What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

While this is powerful and true, it does sting when you think of how little has been done against racism and the Qatar cluster ####.

===============================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Remarkable.. utterly remarkable. People have taken down the combined richest forces in all of sports - in less than 48 hours.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
If I were really, really cynical I'd swear all this was just to let UEFA announce the expanded CL format starting in 2023 with as little blowback as possible.
Whether planned or not, that news certainly flew under the radar yesterday.  I'm old enough to remember the outrage when the so-called "Champions League" decided to admit 2nd, 3rd and even 4th place teams.  The horror! The greed! Nothing but a cash-grab!

ok now that this looks to be dying the fastest death in history, lets change the parameters of the Super League.  It is clear that the players, coaches and fans were unusually unified against the Super League.

If the Super League was presented this way instead, would more have been in favor iof it?  I know UEFA would have to fight this tooth and nail but I am more thinking about players/coaches/fans buy in.

* Super League to start in 2027

* At the end of the 2026 season, the top 20 ranked UEFA teams will make up the first season of the Super League.  If any don't wish to join, the next highest ranked team will be invited

* All 20 teams will not play in the UCL

* 4 teams will be relegated each year from the Super League

* the 4 teams that make UCL semi finals will be promoted

* All teams in the Super League stay in their domestic leagues as well
I think something similar to this would've had a better chance of going over with football fans, but it's exactly what the Kroenke's, Glazers', and Perez's of the deal didn't want.  They want guaranteed fortune.  They don't want any chance that some other entity could come in and take their golden goose.  I don't see anyway that this league develops with pro/reg involved.  And without it, I don't think footy fans will ever be on board.

I think something similar to this would've had a better chance of going over with football fans, but it's exactly what the Kroenke's, Glazers', and Perez's of the deal didn't want.  They want guaranteed fortune.  They don't want any chance that some other entity could come in and take their golden goose.  I don't see anyway that this league develops with pro/reg involved.  And without it, I don't think footy fans will ever be on board.
IMO, the Super League idea is never going to go away, but now it feels like the parameters have been set when this bubbles up again around 2030.

I also am unsure what this fall out may mean for the expected MLS/Liga MX merger.  

United is out from latest reports.  Apparently the players weren't keen on the idea and senior members went to management to make ultimatums/threats?
Wow, I did not expect that.  Woodward and Joel Glazer were the main force behind this.  Suprised they would pull out so quickly.

Wow, I did not expect that.  Woodward and Joel Glazer were the main force behind this.  Suprised they would pull out so quickly.
Even the most clueless individuals had to see where this was headed the last 24 hours.   I have been following the game my entire life and I have never seen such a unified force against one issue.

Even the absolute cluster #### of Qatar was met with many just shaking their heads regarding the corruption.

ok now that this looks to be dying the fastest death in history, lets change the parameters of the Super League.  It is clear that the players, coaches and fans were unusually unified against the Super League.

If the Super League was presented this way instead, would more have been in favor iof it?  I know UEFA would have to fight this tooth and nail but I am more thinking about players/coaches/fans buy in.

* Super League to start in 2027

* At the end of the 2026 season, the top 20 ranked UEFA teams will make up the first season of the Super League.  If any don't wish to join, the next highest ranked team will be invited

* All 20 teams will not play in the UCL

* 4 teams will be relegated each year from the Super League

* the 4 teams that make UCL semi finals will be promoted

* All teams in the Super League stay in their domestic leagues as well

A minor point perhaps, but there's no way I want to use UEFA's coefficients to decide participation in a non-UEFA tournament.  More importantly, I think the main point for the owners and funding source (JP Morgan) is that the world's top 15 football brands would be in this thing year in and year out.  I like the idea of having 5 new invitees every new season.

Even the most clueless individuals had to see where this was headed the last 24 hours.   I have been following the game my entire life and I have never seen such a unified force against one issue.

Even the absolute cluster #### of Qatar was met with many just shaking their heads regarding the corruption.
Wooward and the Glazers are beyond the most clueless.

Seeing a lot of reports coming out.

Arsenal out

Majority of the teams are out

Nothing about United so I still believe they are holding out hope and will go down with the ship

A minor point perhaps, but there's no way I want to use UEFA's coefficients to decide participation in a non-UEFA tournament.  More importantly, I think the main point for the owners and funding source (JP Morgan) is that the world's top 15 football brands would be in this thing year in and year out.  I like the idea of having 5 new invitees every new season.
well my idea was that it would be a UEFA tournament, which is why I tied using the Champions League as the promotion platform.

I understand the closed model and what the reasoning was for it.  I was trying to explore avenues in which the fans/coaches/players would accept it.

I read many people predicting both Chelsea and City would be the first two to bail.  Looks like those predictions were correct

================

Ryan O'Hanlon

@rwohan

City and Chelsea are owned by impossibly rich people who are in it for the prestige/reputation-laundering/both. They don't need the extra 200 million or so from the Super League, and joining a league that everyone hates isn't gonna help with prestige/reputation-laundering.

Talk sport is reporting that Ed Woodward has resigned as chairman of Manchester United due to the backlash over the ESL.

I am at a loss for words now.  I wanted him out of the football side but not the marketing side.  But if he's gone, maybe the director of football will actual be allowed to do things good for the football club

I read many people predicting both Chelsea and City would be the first two to bail.  Looks like those predictions were correct

================

Ryan O'Hanlon

@rwohan

City and Chelsea are owned by impossibly rich people who are in it for the prestige/reputation-laundering/both. They don't need the extra 200 million or so from the Super League, and joining a league that everyone hates isn't gonna help with prestige/reputation-laundering.
I saw a stat earlier today that showed that Chelsea was the only team among the 12 in the Super League that reported no debt last year.  Man City was second lowest with only like $30M in debt.  The rest, especially Tottenham, Real Madrid, and Barca had run up huge amounts of debt.

It was clear that Man City and Chelsea didn't need the money and I don't doubt that the reports that they were practically strong-armed into joining to begin with were accurate.  Once they saw their fans negative reaction it's not surprising that their decisions were quickly reversed.  It'll be interesting to see if this does anything to change the majority of English fans' opinions on those two ownership groups.... hell, maybe Roman can use this to get his UK visa back.  :)

Talk sport is reporting that Ed Woodward has resigned as chairman of Manchester United due to the backlash over the ESL.

I am at a loss for words now.  I wanted him out of the football side but not the marketing side.  But if he's gone, maybe the director of football will actual be allowed to do things good for the football club
The guys on Peacock also just reported this during the Chelsea/Brighton pre-game.  This is absolutely incredible.  Honestly, I'm enjoying it, but WTF?!?

I wonder if all the people lecturing us about how well the powers that be knew what they were getting into when they announced this have started to change their minds.....

well my idea was that it would be a UEFA tournament, which is why I tied using the Champions League as the promotion platform.

I understand the closed model and what the reasoning was for it.  I was trying to explore avenues in which the fans/coaches/players would accept it.
If its a UEFA tournament, I think the main change has to be UEFA paying more money to the clubs, which was the main point of the ESL.  Seems unlikely, but maybe the clubs have some leverage now.

Sounds like Woodward was intending to quit this summer any way according to reports so this just accelerated things.
Interesting.  Would guess he expected to be the Vice Chairman of the Super League and wouldn't need United any more.  And since they now have a DoF in place......

wth... Woodward (United) and Agnelli (Juve) are OUT.
and to think I chuckled a bit when I read this yesterday

===================

UEFA president Alexander Ceferin has hit out at Manchester United and Juventus supremos Ed Woodward and Andrea Agnelli, branding them "snakes" after leading proposals for a breakaway Super League.

I did not see this coming 
The speed has taken me by surprise. I had assumed part of the tactic was to let people vent and move forward later when things quiet down and people moved on to other concerns.

But now it appears clear there was absolutely no plan other than "the leagues can't survive with out us so we can do what ever we want"

New reports saying Woodward is out, but will stay on through the end of the year.

Guessing thats end of this season and not 2021.

ETA, nope they mean until the end of 2021

Last edited by a moderator:
reminds me of when we all took the side of US Soccer against the USWNT
now that I think about this a little more, this was different, mostly because of timing.

In the beginning, almost everyone was on the USWNT side since we did not have all the information, but that changed as soon as we became educated.

Sure there were a few uneducated people who still clung to "girls rule boyz drool" but for the most part people understood the finer points.

This ESL thing has been only one direction since it was announced.

As others have said, hopefully we can get back to hating the organizations like FIFA/UEFA/US Soccer as the gods intended :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of speculation that the Glazers could sell United after this failed super league attempt.  Might be why Woodward is still going to be there, help the sale.

I did not see this coming 
The speed has taken me by surprise. I had assumed part of the tactic was to let people vent and move forward later when things quiet down and people moved on to other concerns.

But now it appears clear there was absolutely no plan other than "the leagues can't survive with out us so we can do what ever we want"
Oh, I made that post for @Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein said:
I don't even think that is true.  There is backlash every time a super league idea is floated.

From what I am reading - this has been 2 years in the making, and that the owners are prepared to move forward.  They already got a favorable court ruling in Spain, effectively barring UEFA and/or FIFA from imposing any sanctions on the teams until there has been a full hearing.

I think the owners are prepared to ride out the storm, and will be prepared to start play in the fall.
I'll take Posts That Did Not Age Well, for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread