What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

David Amoyal of Calcioland shouted out some of his patrons today and he tagged me as one of the people to follow on twitter. Amoyal has about 200 Patrons so it's pretty cool he shouted me out 

I would think part of the idea behind giving the "founder" ESL clubs the upfront cash is for them to build bigger squads to handle the increased fixture load. Has to be even rougher when you have an overseas international game midweek and have to play back in Europe over the weekend. 

But, you're right, soccer players seem to have a lot less say in these things than players in our domestic leagues. Ironically, they aren't unionized. 
It's hard to unionize when you have several major leagues in various countries.  

It's hard to unionize when you have several major leagues in various countries.  
You could Unionize in specific countries but to do a world Union would be harder given rules certain countries have on rosters and other things. China you can only have X amount of internationals on your roster but you can only have like 2 or 3 named to a match day roster or something. Other countries have rules like loaned players can't play against their parent club. MLS has a draft where the other don't, Then you got all the different schedules. 

:lmao:

=============

[Aleksander Čeferin]: "But for me it's a clear difference between the English clubs and the other six. They pulled out first, they admitted they made a mistake. You have to have some greatness to say: 'I was wrong.' For me there are three groups of this 12 -- the English Six, who went out first, then the other three [Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, Inter] after them and then the ones who feel that Earth is flat and they think the Super League still exists [Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus]. And there is a big difference between those. But everyone will be held responsible. In what way, we will see.

"I don't want to say disciplinary process but it has to be clear that everyone has to be held responsible in a different way. Is it disciplinary? Is it the decision of the executive committee? We will see. It's too early to say."

:lmao:

=============

[Aleksander Čeferin]: "But for me it's a clear difference between the English clubs and the other six. They pulled out first, they admitted they made a mistake. You have to have some greatness to say: 'I was wrong.' For me there are three groups of this 12 -- the English Six, who went out first, then the other three [Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, Inter] after them and then the ones who feel that Earth is flat and they think the Super League still exists [Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus]. And there is a big difference between those. But everyone will be held responsible. In what way, we will see.

"I don't want to say disciplinary process but it has to be clear that everyone has to be held responsible in a different way. Is it disciplinary? Is it the decision of the executive committee? We will see. It's too early to say."
Can someone tell Ceferin he's the pot calling the kettle black? 

Last edited by a moderator:
This Schalke story is nuts. It probably won’t happen but they club should be disbanded if you ask me.

It seems weird to link to another message board and I’m sure most of us go to r/soccer, but if you’re not aware of what happened this is a good summary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/myj63v/leaked_voice_messages_schalke_fans_discuss_what/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Unfortunately this isn't even remotely isolated.  Off the top of my head, in France, ultras stormed the training ground at one team and surrounded players.   Another French teams grounds were destroyed causing a game cancellation.  Last year Sporting Lisbon's fans ran into the training facility and attacked the players.  Something else just happened in France too, can't recall off the top of my head.  Not sure why there were no police around, Schalke not a small side.

Who exactly is Matthew Doyle? 

He's been a good follow generally for a few months now, and he knows his stuff, but now that MLS has started he's posting utterly routine plays with accompanying descriptions like Jesus descended from Heaven and is strolling around the field doing Messi(ah) things.

Do agents pay him per mention?  Is he an MLS PR flak?  It's ridiculous how much he's puffing these guys up.

Also, I assume someone has already trademarked, "You can't spell Messiah without Messi"?

(ETA:  sadly, my Google search reveals that I'm approximately the 14,198,277th person to think of this)

Yes by definition.  He has worked for MLS for years now.  He can be really loopy at times and cogent at other times.
HA!  I followed him thinking he was some sort of analytics nerd.  Not sure where I found him now.  He's definitely smart and posts some good content, but the RA-RA-RA really stood out this weekend.

His Twitter mouseover doesn't say anything about MLS specifically, but he does link is to MLS.

preparing for that Arsenal bid ...

Hi,

Starting April 30, 2021, we are increasing the price of Premium Family so we can continue to bring you new content and features that you can enjoy as a family and as individuals*.

The price of Premium Family will change from $14.99/month to $15.99/month. Since you’re already a Premium Family subscriber, we’re giving you one additional month at the current price**. This means the new price will become effective on your June billing date.

Thanks for being a fan of Premium.

- The Spotify team

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
HA!  I followed him thinking he was some sort of analytics nerd.  Not sure where I found him now.  He's definitely smart and posts some good content, but the RA-RA-RA really stood out this weekend.

His Twitter mouseover doesn't say anything about MLS specifically, but he does link is to MLS.
he writes for the leagues web site, creates pod casts for the site, things like that.

I love that Toronto did so well with the tiny Giovinco that they are going micro sizes again :)   This guy might be the smallest player in the history of the league but he can play.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1386779632092000259?s=20
the media guys are ga ga over the little man

Caleb Adams

@itscalebadams

Toronto has come in and signed Yeferson Soteldo, one of the best young attackers in the Brazilian Serie A who lit up the last Libertadores tournament.

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

Would take him over any other player in MLS. I rate him that highly. Is an exceptional player.

So Cade Cowell is 17.5, the #1 guy in the HS class of '22 and had a nice game over the weekend.  How good do we think he is?  Love the aggression.

So Cade Cowell is 17.5, the #1 guy in the HS class of '22 and had a nice game over the weekend.  How good do we think he is?  Love the aggression.
there were some posts about him in the US thread recently.

He is a physical beast.  I saw one play in pre season where a veteran CB threw a shoulder charge at him and just bounced off of Cade like a fly get swatted.

I had been worried about his feet since you don't often see physical monsters having above average technical skills but both his goal, which showed excellent body control, and his nice outside of the foot assist, showed me he is worth keeping an eye on.

there were some posts about him in the US thread recently.

He is a physical beast.  I saw one play in pre season where a veteran CB threw a shoulder charge at him and just bounced off of Cade like a fly get swatted.

I had been worried about his feet since you don't often see physical monsters having above average technical skills but both his goal, which showed excellent body control, and his nice outside of the foot assist, showed me he is worth keeping an eye on.
his first MLS goal, like Caden, was pretty top tier.

Cade, Caden and ... we need a new law firm.

guru_007 said:
Unfortunately this isn't even remotely isolated.  Off the top of my head, in France, ultras stormed the training ground at one team and surrounded players.   Another French teams grounds were destroyed causing a game cancellation.  Last year Sporting Lisbon's fans ran into the training facility and attacked the players.  Something else just happened in France too, can't recall off the top of my head.  Not sure why there were no police around, Schalke not a small side.
Marisalles (SP) fans stormed the training facility. This is the club Flavian plays for. The Club president told the players out of contract this June they either signed extensions or go find another club and he would try and transfer him during the winter transfer 

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Who exactly is Matthew Doyle? 

He's been a good follow generally for a few months now, and he knows his stuff, but now that MLS has started he's posting utterly routine plays with accompanying descriptions like Jesus descended from Heaven and is strolling around the field doing Messi(ah) things.

Do agents pay him per mention?  Is he an MLS PR flak?  It's ridiculous how much he's puffing these guys up.

Also, I assume someone has already trademarked, "You can't spell Messiah without Messi"?

(ETA:  sadly, my Google search reveals that I'm approximately the 14,198,277th person to think of this)
He writes for MLS website but he's a local philly guy who use to cover a lot of the college and HS soccer in the Delaware county (My County's) area as well as covering the Union. He's not as good as Jonathan Tannenwald or Kevin Kinkade (Who I DM with constantly), but he's a cool guy. I've met him a few times at Union Matches. 

CletiusMaximus said:
Is it kind of strange that an Austrian dude named Hütter was born in 1970 and his parents named him Adolph? No wonder he goes by "Adi."
Dude at my work his first name is Stephen and they middle named him Adolf. 

I love that Toronto did so well with the tiny Giovinco that they are going micro sizes again :)   This guy might be the smallest player in the history of the league but he can play.

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1386779632092000259?s=20
DAH F? He's a guy I've wanted Milan to get for Ages. I've seen Soltedo play for Gremio. He's only like 5-3 I believe but the dude is silky smooth dribbler and great passer, shot creator. PES had him as a 78 Overall. I created him in Fifa and put in Brazilian league (Since Fifa doesn't have Brazil license I created some of the better players in the league), trying to sign him but I get the he's too important to the team. Overall very good addition and if he developes to his potential Tor could easily sell him for possible a record transfer Europe in 2-3 yrs. Really Happy he's MLS though. Big signing for the league plus now in the next FIFA I can actually get him to Milan easily and know exactly what my first transfer coming in is in my manager mode 

Whats this draft thing you are talking about. My club the Union and Ernst Tanner don't believe in that rubbish 
Cade was not drafted. 

He led the country in scoring for his club team when he was 15 and then SJ scooped in him into their academy.

He was promoted from the academy to the first team last year.  He started his pro career at 16 years old.  He is significantly advanced physically for his age, which allowed this to happen.  This is not a typical 16 year old looking soccer player.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/cade-cowell-of-the-san-jose-earthquakes-during-a-game-between-united-picture-id1213424646?s=2048x2048

He is considered the #1 player in his age group in the country by some rating services.

Cade was not drafted. 

He led the country in scoring for his club team when he was 15 and then SJ scooped in him into their academy.

He was promoted from the academy to the first team last year.  He started his pro career at 16 years old.  He is significantly advanced physically for his age, which allowed this to happen.  This is not a typical 16 year looking kid

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/cade-cowell-of-the-san-jose-earthquakes-during-a-game-between-united-picture-id1213424646?s=2048x2048

He is considered the #1 player in his age group in the country by some rating services.
Ah ok I read that wrong. I thought he was in HS still or something. Whenever I see #1 in country I think prospects for HS. 

Julian Nagelsmann to become FC Bayern head coach

FC Bayern have appointed Julian Nagelsmann as their new head coach. The Bavarian-born 33-year-old will move to Munich from RB Leipzig on 1 July 2021 ahead of the new season, signing a five-year-contract with the German record champions until 30 June 2026.

Julian Nagelsmann coached the TSG Hoffenheim first team from February 2016, becoming the youngest head coach in Bundesliga history. Since 1 July 2019, Nagelsmann has been in charge of RB Leipzig, who he led to the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League last season.

The Brodge preemptively turns down Spurs to stay at Leicester after stories emerge Levy was pitching brass to hire him away.

Kind of feels like Levy's track record is catching up with him.

Kind of feels like Levy's track record is catching up with him.
Eh?  Not sure what Levy't track record has to do here.

I, for one, am glad Spurs are not going for Rodgers.

Disappointed they did not get Nagelsmann - but he should have been the choice after Poch, not Mourinho.

Eh?  Not sure what Levy't track record has to do here.

I, for one, am glad Spurs are not going for Rodgers.

Disappointed they did not get Nagelsmann - but he should have been the choice after Poch, not Mourinho.
Sinn you would have been a better choice the Jose. 

And they were never getting Nagelsmann, esp once Flick announced he was stepping down.

Rodgers is a good coach but I see him about the same as Poch. I also don't see why he would leave Leicester?

Sinn you would have been a better choice the Jose. 

And they were never getting Nagelsmann, esp once Flick announced he was stepping down.

Rodgers is a good coach but I see him about the same as Poch. I also don't see why he would leave Leicester?
Yeah - I meant they should have gone after Nagelsmann as soon as they sacked Poch - once the Bayern job opened up nobody else had a shot.

I see Rodgers as at least a half-step behind Poch.  Rogers is good, not great, and he has already reached his peak.

Also agree - sort of - with staying at Leicester.  Good young nucleus of players, but I don't think they have saying power.

Yeah - I meant they should have gone after Nagelsmann as soon as they sacked Poch - once the Bayern job opened up nobody else had a shot.

I see Rodgers as at least a half-step behind Poch.  Rogers is good, not great, and he has already reached his peak.

Also agree - sort of - with staying at Leicester.  Good young nucleus of players, but I don't think they have saying power.
Half step isn't a bad place to be. I mean he was a slip away from an EPL title and then watched his team be sold off.

I guess for Rodgers it will depend on recruitment and Iahnacho's form.  Vardy and Evans are older, who else is coming through or coming in to replace?  Does Maddison stay?

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/april/27-april/fabian-balbuena-red-card-rescinded-appeal

"West Ham United can confirm that Fabián Balbuena’s red card in Saturday’s Premier League fixture against Chelsea has been overturned on appeal. 

The defender will now be eligible for the Hammers’ trip to Burnley on Bank Holiday Monday, 3 May. 

On Saturday, Balbuena was sent-off with nine minutes of the match remaining, after making contact with the Blues’ Ben Chilwell in his follow-through from a clearance.  

Referee Chris Kavanagh was asked to look at the incident on the pitchside monitor by VAR official Peter Bankes and decreed that the No4’s actions constituted serious foul play. 

The appeal against Balbuena’s red card was reviewed by an independent regulatory commission on Tuesday at the Football Association and, following this process, the defender’s suspension has been rescinded and lifted with immediate effect. "

Good, now when does the ref and VAR ref get to answer for their stupidity?

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/april/27-april/fabian-balbuena-red-card-rescinded-appeal

"West Ham United can confirm that Fabián Balbuena’s red card in Saturday’s Premier League fixture against Chelsea has been overturned on appeal. 

The defender will now be eligible for the Hammers’ trip to Burnley on Bank Holiday Monday, 3 May. 

On Saturday, Balbuena was sent-off with nine minutes of the match remaining, after making contact with the Blues’ Ben Chilwell in his follow-through from a clearance.  

Referee Chris Kavanagh was asked to look at the incident on the pitchside monitor by VAR official Peter Bankes and decreed that the No4’s actions constituted serious foul play. 

The appeal against Balbuena’s red card was reviewed by an independent regulatory commission on Tuesday at the Football Association and, following this process, the defender’s suspension has been rescinded and lifted with immediate effect. "

Good, now when does the ref and VAR ref get to answer for their stupidity?
Yep.

It's one thing to miss a call during play. But to actually stop and review it and THEN come to that decision? There needs to be accountability.

Yep.

It's one thing to miss a call during play. But to actually stop and review it and THEN come to that decision? There needs to be accountability.
Reading through several discussions on the call and I can not believe how many agreed with the red.  Sure many were probably trolls or Chelsea supporters but they all seemed to point to the still frame of his cleats on the calf.  I think the ref & VAR got stuck on this too and I am not sure why. They both saw the slow mo of the full play and could see that Balbuena is the one playing the ball. Sure a freeze frame looks bad.  But in the context of the play its not even a foul.  I just do not get how that played out.

At least the ref went to the monitor to make the wrong call.  VAR shouldn't of had anything to say about it, but in the end it was still the on field ref messing that up.

Users who are viewing this thread