What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

From ESPN

===============

UEFA are ready to pursue severe disciplinary action against clubs that signed up to the Super League and have yet to sufficiently distance themselves from the project, multiple sources familiar with the situation have told ESPN.

This could result in the maximum punishment under the organization's disciplinary pathway, which is a two-year ban from the Champions League or Europa League.

UEFA have spent the past 10 days in conversation with the 12 clubs in an effort to agree a lesser sanction and extract a formal definitive commitment not to pursue the Super League effort. As of Wednesday, according to sources familiar with the situation, they had reached an understanding with seven clubs: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur. Inter Milan were close to an agreement as well, according to sources, though none has yet been reached.

The remaining four clubs -- Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and AC Milan -- have so far stuck to their positions and could face the UEFA disciplinary process for, among other things, violating Article 51 of the statutes, which states that "No combinations or alliances between... clubs affiliated, directly or indirectly, to different UEFA Member Associations may be formed without the permission of UEFA."
While I understand the desire to do this I wonder if this could actual push these clubs to go ahead with the Super Club plan.  

AAABatteries said:
While I understand the desire to do this I wonder if this could actual push these clubs to go ahead with the Super Club plan.  
Its coming. The main difference will be it will happen under a UEFA-branded product, there will be more games, and more meaningless games no one is watching, and the clubs will get much less money.

Eden Hazard is taking alot of heat in Spain due to these post-game images from yesterday. https://twitter.com/FrankKhalidUK/status/1390127242567618564?s=20

On the one hand, I completely agree - this would piss me off and I'm pretty laid back about these things.  There should be no surprise it will infuriate Madradistas.  On the other hand, this is 100% Hazard.  He has always played for fun, never been a leader, never cared much about results.  That's not a knock on him - I completely admire the guy's attitude.  Its the main reason I thought Madrid was making a huge mistake to pay $140m for him.

NewlyRetired said:
I talked about this in the Matchday thread but I will repeat here.  Curtin is arguably the most laid back and nicest guy you will ever see.  I have never seen him say boo about anyone in his career.

I think there had to have been a trigger here to cause Curtin to speak.
I think Heinze said something after the match. I was in and out of the match on my phone and turned it off when my phone was ready to die as I needed it to get him on Tues night so I have no idea what may have happened. From the pic I saw the two meeting Curtin had a perplexed looked when the two came face to face like the "what did I do wrong?" 

Heinze seems to what to fault everyone else and not hold himself or his players accountable for the loss in ATL and draw. They dominated the first half of the 1st leg and then it was all Union for the most part after that. Heinze is also a former Real Madrid player and everyone knows they and Barca love to run their mouths when things don't go their way 

NewlyRetired said:
From ESPN

===============

UEFA are ready to pursue severe disciplinary action against clubs that signed up to the Super League and have yet to sufficiently distance themselves from the project, multiple sources familiar with the situation have told ESPN.

This could result in the maximum punishment under the organization's disciplinary pathway, which is a two-year ban from the Champions League or Europa League.

UEFA have spent the past 10 days in conversation with the 12 clubs in an effort to agree a lesser sanction and extract a formal definitive commitment not to pursue the Super League effort. As of Wednesday, according to sources familiar with the situation, they had reached an understanding with seven clubs: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur. Inter Milan were close to an agreement as well, according to sources, though none has yet been reached.

The remaining four clubs -- Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and AC Milan -- have so far stuck to their positions and could face the UEFA disciplinary process for, among other things, violating Article 51 of the statutes, which states that "No combinations or alliances between... clubs affiliated, directly or indirectly, to different UEFA Member Associations may be formed without the permission of UEFA."
I heard this was completely fabricated idea from some journalist and no chance of happening. This is what I found 

Milan will not be suspended from European Cups (for 2 years) due to the Super League. Yesterday's information from ESPN is a journalists' invention.

[Milannews.it]

I heard this was completely fabricated idea from some journalist and no chance of happening. This is what I found 

Milan will not be suspended from European Cups (for 2 years) due to the Super League. Yesterday's information from ESPN is a journalists' invention.

[Milannews.it]
FWIW that was no hack who wrote the story.  It was Gabrielle Marcotti who is one of the most decorated sports writers in the world for his generation.  He writes for publications in the US, Scotland, England and Italy.  He is not prone to making stuff up out of thin air.

Its coming. The main difference will be it will happen under a UEFA-branded product, there will be more games, and more meaningless games no one is watching, and the clubs will get much less money.
Milan will fight UEFA and FIFA tooth and nail. FFP F'd them over big time and UEFA has even investigated Inter in the past months for book issues. Meanwhile they continue to allow loop holes such as PSG to sign Neymar, and either not punish at all or a slap on the wrist to other clubs who should be monitored. Going into the Super League Milan was only behind Arsenal in the least debt club. Meanwhile I think RM and Barca were the most in debt followed by most of the big 6 EPL and Juve in the mix. If it comes down to it Milan will tel UEFA to shove it. 

Stefano here for SempreMilan breaks it down great why Milan joined the Super League. it's barely 15 mins. I love these videos by him because despite being short they are right to the point and explained very well. I think Milan fans are so indecisive on this issues because 

1. We feel the team and ownership abandoned their life long supporters 

But at the sometime.......

2. We hate FIFA and UEFA for how much they've F'd us over while stroking other big clubs who are in worse financial shape then us and allowing them to go through loop holes. Milan has played ball with UEFA and cooperated and Elliot has as well only to see them Sh** in our hand countless times. 

The good and bad of Milan joining the SL and UEFA and FIFA's hypocrisy

FWIW that was no hack who wrote the story.  It was Gabrielle Marcotti who is one of the most decorated sports writers in the world for his generation.  He writes for publications in the US, Scotland, England and Italy.  He is not prone to making stuff up out of thin air.
I know it was Gabe but it wasn't his idea. It was taken from someone else. 

Seems just a little fishy....

Turkey, host of the #UCL final between Chelsea and Man City, has been added to the UK government's travel 'red list.’ Players would have to quarantine for 10 days on their return to the UK. The government is now in talks to move the final to England, reports

@Telegraph
Crappy but potentially brilliant thing to do if it’s intentional and being manipulated.

Turkey, host of the #UCL final between Chelsea and Man City, has been added to the UK government's travel 'red list.’ Players would have to quarantine for 10 days on their return to the UK. The government is now in talks to move the final to England, reports

@Telegraph
What "inconvenient" timing for this to happen.  Right before two English sides are supposed to play in Instanbul.

@Telegraph
Wish we had this option when Chelsea and Arsenal, who are less than 10 miles from each other, played the Europa Cup final in Baku a few yeas ago.  Can't complaint about the result, but that's ridiculous. 

This is pretty cool

=================

This will be the first time in history that ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox all air soccer games on the main channel in the same weekend.

What "inconvenient" timing for this to happen.  Right before two English sides are supposed to play in Instanbul.
I think we all and a lot of people should just boycott watching the final honestly. Both of these clubs took part in the Initial ESL and should've been eliminated from the competition this year. I feel bad because I like Steffen and CP is a local kid (to an extent) for me who I love but I can't root for either club who was involved in the ESL and stopping the Newcastle takeover. I hope a lot of Fans are PO'd enough they boycott the final 

rustycolts said:
Minnesota Vikings owner may purchase OCSC 400- 450 million.  Includes Stadium and Pride.
If that happens we'll never have to worry about Orlando contending for MLS Cup and if they do they'll just choke 

Juve  decided to sh** the bed vs Milan today which is much appreciated. Brahim Diaz a goal in ET at the end of the 1st half with a laser. Rebic who came on for Ibra with a really great goal snuck in a small area and a Tamoyri header in late. If it comes down to it now tied on pts for the last CL spot between these two clubs Milan would win the tie breaker. Milan needs to win all matches left up to the Atalanta match at the end of the season to have a CL spot. 

Sad to see Robo, Ream and Fulhamerica get relegated again.

Kinda sad that the EPL relegation situation is finalized already...that can be as fun/dramatic as the title race once it gets to the end of the season.

Sad to see Robo, Ream and Fulhamerica get relegated again.

Kinda sad that the EPL relegation situation is finalized already...that can be as fun/dramatic as the title race once it gets to the end of the season.
Been a very odd season.  relegation set with 3 games to go.

Winner is all but set, 2 of the top 4 are set.  

Excitment lies in who gets Europe. Assumig my math is correct!

City is top 2 guaranteed (and realistically is the winner, has been for a long time)
United is guaranteed top 4, could end up anywhere from 2-4th (thanks 3 games in 5 days including Leicester and Liverpoo)
Chelsea can end up anywhere from 2nd to 8th
Leicester and end up anywhere from 2nd to 8th
West Ham 3rd to 11th
Liverpool 3rd to 11th
Tottenham 3rd to 11th
Everton 3rd to 11th
Aresenal 5th to 13th

EPL is boring (again). Three way la liga race still in effect and I doubt that any of the 3 are mathematically eliminated from the title going into the 38th match. 

Even the bottom 6 teams in the table are only 5 points apart right now, so relegation battles are going ham too.

EPL is boring (again). Three way la liga race still in effect and I doubt that any of the 3 are mathematically eliminated from the title going into the 38th match. 

Even the bottom 6 teams in the table are only 5 points apart right now, so relegation battles are going ham too.
Serie A isn't boring. Still 3-5 teams fighting for multiple Champions league Spots. 3 teams fighting to keep relegation. 

Cue the American disbelief that a team can win a title on a day they didn't play!  :lmao:

Congrats to City for their 5th EPL title.  This season it was, inevitable.

B Maverick said:
Cue the American disbelief that a team can win a title on a day they didn't play!  :lmao:

Congrats to City for their 5th EPL title.  This season it was, inevitable.
After the way Pool strolled to the title last year and not really changing much I expected a team to win it easy but not City.  

Users who are viewing this thread