barcelona" you wouldn't say the title race would be tight.

I take back all the terrible things I said about Luis Suárez.  He is a difference maker and wins league titles.  What a signing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound pretty broken up about this.
Yes and no :lmao:

He just hasn't been good enough for a club with title aspirations.  Granted, he has had some rough times personally which seemingly has affected his game. And I feel bad for him for that.

He also loves the club and gave it his all.  He did score some important goals.  But after 2 years of below average play, for whatever reason, a change of scenery may help. Sometimes its just time to move on and start again, and his is now.  

I do wish him luck personally and professionally. 

Not to count chickens, but Atleti are 7 up on Real, 10 up on Barcelona with a game in hand on each.  Real will need to get a lot better and stop dropping winnable points and Atleti will need to regress to historical form (dropping winnable points) instead of getting 2 more points in stoppage time like they did yesterday.

Atleti have won 13 of their last 14 liga games.  If the top of the table read "Real Madrid" or "Barcelona" you wouldn't say the title race would be tight.

I take back all the terrible things I said about Luis Suárez.  He is a difference maker and wins league titles.  What a signing.
The race will always be tight with those two involved. But you might be right that Atleti sitting on top does keep the door open in people's minds.  How long was it until people accepted Leicester could win the league the year they did?  RM and Barca are capable of making a run at any time.  Plus if both beat Atleti that cuts the gap significantly and makes the game in hand a bigger deal.  But yes, Atleti is in the driver seat and it may take a lot for either to catch them.

Regardless of anyones feelings toward Suarez, he is a true goal scorer.  And when you have one of those it goes a long way to helping you win.  Barca seems to be missing him more then they thought.

Users who are viewing this thread