Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

4 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I think that Germany has qualified dor every World Cup ever. Only like 2 others have done so (Mexico and Brazil?)

The group is pretty bad, they'll still make it. I'd get rid of Low now though, no need to keep him on through the EURO imo. 

Any chance some Eastern European gambling syndicate got to Werner? So bad. 

7 hours ago, Moe. said:

The group is pretty bad, they'll still make it. I'd get rid of Low now though, no need to keep him on through the EURO imo. 

Russian oil got to him.

12 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I think that Germany has qualified dor every World Cup ever. Only like 2 others have done so (Mexico and Brazil?)

Brazil has been in all 21.  Germany has been in 19.  They did not participate in 1930, and were banned in 1950.
Italy 18, Argentina 17, Mexico 16.
France, England, Spain 15

Germany dominated possession, but just couldn't finish.  it was like they were waiting for the perfect shot.  This is a huge win for North Macedonia.

I agree with Löw may not make it to his preferred step down date.  The problem will be if whoever the DFB wants (and I have assumed for a while it would be Klopp) is still coaching in a meaningful competition when they decide.  Germans aren't going to take it well sitting 3rd in the group behind Armenia and North Macedonia.  I'm confident they will win the group, but it is an odd thing to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Before last night, Germany had only lost 2 WCQing games in their entire history!!!!

That is an astounding stat considering they have played 94 qualifying games before this cycle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Mjolnirs said:

Brazil has been in all 21.  Germany has been in 19.  They did not participate in 1930, and were banned in 1950.
Italy 18, Argentina 17, Mexico 16.
France, England, Spain 15

Germany dominated possession, but just couldn't finish.  it was like they were waiting for the perfect shot.  This is a huge win for North Macedonia.

I agree with Löw may not make it to his preferred step down date.  The problem will be if whoever the DFB wants (and I have assumed for a while it would be Klopp) is still coaching in a meaningful competition when they decide.  Germans aren't going to take it well sitting 3rd in the group behind Armenia and North Macedonia.  I'm confident they will win the group, but it is an odd thing to see.

Right.  If Terrible Warner wasn't just that, totally different story.  I watched the previous game vs. Romania in it's entirety, and Germany absolutely thumped them, hit a few posts, missed a few golden chances and squeaked out a 1-0 win.  Final score does not tell the story.  I cannot see Germany simply putting in a caretaker coach right now, and the group they are in is extremely winnable.  I'd love to see Klopp or Nagelsmann coach the national team, but I think these are simply pipe dreams.  

Low will stay there until he doesn't want to, he's not getting pushed out the door, and gave them plenty of notice.  Plenty of teams are struggling a bit. I know Spain is on top of their group but they drew Greece first match up and barely squeaked by 2-1 vs Georgia.  I think in that match, Ramos had 100 completed passes in the 1st half, vs. 28 for Georgia.  

Teams at this point in group are just fielding teams to see what works and what isn't working.

England U21 flamed out yesterday vs Croatia which is a pretty big as well.  I hate international soccer, but like seeing upsets (well, except against Die Mannschaft of course)

Edited by guru_007

I still find it odd that Low is still coach - after failing to get out of the group stage in 2018, demoted in the Nations League (admittedly not important, but following on the dismal 2018 WC).

I would have thought either, or the combination of both, would have been enough for the Federation to make a change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

Before last night, Germany had only lost 2 WCQing games in their entire history!!!!

That is an astounding stat considering they have played 94 qualifying games before this cycle.

That is a crazy stat.

1 hour ago, guru_007 said:

Right.  If Terrible Warner wasn't just that, totally different story.  I watched the previous game vs. Romania in it's entirety, and Germany absolutely thumped them, hit a few posts, missed a few golden chances and squeaked out a 1-0 win.  Final score does not tell the story.  I cannot see Germany simply putting in a caretaker coach right now, and the group they are in is extremely winnable.  I'd love to see Klopp or Nagelsmann coach the national team, but I think these are simply pipe dreams.  

Low will stay there until he doesn't want to, he's not getting pushed out the door, and gave them plenty of notice.  Plenty of teams are struggling a bit. I know Spain is on top of their group but they drew Greece first match up and barely squeaked by 2-1 vs Georgia.  I think in that match, Ramos had 100 completed passes in the 1st half, vs. 28 for Georgia.  

Teams at this point in group are just fielding teams to see what works and what isn't working.

England U21 flamed out yesterday vs Croatia which is a pretty big as well.  I hate international soccer, but like seeing upsets (well, except against Die Mannschaft of course)

They did beat Croatia, but lost out on GD from a late Croatia goal to make it 2-1.  Croatia, England, and Swiss all ended up level on 3 point with 1 win and 2 losses.  In this tourney there was also the always fun tri-group winners on 5 points with one of the winners being sent home.  

21 hours ago, Moe. said:

Just the Chelsea effect. Go look at Shevchenko and Torres before and after going there. Transferring to Chelsea after great seasons seems like a Curse. Even Pulusic 

• Thinking 1

The ownership group of your favorite USL club, Phoenix Rising, has completed their takeover of Ipswich Town.

"We are proud of our success on and off the pitch at Phoenix Rising and are committed to restoring ITFC to its former glory. To this end, the first priority is promotion to the Championship and the management team will be given additional funds to strengthen the playing squad.“

Do I refer to my new favorite League One club as the Blues or the Tractor Boys?

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

:confused:

That was after that gift Bayern gave up to go down 2-0. 

Didn't realize Gabriel Heinze was the new coach of Atlanta.  Played for United for a few years in the mid 2000s.  I liked him as a player.  Interesting to see how he does as a coach in MLS.

• Thinking 1

On 4/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, Sinn Fein said:

I still find it odd that Low is still coach - after failing to get out of the group stage in 2018, demoted in the Nations League (admittedly not important, but following on the dismal 2018 WC).

I would have thought either, or the combination of both, would have been enough for the Federation to make a change.

Klopp's not available yet.

Italy World Cup Winning DMF De Rossi hospitalized after testing Positive for Covid

De Rossi was hired last month by Italy Manager Roberto Mancini. De Rossi has become the 11th person (8 players & 3 coaches) to test positive since coming back from the International break. Judas and Juve CB Leonardo Bonnucci tested positive shortly after returning. 

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Things cleared up quite a bit in the EPL this weekend.  United have fully cemented a top-4 spot and Tottenham are all but dead and buried.  So Liverpool (58%*), Leicester (54%), Chelsea (46%) and West Ham (35%) are fighting for two CL spots.

*per 538's estimates.

40 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Things cleared up quite a bit in the EPL this weekend.  United have fully cemented a top-4 spot and Tottenham are all but dead and buried.  So Liverpool (58%*), Leicester (54%), Chelsea (46%) and West Ham (35%) are fighting for two CL spots.

*per 538's estimates.

Would they get a 5th place in Europe if one of the remaining teams wins the CL?

7 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Wait, no.

5th place doesn't get in.  Top-4 get in no matter what.  Plus any team outside the top-4 that wins it.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

*per 538's estimates.

If United win their game in hand over City they would be closer to City than Chelsea in 5th but it feels like the likelihood of United winning the league vs. missing out on CL is like 99% missing CL and 1% winning the league.  Basically if United win their next 2 games then their season is pretty much over except Europa League.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:49 AM, DJackson10 said:

Never got the reason for carding a guy removing his uniform. I've seen worst offenses never carded 

Funny, I was just going to post that I don't understand why players still take their shirts off. What do they get out of it besides a yellow? Even if you disagree why give the ref a reason to book you for something so dumb?

The video is a good representation of why.  When it was instituted the shirts were so hard to get back on it wasted time. This one was an exteme example since a fan stole the shirt.  But still, now the game has to wait while they put their shirt back on. 

21 hours ago, Desert_Power said:

Or United gets top 4 and wins Europa?

21 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Wait, no.

5th place doesn't get in.  Top-4 get in no matter what.  Plus any team outside the top-4 that wins it.

Forgot what the rule was on that.  If a top 4 wins CL or Europa do they get a 5th team in?  If not who gets that spot?

2 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Funny, I was just going to post that I don't understand why players still take their shirts off. What do they get out of it besides a yellow? Even if you disagree why give the ref a reason to book you for something so dumb?

The video is a good representation of why.  When it was instituted the shirts were so hard to get back on it wasted time. This one was an exteme example since a fan stole the shirt.  But still, now the game has to wait while they put their shirt back on. 

Both the rule and the fact that players keep doing it despite knowing they will get a yellow is stupid.  We can eliminate both all at once and should.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

*per 538's estimates.

This will get interesting for sure: 9 points between United and Chelsea.

United still have Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds, AV, Wolves, Burnley and Fulham (Plus Europa)

Chelsea have Brighton, West Ham, Fulham, City, Arsenal, Leciseter, AV (Plus FA Cup vs City, and CL)

Liverpool has the easiest looking schedule: Leeds, Newcastle, United, Southampton, WBA, Burnley, CP (Plus CL)

5 hours ago, B Maverick said:

Or United gets top 4 and wins Europa?

Forgot what the rule was on that.  If a top 4 wins CL or Europa do they get a 5th team in?  If not who gets that spot?

Milan was in this spot awhile back I think when Juve won the title and Napoli was with in grasp of the Europa League Final. Milan had to just win the Domestic Cup Coppa Italia to get in despite finishing 7th. Coppa Italia winner Qualifies for the Europa league in Serie A. I could have this all wrong though 

5 hours ago, B Maverick said:

I like the messages some have on shirts. Especially those when it's happy birthday to their spouse or commemorating a moment. Mario Ballotelli's pose after taking his shirt off in Euro's is a very engraved Moment though. Very memorable. 

I get why but that's like a lower league. It's fairly easy today to get shirts on and they have spares anyway especially if a guy gets Blood or something on his kit already. 

19 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

I like the messages some have on shirts. Especially those when it's happy birthday to their spouse or commemorating a moment. Mario Ballotelli's pose after taking his shirt off in Euro's is a very engraved Moment though. Very memorable. 

I get why but that's like a lower league. It's fairly easy today to get shirts on and they have spares anyway especially if a guy gets Blood or something on his kit already. 

Do they get booked for pulling up their shirt to reveal a message as long as the shirt is still on?

Shirts keep changing.  For awhile there was a style (dry fit?) that players were having issues with putting back on, esp if they got the inner lining all twisted with long sleeves.  At the time it made sense since there was so much time wasted on shirts.  Its one of those that should be revisited and perhaps changed.  Regardless, why give the ref an easy card?

21 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Do they get booked for pulling up their shirt to reveal a message as long as the shirt is still on?

Shirts keep changing.  For awhile there was a style (dry fit?) that players were having issues with putting back on, esp if they got the inner lining all twisted with long sleeves.  At the time it made sense since there was so much time wasted on shirts.  Its one of those that should be revisited and perhaps changed.  Regardless, why give the ref an easy card?

I believe some have but don't quote me on that. 

I have a few dry fit myself. If I just get out of the shower and put the kit on after drying off I have somewhat of a tough time getting it on. Now I don't know sometimes if thats because I ordered too small (European and American sizes differ on things) or because  I had just showered. When I sweat I had a tough time getting it off and on but it was no more then like 15-20 secs delay. 

Talking about what position qualifies for what, and I had not paid enough attention to there being a new competition starting next year.

When I first started following this sport, there was the Champions League, Cup Winners' Cup, and UEFA Cup.
Cup Winners' Cup went away, and UEFA Cup was rebranded Europa League.
Now, there will be the Europa Conference League as the third tier. :loco:

Of course, this means another spreadsheet to track another competition. :nerd:

• Like 2

Liverpool legend and Champions League winner Djibril Cissé has signed with Panathinaikos Chicago of the NPSL.  This means he will be playing against our local NPSL team a few miles from my house next month.  Assuming all restrictions are lifted, as a founding member season ticket holder, I expect to be in attendance that day, unless I have something better to do like yardwork or walking my dog.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, B Maverick said:

This will get interesting for sure: 9 points between United and Chelsea.

United still have Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds, AV, Wolves, Burnley and Fulham (Plus Europa)

Chelsea have Brighton, West Ham, Fulham, City, Arsenal, Leciseter, AV (Plus FA Cup vs City, and CL)

Liverpool has the easiest looking schedule: Leeds, Newcastle, United, Southampton, WBA, Burnley, CP (Plus CL)

that Chelsea - West Ham match looks like it could be a key in the top 4 race.

10 hours ago, Mjolnirs said:

Talking about what position qualifies for what, and I had not paid enough attention to there being a new competition starting next year.

When I first started following this sport, there was the Champions League, Cup Winners' Cup, and UEFA Cup.
Cup Winners' Cup went away, and UEFA Cup was rebranded Europa League.
Now, there will be the Europa Conference League as the third tier. :loco:

Of course, this means another spreadsheet to track another competition. :nerd:

Don't forget the Club World Cup 

58 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Don't forget the Club World Cup 

I was just talking about UEFA Cups. 

This is really an odd stance to take for the NWSL....

=========

Paul Tenorio

@PaulTenorio

· 12h

Olivia Moultrie, 15, wants to play in the NWSL. The NWSL says she can't until she's 18. Moultrie could sign pro in Europe if she was European. MLS signs U-18 teens regularly. Moultrie's attorney Len Simon says the NWSL is violating antitrust laws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

This is really an odd stance to take for the NWSL....

=========

Paul Tenorio

@PaulTenorio

· 12h

Olivia Moultrie, 15, wants to play in the NWSL. The NWSL says she can't until she's 18. Moultrie could sign pro in Europe if she was European. MLS signs U-18 teens regularly. Moultrie's attorney Len Simon says the NWSL is violating antitrust laws.

The Freddy Adu Clause?