Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

Tell us how you really feel, Coach:

Artur Petrosyan @arturpetrosyan

"If I had Hitler, Napoleon and this referee in front of me and only two bullets, I would shoot the ref twice," Viktor Zubchenko, Rostov Uni head coach.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 4
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Tell us how you really feel, Coach:

That might get him a lighter bank account 

:(

==================

Phillip Grooms 

@phillgrooms

BREAKING: I'm being told the 2021 US Open Cup will be cancelled, with a chance of rescheduling later in the year. The 106 year tradition ended in 2020 due to COVID-19. In March, @ussoccer announced a 24 team format, which was then shortened to 16 teams last month. #USOC2021

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

:(

==================

Phillip Grooms 

@phillgrooms

BREAKING: I'm being told the 2021 US Open Cup will be cancelled, with a chance of rescheduling later in the year. The 106 year tradition ended in 2020 due to COVID-19. In March, @ussoccer announced a 24 team format, which was then shortened to 16 teams last month. #USOC2021

Makes sense given the condensed schedule, World Cup and Gold Cup this summer as well. See if MLS played a regular schedule like everyone else in the World this probably wouldn't be an issue 

8 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Makes sense given the condensed schedule, World Cup and Gold Cup this summer as well. See if MLS played a regular schedule like everyone else in the World this probably wouldn't be an issue 

It's mid April, which is as late as I can remember a season starting and as I look out my window it is snowing out.

The league simply can't play through the real winter here.  We would have 10+ cities that could not play home games.

10 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

It's mid April, which is as late as I can remember a season starting and as I look out my window it is snowing out.

The league simply can't play through the real winter here.  We would have 10+ cities that could not play home games.

You could do what the Russian and some other leagues do. Have a longer lay off during the winter months. Say Dec-Feb/March. It could work out. The only reason I've seen the argument made not too in the Russian league is do to European competition but this wouldn't effect MLS besides Concacafe that is already a problem for them anyway. It also allows MLS to keep star players on rosters rather then joining international clubs for major tournaments (though MLS did implement in the last few yrs 2 weeks off start of major tourneys). The other reasonable negative debate on this is MLS would complete with NFL/NBA/NHL for time and MLB during the Playoffs plus College Football. 

29 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

All the southern teams could have home games from Nov-March.  Northern teams before and after.  Would help get around the heat issues in the south too.  It's a wonky schedule for sure, but might be worth it to solve the synchronization problems with the ROW calendar.

• Like 1

MLS Nationality Trivia:

• What percentage of available minutes in MLS were played by Americans last year?
  • Name four of the next six countries of origin in terms of MLS minutes played?
  • What is the first European country on the list, in terms of total MLS minutes played?
  • How many different countries and US territories are represented in the MLS player pool?
  • Which country leads the list in terms of average minutes played by players from that country?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

MLS Nationality Trivia:

• What percentage of available minutes in MLS were played by Americans last year?
  • Name four of the next six countries of origin in terms of MLS minutes played?
  • What is the first European country on the list, in terms of total MLS minutes played?
  • How many different countries and US territories are represented in the MLS player pool?
  • Which country leads the list in terms of average minutes played by players from that country?

1) between 35-45%

2) Canada, Argentina, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Colombia, Venezuela and I think Ghana have a ton of players in MLS.  Where they rank in order, I don't know

3) I believe England, Germany and Spain have the most players but I don't know about minutes played. 

4) oh jesus, that has to be enormous....close to 80?

5) I don't understand the question...

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

1) between 35-45% correct - 38%

2) Canada, Argentina, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Colombia, Venezuela and I think Ghana have a ton of players in MLS.  Where they rank in order, I don't know.

3) I believe England, Germany and Spain have the most players but I don't know about minutes played.  Incorrect

4) oh jesus, that has to be enormous....close to 80? correct - 83

5) I don't understand the question... Monteiro is the only player from Cape Verde and played more than 1900 minutes. Cape Verde leads all nations in terms of minutes/player in MLS.

• Love 1

Inter MIA has the no SH** Sherlock moment of MLS. Inter MIA apparently violated roster issues and have too many DP players dating back to last year. MLS is still investigating but Basically Pellegrini is no longer part of the team but Inter MIA still hold his rights. He can't be traded or loaned within MLS though and INTER MIA accumulates any fees they get from the transfer. For those who remember Inter Mia bought Gonzalo Higiaun last year and fast tracked him ready for MLS debut which happened against My Union. Gonzo missed a PK by a pretty good distance in that debut and Union ended up winning, however a lot of people thought some shady business was going on to fast track Gonzo for MIA. 

Inter Miami CF violated league roster and budget rules by having four designated players on its roster in 2020, MLS announced on Friday night.

The league said in March that it was investigating Miami’s summer signing of World Cup-winner Blaise Matuidi, who was billed as being signed with targeted allocation money. By acquiring the Frenchman on a TAM deal, Miami preserved its third and final DP slot (the club signed Rodolfo Pizarro and Matias Pellegrini as DPs prior to Matuidi’s arrival), which it later used to land Argentine striker Gonzalo Higuain.

MLS announced on Friday that its investigation found that Matuidi was paid above the limit for a TAM player — $1.6125 million in 2020 — and should have been classified as a DP. As a result, the club had four DPs for the final months of the 2020 season, putting them in violation of league rules that limit all clubs to three DPs.

Heading into Friday, all four of those DPs were still on Miami’s roster. The club had to offload one of them prior to the MLS roster compliance deadline on Friday night. To do so, the team announced that it was loaning Pellegrini to its USL League One affiliate, Ft. Lauderdale CF. It also reached an agreement to buy out Pellegrini’s cap number. The buyout is an MLS accounting mechanism, not a contract termination. Pellegrini remains under contract with MLS and can still be sold or loaned outside of the league. Because of the buyout, however, Pellegrini cannot be traded or loaned within MLS.

Should Pellegrini be sold in the summer or winter transfer windows, Inter Miami would get any transfer fee from the sale, as it technically has kept Pellegrini’s MLS rights by loaning the player.

Pellegrini, 21, was signed by Inter Miami for a transfer fee between $6-9 million in the summer of 2019, months ahead of the start of the club's expansion season in MLS in 2020. The Argentine largely disappointed last year, struggling to maintain a starting role and recording just one goal and two assists in regular-season action.

While Miami is now down to three DPs, this saga is not over. In its announcement, the league said that it is still “finalizing” its investigation into the club and that it will announce the “results of that investigation, including sanctions, in the near future.”

Inter Miami will open the 2021 season on Sunday at home against the LA Galaxy.

2 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

Inter MIA has the no SH** Sherlock moment of MLS. Inter MIA apparently violated roster issues and have too many DP players dating back to last year. MLS is still investigating but Basically Pellegrini is no longer part of the team but Inter MIA still hold his rights.

this is mind boggling on so many levels.  They spent $8m on the kid and did not understand the roster rules and now he is in the 3rd division in American soccer.

Even worse for me is how in the hell did MLS take over a year to realize that Miami broke the rules last season?

• Like 1

This MLS starting their games ON TIME instead of the customary 20-37 minutes late is taking a toll on me getting my bets in accurately.  Would have been nice if they gave me the heads up.  Also, was surprised to read about the Brian Rodriguez drama as I was looking over lineups earlier.  I thought he looked like a good young player with lots of potential last year :shrug:

19 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

this is mind boggling on so many levels.  They spent $8m on the kid and did not understand the roster rules and now he is in the 3rd division in American soccer.

Even worse for me is how in the hell did MLS take over a year to realize that Miami broke the rules last season?

MLS gives special privileges to certain clubs and has for yrs now as they want certain players (big name wise) in certain markets. Dempsey to SEA, Fast tracking Higuain to MIA etc. They only concern themselves with technicalities after the fact. 

FY: In FIFA Pellegrini is one of the Young Gems in Fifa career mode a lot of Career mode players get early for their squad 

Barcelona have had an up and down year, but glad to see Koeman secure at least one trophy given the disaster he walked into. He's constantly tinkering and introducing new youth players to get the best out of a flawed squad. Hopefully not the last trophy Messi lifts for the Blaugrana.

Statement from Bayern regarding Hansi Flick

Yesterday (Saturday), FC Bayern head coach Hansi Flick made public his wish to terminate his contract, which runs until June 2023, at the end of the current season. Hansi Flick had informed the FC Bayern München AG executive board of this wish during the past week. Hansi Flick and FC Bayern had agreed to place the focus on the matches against VfL Wolfsburg, Bayer 04 Leverkusen (20 April) and 1. FSV Mainz 05 (24 April), in order not to disrupt the concentration of the whole club on these three important matches.

FC Bayern disapproves of the unilateral communications issued by Hansi Flick and will continue talks after the match at Mainz, as agreed.

Evidently there is a pissing match between Flick and Salihamidžić, who is Bayern's Sporting Director.
The rumor mill indicates Flick could be the leading candidate to replace Löw with Die Nationalmannschaft.

15 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

MLS gives special privileges to certain clubs and has for yrs now as they want certain players (big name wise) in certain markets.

Preach.  It's always been this way.

Andy Williams was a Jamaican player -- a pretty good midfielder.

He was a discovery player.  Which meant (IIRC) that any team could sign him.  DC United put a claim in on him, and so did Columbus.  Rules said first-come, first-serve.  The time stamp on DCU's fax (yes, seriously) was minutes ahead of Columbus's.  But the league awarded Williams to the Crew because, and I quote, "DC United doesn't need any more good players."

And the league office propped up the execrable NY/NJ Metrostars (or whatever) for a decade trying to get them a title. 20+ years later and I still hate MLS because of that.  And the SEM, which makes it possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

He was a discovery player.  Which meant (IIRC) that any team could sign him.  DC United put a claim in on him, and so did Columbus.  Rules said first-come, first-serve.  The time stamp on DCU's fax (yes, seriously) was minutes ahead of Columbus's.  But the league awarded Williams to the Crew because, and I quote, "DC United doesn't need any more good players."

And the league office propped up the execrable NY/NJ Metrostars (or whatever) for a decade trying to get them a title. 20+ years later and I still hate MLS because of that.  And the SEM, which makes it possible.

Only started Following when Beckham went to LAG. I liken MLS stepping in on these situations similar to the NCAA protecting certain players or programs to get away with literal murder then years later going "oh wait you can't do that." and use some virtue signaling. Did it with the JoePa stuff, Ohio State as well. Wouldn't be surprised in a few yrs the can of worms on the Jamis Winston case gets open up and we find out FSU should've been in trouble for that. 

The two I remember most though in MLS is Clint Dempsey back to Seattle and another I can't remember but was a South American Player they gave to SEA or someone. My favorite part about the whole thing with this player I can't remember is MLS argued because he was a discovery player founded by that club his rights were already that club's. 

In a way I get MLS wanting parity but this isn't the way to go about it. I think if I'm not mistaken the Union do to the fact they were the club he played against first, filed a complaint with the league on the Higuain transfer which set this whole thing in motion but this was mostly about the VISA they complained about. 

Mandzukic gives up March Salary do to injuries and not playing

This is why I love this sport more then others sometimes. The players are willing to go above and beyond on these things. No reason behind it other than professionalism 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

To be fair, if you feel this way, you must have an awful time justifying being a football fan in general.

Players, coaches, teams, leagues, federations and the governing body have, since the beginning of time, been involved in manipulations, corruptions, bribes, and a million other scandals.

Hell, even today some think this latest Euro Super League talk is just another veiled threat by the big teams trying to manipulate UEFA into making their life easier and more profitable via Champions League, as they have already done twice before.

How exactly would this Euro Super League thing work?

Teams play in two leagues?  The EPL goes on without Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal, City and Tottenham?

The thing I don't get is if you put all of these big clubs in the same league, someone is going to finish last.  And 10th.  And etc.  How long will fans stick around for teams that finish bottom of the SL table year after year?

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

To be fair, if you feel this way, you must have an awful time justifying being a football fan in general.

Players, coaches, teams, leagues, federations and the governing body have, since the beginning of time, been involved in manipulations, corruptions, bribes, and a million other scandals.

These aren't even scandals!  That's the point.  It's just how the league operates.  If they don't like a rule, they ignore it.

And yeah, I have a bad feeling about this Super League thing for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

How exactly would this Euro Super League thing work?

Teams play in two leagues?  The EPL goes on without Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal, City and Tottenham?

The thing I don't get is if you put all of these big clubs in the same league, someone is going to finish last.  And 10th.  And etc.  How long will fans stick around for teams that finish bottom of the SL table year after year?

The 15 permanent clubs will supposedly leave their domestic leagues for ever.  Then 5 other teams will yo yo.

The governing bodies are saying they oppose this but of course that will all be swept under the rug via a large enough payment and or UEFA bending over again to accommodate the big clubs.

I am interested to see how FIFA handles this.  They could bar any players who play in the break away league from playing international soccer but the money is likely to be so great in the Super League it may not matter.  And of course FIFA will have their hand out just like every other entity and will justify it once the suit case weighs enough.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

These aren't even scandals!  That's the point.  It's just how the league operates.  If they don't like a rule, they ignore it.

I don't see much of a distinction between ignoring a rule and general corruption that gets around a rule.  Ways are found at all level and in all leagues.

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The 15 permanent clubs will supposedly leave their domestic leagues for ever.  Then 5 other teams will yo yo.

This seems crazy to me -- even if there's more money in the short run.

How long do you think the fans of Tottenham Hotspur (hypothetically) are going to buy tickets to see their team finish 18th year after year?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

This seems crazy to me -- even if there's more money in the short run.

How long do you think the fans of Tottenham Hotspur (hypothetically) are going to buy tickets to see their team finish 18th year after year?

My guess is that the owners drool over the American model and see NFL stadiums still full for the bad teams year after year.

Whether that works in Europe I have no idea.   All I can tell is that very very few fans seem to think this is a good idea.

I still think that once UEFA grabs their ankles again, this will all go away for another 5-7 years but there are lots of reports that this is real this time and not just a manipulating threat.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Official statement from UEFA about Super League: “The clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other domestic competition, European or International level, and the players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I'm happy to see UEFA and FAs in England, Spain and Italy going to the mat over this.  

well that kind of goes with out saying.  Many leagues TV and sponsorship packages are going to drop SIGNIFICANTLY once the big teams are gone.   The average EPL team is no longer going to have any where near the money they have today if this actually happens.